Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What Are You Up To?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: What Are You Up To? Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 9:56:53 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: morg1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Will have the main trailer to my feature film completed by weekend, v excited

Good stuff Jim! How have you found editing a trailer?

Well it feels like a lifetime since I screened the trailer for The Dying Seconds and a lot has happened since. Due to schedules and personnel circumstances of some of the cast and crew filming is postponed for the rest of the film until next year.
But not is all lost. After the screening my friend that owns the venue we were in handed me a business card from a guy who was in the audience. The gentleman had asked for whoever made the trailer to get in touch. Unfortunately I ended up in A&E the next day and out of it on drugs for the remainder of the week due to a bust elbow. I woke from my slumber one night remembering about the card and panicking because I had not emailed or called him. So long story short- met up, had a chat and he has offered me an sum of money to help produce a short film. No string attached, I get to make whatever I want and all he wants is drop in and out of meetings and see how the entire process works. So I have begun work on a script (first draft completed last weekend) and I have started to get a team together.
No it is not tens of thousands he has offered but considering I have never worked with a budget before and any little helps this is big stuff for me and something I never thought would happen. Time to get stuck I and go for. Happy days

Harder than the film itself Morg to be honest, trying to establish the best format and presentation for a 'guide' to the story without giving any major plot points was very difficult.

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 2221
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 10:13:04 AM   
morg1138

Yeah same here. I went through three cuts before I was happy with it. My trailer is more of a teaser, with no dialogue so we put a click track in with it to set beats and establish a pace. Once that was done we hit the studio and wrote the music to go with the trailer. It was hard picking the scenes to add without giving too much away or wasting any of the money shots (not literal money shots that is, really itís not that kind of movie)

It really is a completely different experience to editing a film and I can see why there are jobs for people who only work on trailers.

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2222
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 10:19:02 AM   
JIm R

quote:

Yeah same here. I went through three cuts before I was happy with it. My trailer is more of a teaser, with no dialogue so we put a click track in with it to set beats and establish a pace. Once that was done we hit the studio and wrote the music to go with the trailer. It was hard picking the scenes to add without giving too much away or wasting any of the money shots (not literal money shots that is, really it's not that kind of movie)

It really is a completely different experience to editing a film and I can see why there are jobs for people who only work on trailers.

Absolutely in the same boat, the 'money shots' on a budget of £4,000 for us , to be fair we've made very little go a very long way.

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 2223
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 10:35:37 AM   
morg1138

quote:

quote:

Yeah same here. I went through three cuts before I was happy with it. My trailer is more of a teaser, with no dialogue so we put a click track in with it to set beats and establish a pace. Once that was done we hit the studio and wrote the music to go with the trailer. It was hard picking the scenes to add without giving too much away or wasting any of the money shots (not literal money shots that is, really it's not that kind of movie)

Absolutely in the same boat, the 'money shots' on a budget of £4,000 for us , to be fair we've made very little go a very long way.

We had a great team of SFX/make-up effects on board who did a great job on no money. This time round I have a £1000 budget for a 20 minute short and i am not doing horror. so the FX cost are way down and I get to pump some of that money elsewhere.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2224
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 10:42:59 AM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

We had a great team of SFX/make-up effects on board who did a great job on no money. This time round I have a £1000 budget for a 20 minute short and i am not doing horror. so the FX cost are way down and I get to pump some of that money elsewhere.

Mine's a self funded, full feature (1hr 53min so far in edit) and I too have an amazing crew and SFX, we own our own kit through our film club and everyone has worked for nothing.

A real 'love of film making' situation, the majority of my costs are location costs, catering for crew and costume maintenance.

As I say, in my view what we have achieved on the level we operate and with everyone working in 9-5 life as well and filming weekends, evenings etc is nothing short of a miracle.

We've worked collectively our arses off and next year is going to be amazing when released.

Good luck with everything dude.

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 2225
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 10:55:15 AM   
morg1138

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mine's a self funded, full feature (1hr 53min so far in edit) and I too have an amazing crew and SFX, we own our own kit through our film club and everyone has worked for nothing.

A real 'love of film making' situation, the majority of my costs are location costs, catering for crew and costume maintenance.

As I say, in my view what we have achieved on the level we operate and with everyone working in 9-5 life as well and filming weekends, evenings etc is nothing short of a miracle.

We've worked collectively our arses off and next year is going to be amazing when released.

It is always good to hear people with similar stories! I am based in Aberdeen and have set up a similar deal. Scottish Badlands is a co-op of likeminded people who enjoy film making. We have SFX, audio, VFX, actors, continuity, joiners, directors, editors, camera operators, writers etc. We also have local companies who are always there to help out. My mate owns a bar/club and she puts on food, tea, juice etc. We also have networking with a local coach company (transporting people to locations made easy) and Aberdeen College have offered up equipment for us also

Do you fancy catching up on the likes of Facebook it is always good to keep in touch with people that are on the same boat and bounce ideas back and fore!?

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2226
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 10:58:24 AM   
JIm R

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It is always good to hear people with similar stories! I am based in Aberdeen and have set up a similar deal. Scottish Badlands is a co-op of likeminded people who enjoy film making. We have SFX, audio, VFX, actors, continuity, joiners, directors, editors, camera operators, writers etc. We also have local companies who are always there to help out. My mate owns a bar/club and she puts on food, tea, juice etc. We also have networking with a local coach company (transporting people to locations made easy) and Aberdeen College have offered up equipment for us also

Do you fancy catching up on the likes of Facebook it is always good to keep in touch with people that are on the same boat and bounce ideas back and fore!?

More than happy too, not a massive fan of FB to be honest but happy to PM my e-mail address if you want too, am on FB though - Jim Rogers (pic is of me in cap and superman t-shirt )

Jim

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 2227
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 11:02:38 AM   
morg1138

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

More than happy too, not a massive fan of FB to be honest but happy to PM my e-mail address if you want too, am on FB though - Jim Rogers (pic is of me in cap and superman t-shirt )

Jim

Sounds good. Keep an eye out for Morgan Black (that would be me)

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2228
RE: What Are You Up To? - 18/11/2011 11:24:22 AM   
JIm R

PM sent morg

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 2229
RE: What Are You Up To? - 25/11/2011 8:38:29 PM   
JIm R

Complete major filming tomorrow on feature film bar a few loose ends on the 11th December. Major achievement by all, proud of us doesn't even begin to cover it. Taken 5 years but we got there.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2230
RE: What Are You Up To? - 26/11/2011 5:57:15 AM   
Quint

quote:

Complete major filming tomorrow on feature film bar a few loose ends on the 11th December. Major achievement by all, proud of us doesn't even begin to cover it. Taken 5 years but we got there.

Congratulations JIm! You should be proud, that's a wonderful achievement! Good luck with the post sessions...

Newest concept piece for an indie film is below:

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2231
RE: What Are You Up To? - 26/11/2011 9:24:38 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quint

Brilliant.

After months of doing nothing I've finally got an outline for a new story, this time about wholesale clones, tentatively called Duplicants.

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 2232
RE: What Are You Up To? - 26/11/2011 9:11:16 PM   
JIm R

Thanks Quint, went very well today, epic finish. Now for months of scoring, foley and paracetamol

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 2233
RE: What Are You Up To? - 27/11/2011 7:18:31 PM   
Quint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Brilliant.

After months of doing nothing I've finally got an outline for a new story, this time about wholesale clones, tentatively called Duplicants.

Thanks Tech! Good luck with this new story, sounds interesting for sure.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 2234
RE: What Are You Up To? - 12/12/2011 3:45:14 PM   
zcarstheme

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Where's the bloke who is doing 'Strippers vs Werewolves?' Does he still come on here? Can't wait to see that.

Not here nearly as often as I'd like to be!

Fantastic to see so many projects on this board that are taking off. So many seriously talented people working so hard for so long; great to see stuff getting distribution and attention. And, as always, beautiful artwork..

I've had another hectic few months. Bordello Death Tales out on DVD next month (finally!) and we've been tinkering with stuff for the DVD until very recently. Strippers vs Werewolves out at the cinema early next year, (although that was a writing gig only). Doing some shooting on another feature at the end of this month, which is scheduled for delivery with the distributors in March, for Chrissakes. Just an insanely fast turnaround.

Plus I've been lecturing and all the usual stuff.

Plus we've had a baby.

So, yup, fairly busy

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 2235
RE: What Are You Up To? - 13/12/2011 7:06:53 AM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=450ieXrIlSY&feature=related

Really cool short animated film.

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 2236
RE: What Are You Up To? - 14/12/2011 12:23:52 PM   
Greg Andrew

My friend and producer Robb Wallace does his other job with some cliff jumping around the UK

Gravity Chasers: The Tour

http://vimeo.com/31371980

Hey man this is a private residence!

Who the f**k are the Knutsens?

www.hingwayfilms.co.uk

http://www.indiegogo.com/the-consultant

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 2237
RE: What Are You Up To? - 17/12/2011 6:44:48 PM   
storyteller1980

Great thread, I've been looking for something like this for a while now as I've just started a blog chronicling my efforts to break into the film industry. Every week I set myself a task so my progress can be measured fairly and in public view.

As of now I'm rewriting a script I finished over a year ago and, having sent it to the BBC and received no feedback, I can now clearly see why:

It needs more work, a lot more work. so that's what I'm up to right now.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 2238
RE: What Are You Up To? - 19/12/2011 10:54:17 PM   
James2183

Close to finishing a music video I directed a few weeks back on the Arri Alexa. Such an awesome camera

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to storyteller1980)
Post #: 2239
RE: What Are You Up To? - 20/12/2011 11:43:23 AM   
JIm R

Hope to have my main trailer for my feature completed by end of December, get this week at work and Christmas out of the way and then get back in studio and finished.

< Message edited by JIm R -- 20/12/2011 11:48:05 AM >

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 2240
RE: Mugging For Amateurs - 11/1/2012 10:52:14 AM   
James2183

Music video I directed recently - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSfKj6tS6A&feature=colike

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch
Post #: 2241
RE: Mugging For Amateurs - 12/1/2012 2:00:48 PM   
Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Music video I directed recently - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSfKj6tS6A&feature=colike

Very pretty. I like your use of the soft focus. Always nice when the song's not bad either!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 2242
contrasty script - 12/1/2012 2:24:41 PM   
steflon

writing a short ep series at the mo, one episode is turnin out to be quite contrasting, which could work but wanted to know what your thoughts are

two main protagonists are the heir of Alice and the hatter, their scenes together are turnin fun a light and a bit punk rock (only way i can explain it) where as the villain has turned alot darker than i originally imagined him, for only 6/7 minute episodes would this contrast play out well and help define the characters or do you think it'd come across as confusing and not that fluid

(oh and i'm using this series primarily as a writing exercise, i'd love to get it made it made one day and have a mate whose made a few films more than willing to help me out with it, but for now, i'm just gettin used to writing)

< Message edited by steflon -- 12/1/2012 2:30:30 PM >

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 2243
RE: contrasty script - 12/1/2012 3:01:01 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: steflon

writing a short ep series at the mo, one episode is turnin out to be quite contrasting, which could work but wanted to know what your thoughts are

two main protagonists are the heir of Alice and the hatter, their scenes together are turnin fun a light and a bit punk rock (only way i can explain it) where as the villain has turned alot darker than i originally imagined him, for only 6/7 minute episodes would this contrast play out well and help define the characters or do you think it'd come across as confusing and not that fluid

(oh and i'm using this series primarily as a writing exercise, i'd love to get it made it made one day and have a mate whose made a few films more than willing to help me out with it, but for now, i'm just gettin used to writing)

Alice had sex with the Mad Hatter???

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 2244
RE: contrasty script - 12/1/2012 3:41:44 PM   
Big Red

That concept looks great Quint! Liking the design of the giant worm!

My artwork:
www.eamonart.com

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 2245
RE: contrasty script - 12/1/2012 4:05:10 PM   
steflon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

you highlighted the words 'two' 'main' and 'protagonists' how can that be one person?

altho to have a granddaughter (also named Alice, but wants to distance herself away from her family so calls herself Alix) in the present Alice would have to be reeaaally old, to reach the old old age she had returned to Wonderland many times to visit and spent so much time with the Hatter than some of of her time got slowed down (considerin its always teatime for the hatter...cos it actually is, its always teatime, theres no other time for him), so in all those visits, yeah maybe they got a bit frisky

www.twitter.com/Steflon

quote:

Post #: 2246
RE: contrasty script - 12/1/2012 6:08:46 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

quote:

quote:

you highlighted the words 'two' 'main' and 'protagonists' how can that be one person?

I wasn't saying they were the same person. From your post it seemed that the two progatonists were the descendents of Alice and Mad Hatter. As in Mad Hatter and Alice had kids and these protagonists were the descendants of their offspring. I guess what you meant is that they are the descendants of Alice and Hatter respectively. I.E. One related to Alice, one to Hatter? Either way I wasn't knocking the idea.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to steflon)
Post #: 2247
RE: Mugging For Amateurs - 12/1/2012 6:35:31 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 2248
RE: contrasty script - 13/1/2012 3:22:01 AM   
steflon

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I wasn't saying they were the same person. From your post it seemed that the two progatonists were the descendents of Alice and Mad Hatter. As in Mad Hatter and Alice had kids and these protagonists were the descendants of their offspring. I guess what you meant is that they are the descendants of Alice and Hatter respectively. I.E. One related to Alice, one to Hatter? Either way I wasn't knocking the idea.

one is the heir of Alice, the other is The Hatter, what i meant is what i wrote.

there is no way to write that sentence without it sounded rude that i can think of, i dont mean it for it to be.

www.twitter.com/Steflon

quote:

Post #: 2249
RE: Mugging For Amateurs - 8/3/2012 10:30:24 AM   
Hingway Films

New trailer for my latest short

here

http://www.facebook.com/hingway

admin@hingwayfilms.co.uk
Post #: 2250
Page:   <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: What Are You Up To? Page: <<   < prev  73 74 [75] 76 77   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI