Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NEED HELP

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: NEED HELP Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NEED HELP - 1/3/2008 9:01:27 AM   
Tech_Noir

I'll probably just go with Dreamer but try and avoid any links to the Elm Street movies. It's basically a story about drug addiction - only this addiction is dreaming. I can also play up the whole relationship angle between the boy and his mother.

As much as I like Eden it won't interest them and I'll waste a perfectly good opportunity.

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 121
RE: WHAT??? - 1/3/2008 11:04:18 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I'm just gonna take along some paintings and talk about mood - maybe they won't realise there's no story.

Grr, I wish I submitted an idea I could enthusiastically sell.

Or you could bust your ass working on a story between now and then? A few paintings and a vague chat about mood isn't going to do it, Tech, as you well know!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 122
RE: WHAT??? - 1/3/2008 11:11:46 AM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

I'm just gonna take along some paintings and talk about mood - maybe they won't realise there's no story.

Grr, I wish I submitted an idea I could enthusiastically sell.

Or you could bust your ass working on a story between now and then?

...Or he could just steal one. It's what all the cool kids do!

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 123
RE: WHAT??? - 1/3/2008 11:32:45 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Or you could bust your ass working on a story between now and then? A few paintings and a vague chat about mood isn't going to do it, Tech, as you well know!

It's worked for me so far.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 124
RE: WHAT??? - 1/3/2008 7:46:03 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

quote:

It's worked for me so far.

I really hope you're joking, Tech.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 125
RE: WHAT??? - 1/3/2008 8:13:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

I think I can put together a decent pitch for Dreamer, got a few new ideas that work quite well.

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 126
RE: WHAT??? - 1/3/2008 8:29:11 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

I think I can put together a decent pitch for Dreamer, got a few new ideas that work quite well.

Best of luck with it.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 127
RE: WHAT??? - 3/3/2008 8:39:42 PM   
James2183

Currently in the middle of a posting frenzy.

Sending off application for script development at the UK Film Council (Thanks for the link Tech!)
Sending off two scripts to Future Shorts
Sending off application for a career meeting with Skillset. 30 but I am hoping it can point me in the right direction as to what to do.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 128
RE: WHAT??? - 9/3/2008 8:07:02 AM   
Tech_Noir

That pitch event yesterday was a complete waste of time.

I'll leave it there.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 129
RE: WHAT??? - 9/3/2008 9:08:02 AM   
James2183

Care to elaborate Tech? 

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 130
RE: WHAT??? - 9/3/2008 9:38:00 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Care to elaborate Tech? 

Nah, I'll leave it there.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 131
RE: WHAT??? - 9/3/2008 9:39:29 AM   
James2183

Fair enough 

Sorry to hear it didn't go according to plan though.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 132
RE: WHAT??? - 9/3/2008 10:16:56 PM   
mudweiser

Waste of time because of something they did or you did?

And was it Dreamers you pitched in the end?

"Right now it's only a notion but I think I can get money to make it into a concept, and later, turn it into an idea."

I really hope that one day I'll actually finish one of the many scripts I'm writing.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 133
RE: WHAT??? - 9/3/2008 10:24:18 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: mudweiser

Waste of time because of something they did or you did?

And was it Dreamers you pitched in the end?

These "producers" were not interested in general. I probably pitched Dreamer poorly (unlike my other ideas this one wasn't even scripted) but I doubt they would have liked anything I threw at them - they just didn't like me as a person.

Towards the end of the speed pitching I just gave up, none of these guys are going to do anything for me.

(in reply to mudweiser)
Post #: 134
Loooong application - 14/3/2008 4:59:05 PM   
Tech_Noir

Now filling in an insanely long application for a Production Fellowship with Revolution Films - struggling not to sound inexperienced but also not to sound arrogant.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 14/3/2008 5:00:32 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 135
RE: BBC Writersroom - 19/3/2008 3:58:23 PM   
Vadersville

Whilst on the Easter break from University, I've gone back to a sitcom idea that I've been toying with for the last 5 or so years. I've finished the 7th draft of the pilot and I'm thinking about sending it to the BBC Writersroom, but still being a Undergraduate Student and having no official writing experience I'm wondering if it is even going to get a look in?

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 136
RE: BBC Writersroom - 19/3/2008 5:50:57 PM   
James2183

Shot half of a pilot TV show my friend has written last weekend, that is a cross between The Office and The Thin Blue Line. Although the weather was awful and it rained heavilly it gave the film a proper documentary look like you see on Bravo and UK Living late night. Plus the fact we worked with minor actors from Hot Fuzz and the new Harry Potter made it a good shoot overall.

< Message edited by James2183 -- 19/3/2008 6:27:15 PM >

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 137
RE: BBC Writersroom - 19/3/2008 6:12:13 PM   
Neth

Awesome stuff, James. Can we expect to see it anywhere soon, or is it too early days for that yet?

Vadersville - they'll look at it, for sure. Just don't expect a swift response.

I'm currently perusing the fineries of a development deal contract - twenty five pages worth. Scary - but exciting - stuff. Really hope I don't miss the sub-clause where they can remove my balls and feed them to a goat at their discretion.

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 138
RE: BBC Writersroom - 19/3/2008 6:36:43 PM   
James2183

Erm, probably not going to see anything until May at the earliest. My friend is currently writing, directing and now editing in his spare time so it's going to take a while before I see it myself, but from what I experienced on the night and what he told me when he put the footage into the edit suite it turned out pretty good. Hopefully good enough to get picked up by a production company to be completed. 

Good luck with the contract Neth. I am not a fan of reading small print so I hate to think how you are coping with your contract.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 139
RE: What are you up to? - 19/3/2008 11:53:11 PM   
Hartigan

Today I knocked up a script that I plan to film on sunday. It's nothing special or even original, just something to use for a camera test or/and to add experience because the only thing I have filmed with it has been holiday stuff which looked shoddy at best so I want to at least try and film something with a narrative, even if flimsy at best.

Only problem is my camera was a present and it's a Sony DVD Handycam and I have no idea how to get the footage from the disc to the pc and what software to edit it.

An old man dies, a little girl lives. Fair trade

Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 140
RE: What are you up to? - 19/3/2008 11:59:05 PM   
James2183

Not being a big user of ripping DVD's I am not sure if I am totally correct. But you might be able to do it by using DVD Shrink to get the footage on the DVD to your desktop as Video and Audio TS files and then using something like AutoGK(I think it's called that) to turn them into an avi file which you can then import to something like Premier or Movie Maker to chop up.

I could be totally wrong though

(in reply to Hartigan)
Post #: 141
RE: What are you up to? - 20/3/2008 12:27:37 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hartigan

Today I knocked up a script that I plan to film on sunday. It's nothing special or even original, just something to use for a camera test or/and to add experience because the only thing I have filmed with it has been holiday stuff which looked shoddy at best so I want to at least try and film something with a narrative, even if flimsy at best.

Only problem is my camera was a present and it's a Sony DVD Handycam and I have no idea how to get the footage from the disc to the pc and what software to edit it.

It would have come with a disc of software I'm sure. Maybe some kind of editing package. The footage should just be files on the disc that you transfer to your computer.

I use Apple machines/software to edit so not sure what you should use on a PC. A lot of people seem to recommend Sony Vegas.

(in reply to Hartigan)
Post #: 142
RE: BBC Writersroom - 20/3/2008 12:30:36 AM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Whilst on the Easter break from University, I've gone back to a sitcom idea that I've been toying with for the last 5 or so years. I've finished the 7th draft of the pilot and I'm thinking about sending it to the BBC Writersroom, but still being a Undergraduate Student and having no official writing experience I'm wondering if it is even going to get a look in?

If you're on the 7th draft, it's as ready as it's ever going to be. Send it in! Someone will read it and if they read past page 10 you'll get feedback. I suggest a sex scene on page 10 to keep them motivated!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 143
RE: BBC Writersroom - 20/3/2008 1:16:00 AM   
Hartigan

I downloaded that DVD shrink and it seemed like a step in the right direction, and I have nero express whch came with the camera but that is just a disc burning program.

One big snag however is even though my dvd player can read the discs, my pc can't...

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 144
RE: BBC Writersroom - 21/3/2008 12:15:57 AM   
Hartigan

Sorted it out...laptop could read the disc so I had to send it wirelessly to my pc and I've had a play around with Sony Vegas, quite good.

(in reply to Hartigan)
Post #: 145
RE: BBC Writersroom - 22/3/2008 9:18:36 PM   
Tech_Noir

My short film CIRCLE has been nominated for 'best drama' and 'best script for a short' at the Houston Internation Film Festival. Great thing is I'm guaranteed either a Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze award in each category.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 23/3/2008 1:51:45 PM >

(in reply to Hartigan)
Post #: 146
RE: BBC Writersroom - 23/3/2008 12:13:43 PM   
Oddward

Well Done Tech!

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed."
- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 147
RE: BBC Writersroom - 23/3/2008 12:23:42 PM   
Baby Bear

Yay,Techie! Well done!

This thread makes such interesting reading. So many people, so many talents.

I sorted out my dvds into genres. Does that count?

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 148
RE: BBC Writersroom - 23/3/2008 1:28:18 PM   
punchdrunk

I got a script read by writers room and it passed the 10 page test (yes Wilbert it did have ugly bumping in the first 10 pages) It wasn't accepted, but came back with a few helpful notes, which showed the person who read it had really understood what I was trying to put over, but hylighted a few problems that i could address. I e-mailed them a thankyou and recieved a reply saying they were happy the advice was helpful.

I'm tempted to give up on the screenplay and make it a novel. anyone else considered this?

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 149
RE: BBC Writersroom - 23/3/2008 1:50:48 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

I'm tempted to give up on the screenplay and make it a novel. anyone else considered this?

I've got this one epic fantasy love story I've been developing since 2002. I can't imagine it ever being made (not that any of my other scripts will) but I'm really into it and would love to write it as a novel.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: NEED HELP Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI