Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 12:46:16 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

I do agree with you though BOHEMIABOB that the more box office targets are toned down for the dumb market, but if you have passion for the horror genre that you will find many great ones still being made.....

My point was that horror used to be mainstream,and not mainstream in the bloody commercial whatnot sense,just that directors made films that were for everyone.
Now it's like the horror audience has been given a split demographic!
I'm not saying that all of the current ones being made are all rubbish,there are some gems,but that the horror genre isn't so much thriving as being disrespected by directors who are missing the point in the first place.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1471
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 12:53:23 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BOHEMIANBOB

You know,looking at the various threads of old horror movies,it's hard not to conclude the horror genre is now completely dead on its backside.
Movies are now cgi filled and toned down for a younger target audience.
And they just aren't that scary!!
Bring back pointless nudity,awful gore and shock scenes that actually frighten you!

WOW!

That is one statement to make mate.....

I agree that the market is full of Straight to DVD crap, as horror is easy to make and fans (like myself) rush out to buy......

But there are many gems out there.....those that the guys have said above and also Session 9, Cradle Will Fall.....numerous others that I could go on if you wish....

In fact, this year itself as been full of wonderful films like House Of The Devil, Dread and The Objective......

Horror should be better than these films.Not saying they are bad,but we need classics.
Horror has been hi-jacked by nonsense film-making like The Blair Witch and the Haunting Of Emily Rose.
Remember the Omen,Demons,Halloween,Friday the 13th,Nightmare On Elm St,The Amityville Horror,The Brood and all the other classics-where are the new generation of classics??

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1472
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 8:27:31 AM   
HughesRoss

Ok I agree with The Haunting of Emily Rose, but you ask where are the classics now, but in recent years we have seen numerous films that what I would call modern classics.....

Inside, Martyrs, Let The Right One In, Switchblade Romance, Cold Prey, even Rec and its quite awesome follow up...........yes they may be foreign films, but as I have said and agree to what you are saying, The Americans have "dumbed" down their market, all they care about is sequels and remakes........but those films which I have mentioned are true modern classics that sit proudly in my collection.....

And what exactly is wrong with Parnormal Activity? and Blair Witch...............

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to BOHEMIANBOB)
Post #: 1473
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 8:33:42 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

Ok I agree with The Haunting of Emily Rose, but you ask where are the classics now, but in recent years we have seen numerous films that what I would call modern classics.....

Inside, Martyrs, Let The Right One In, Switchblade Romance, Cold Prey, even Rec and its quite awesome follow up...........yes they may be foreign films, but as I have said and agree to what you are saying, The Americans have "dumbed" down their market, all they care about is sequels and remakes........but those films which I have mentioned are true modern classics that sit proudly in my collection.....

And what exactly is wrong with Parnormal Activity? and Blair Witch...............

They are not scary-hell i wouldn't put Blair in the horror category at all!
I remember sitting there at the end feeling like i'd been fucking defrauded of 2 hours of my life-i was livid!
Back to the main point-i think "foreign"(as in non-UK/USA) horror is leading the way now.
Still not to the level of classic Argento.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1474
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 8:37:50 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I've never seen Paranormal Activity and I know what happens in the end etc however I'm very tempted to pick it up as it's in the HMV sale.....

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 1475
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 8:40:00 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

I've never seen Paranormal Activity and I know what happens in the end etc however I'm very tempted to pick it up as it's in the HMV sale.....

You should if it's cheap!
You could love it-i'm one of those people who just didn't get this or Blair,a lot of people did.
I just want "real" horror

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 1476
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 8:42:35 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I enjoyed Blair Witch so maybe I will! I agree the last film the scared the shit out of me was REC. Martyrs wasn't scary IMO just sick. I hate that kind of horror.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 1477
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:15:45 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

You could love it-i'm one of those people who just didn't get this or Blair,a lot of people did.

Paranormal Activity is real horror. I don't see any way it can be viewed as anything other than that. It's not a rom com.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 1478
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:17:48 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'd add Hostel the list of great modern horrors too. I really love that movie. As well as the Saw movies, arguably the only long running horror franchise that actually tries to tell a different and progressive story each time, for better or worse.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 1479
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:23:15 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

quote:

They are not scary-hell i wouldn't put Blair in the horror category at all!
I remember sitting there at the end feeling like i'd been fucking defrauded of 2 hours of my life-i was livid!
Back to the main point-i think "foreign"(as in non-UK/USA) horror is leading the way now.
Still not to the level of classic Argento.

As soon as you mentioned Argento I knew that you have respect for horror.....

I can actually see the point you are trying to make, its just as I am now in my thirties and I first watched Halloween when I was 5, Horror just does not scare me anymore.....the last film funny enough that got under my skin was Paranormal Activity, only because in the night, I was in bed and I heard this huge bang downstairs....and for that one moment, my thoughts were going overdrive and the dark and bedroom seemed a scary place for a moment....

But again, I know that if you never got into the Blair Witch hype then there be no chance of you enjoying Paranormal Activity.......

I for one love both films, and eagerly await confirmation that the already written Third bitch in the woods film as been given the green light to be made......

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 1480
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:24:51 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'd add Hostel the list of great modern horrors too. I really love that movie. As well as the Saw movies, arguably the only long running horror franchise that actually tries to tell a different and progressive story each time, for better or worse.

I love Hostel DK.......but I honestly feel The Collector is much better than any Saw film

Post #: 1481
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:26:07 AM   
HughesRoss

quote:

Do you know the two different endings though....???????

The third and original ending is really dark and deeply disturbing......

You should really buy it Bozz

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 1482
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:28:39 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Yeah Paranormal Activity is amazing, i highly recommend it to anyone who loves horror.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1483
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 10:26:28 AM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Good news guys Frank Darabont is directing a TV miniseries of the classic Robert Kirkman comic strip, The Walking Dead. It will premiere on AMC channel in November 2010 and is a superb saga. It follows a group of surviving struggling in a zombie apocalypse. If anyone can make it work then Frank can.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

Post #: 1484
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 10:36:22 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

quote:

Paranormal Activity is real horror. I don't see any way it can be viewed as anything other than that. It's not a rom com.

I suppose there are two types of horror-the scary type going for the subtle fright approach(What Lies Beneath) and the out and out gorefest(Braindead)
Not being funny,but didn't think that Blair gave either.Paranormal is better than Blair though.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

Post #: 1485
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 10:53:32 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well I wasn't talking about Blair Witch, but i think paranormal Activity would fit into your first type of horror, as it takes the subtle approach.

Post #: 1486
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 12:01:48 PM   
HughesRoss

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I suppose there are two types of horror-the scary type going for the subtle fright approach(What Lies Beneath) and the out and out gorefest(Braindead)
Not being funny,but didn't think that Blair gave either.Paranormal is better than Blair though.

The Blair Witch stands up for repeated viewing than Paranormal Activity!

Post #: 1487
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 12:08:27 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Blair Witch stands up for repeated viewing than Paranormal Activity!

What?????
No,say it isn't so!Watch it AGAIN?????

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1488
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 12:42:00 PM   
HughesRoss

I have many times Originally in my review for Paranormal Activity on my thread, I said different.....but recently I rewatched Blair, and having read the awesome book that brings a different perspective to the movie (like the house they are in...the hill that is not supposed to be!) I found Blair to be much better in terms of rewatching....

Once you see the scares in Paranormal then that is it...you seem to find more to enjoy with the witch in th woods....and the ending is still being debated to this day.....

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 1489
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 4:24:29 PM   
dj vivace

Blimey, seems to be a right battle going on here as to whether horror is still good or not. I for one think its still very relevant, and still a very strong genre. My main issue is the horror market is flooded, and a new genre quickly drowns in its own glories as people (usually the bloody Americans) jump on the bandwagen and churn out loads of the same types of film and kills the new and fresh ideas too quickly. I do hate remakes and sequels as it shows no originality, however, every now and then a gem comes out from that lot, and these are the ones we remember. The Hills Have Eyes remake, the Halloween remake (come on Hughes, give it your best shot mate ), hell the fucking Thing was a remake all those year ago.

But there is still life left in the ol' horror genre, and recent classics like Let the Right One In, (Rec) parts one and two, Paranormal Activity, Martys, Session 9, Ringu, Dabbe, Eden Lake, there are still some superb films being made. Horror will never die, it just gets lazy from time to time, but the classics do keep on coming and its the classics we remember, not the straight to dvd shit, in fact saying that, most horrors released in the cinemas are bloody awful. A true horror fan knows where to look for his taste, and having such a vast scope of different styles, everyone will have a different taste. Generally foreign films seem to be leading the way right now, although with Eden Lake, the Descent and 28 Days Later, we are still churning out some good-uns! I for one love the genre, and like Hughes, i tend to watch most horrors, and believe me i have written my share of reviews for some absolute stinkers on the Weird/ Strange thread, in fact, i just put two on there today!  

Still, not even seven months into this year and already we've had House of the Devil, the Objective, Dread and i personally cannot wait for Alexandre Aja's Piranha remake!!!!

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1490
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 5:44:31 PM   
HughesRoss

Well put and interested post DJ, let down of course for your always apparent praise for Zombie and Halloween.......do I have to go into all this again

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 1491
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 5:47:03 PM   
BOHEMIANBOB

quote:

ORIGINAL: dj vivace

Blimey, seems to be a right battle going on here as to whether horror is still good or not. I for one think its still very relevant, and still a very strong genre. My main issue is the horror market is flooded, and a new genre quickly drowns in its own glories as people (usually the bloody Americans) jump on the bandwagen and churn out loads of the same types of film and kills the new and fresh ideas too quickly. I do hate remakes and sequels as it shows no originality, however, every now and then a gem comes out from that lot, and these are the ones we remember. The Hills Have Eyes remake, the Halloween remake (come on Hughes, give it your best shot mate ), hell the fucking Thing was a remake all those year ago.

But there is still life left in the ol' horror genre, and recent classics like Let the Right One In, (Rec) parts one and two, Paranormal Activity, Martys, Session 9, Ringu, Dabbe, Eden Lake, there are still some superb films being made. Horror will never die, it just gets lazy from time to time, but the classics do keep on coming and its the classics we remember, not the straight to dvd shit, in fact saying that, most horrors released in the cinemas are bloody awful. A true horror fan knows where to look for his taste, and having such a vast scope of different styles, everyone will have a different taste. Generally foreign films seem to be leading the way right now, although with Eden Lake, the Descent and 28 Days Later, we are still churning out some good-uns! I for one love the genre, and like Hughes, i tend to watch most horrors, and believe me i have written my share of reviews for some absolute stinkers on the Weird/ Strange thread, in fact, i just put two on there today!  

Still, not even seven months into this year and already we've had House of the Devil, the Objective, Dread and i personally cannot wait for Alexandre Aja's Piranha remake!!!!

The Thing is a bloody classic!A rare case of improvement in a re-make.
I don't hold up much hope for the Piranha re-make.
Just on your core point-i too love horror,but i think it's lost its way over the past few years.
An example was the re-make of The Hills Have Eyes-where they dropped the horror for something banal.
Ringu was class,as are most Asian horrors-Asia seems to be the new Italy of the horror world.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 1492
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 5:51:14 PM   
HughesRoss

Its sad though that J horror and co seem to have run to ground.......

I believe Piranha will be daft fun but nothing else...and I agree with you Bohemianbob, even though the Hills Have Eyes is probably the strongest of the remakes, its not a patch on the original.....and dont get me started with Last House On The Left remake......

Post #: 1493
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 7:02:15 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

Its sad though that J horror and co seem to have run to ground.......

I believe Piranha will be daft fun but nothing else...and I agree with you Bohemianbob, even though the Hills Have Eyes is probably the strongest of the remakes, its not a patch on the original.....and dont get me started with Last House On The Left remake......

I thought the 2004 remake of Dawn of the Dead was better than the original.Very much looking forward to seeing Amer and Splice even if The Crazies was a below par remake.

< Message edited by DAVID GILLESPIE -- 26/6/2010 7:04:00 PM >

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1494
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 7:03:41 PM   
HughesRoss

I prefer the original DG.....But, the remake is one of the best of the remake kind

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 1495
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 7:07:16 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

I prefer the original DG.....But, the remake is one of the best of the remake kind

I love the original, especially the section in the ghetto flat at the start. However I absolutely love the credits at the end when it plays that moronic clown music with all the ghouls groaning around the mall. I find this this most shocking and impressive part of the movie when there are no humans left alive in that mall, just a herd of zombies.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1496
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:27:26 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

Well put and interested post DJ, let down of course for your always apparent praise for Zombie and Halloween.......do I have to go into all this again

< Message edited by dj vivace -- 26/6/2010 9:29:02 PM >

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 1497
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:30:18 PM   
HughesRoss

I am getting too drunk too care 

(in reply to rubadub)
Post #: 1498
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 9:50:23 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

quote:

Just on your core point-i too love horror,but i think it's lost its way over the past few years.
An example was the re-make of The Hills Have Eyes-where they dropped the horror for something banal.
Ringu was class,as are most Asian horrors-Asia seems to be the new Italy of the horror world.

I think the Piranha remake looks pretty good, and Alexandre Aja has proved he is a worth director with both Switchblade Romance and the Hills Have Eyes remake. I actually really rated his remake of Wes Cravens classic, see, i don't mind remakes that add that little something extra, and the way Aja ended it i thought was superb. Like with Zombies re-imagining of Halloween. What really gets to me, really fucks me off is when the Americans (usually) jump on something so quick, and remake it, scene for scene, in English just for the lazy twats who can't be bothered to read! (Rec) being one that seriously pissed me off, even tho Quarantine was actually not that bad, it was the fact it came so fast, and was a complete copy apart from one or two scenes. But then, i suppose, they can't win because they tried something slightly different when re-making Ringu, and that, funnily enough, just annoyed me! The only thing good about the remake was Naomi Watts because she is gorgeous!

I guess, as i said before, its all down to personal tatse and tolerance levels. Re-making Let the Right One In soo soon hasn't bothered me so much because Matt Reeves is in charge, and after his brilliant Cloverfield i have faith in him, and recent inteviews have also impressed me.

I think the problem nowadays is the number of genuine classics has drastically dropped, compared to say the 80's and most certainly the seventies, even the 90's had its fair share, whereas the noughties has thrown up some right corkers, some real gems both in terms of originality and brutality but just a smaller amount. I'm not talking about the shitty Hostel's and the like, i mean serious horror, like 28 Days Later, Martyrs, (Rec), Let the Right One In, Eden Lake, Sunshine, Paranormal Activity. If you want real examples of the amount of classics we're looking at, come on to the Weird/ Strange thread,oh its been list mania on there with top thirty, even top fifty lists of seventies, eighties, nineties and the noughties. It will make for some interesting reading, tho you may need a few weeks to get through all the pages

I must confess that if you had mentioned J-Horror a few years back, then i would totally agree, i think it had its day years ago. I still keep up to date with them and i must tell you what i have seen recently is utter shite. No more Ringu, the Eye, Pulse, Re-Cycle, Tale of Two Sisters or even Ju-on. Recent stuff like Ju-On Black Ghost/White Ghost and Phobia were an absolute embarrassment. I think, right now, its anybodies game to take over leading the way. The French were getting there with Martys, Switchblade Romance, even Frontiers was pretty good, and even tho not technically horror, Gaspar Noe finally unleashes Enter the Void this year which should give the French a good kick up the arse. The recent La Horde was laughable to say the least. Who knows who will take charge, but there are only so many ideas that you can use, so it was bound to get a bit stale over time. I like the current interest in sci-fi and horror again at the moment, what with the excellent Human Centipede, and Splice is released soon which has been getting some impressive reviews

Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 1499
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 26/6/2010 10:05:55 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think the Piranha remake looks pretty good, and Alexandre Aja has proved he is a worth director with both Switchblade Romance and the Hills Have Eyes remake. I actually really rated his remake of Wes Cravens classic, see, i don't mind remakes that add that little something extra, and the way Aja ended it i thought was superb. Like with Zombies re-imagining of Halloween. What really gets to me, really fucks me off is when the Americans (usually) jump on something so quick, and remake it, scene for scene, in English just for the lazy twats who can't be bothered to read! (Rec) being one that seriously pissed me off, even tho Quarantine was actually not that bad, it was the fact it came so fast, and was a complete copy apart from one or two scenes. But then, i suppose, they can't win because they tried something slightly different when re-making Ringu, and that, funnily enough, just annoyed me! The only thing good about the remake was Naomi Watts because she is gorgeous!

I guess, as i said before, its all down to personal tatse and tolerance levels. Re-making Let the Right One In soo soon hasn't bothered me so much because Matt Reeves is in charge, and after his brilliant Cloverfield i have faith in him, and recent inteviews have also impressed me.

I think the problem nowadays is the number of genuine classics has drastically dropped, compared to say the 80's and most certainly the seventies, even the 90's had its fair share, whereas the noughties has thrown up some right corkers, some real gems both in terms of originality and brutality but just a smaller amount. I'm not talking about the shitty Hostel's and the like, i mean serious horror, like 28 Days Later, Martyrs, (Rec), Let the Right One In, Eden Lake, Sunshine, Paranormal Activity. If you want real examples of the amount of classics we're looking at, come on to the Weird/ Strange thread,oh its been list mania on there with top thirty, even top fifty lists of seventies, eighties, nineties and the noughties. It will make for some interesting reading, tho you may need a few weeks to get through all the pages

I must confess that if you had mentioned J-Horror a few years back, then i would totally agree, i think it had its day years ago. I still keep up to date with them and i must tell you what i have seen recently is utter shite. No more Ringu, the Eye, Pulse, Re-Cycle, Tale of Two Sisters or even Ju-on. Recent stuff like Ju-On Black Ghost/White Ghost and Phobia were an absolute embarrassment. I think, right now, its anybodies game to take over leading the way. The French were getting there with Martys, Switchblade Romance, even Frontiers was pretty good, and even tho not technically horror, Gaspar Noe finally unleashes Enter the Void this year which should give the French a good kick up the arse. The recent La Horde was laughable to say the least. Who knows who will take charge, but there are only so many ideas that you can use, so it was bound to get a bit stale over time. I like the current interest in sci-fi and horror again at the moment, what with the excellent Human Centipede, and Splice is released soon which has been getting some impressive reviews

I agree with you for the most part there mate, but I thought La Horde was entertaining enough if not inspiring.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 1500
Page:   <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society Page: <<   < prev  48 49 [50] 51 52   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI