Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Everton FC 2010-11

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Everton FC 2010-11 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 15/8/2010 9:03:57 AM   
directorscut

I hope that kit yesterday was the one-off result of:

a) a joke
b) a bet
c) a charity cause.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 391
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 15/8/2010 4:01:01 PM   
foz

The official explanation is that Everton won their first league title (1890-91) wearing pink, and that the colour is an aid to players spotting teammates from further in their peripheral vision.

A more cynical person may also point out that since the ultra-revered King of Thailand wore a pink suit a couple of years ago, pink is the colour of clothing choice right across his country.  Everton are sponsored by a Thai brewery, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 392
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 11/9/2010 3:45:50 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Great result for Everton. Good to see Utd getting punished for not converting a myriad of chances they had when they were already 3-1 up. I'm aways impressed when each transfer window closes and they still have Arteta. One of my favourite players in the world.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 11/9/2010 3:56:25 PM >

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 393
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 11/9/2010 7:27:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I loved Moyes at the end of the game....classic over reaction but funny as hell.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 394
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 13/9/2010 1:20:37 PM   
Toby Monroe

No idea as to what Moyes was complaining about at the end. It's not rugby, it ends when it ends.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 395
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 17/2/2011 1:22:24 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Anyone think Everton could be in trouble?

Moyes said of their last performance it was one of the worst he's seen. They are in 13th and with a good goal difference advantage over the teams below them, but only 3 points off the relegation zone (with a game in hand).

In their last 5 games of the season they have:
- Utd (A) who could be looking for the title then
- Wigan and West Brom (A) who may be in a relegation fight with them
- Man City and Chelsea (H) who could be looking for Champions League qualification

Be interesting to see if Moyes can get some steel back in the team and if he even still has the fight, he must be despairing a little of the inability Kenwright to find a buyer and even if they stay up you could see clubs coming in for the likes of Baines, Jagielka and Rodwell.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 396
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 24/7/2012 8:44:04 AM   
Harry Lime

Crikey. I can't believe how long it has been seen I last posted in this thread!

Anyway. Farewell Tim Cahill. You've been a great servant for our club. Picked up for a mere £1.5m in 2004 and offering a return of 278 games, 68 goals and 38 assists, you must go down as one of the shrewdest signings of the Premier League era. Plus, your goal celebration was awesome. You go with our love and blessing.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

Post #: 397
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 25/7/2012 1:33:55 PM   
horribleives

Shame the last thing he did as an Everton player was get sent off for being a cunt.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 398
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 25/7/2012 6:24:43 PM   
Harry Lime

I can't defend Cahill's actions but "a cunt" might be a bit harsh. Cabaye clearly said something that went way beyond the average football pitch banter and even went as far as apologising for his role in the spat. Both players have since refused to repeat what had been said. Yes, Cahill lost the plot and thoroughly deserved his red card but let us not paint the incident as an act of non-provoked twattery.

http://www.france24.com/en/20120515-cahill-slams-cabaye-after-accepting-ban

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 399
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 20/8/2012 12:10:20 PM   
Toby Monroe

Cahill's departure is a bigger loss to the dressing room than it is the pitch. His influence had diminished greatly over the last 2 years. Still, if ever there was a player that embodied the spirit of the Moyse era it was/is Cahill. I can't say i'm overly fussed by Rodwell's departure. I never quite got the hype that surrounded him. He was often criticised for his lateral approach to the game, and considering the outcome of his attempt at passing forward on Sunday, it's probably best if he sticks to his sideways approach to ball distribution. 12 mil seems like a good price.

Can Naismith cut it in the Prem? I dunno. Can the new Belgian recruit cut it in the Prem? Or will he flander?

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 400
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 20/8/2012 1:03:53 PM   
Harry Lime

I'm not totally convinced by the Naismith signing but I'm happy to have him on-board. If he can chip in with the odd crucial goal it will be a good return. Any more than that then it will be a massive bonus. However, I'm really looking forward to seeing Mirallas pull on the blue shirt. I've only seen a little bit of him but he looks like he could fit into our system nicely. If he and Jelavic click together, Goodison Park might see their most exciting forward line for many years.

I totally agree with your comments regarding Cahill. He epitomised the work ethic and drive that Moyes has re-instilled in the club. I'm a little bit disappointed to see Rodwell go though. Yes, he hasn't come on quite as quickly as I would have hoped but another couple of years under Moyes could have really seen him step up to another level. Obviously a move to the cash-rich league champions is a move that is hard to turn down but I worry that he could get lost among all the star names. That would be a crying shame.

Anyway. I'm surprisingly confident about the new season. In recent years we have been blighted by terrible starts to our campaigns and have come on strong after Christmas. We have a tough match this evening but I think we have the strength in the squad to mount a campaign that could see us qualify for the Europa League at the very least... As long as we don't lose Baines or the strolling midfield genius that is Fellaini before the transfer window closes!

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 20/8/2012 1:04:19 PM >

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 401
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 21/8/2012 8:05:40 AM   
jonson

Thrilling game last night.
I have been quite critical of Everton in the past, I have even, I'm ashamed to admit, been known to question Fellaini's work rate and general ability. This is kind of confession time I guess.
Thoroughly deserved to win. Despite what the ManU fans might say about lack of midfeild, injuries to defenders etc, they were made to look piss poor. Everton were more up-for-it, more organised, more willing to chase and certainly they looked solid as a unit. And Fellaini was God-like.
As a team of 11, they could push anyone, I don't know what your squad is like but I was more than impressed with last night's showing.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 402
RE: Everton FC 2010-11 - 21/8/2012 6:21:42 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Thrilling game last night.
I have been quite critical of Everton in the past, I have even, I'm ashamed to admit, been known to question Fellaini's work rate and general ability. This is kind of confession time I guess.
Thoroughly deserved to win. Despite what the ManU fans might say about lack of midfeild, injuries to defenders etc, they were made to look piss poor. Everton were more up-for-it, more organised, more willing to chase and certainly they looked solid as a unit. And Fellaini was God-like.
As a team of 11, they could push anyone, I don't know what your squad is like but I was more than impressed with last night's showing.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 403
Kevin Sheedy - Get Well Soon - 22/8/2012 12:52:11 PM   
Harry Lime

Sad to hear that academy coach and bona-fide Goodison legend Kevin Sheedy has been diagnosed with bowel cancer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19343692

Sheedy was a massive childhood idol of mine, possessing perhaps the most lethal and sweetest left foot of his generation and being an integral part of Everton's glory years of the mid-1980's - picking up two league titles, an FA Cup winners medal and a European Cup Winners Cup. We wish you a speedy recover Kev.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 404
RE: Kevin Sheedy - Get Well Soon - 28/8/2012 8:59:23 AM   
Harry Lime

Another hugely satisfying win at the weekend. Yes, I have doubts that Aston Villa have the players to keep them in the top flight this season but, nonetheless, our first half performance was devastating. We took our foot off the pedal in the second half and allowed their ten men an undeserved consolation but we had it in the bag by then and were denied a fourth by a close (but correct) offside call against debutant Mirallas.

Transfer window closes this week. We need to keep hold of Baines, Jagielka, Pienaar and Fellaini. We do that and I genuinely believe that we will make the Europa League at the very minimum. It's a long, hard and gruelling season and we have a small squad but if, by some miracle, we keep our main players fit I think we could still be in the mix for a Champions League spot come May.

It also look like we lost out on the signature of M'Baye Niang this morning. He's heading to Milan instead. Shame. I was quite excited by the prospect of Moyes bagging him. The links to Charlie Adam and Michael Owen also persist. I really don't see what either will bring to our club.

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 28/8/2012 9:05:25 AM >

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 405
RE: Kevin Sheedy - Get Well Soon - 28/8/2012 6:18:29 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think 4th is up for grabs. Everton are not favourites for it, but look at their finishes over the last few seasons. Their problem will be keeping going to April, when other teams may have more freedom in the January window.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 406
Everton FC 2012-13 - 29/8/2012 11:26:01 PM   
Harry Lime

Yeah. I think you're right Prof. I think the top three will be Manchester City, Manchester Utd and Chelsea but that final champions league spot could be taken by any one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle Utd or Everton.

On paper, we certainly have the thinnest squad but I would also fancy our fully fit first XI against that of any one belonging to that lot. Unfortunately, we probably wouldn't be able to bolster in January without selling one of our marquee names and a couple of key injuries could derail us altogether. I still have a sneaky suspicion that Liverpool may get fourth this year. Brendan Rodgers has a great footballing philosophy and he's capable of building a young and attractive footballing force with the likes of Allen, Sterling and the newly arrived Sahin. Something isn't right at Arsenal whilst I think Newcastle peaked last season and could be vulnerable to a few clubs sharking in before transfer deadline closes. I see Tottenham have completed the signing Dembélé today - which is a fantastic buy for them and certainly one that could push them up a place.

Anyway, granted that it it is hard to take too much from a league cup victory over Leyton Orient, but a five goal performance more than demonstrates the confidence flowing around Goodison Park at the minute - particularly as Moyes made six changes from Saturday. Fantastic to see Mirallas bang in a brace on his home debut, as well as being credited with two assists. He looked pretty hungry when he came on as sub against Villa so that bodes pretty well.

Just a few days until transfer window closes. I'm still praying for no late bids on Baines or Fellaini and am still wondering if Moyes has any tricks up his sleeve too.

On a side note, I see Stoke have made a bid for Liverpool's Charlie Adam. Hopefully that will finally put the rumours of a move across Stanley Park well and truly to bed!

Post #: 407
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 29/8/2012 11:42:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Like you, I'd hope Everton don't pick up Michael Owen. I'd prefer to see you take Macheda on loan if you are gonna have an unwanted Utd forward. The lad is not top top quality, but I could see Moyes working with him. In the same vein Paul Ince's lad, Tom would be a better bet than Charlie Adam IMO.

If I were Moyes.... I read something about money problems in China and I'd be on the phone to Drogba straight off. We know Everton can pay a wage and he'd repay that.

I'm not rating Spurs. They are still working through the transfer window, but I see them top 6. It's a building year, I'm not a huge fan of AvB, but they will come good.
Newcastle I'd worry about. If they keep their names it's a good transfer window, they have a solid team.
Liverpool I think will take too long to get going, these are big changes they are undertaking.
Arsenal should walk 4th, but AW needs to realise that his new forwards lack the fluency of Henry or RvP. But he's done it too many times to not do it again.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 408
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 29/8/2012 11:59:45 PM   
Rinc

Let's face it Everton are going to finish below Liverpool whatever happens this season.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 409
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 30/8/2012 12:28:30 AM   
superdan

Everton are fucked because I've picked 3 of their players for my dream team. Sorry guys.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 410
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 30/8/2012 9:13:19 AM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Like you, I'd hope Everton don't pick up Michael Owen. I'd prefer to see you take Macheda on loan if you are gonna have an unwanted Utd forward. The lad is not top top quality, but I could see Moyes working with him. In the same vein Paul Ince's lad, Tom would be a better bet than Charlie Adam IMO.

If I were Moyes.... I read something about money problems in China and I'd be on the phone to Drogba straight off. We know Everton can pay a wage and he'd repay that.

Haha! I would love it if that happened out of the blue but I suspect that it is a pipe dream! At the same time, as awesome as he is, he doesn't fit into Everton's transfer policy. Would Moyes sacrifice his ego-free team ethic for the signature of a massive, albeit brilliant, figure who could upset the general psychology of the squad.

Tom Ince is an interesting one. Certainly the type of young talent Moyes would take a punt on. I've not seen too much of him but he has always impressed when I have. He was awesome against Ipswich at the weekend. I'm not sure about Macheda though. I think we need more defensive cover, to be honest. Another centre back and another full back.

Post #: 411
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 30/8/2012 12:37:46 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

I think we need more defensive cover, to be honest. Another centre back and another full back.

Speaking of which, looks like we might have beaten West Brom to the signature of Bryan Oviedo...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19423536

Moyes really does seem to be stretching the Rodwell cash with some solid buys. However, I really hope that he has been brought in for his versatility and not as a preemptive replacement for Baines.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 412
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 5/9/2012 12:43:56 PM   
Harry Lime

Really disappointing result against West Bromwich Albion at the weekend. We probably deserved a point over the whole ninety minutes but WBA have got a strong unit and a quality (somewhat unsung) manager and will give plenty of opponents a good hard game over the course of the season. As for us, hopefully the defeat will not have dented our early season confidence too much and we can get back on track with a better performance and three points against Newcastle Utd after the international break.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 413
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 5/9/2012 1:06:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Didn't even see the highlights. But I saw some wags suggesting that players like Fellaini might not try as hard now the transfer window closed. Not something I'd agree with, but I wondered if you thought there was anything in that.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 414
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 5/9/2012 1:23:01 PM   
Harry Lime

I don't think so. Fellaini has always been prone to the odd bad match but he has always been willing to get stuck in and lay his body on the line for the cause. He spurned a couple of decent chances on Saturday but I don't think he's going to go missing in action until January 1st!

Post #: 415
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 17/9/2012 9:58:59 PM   
Harry Lime

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 416
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 17/9/2012 10:03:12 PM   
Goodfella

Robbed by a linesman, yet again, who wasn't in the right position. Officials need to start being fined for this, end of, they won't get every decision 100% right but that's ridiculous and they deserve the same punishment managers and players get.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 417
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 17/9/2012 10:07:25 PM   
superdan

Yeah, Everton were robbed. Newcastle played well in the second half but it should have been 4-2. Cracking game though, and fair play to Steve Harper showing some sportsmanship too.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 418
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 17/9/2012 10:18:54 PM   
Saltire

Cracking game, full of incidents; Newcastle came out second half and started to show their quality, though Everton were so unfortunate the linesman didn't have his glasses on!

It seemed a great atmosphere there tonight; these old grounds can still generate some noise can't they.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 419
RE: Everton FC 2012-13 - 17/9/2012 11:16:59 PM   
horribleives

Aye, give me the likes of Goodison, Anfield, White Hart Lane and my beloved St James' over those identikit enormodomes any old day of the week.
Dreadful decisions on Fellain's 'offsider' and the goal-line clearance that wasn't but obviously I'm not gonna complain too vociferously. Brillaint result for us anyway considering how Everton absolutely pissed on us in the first half.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 420
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Everton FC 2010-11 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI