Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - US Speed - 10/8/2007 5:09:47 PM   
furrybastard

HBO have just greenlit Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) new vampire show, starring Anna Paquin (The Piano, X-Men) (Click for Link).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the article :

"Six Feet Under creator Alan Ball prepping new vampire series for cable network.

Alan Ball has been pretty quiet since his back-to-back triumphs earlier this decade. The writer won an Academy Award in 2000 for penning American Beauty and followed that up in 2001 by creating the HBO smash Six Feet Under (which wrapped up in 2005)

The latter, along with The Sopranos, helped launch the cable channel in the upper echelon of original programming and paved the way for the network today.

Now Ball is bouncing back to HBO with a new show dealing with death...or rather the undead. The cable channel has greenlit Ball's latest project, True Blood, reports Variety. Ball will oversee production of the show, which is based on the Southern Vampire novels from author Charlaine Harris.

In the dark dramedy, vampires learn to live in normal society by drinking a synthesized blood. Anna Paquin stars as a waitress who falls in love with a blood-sucker.

Airdates for the program have yet to be announced."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds... interesting. I'll check out anything Ball is involved with after the brilliance of Six Feet Under. Anyone read the source material and could shed some light on the subject?

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 5/9/2009 5:50:46 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 10/8/2007 5:27:20 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Awesome - can't wait! Anna Paquin and Alan Ball TV Heaven

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 2
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 11/8/2007 3:42:44 PM   
Caster

quote:

Awesome - can't wait! Anna Paquin and Alan Ball TV Heaven

Beat me to it!

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 3
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 11/8/2007 7:17:56 PM   
princessa

Thanks Furry Bastard - read about this months ago...can't wait...

Post #: 4
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 21/11/2007 10:34:45 PM   
Zaphod121

Any more news on this?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 5
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 21/11/2007 10:41:00 PM   
Captain Black

Probably stuck in development hell for the duration of the writers strike to be honest.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 6
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 13/9/2008 8:02:56 PM   
Joedini

If I remember rightly this was mentioned in the pilots thread and nobody liked it? Why? I've watched half of episode 1 so far and really enjoyed it. Yeah, it's silly, very silly but enjoyably so

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 7
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 13/9/2008 8:26:32 PM   
Captain Black

Is the broadcast version significantly different from the leaked one?

Must confess, after those reviews, I'm not much interested in this. Might check it out if things pick up. Besides, I'm bored with vampires, make a show about werewolves and I'm there.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 8
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 13/9/2008 9:05:53 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Is the broadcast version significantly different from the leaked one?

Must confess, after those reviews, I'm not much interested in this. Might check it out if things pick up. Besides, I'm bored with vampires, make a show about werewolves and I'm there.

I didn't see the leaked one so can't help you there i'm afraid Cap'n. Yeah bit bored of vampires too but what drew me to this is the wholoe "everyone knows about them" aspect.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 9
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 13/9/2008 9:10:44 PM   
elab49

Pretty much the same - only the extra couple of bits added in and doing nothing.

I stand by this - shockingly bad. One would hope for the quality of Ball's writing not that he'd descend to the utter awfulness of the so-called writing of the source material.

"True Blood. Oh dear. Is it bad that in a supposed vampire series the vampire is the worst thing in it? He really is pretty awful - could they have added on more cliches or did they figure they had all bases covered? I was surprised when Ball went with this - some of the terrible sub-chick lit genre with girls being really special and adored by immortals who can't believe they've never met them before in all their long lives blah blah  that proliferated post Buffy but contained non of the wit or subtext of the Whedon show.

This just seemed to be going nowhere. Paquin crossed back and forth between bouncy/annoying and slightly interesting. Her best friend couldn't be more of a 'look this is my created character' if she tried. The Tara line just was downright dumb. And you think Torchwood harped on and on about sex just to prove it was grown up? No offence - we know you're on cable. Get over it. And for a character apparently so jumpy about the mention of sex did you see her little lunch outfit? Prostitutes wear more in the ads in the back of Empire!

I assume we are supposed to assume Sam was the dog? Or was the time gap between leaving the bar just incompetence.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 10
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 28/9/2008 7:32:22 AM   
kjae

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
some of the terrible sub-chick lit genre with girls being really special and adored by immortals who can't believe they've never met them before in all their long lives blah blah  

Couldn't agree more; I really enjoy the vampire genre, but I am sick to death of the way it seems to degenerate into romantic drivel - hence why I am keen to avoid the Twilight movie coming out. 

I feel like them little bitches on the chess board

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 28/9/2008 5:45:37 PM   
furrybastard

I watched the pilot and decided to leave it there.  The few pluses are heavily outweighed by the many negatives.  A very disappointing show from Ball who is responsible for, in my opinion, one of the greatest episodes of any television series ever with the Six Feet Under finale.

If word of mouth is good, I'm open to a change of mind but I haven't heard much since it premiered that suggests it gets any better.

(in reply to kjae)
Post #: 12
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 1/12/2008 3:38:09 PM   
Dexter Morgan

I love this show, just finished season 1 and me and my dad really liked it, great story, great acting, really funny and dark, very adult.
Just started reading the book its based on, season 1 is closely following Dead Untill Dark (first in series).
I'm hoping people here give it a chance, it's really annoying that it won't be on tv over here till spring when i've seen it and hardly anyone else has, it's one of the best shows in years, i'd go as far as saying it's better than Buffy, Lost, 24, Heroes and House.

Sod the Onion
http://www.thedailyshow.com/

Post #: 13
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 1/12/2008 7:19:04 PM   
Dave B

The pilot was awful. Does it get a lot better?

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Dexter Morgan)
Post #: 14
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 1/12/2008 7:38:29 PM   
lulu karma

I finished watching season 1 a week ago. I enjoyed it overall. It's not a masterpiece, but I think their website with the extra footage - news shows talking about vampires "coming out of the coffin" and so on - is more entertaining. I wish they had gone a little more in this direction. The feel is entirely different.

I won't spoil anything, but at this point Sookie (Paquin's character) annoys the life out of me. Gah. I don't see the appeal to her character. She seems dumber than rocks to me.

Still, I will be tuning in for Season 2. It's not up to Six Feet Under level, but still a good show.

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 15
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 1/12/2008 7:39:56 PM   
bad hat harry

quote:

the first 3 episodes are terrible, i almost stopped watching, but it really gets great after that. Lizzy Caplan & Chris Bauer, who was Frank Sabotka in the wire, show up & it turns into a far more engrossing show. i cant wait for season 2. i really didn't think i would find myself saying that after the awful, awful pilot episode. its definitely worth sticking with.

< Message edited by bad hat harry -- 1/12/2008 7:42:58 PM >

I was thrown out of college for cheating on the metaphysics exam; I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me.”
— Woody Allen

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 16
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 1/12/2008 11:14:54 PM   
beebs_

I enjoyed the first season overall.

I think that some of it is just way too melodramatic, especially when it comes to Sookie and Bill. Please, enough already. But I do enjoy characters like Jason, Tara, Lafayette etc...

It's fun, its violent and it's HBO. So yeah, bring on season 2.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to bad hat harry)
Post #: 17
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 1/12/2008 11:54:59 PM   
Rgirvan44

Lets cut to the chase, is there Paquin nudity or not?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 18
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 2/12/2008 5:01:47 AM   
beebs_

She gets them out...

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 19
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 2/12/2008 9:19:44 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

I tried 4. If anything it gets worse. Bloody awful show - seriously vying with John from Cincinatti as the worst thing HBO has put out in a long time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 20
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 4/12/2008 12:36:28 PM   
theoriginalcynic

John from Cincinatti is / was great and is currently airing on FX.  Oh and FX have bought the rights to this too but it won't be shown until next summer... which sucks

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 4/12/2008 1:43:41 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Good luck Alan in your new television venture.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 22
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 5/12/2008 12:39:56 AM   
batrico

I loved season 1 and cant wait for season 2.I bought the book halfway through the season and it was a fun read too.It was interesting to see the the differences.

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 23
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 29/1/2009 8:56:16 AM   
jediwarrior

I hear Channel 4 has pick up the show for over here. Gods know when it will get shown

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 24
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 29/1/2009 9:16:53 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

I hear Channel 4 has pick up the show for over here. Gods know when it will get shown

If FX also has the rights does that mean terrestrial and digital are split? I didn't think channels liked that and preferred to have both? But if that HAS changed - who's going to see sense and buy terrestrial rights to The Wire?

quote:

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 25
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 29/1/2009 3:11:37 PM   
jediwarrior

Do you know when FX are going to start showing it?

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 29/1/2009 3:33:22 PM   
elab49

Only what it says further up the thread.

quote:

Post #: 27
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 18/3/2009 3:13:48 PM   
DJ Satan

I've just seen the first 3 episodes and I am loving it. Best vampire show since Buffy - even better than Being Human.

I love the idea of the Vampires coming out into society and the reaction to that. I'm also a fan of the American Gothic ambiance the Louisiana setting brings to the show.

Some people say that sex scenes are graphic but I thought they give and a certain rawness and add a bit character which more conventional tv sex scenes fail to do, so it's more than just tittilation.

As for Sookie.. I don't know what it is about her. I normally don't like dumb blondes or annoying accents, but after Ainsley Hayes in West Wing, Harriot Hayes in Studio 60 (Hmm are they related) and now Sookie I must have a thing about ditzy southern blondes after all. Hot.

I hear that Episode 6 is the one to lookout for.

< Message edited by DJ Satan -- 20/3/2009 1:00:32 AM >

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 1/5/2009 2:46:48 PM   
jediwarrior

Well it's finally coming to UK shores in July on the FX channel.

But I've given up waiting for it, and I've ordered the Region DVD which is out this month

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 29
RE: True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - 3/5/2009 4:05:41 PM   
Grunny

I've read some of the books and I think the show actually improves on them first time I think i have prefered a tv show or movie to the book

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> True Blood - Alan Ball's New HBO Show - US Speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI