Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Clearing the Decks

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: Clearing the Decks Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Clearing the Decks - 20/1/2008 8:30:32 PM   
curve

Just about to watch 28 Weeks Later

There is no tomorrow...

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 91
RE: No good deed... - 23/1/2008 3:13:32 AM   
oui3d

The music video is now NOT done.....

The leading lady is hugely distressed by a spot (Which to me looked like a beauty spot) and is concerned people will be too focussed on it to appreciate her performance....

Me? I think the pink latex bikini (and it's contents) will be sufficiently distracting

But what do I know? I'm just a Camera / Button Jockey... (with a pulse!)

Soooooo... as it was a favour and she's really grateful and doesn't want to take up any more of my time, I'm now being asked to either;

a) let someone else (some bloke with a handycam who offered) re-shoot close ups (You're kidding me right?)
b) learn the fine art of motion tracking and have a small blur follow her top lip.... (What? Use After Effects for something else other than Credits and DVD intros?)
c) Cut in something else over the offending shots (Nooooo! This is ART dammit!)

So, in spite of myself and the need for total ownership on this juggernaut (My girlfriend finds my insistence on working with this scantily clad diva a bit worrying)

I'll have a b please Bob! (WTF it's all part of the process)

The idea of doing one "interesting" freebie a year is losing it's appeal....

No French, German, Spanish or Scandinavian film company is allowed to release a film in America. No British film company is allowed to release a film in America. And yet we allow America 100% access to our domestic market.

The best Star Wars film was directed by a 55 year old journeyman. Mental isn't it?

(in reply to curve)
Post #: 92
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 16/2/2008 7:11:33 PM   
oui3d

I've consented, relented. no F**K IT... CAVED...

I'm doing a pick up / reshoot of our glorious leading lady's close-ups. This time with added candlelight and possible UV dangly things (it's all about Depth baby!.

The motion tracking was far too zit and miss and the idea of handing the creative reins, even in part to "some bloke with a video camera"
was not an option.

On the plus side i get to use my new camera in anger. AND (barring any more facial eruptions) the video will be done!

Next commission please!

No French, German, Spanish or Scandinavian film company is allowed to release a film in America. No British film company is allowed to release a film in America. And yet we allow America 100% access to our domestic market.

The best Star Wars film was directed by a 55 year old journeyman. Mental isn't it?

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 93
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 12:51:07 AM   
James2183

Finally got round to making a showreel to pimp myself out. Good feedback so far from it. both from a few members on here and other people I have shown it too. Hopefully it gets me a few gigs 

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XXsfoaGPdyQ

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 94
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 12:58:05 AM   
Oddward

See the problem with the video James is there isnt really a plot is there? 

"If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed."
- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 95
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 2:24:13 AM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Currently co-producing my first feature as a producer and suddenly fully understand that saying about what's more stressful, the first time director maxing out three credit cards to make his first short or the first time producer investing £5 million that doesn't belong to him for his first movie.

Seriously paraphrasing there, but you get the idea!

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 96
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 12:45:50 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Writing my first feature length script (comedy/drama) can't say much more as I've got a long way to go yet...

I've always written TV pilots in the past - no success so moving on

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 97
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 2:59:56 PM   
Tech_Noir

Editing a promo video on a community clowning project which I shot last week. Also got some more paid video gigs in the pipeline.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 98
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 4:42:59 PM   
oui3d

Is it a DoP reel?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 99
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 4:47:14 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: oui3d

Is it a DoP reel?

You talking about my showreel?

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 100
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 5:05:53 PM   
Mojo

Just finishing up the editing on a short film for my course, we have to bring the actors in for some dialogue recording as the sound was fucked up on the first day of the shoot, no idea how this is gonna turn out but apart from some of hte sound I'm really happy with it.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 101
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 6:12:44 PM   
oui3d

@James - yep

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 102
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 6:18:56 PM   
James2183

A mixture really. Now that I am soon to be out of contract at my current job I need to sell myself  and so put this together. I guess because most of my work has been behind the camera, as opposed to a director and editor it can be seen as that. Sadly most of it has been documentary as opposed to fiction. But I hope that can soon change 

< Message edited by James2183 -- 24/2/2008 7:37:07 PM >

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 103
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 24/2/2008 6:52:52 PM   
oui3d

Tell me about it. That's why I'm trying to get some Music Video's in so I've got a library of 'Good Lookin' footage!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 104
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 27/2/2008 7:44:32 AM   
Tech_Noir

Getting a few paid gigs at the moment, currently shooting a short film with primary school children (from a script they wrote  ) and neatening up the edit on a short documentary on immigration. Might also have something else around the corner.

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 105
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 28/2/2008 8:07:38 PM   
My Life in Pictures

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Getting a few paid gigs at the moment, currently shooting a short film with primary school children (from a script they wrote  ) and neatening up the edit on a short documentary on immigration. Might also have something else around the corner.

Just finished working on a short documentary on immigration myself Tech.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 106
RE: No good deed...(The Revenge...) - 29/2/2008 11:36:18 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: My Life in Pictures

quote:

Just finished working on a short documentary on immigration myself Tech.

I didn't shoot this piece, the person who did clearly knew nothing about framing and sound - it's all over the place. Hopefully I can salvage something decent.

(in reply to My Life in Pictures)
Post #: 107
WHAT??? - 29/2/2008 3:19:53 PM   
Tech_Noir

I've just got an email telling me I am successful in this film pitching day at Demonfort University next saturday! I only made a submission for a laugh, I don't even have a full story / treatment.

(in reply to curve)
Post #: 108
RE: WHAT??? - 29/2/2008 4:23:34 PM   
oui3d

Luck is something you have to be prepared for....

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 109
RE: WHAT??? - 29/2/2008 4:35:00 PM   
Tech_Noir

I'm just gonna take along some paintings and talk about mood - maybe they won't realise there's no story.

Grr, I wish I submitted an idea I could enthusiastically sell.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 29/2/2008 4:57:05 PM >

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 110
RE: WHAT??? - 29/2/2008 5:32:28 PM   
oui3d

Maybe it'll be like taking to a girl you're not really attracted to?
As you have nothing invested in it you'll rabbit on merrily and accidentally charm the pants off em!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 111
RE: WHAT??? - 29/2/2008 5:38:40 PM   
Tech_Noir

I applied with two ideas, one is a kinda realistic drama about teen angst (although with a mild fantasy twist), the other is a more exotic sci-fi piece.

I'm more interested in the latter but I know they'll switch off as soon as I mention "sci-fi" and "alien planet" - even though it's an Earth-like planet (or forest).

I suppose I could use the angle that Doctor Who is exotic sci-fi and British audiences bought that.

.... Seriously worried about this. Guests are mostly TV people, including a head at Hollyoaks. Am I gonna look like an idiot if I try and pitch a sci-fi movie?

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 29/2/2008 6:04:28 PM >

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 112
RE: WHAT??? - 29/2/2008 6:15:22 PM   
oui3d

Ahh Scf Fi.. It's all about language i reckon. Think about Unbreakable. A Superhero origin movie right?

But.. What M Night does really well is avoid comic book language and geek speak. In fact all of the geeky dialogue comes from the mouth of the antagonist. And He's crazy....
Your comic book fans and geeks KNOW what's going on and the average Joe is given just enough to keep them intrigued but not enough to isolate them.

Sooo... it's a Sci-Fi Movie with ships and alien and guns becomes

It's revenge story. With a futurist backdrop
It's a chase movie, With a futurist backdrop.
It's a love story, she has 3 heads, With a futurist backdrop!

Sci_Fi instantly means more money. Put the Sci-Fi last and people will have an easier time swallowing it.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 113
RE: WHAT??? - 29/2/2008 7:08:17 PM   
Neth

quote:

.... Seriously worried about this. Guests are mostly TV people, including a head at Hollyoaks. Am I gonna look like an idiot if I try and pitch a sci-fi movie?

I don't think you should be particularly worried about looking like an idiot if one of the panel is responsible for the shower of shite that is Hollyoaks...

Do you have to do it in front of a public audience as well, like that thing Raindance do every now and then? If so, can we all come and watch?

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 114
Zombies!!!! - 29/2/2008 10:02:18 PM   
Oddward

I'm finally going to film my Zombie Mockumentry!

< Message edited by Oddward -- 29/2/2008 10:05:37 PM >

- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 115
NEED HELP - 29/2/2008 10:20:56 PM   
Tech_Noir

That's it, I can't decide - which idea should I pitch next saturday? It has to be one of the following two as they were the two I submitted.

EDEN (sci-fi drama)

A man and woman awake from strange pods in the forest of an alien planet. Neither recalls much but after a series of dreams it soon becomes apparent they are the last two humans left in the cosmos.

Over time human nature takes over and the two soon have a son. As the boy grows both parents ultimately die from old age, but due to his superior intellect the boy becomes king of the alien jungle.

After many more years the boy (now a man) eventually encounters a new creature, a creature that stalks from the shadows and seems to have the same level of intellect as him. He finally discovers the creature is in fact a girl.

She too came from a pod.

The planet is slowly being colonised by a new generation of human life, all conditioned to believe they are the last so only the fittest survive.

DREAMER (fantasy drama)

Eric is a shy quiet teenage boy who is picked on by the more popular kids at his school, all of them unaware that Eric can control dreams.

As Eric torments them in their sleep, he meets others like him who call themselves Dreamers. They exist solely within the dream state and it is they who create and inflict nightmares.

Eric becomes a dream addict; lured by the sense of power the dream state has over him. Becoming distanced from his mother (his only parent), he takes endless amounts of sleeping pills and finally crosses over at the cost of his very life.

As an act of initiation the Dreamers force Eric to haunt his own mother, to inflict the fiercest nightmare possible. Eric is torn but ultimately does as he’s told, unaware that the next morning, unable to cope with his loss any longer, his mother ends her life.

Remember I'll be pitching to UK-based producers who probably think in terms of a low key TV drama. I prefer Eden, and actually have a script drafted, but Dreamer would probably be more to their liking as it's more achieveable as a UK production.

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 116
RE: NEED HELP - 29/2/2008 10:30:48 PM   
Oddward

I think the sci-fi has potential but it really depends on how it would be executed. Is it supposed to just be an on going cycle?

I like the fantasy and it's really quite dark and although I dont like the cliched shy boy being bullied thing, I like the rest of it, espesially the struggle over his decisions to haunt his mother or not.

- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 117
RE: NEED HELP - 1/3/2008 12:32:00 AM   
oui3d

a) What is the story in Eden? Boy against the unknown? Boy discovering his humanity? Boy's search for a father?
b) Don't use the phrase "King of the Alien Planet...."
c) If it's about survival, what is it they do that makes this survival unusual?
d) Who is the gardener?
e) If you took out the Sci Fi, would the story still be interesting?

Dreamers in concept echoes The Cell. Nightmare on Elm St 5 (which ever one was Dream Warriors...) , Dreamscape and a Graham Masterton Book I think it's called Night Warriors.
How are you going to make the dream state unique?

(in reply to Oddward)
Post #: 118
RE: NEED HELP - 1/3/2008 1:38:56 AM   
zcarstheme

quote:

ORIGINAL: oui3d

Nightmare on Elm St 5 (which ever one was Dream Warriors...)

That'd be Nightmare 3.

My God, not Nightmare 5... Never Nightmare 5...

Tech, for what its worth I'd pitch the hell out of Dreamer. It's a nice concept and, tragically, the fact that you care less about it will probably work in your favour in terms of putting across a solid presentation.

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 119
RE: NEED HELP - 1/3/2008 1:44:02 AM   
Oddward

Yepits the rules dont fall in love with yourproject or at least what Im getting from the advice given

- Stanley Kubrick

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop >> RE: Clearing the Decks Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI