Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/11/2012 6:47:42 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Any more thoughts on Zaha would be appreciated - we're seemingly replacing Feo with him in January so it'd be nice to know if he's not rubbish or whatever.

Is Theo likely to go? I would have thought after his Henry-esque opener and subsequent hat trick the other night he'd be guaranteed a new contract. Especially if Wenger has finally seen the obvious and realised Theo's a better striker than winger.

Will Arsenal cough up for the wages though? If Theo is looking for 100K and they are only willing to put 75 grand on the table it might become tempting to him to move on.

Ah yeah, I forgot they were self-harmingly tight. Maybe he will leave then, just when he's starting to look like he could possibly realise his potential. It's the Arsenal Way

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4021
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/11/2012 7:02:57 PM   
Olaf

It's difficult to say really - some of the manager's comments after the game seem to suggest that he'll be playing through the centre at some point in the near future. But at the same time, I still think something would have been sorted by now if it was purely about his place in the team. And he got his hat trick on Tuesday as a wide striker with Giroud in the centre (I think, the formation was just kind of bizarre at the end of that game). Arguably the fluid three-man frontline suited him better than the orthodox CF position, since he was able to exploit space produced by Reading's defence being pulled out of shape.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 2/11/2012 7:03:36 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4022
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/11/2012 8:46:43 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

Zaha is not overrated, he is rated exactly right. I've seen him take apart a few teams almost singlehanded already this season (including Wolves - we were comfortable against Palace until he decided he'd had enough and crushed the defence).

I strongly disagree. He flaunts his way in and out of games, he's inconsistent and he lacks a decent cross (bear in mind he's technically a winger, not a striker as Palace have been playing him in a supporting role to Glen Murray recently, basically because they don't have anyone else), he has all the tricks but they will quickly get found out in the Prem and he needs to use the basics of the game a bit more to better himself, against us he was playing a makeshift left-back in Chris Solly and rarely beat him and when he did his final delivery was either poor or he would go for a shot from 30 odd yards out and find the top tier of the away fans. He reminds me of the way Rommedahl used to play for us.

Only Palace fans I know so far seem to think he's worth 20 million (which is a ridiuclous sum for an unproven premiership player)

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4023
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 2/11/2012 10:56:06 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

Zaha is not overrated, he is rated exactly right. I've seen him take apart a few teams almost singlehanded already this season (including Wolves - we were comfortable against Palace until he decided he'd had enough and crushed the defence).

I strongly disagree. He flaunts his way in and out of games, he's inconsistent and he lacks a decent cross (bear in mind he's technically a winger, not a striker as Palace have been playing him in a supporting role to Glen Murray recently, basically because they don't have anyone else), he has all the tricks but they will quickly get found out in the Prem and he needs to use the basics of the game a bit more to better himself, against us he was playing a makeshift left-back in Chris Solly and rarely beat him and when he did his final delivery was either poor or he would go for a shot from 30 odd yards out and find the top tier of the away fans. He reminds me of the way Rommedahl used to play for us.

Only Palace fans I know so far seem to think he's worth 20 million (which is a ridiuclous sum for an unproven premiership player)

I think we see two different players. I think he actually is a striker rather than a winger, precisely because his delivery and overall wing play isn't nearly as effective as his forward play. He has the power to trouble centre backs and the touch to play off another striker or do it on his own. And given he's only 19, you'd expect him to still be unpolished and inconsistent (most 19-year-olds are) but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the potential to have a career in the top tier.

Palace fans will obviously rave about him and I don't believe he's worth anywhere near 20m, but then I suppose a player is worth whatever a team wants to pay. If he was at Wolves I'd be very excited (and I suspect you would be if he was at Charlton rather than a team you dislike ). I don't actually expect him to leave Palace this season (unless a club come in with a ridiculous offer) but if he continues the season the way he's started I fully expect a PL team to chase after him in the summer.

quote:

And he got his hat trick on Tuesday as a wide striker with Giroud in the centre (I think, the formation was just kind of bizarre at the end of that game). Arguably the fluid three-man frontline suited him better than the orthodox CF position, since he was able to exploit space produced by Reading's defence being pulled out of shape.

He scored his first (and best) playing as an old-fashioned, Henry/Owen-style striker before Giroud came on the pitch. If Arsenal had remembered how to play football for the first 43 minutes we might well have seen more of that kind of impact (not that Giroud's impact harmed his performance in any way). As you say though, the club's stance on his contract seems murky to say the least.

< Message edited by superdan -- 2/11/2012 11:01:58 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4024
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 3/11/2012 7:58:20 AM   
jonson

I thought Zaha was their stand out player last weekend when Palace beat us. They were, as a team, far more physical and fitter than us, but everytime he got the ball you thought something would happen. He perhaps needs to sort his attitude out (he must have lost his temper and thrown his toys out 4 or 5 times when he had a couple of crunching tackles on him - get used to it kid) but he's only young.
I think he has ther size, speed and ability to go places, whether he's worth 20 million, well not on the 1 game I saw, but I'd be happy with him in the Leicester team.

Watford away today. Let's get back on track and back on top please City.
Up the Foxes.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4025
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 4/11/2012 1:48:21 AM   
Goodfella

Absolutely wank, and that goes for Powell's pitiful post-match press conference as well. Whereas in the previous six weeks we've struggled early in games and fought back towards the end, today we outplayed a decent Boro side for 30-odd minutes and then completely switched off, according to BBC London 94.9 it was like the power had gone out. We were nothing, we were a training excercise for a promotion-chasing team and we surrendered completely to the point of where there weren't any of our fans left to boo at the end because they'd either gone to the pub or gone home and who can blame them at 4-1 down on a bitterly cold and wet day like today.

Powell's nonsense about how well we did early on and there "is more to come" and "craving a complete 90 minute performance" is codswallop. This is going into two months now of playing like this and his squad selections are as equally infuriating as the performances, Lawrie Wilson switching back from defender to midfielder today and Salim Kerkar, who played striker last weekend, some kind of makeshift left-back apparently for the first half and despite being 3-1 down at home it took us until 15 minutes from the end to bring another striker on.

At this rate we're going down, I've made peace with that already, I've seen these cracks before and I've also seen the weightless defence of them from people within the club and I know where it ends up. Carlisle away at 7am is where it fucking ends up.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4026
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/11/2012 12:17:19 AM   
Goodfella

Frig me, WHAT A GAME!!

I have no idea what went on or how it went down as I was out playing skittles but I will take that to the bank and back! Mind you we shouldn't be conceding two goals in the last five minutes of injury time at home whatever the situation and cynicism aside, that needs to be sorted.

Mind you if someone had said to me this afternoon that will put five past Cardiff I would have laughed them to kingdom come!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4027
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/11/2012 7:44:31 AM   
jonson

I was listening to Leicester on the radio, and the Leicester commentators (Chris Powell fans obviously) were keeping us updated. When they were 2-0 down, they played the commentary, then within what seems like 15 minutes, they were both back on cheering because it was 3-2 to Charlton
I popped out to pick my daughter up from dancing, got back in the car and it was 5-2!!! I was hoping they'd switch from the Leicester game (a very good 0-0 fraw - I'll take that) and put that on.
Must have been a great game, I bet you wish you hadn'tbeen playing skittles now.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4028
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/11/2012 12:50:35 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I was listening to Leicester on the radio, and the Leicester commentators (Chris Powell fans obviously) were keeping us updated. When they were 2-0 down, they played the commentary, then within what seems like 15 minutes, they were both back on cheering because it was 3-2 to Charlton
I popped out to pick my daughter up from dancing, got back in the car and it was 5-2!!! I was hoping they'd switch from the Leicester game (a very good 0-0 fraw - I'll take that) and put that on.
Must have been a great game, I bet you wish you hadn'tbeen playing skittles now.

Yeah you're quite right, and we saw our five-game winning run stifled last night and as we lost to a team in the league that had only won one previous game on the slowest alley in extinction!! A night of two shocking results then for me!!

Gets us five points clear of the relegation zone ahead of Sunday's trip to Bristol City. No idea why it's a 3pm Sunday kick-off down there. It's not even on tele!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4029
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 7/11/2012 1:03:02 PM   
Scott_

Bollocks to this season. I dunno whats going on but I can't be arsed with it (football in general). Forgot we was playing last night, it's not good.

We lost anyway, seem to have hit one of those rough patches we go through. I don't see it getting much better with Millwall, Palace, Leicester and Huddersfield (If only we had somebody like Simon Grayson in charge...) coming up.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4030
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 9/11/2012 3:54:42 PM   
Goodfella

We've signed Eggert Jonsson and Dan Seaborne on loan, know a fair bit about Seaborne (he's a former Exeter player who was born about 15 miles away from me and also the victim of a savage nightclub attack a few years back) but not so much about Jonsson. I think with the injuries and very poor form we've had Powell is trying to bring more competition to the squad and I'm all for that but we've got a few more loan players in than I'd like at the minute but when you're not one of the biggest clubs in the second tier of English football that's reality and if it helps boost us into our first back-to-back wins of the season then I'm pleased to see it.

We've also signed Courtney Harris on a five-month contract following his summer release from Fulham. Not too sure about that but then again the last player we signed in these circumstances, no current club and in the processes of pursuing a career elsewhere, was Bradley Pritchard and that worked out very well so Harris could be another surprise to the system.

Bristol City away on Sunday. Won't be easy, they had a great start to the season and have been fading ever since, they desperately need a win and we desperately need the magical result against Cardiff on Tuesday night to be the start of something.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 9/11/2012 4:03:35 PM >

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4031
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 10/11/2012 10:30:20 PM   
Goodfella

I sat next to a Leeds fan in the pub after work today during Final Score. It was the first time he'd met my Dad so he kept making points about Leeds' wins over us, notably the 6-1 hammering at the Valley during the season they were relegated from the Premiership. Needless to say this came back to bite him in the arse about half hour later!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4032
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 11/11/2012 7:45:20 PM   
Goodfella

Another big three points today, we really needed to get the monkey of back-to-back wins off our backs and we did that with what Powelly described as "our only complete performance so far this season" so I'm looking forward to watching the highlights later. I know a few Bristol City fans who are completely in the dark as how they could start the season so well and then completely fall apart in the way they have, my heart goes out to them, they're a good club with a very passionate and dedicated support, Bristol is one of those smaller cities where the surprise is when wandering about the precincts and whatnot on a Saturday you are actually more likely to see City and Rovers shirts about than the usual assortment of United and Chelsea that you seem to get everywhere else these days!

Good to see Danny Haynes back out there after an early injury blow and amongst the goals. He's performing well, as are Fuller and Hulse and with Kermorgant still to come back then BWP needs to step it up! No room for passengers in this league and if he's not up to it then I'm more than happy to see Powelly cash in on him at some stage over the next year. We made that mistake under Pardew and Parkinson, just handing out paycheques and letting players subside in our team and in the process drag us down, that can't happen again and it appears Powell knows this (he's made some big changes in the past few weeks, prominent players from last season like BWP, Hollands and Green can't get in the matchday squads at the minute, let alone out on the pitch). I really hope this is the first sign of us starting to find our feet again at this level and I'm looking forward to the next game now!

Above Bolton, Birmingham, Wednesday and Leeds in the league as well. Big club? So what!!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4033
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/11/2012 1:17:58 PM   
Scott_

Balls.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4034
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/11/2012 1:38:38 PM   
superdan

Apparently you don't want to mess with Solbakken given he punched a hole in the roof of the dugout after Brighton equalised on Saturday I think that's 6 games without a win now, although getting a draw in the last few minutes can feel more like a win. The defence really needs to shape up, we're scoring goals but can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives at the moment.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4035
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 12/11/2012 1:45:30 PM   
jonson

Pretty dissapointed wiht a draw on Saturday. We had the most of the play, Forest were shit and the penalty was a bad decision. In all honesty, I thought it was a penalty from where I was sitting, but looking back at it again (on SKY) when I got home, no wonder Nigel Pearson was so pissed off.
Still, it's a point, hopefully we can give Ipswich a battering on Saturday. It's about time we thumped someone, although to be fair once Nugent went off on Saturday I struggle to see where ours goals are coming from.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4036
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 17/11/2012 6:14:28 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

hopefully we can give Ipswich a battering on Saturday.

Yeah, I'll take 6-0

Ipswich were quite possibly the worst team I have seen in a long time, although we played really well. We looked like promotion candidates today, lets keep it going now.....

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4037
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/11/2012 4:03:16 PM   
Goodfella

Great win yesterday, so glad we have managed to turn the stunning result against Cardiff into a bit of momentum and hopefully we can take this on, we have Huddersfield at home next week and despite their impressive start to the season, I fancy our chances against them at the Valley.

Haynes is the main man at the minute, back in the squad after an indifferent start to his life as a Charlton player with injuries not helping and he's back out playing on the wing where he used to for Barnsley rather than as a striker and that shift seems to have helped him, three goals in his only three appearances so far this season and I would fancy if the form of the front-men like Haynes, Fuller and Hulse continues and Kermorgant comes back and Cook and Smith continue to develop, then I think BWP will be on his way next summer. He's not even coming off the bench these last few games. We've also loaned out both Wagstaff and Hollands, two players who have also struggled to cut it at championship level and I think they'll both leave the club within the next 12 months.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4038
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 18/11/2012 4:04:18 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Balls.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4039
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/11/2012 3:05:32 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

Balls.

Nothing from you boys yet regards the takeover?

Maybe you're the level-headed Leeds fans. Not the ones who think they're going to sign Neymar and Zaha in January.

Huddersfield tommorow and I quite fancy our chances. Confidence is high at the minute and the Valley should be right behind them, Frimpong is a quality signing and Powell has plenty of depth from which to choose from now, Haynes is on fire and the defence is starting to turn up more. I'm going to say we might even do this one 3-0, it's a brave prediction but I think we'll really take it to them tomorrow.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4040
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/11/2012 4:41:42 PM   
Scott_

quote:

quote:

quote:

Balls.

Maybe you're the level-headed Leeds fans. Not the ones who think they're going to sign Neymar and Zaha in January.

Bleh....took so fucking long that by the time it happened I couldn't have cared less.

I'll let you know my thoughts after any potential January deals are done. It's too soon to judge me thinks...

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4041
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 23/11/2012 5:22:35 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Balls.

Bleh....took so fucking long that by the time it happened I couldn't have cared less.

I'll let you know my thoughts after any potential January deals are done. It's too soon to judge me thinks...

I'm thinking Warnock doesn't see January and Di Matteo is brought in.

That's my early predicition anyway.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4042
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/11/2012 8:13:43 AM   
Goodfella

In the end a fair result as the sending off was a terrible decision, it's a 50/50 challenge on a wet surface, they both go in for it and Southern gets the ball before the man. Most of our players didn't even protest, it was needless and it changed the face of the game. Is it me or are the refs at this level getting worse? Hopefully the lad wins his appeal, he shouldn't miss a game because of that.

But with the extra man we still should have won it and that can only be disappointing from our perspective.

Still we're well ahead of the relegation zone, Palace got brought back down to earth and we're at home to Peterborough on Tuesday night so things sitll looking up!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4043
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/11/2012 11:11:42 AM   
Olaf

was DENCH playing? how did he do?

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4044
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 26/11/2012 11:35:30 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

was DENCH playing? how did he do?

Dench? I take it that's Frimpong?

Well there's a chant for him already, something to do with being better than Alex Song already, so, yeah, I'd say he did fairly well.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 4045
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 28/11/2012 8:08:17 AM   
Goodfella

Well that was just the result we were looking for after Saturday. I had a horrible feeling with it being goalless going into the last twenty minutes that Posh were going to nick one, and it sounds like up until that point they'd played the better football but we have the better finishers in Fuller and Kermit, and by the sounds of it that made the difference in the end. It's great to have Kermit back after his injury and that was his first start last night and he's already back on the scoresheet, if we can sign Hulse as well in January, I think it's bye-bye BWP.

This sets us up nicely for the derby trip to Millwall on Saturday in which another three points would be absolutely delightful!

What's the betting Dave Jones doesn't make it to this evening as well....

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4046
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/12/2012 11:51:39 AM   
jonson

If there's one game I always want to win, it's against the sheep-shaggers.
Relegated to the annoying 5.20pm slot, we need a good result on TV. Missing David Nugent again, but I think there's goals in the team, we've got in Wes Brown the best centre back I've seen at Leicester for over 10 years (Forest fan friends were telling me how good he is but I've been surprised at just how big, quick and organised he is - player of the season so far)
A good result for us with Birmingham beating boro last night, we need to capitalise and close the gap on Cardiff and Palace, 2 teams who I think will both be there at the end of the season.
Up the Foxes!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 4047
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/12/2012 4:59:19 PM   
superdan

Fuck me we needed that result. What a relief!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4048
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/12/2012 6:52:36 PM   
Scott_

Luciano, I love you. Please don't ever leave! Awesome win, 3 wins on the bounce now, more please. If we can keep going and get ourselves in play-off contention then add some new faces in January maybe we can dream a little...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4049
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 1/12/2012 7:07:25 PM   
Goodfella

It all got nice and ugly at the Den, and I'm not talking about the game! The police horses were called out again and people I know are only just getting back know, the idea of not having to bring out the steel cage at the end by the Met Police was quickly written off by 4.45pm!

Sounds like we had to battle hard for the point but I'll take it. We'll have 'em at the Valley!

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 4050
Page:   <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  133 134 [135] 136 137   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI