Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! - 13/8/2007 7:37:03 AM   
jonson

I suppose we need another thread for non-Premiership clubs, somewhere to share the excitment and the agony, to celebrate proper football away from dodgy foreigners, arrogant managers and overpaid tosspots. 

Well I enjoyed our first game of the season even though we lost to bloody Blackpool (though I do like their kit)
We played well, deserving a point at least as we hit the woodwork twice and their keeper made some fine saves. There was a bit of controversy over their goal. We had Chambers go down in the box, clearly in pain (you can tell when they're not faking it) and the Leicester players were obviously expecting the Blackpool players to put the ball out, but they didn't and promptly scored (after probably a minute though) The bloke in front of me was out of his seat, screaming at 'pool manager Simon Grayson calling him a cheating twat etc.
Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. It wasn't a head wound, the referee played on and if it had been up the other end, I'd have been gutted if Leicester had put the ball out, especially when you are attacking their final third.
All in all I expected a win, I thought we possibly deserved it but played some decent football at times. Expectations were high among players and fans (myself included) so maybe this will prove to be no bad result by the end of the season.
Or am I just being over-optimistic again?
Still I wasn't despondant after just 1 match, truth be known despite losing I had a great day, it was just nice to get back down the City watching football again and having a few beers.
Up the Foxes!

< Message edited by jonson -- 8/8/2009 10:31:48 AM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 1
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 9:51:56 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

My local team (who I don't support) drew to Grays 0-0 yesterday. But I'm not too upset.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 2
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 9:56:40 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Morning Jonson,

Well after all the excitment building upto the game I can't say I wasn't disapointed.

The good.

Beattie was emence hit the woodwork and grabbed a goal in his first game which I think is important for him. He'll end up with 20 goals this season at least.

Billy Sharp.  The lads still a little raw but I think will make a good partnership with Beattie. Good movement and looks up for the season.

Hendrie: Looks a class above everyone else on the pitch.  I don't think in this league he should be on the left but behind the front two where he can influence the game more.

The bad.

Matthew Killgallon.  My god we have a potential Bramble on our hands, wake up and concentrate for fucks sake.

Leggy and Monty in the middle together.  Well I've not been a huge Monty fan for a while and wished we taken the 3 Million Birmingham offered us.  He tries really hard and always gets stuck in but on the ball he can't pass, can't shoot and has basically shits himself.  Leggy is pretty much the same apart from he doesn't always get stuck in. In this league by all means play one but not both in the centre.   Bring Hendrie in from the left and put Tonge out there.

So disapointed with the Desmond on the first game put its a point. We now have Watford away, West Brom home, Scunny away, Wolves home.
I wanted 10 points from each set of 5 games so we'll see how we get on although I think its a tough month ahead. On the plus side if we are in the top 3 after those games I think we'll of done well.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 13/8/2007 9:57:48 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 10:53:59 AM   
Professor Moriarty

A solid 0-0 away draw for the mighty Chesterfield against Chester on Saturday. 

Going to be the start of our big cup run tomorrow night as we face Sheff Utd away in the 3-handled competition. 

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 4
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 11:04:45 AM   
James2183

0-0 draw with Hereford for us mighty Millers and from the sounds of it we didn't play that well. Hopefully we can improve and push for a promotion place, but a lot of that rests of Robbins new signings working together well. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 11:13:51 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Gotta feel sorry for the Carlisle manager, who's got the boot already.  Now that's decisive action if team doesn't get off to a winning start...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/carlisle_united/6944015.stm

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 6
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 11:14:52 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

A solid 0-0 away draw for the mighty Chesterfield against Chester on Saturday. 

Going to be the start of our big cup run tomorrow night as we face Sheff Utd away in the 3-handled competition. 

Really looking forward to the game against town I haven't been to a league cup game for years.
Hopefully we will stick with Sharp and Beattie upfront to give them more chance to gel. 

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Post #: 7
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 11:40:47 AM   
jonson

quote:

Gotta feel sorry for the Carlisle manager, who's got the boot already.  Now that's decisive action if team doesn't get off to a winning start...

There must be more than meets the eye to that. Bloody ridiculous to boot him out after 1 match (and it's not as if they even lost!)
Why do these Chairmen make these stupid decisions? If they weren't confident in him they should have kicked him out before the start of the season.
Bizarre.

The famous Accrington Stanley (who are they?) in the Cup tomorrow night. After the weekend loss we should fill our boots and get a win under our belts.
Hopefully.

Post #: 8
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 13/8/2007 11:59:17 AM   
theram05

quote:

Zero tolerance approach to 1-1 draws at Carlisle apparently.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

Post #: 9
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 14/8/2007 10:58:54 PM   
jonson

Well we managed a 1-0 win against Accrington.
After scoring after 4 minutes I was hoping for a few goals and a bit of a confidence booster, but hey, a win's a win.
I see Morecombe beat Preston, fab result away for them.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 10
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 15/8/2007 4:35:35 AM   
LB Jeffries

I miss this thread already.
Not that I'd rather we hadn't made it to the Prem but the Championship is far and away the most exciting league in the world. Fact.
I think I'll adopt a Championship side so I can keep coming here. Just because I love their manager so much I'm going to plump for the mighty Pilgrims.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 11
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 15/8/2007 6:38:45 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Fekking 1 game cup runs

Post #: 12
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 15/8/2007 11:52:50 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

We were shit for the first half and conceeded within 5 mins of scoring again.

Still the second half was much improoved and although Felix likes to give him stick I do like Stead, I think he will do a great job at this level.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 13
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 15/8/2007 1:13:53 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

Zero tolerance approach to 1-1 draws at Carlisle apparently.

Bloody hell. Good job he didn't lose! I dread to imagine what've happened to him.

On another note the Mighty Bristol Rovers beat Palace on pens last night, meaning we're in the League Cup Second Round Draw. Here's hoping for a prem side.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 14
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 21/8/2007 5:28:36 PM   
Beno

You have got Strikers to spare at Sheff. Utd Bob , how about a formation that would utilise four strikers on the pitch at any given time like Big Sam likes to try at Toon . And question ; is Billy Sharp injured or what ??

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 15
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 10:22:34 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

You have got Strikers to spare at Sheff. Utd Bob , how about a formation that would utilise four strikers on the pitch at any given time like Big Sam likes to try at Toon . And question ; is Billy Sharp injured or what ??

I think Stead might be on his way before the transfer window is done and if I were in charge Danny Webber would also be on his way.  I think in Beattie, Sharpe and Hulse we have an excellent potental forward line but it needs time to click and with Hulse out it means pairing up BT and Billy.  A pairing I would expect to get us at least 35 goals between them this year.

I would say give it 10 games and see where we are, the one position we are still crying outfor it a creative midfielder with everyone and their son being linked.

What this space is all I can offer at this time.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 16
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 1:36:34 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

we are still crying outfor it a creative midfielder

Harder to find than strikers IMO.
We've been after one since Muzzy Izzett left. They are few and far between.
I was hoping Stpehen Clemence would be ours but not too sure after seeing him in all of 1 game.

Just out of interest but I'm sponsoring the match ball this weekend against Watford.
A 4 course meal, tour of the stadium (I've done that 3 times already though) free bar (which will get used ) and the ball presented by the man of the match (which knowing my luck will be a Watford player )
The only downside is I have to give up my season tickets and sit in the Directors box, whihc sounds great but you have to tone it down and get funny looks off the proper supporters. I might just get hammered and make a fool of myself. Hopefully Elton John will be there and I can try and nick his wig.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 17
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 1:40:27 PM   
Professor Moriarty

This from our new striker Jack Lester "I'm looking forward to being at Chesterfield and hopefully winning something here." 

Jack... you've joined Chesterfield, not Chelsea.  We don't win nowt*.  But I'll happily lend you my copy of the Great 1997 FA Cup Robbery if you like.

At least Bob'll know the name after the screamer he put past the Blades in the 3-handled Cup.

* Not quite true as we had glory days in 69/70 and 84/85 in winning what was then and sadly still describes our play now the 4th Division. 

Well fuck-me-backwards with a large stick.  We also won the Anglo-Scottish Cup in 80/81.  I've never heard of this, but it sounds like an international (almost European honours if you will) version of the LDV vans trophy.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 22/8/2007 1:42:12 PM >

Post #: 18
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 1:46:45 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

This from our new striker Jack Lester "I'm looking forward to being at Chesterfield and hopefully winning something here." 

Jack... you've joined Chesterfield, not Chelsea.  We don't win nowt*.  But I'll happily lend you my copy of the Great 1997 FA Cup Robbery if you like.

At least Bob'll know the name after the screamer he put past the Blades in the 3-handled Cup.

* Not quite true as we had glory days in 69/70 and 84/85 in winning what was then and sadly still describes our play now the 4th Division. 

Well fuck-me-backwards with a large stick.  We also won the Anglo-Scottish Cup in 80/81.  I've never heard of this, but it sounds like an international (almost European honours if you will) version of the LDV vans trophy.

Jack Lesters a great little player, I was a little sad to see him go.  I think he'll do a great job for you plus he's a really nice fella if you meet him in Xanadu.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 19
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 1:52:08 PM   
jonson

quote:

Jack Lesters a great little player, I was a little sad to see him go.  I think he'll do a great job for you plus he's a really nice fella if you meet him in Xanadu.

I went round his flat once when he played for Nottingham Forest. Don't ask why but yes, he is a nice fella.
I went round Chris Bart-Williams in the same week and I thought he was an arrogant git. Fit girlfriend though.

Post #: 20
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 1:55:06 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I've at least caught onto the cunning plan now Bob, which is after years of obscurity in Division 3/2/1 (you know the one the second to bottom one), they've decided that glory can be found by being relegated from there and then promoted... genius that I'm sure Ernie Moss would appreciate.

Sadly if his season goes on like its started i'm seriously considering putting him in my All Time Chesterfield Great 11 next to Kevin Davies,

Post #: 21
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 2:05:51 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

I went round Chris Bart-Williams in the same week and I thought he was an arrogant git.

What ever happened to him. 

quote:

I've at least caught onto the cunning plan now Bob, which is after years of obscurity in Division 3/2/1 (you know the one the second to bottom one), they've decided that glory can be found by being relegated from there and then promoted... genius that I'm sure Ernie Moss would appreciate.

I used to pretend being Ernie Moss when we used to play football on the park and even used to go to his shop for my boots.   Ironic that I seem to have developed his build in my latter years.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 22/8/2007 2:06:51 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 22
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 2:11:48 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

I went round Chris Bart-Williams in the same week and I thought he was an arrogant git.

What ever happened to him. 

Didn't he refuse to leave Forest when they were trying to off-load players cos they had no money and he got stuck in the reserves? 

lol.. I've looked him up on Wikipedia now, which lists him as been out of contract since he left a Maltese club.  There is an entry on his page in his Charlton Athletic days saying "eats cats" (and maybe pussy we don't know), its sad to see a once good player being brought down to that level.. I mean playing for Charlton

Post #: 23
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 3:06:00 PM   
jonson

He did leave for Charlton last I knew. I saw him on a cold snowy February day, and he was just off to training (I was working in his house) I said "I bet it's cold training in this" and he just looked at me and replied "course it fucking is, it's snowing" and walked off. Twat. I was just trying to have a conversation and he was obviously above that.
I got my own back by writing "CBW is a tosser" on the back of a piece of furniture.
Wikipedia says he's 5'10". I'd debate that to be honest, he seemed much taller.

Post #: 24
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 22/8/2007 3:12:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I said "I bet it's cold training in this" and he just looked at me and replied "course it fucking is, it's snowing"

I can see a Sky Sports job looming with this ability to state the fekking obvious.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 25
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 23/8/2007 3:26:51 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Sheffield United have agreed a deal with Bolton for Stelios.  Probably the fat fucker with the airline knowing us.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sheffield-utd/Stelios-in-Blades39-sights.3142894.jp

http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10418~1098159,00.html

Well if he can be pursuaded to join I think it would be a great signing for a championship club and if it comes off Robson will have delievered another top target.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 26
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 24/8/2007 8:11:25 AM   
jonson

That's a great signing Bob. I had him in my Sun dream team a couple of seasons ago and he was outstanding. He'll be a top player in this division that's for sure.
I'm sure he used to have his full surname on the back of his shirt when he first came to England? Now it's just Stelios, which as you say, reminds you of the EasyJet bloke with the big eyebrows and gormless smile.

Post #: 27
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 24/8/2007 11:10:49 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

That's a great signing Bob. I had him in my Sun dream team a couple of seasons ago and he was outstanding. He'll be a top player in this division that's for sure.
I'm sure he used to have his full surname on the back of his shirt when he first came to England? Now it's just Stelios, which as you say, reminds you of the EasyJet bloke with the big eyebrows and gormless smile.

I hear Kevin McCabe will insist on him using Giannakopolous on the back of his shirts in order to fund the on going legal bid.

Still a way off as he is injured and Robson need to convinced him to come.  I would be doubtful but he managed it with Beattie who I would argue would be a more difficult player to pursuade.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 24/8/2007 11:19:01 AM   
Beno

Good signing Bob , he will do the biz for you .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

Post #: 29
RE: The Championship and worse thread 2007/08 - 24/8/2007 7:20:21 PM   
Hooch0959

Great singing that Bob, can he play tomorrow against the Albion?  The Albion sign their 12th player of the season in Polish International Striker Bartosz Sulsarski  The 25 year old has scored a career 41 goals from 97 starts, make of that what you will, but bloody hell 12 players in, I've never known a season like it and we still haven't spent as much as we made on Koumas and Kamara.  Now if we can just get rid of Davies we might have a chance again this year.  I'm fearing the Robson backlash tomorrow though I can see Bramall Lane, The Valley, St Marys and the Custard Bowl being the four hardest away trips of the season

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Championship and worse thread 2009/2010!!!!! Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI