Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Excalibur - 10/8/2007 10:12:40 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Four stars is a joke - 10/8/2007 10:12:40 PM   
mafyou

I'd give this 2 and a half. I'm sorry but really four stars is a piss take. However, of the Arthur films i have seen, this is probably the best. But not by much.

Right, i've done a little reading on the film and apparently it is meant to be mystical. To me, it just seems very undecided of where it wants to go. It starts off by stating that it's set in the dark ages. Fine. But then they go on to don armour from the 16th century. Now, either you go mystical and don't state when it's set or you be historically accurate. You can't have it both ways. Arthur as Irish? Eh? I've not read Malory but i'm going to. If the Morgan family in Malory is Irish i may forgive the greatest English King as having an Irish accent for a time. There are a lot of other details of this film that just make it seem a bit stupid. It looks dated but i'm not too fussed about that. I learnt to like that about it. The first half i felt was appalling. The second was much better, but not enough to redeem it, sadly.

There are some moments of brilliance in this but they are few and far between. It is a shame. For every moment of brilliance there are 15 shocking pieces. In some places the dialogue is brilliant, the rest is pretty average.

I really wanted to like this. Maybe when i watch it in future i will find it better. However, this is not the Arthur film. That has not come yet. But out of a lot of crap this is the best.

I'd like to hear other people's opinions on this. I have a feeling i may be in a minority.

< Message edited by mafyou -- 10/8/2007 10:15:26 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Four stars is a joke - 10/8/2007 10:22:24 PM   
mafyou

I'd like to hear peoples comments, especially as this finished quite highly on Leomuse's top films from 1981. 15th i think?

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 3
RE: Excalibur - 10/8/2007 10:35:42 PM   
Empitomezzo

Never heard of it.

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

Post #: 4
RE: Excalibur - 11/8/2007 12:35:44 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Empitomezzo

Never heard of it.

I'm going to assume you mean the film, as i'm sure everyone knows of the sword.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 5
RE: Excalibur - 31/8/2007 4:42:30 PM   
shool

Good solid film. First half better than the second half IMO.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 6
- 5/12/2007 9:10:16 PM   
Duffski

I love this film - by far the best of the King Arthur movies out there. Outstanding is the oddball merlin, and the love triangle between Arthur, Lancelot and Guenevere.

Post #: 7
Self indulgent with a disjointed narrative but has flas... - 19/5/2010 3:15:44 AM   
GauistheWise

Over the years there have countless versions or of the legend of King Arthur and the stories that revolve around the mythical kingdom of Camalot. Too many to count and only just last year the BBC had produced a television series that retells the youth of Arthurs sage court adviser, Merlin. Taking many liberties with the folklore surrounding the wizard as well as Arthur himself as well as several other characters.

But 'Excalibur', brought to the screen by British director John Boorman is arguably the closest adaptation to the King Arthur mythos. Boorman, the man responsible for a somewhat diverse range of movies that include the critically acclaimed "Deliverance" as well as "Beyond Rangoon'"and the semi-autobiographical "Hope and Glory" delved in to the pages of author Thomas Mallory's "Le Morte d'Arthur", using it as his primary source material.

As a result 'Excalibur' is a ponderous, laborious motion picture which far from being suitable for a family audience is very much adult in nature. Delving in the very roots of Arthur's origins it opens with the details that led to his birth. Proceeded by the boy's journey from young squire, right up to him being King and the formation of the Knights of the round table. As well as the eventual collapse of the Kingdom of Camalot and Arthurs demise at the hands of his treacherous son Mordred. And to do so means their are some fairly graphic scenes of a sexual nature and brutal violence involving well choreographed battle sequences. The fact that the story involves an incestuous tryst which forms an important basis for the plot only further justifies It's unsuitability for younger viewers. With a cast of well known and not so well known British/Irish thespians which include Nigel Terry, Helen Mirren, Nicol Willaimson, Cheri Lunghi, Patrick Stewart and Liam Neeson. It certainly had and still has high credentials. Terry being a wonderful and inspired piece of casting he manages to eff

Post #: 8
Best Camelot movie ever - 11/9/2010 9:37:28 PM   
bnicholson50

Five star musical score, five star story, five star cinematography. Almost 30 years and still no one has bested John Boormans Epic adaptation of the King Arthur Legend. That says it all.

Post #: 9
Best King Arthur film by far! - 5/1/2011 9:35:23 PM   
dannyfletch

Excalibur has always been a firm favourite of mine and is by far the best King Arthur film yet, it's also one of John Boorman's best films. The cast are all spot on, Nigel Terry makes for a very likeable Arthur, Helen Mirren is perfect as the beautiful but scheming Morgana, Nicholas Clay is the best screen Launcelot yet and Nicol Williamson is suitably outlandish as Merlin. The photograhy is splendid, the score perfectly captures the mood of the film and the action is gripping. Towards the end it does get slightly confusing with its symbolism but it more than pays off with an exciting climax.

Post #: 10
Best King Arthur film by far! - 5/1/2011 9:35:25 PM   
dannyfletch

Excalibur has always been a firm favourite of mine and is by far the best King Arthur film yet, it's also one of John Boorman's best films. The cast are all spot on, Nigel Terry makes for a very likeable Arthur, Helen Mirren is perfect as the beautiful but scheming Morgana, Nicholas Clay is the best screen Launcelot yet and Nicol Williamson is suitably outlandish as Merlin. The photograhy is splendid, the score perfectly captures the mood of the film and the action is gripping. Towards the end it does get slightly confusing with its symbolism but it more than pays off with an exciting climax.

Post #: 11
They said they've already got one - - 12/6/2011 3:47:26 AM   
bobbyperu

The greatest Arthurian legend film ever is the sobering masterpiece by Robert Bresson "Lancelot du lac" which if i'm not mistaken Empire wrongly gave 3*** - Shame on you - This is completly different though very enjoyable - Not Boorman's best but still very good -

Post #: 12
RE: They said they've already got one - - 20/4/2012 11:40:32 PM   
Phubbs

Excalibur (1981)

Set in the wilds of Ireland and with a pretty full cast of Irish actors which set in motion the careers of both Liam Neeson and Gabriel Byrne whilst also utilizing some classic/cult British names for spice.

Like Robin Hood there are many stories of the legendary King Arthur and his Knights of the round table but this film is probably the most accurate in terms of an adaptation from original writings. This film is based around the tales from Le Morte d'Arthur and seems to follow each 'segment' quite closely (haven't read it so I'm not sure).

The overall essence of this film is like a fairytale of sorts, a kind of slightly cheesy shiny armoured fantasy with glittery sets, soft colours, strong religious/iconic imagery and a Clannad vibe running through it. The film reminded me of the classic British TV series 'Robin of Sherwood' which also starred the dastardly Robert Addie and the classic British fantasy film 'Krull', I think the latter took inspiration from the look of 'Excalibur'.

The design and look of this film is really very good, its clearly rather dated but it still has a high polish to it and looks quite epic. The locations are really well used and do give an impression of old medieval England and the costumes all make the sale. Of course this being the 80's the armour does look a bit fake, plastic and too shiny in places, there is a kind of music video feel to the proceedings in places haha some sets look a bit too sparkly, some characters have some dubious haircuts and to be utterly honest the acting/dialog is pretty hilarious in places but you can't deny the effort and scope of this historical fantasy.

This being in the days before cgi and when historical epics were all the rage the battle sequences here are small with some blood and minimal gore. You can easily tell they didn't have allot of people to make grand battles so clever editing is used with lots of darkness and fog hehe luckily Old England was a foggy place...or so I've been led to believe. The other slightly amusing thing was the soundtrack, there was original work here but the use of classical pieces slapped on top of key moments didn't really work. The combination of certain scenes and certain pieces of music felt very rickety and really did seem crowbarred in badly, you can see what the director was going for but it comes off more like something out of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail'.

The plot is straight forward and it doesn't get dull despite the heavy romance of the tales, the film is rich and vivid in design and imagery giving the whole production much flare and class which works brilliantly because you know these were the days when everything was hand crafted. The film is a cult classic with a powerful poster that demands your attention, oh and Nicol Williamson as 'Merlin' is also another good reason to view with his unique quirky take on the character spouting some glorious moments, 'oh that's grand'.

(in reply to bobbyperu)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Excalibur Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI