Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Horror Movie Apreciation Society

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Horror Movie Apreciation Society Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 1:50:30 PM   
Paap28

How many of you love horror movies this is where u can express your love

< Message edited by Paap28 -- 15/11/2007 7:04:37 PM >

" I believe that all of life's answers can be found in the right Spielberg film. "
Post #: 1
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 3:58:03 PM   
paul.mccluskey

1. The Exorcist
2. The Shining
3. Dawn of the Dead
4. Halloween
5. The Fog
6. The Omen
7. The Wicker Man
8. Ring
9. A Nightmare on Elm Street
10. The Evil Dead

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 2
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 6:12:22 PM   
Paap28

Great DVD collection, you got some true masterpieces in there.
Also a great list of films.

Thanks

" I believe that all of life's answers can be found in the right Spielberg film. "

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 3
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 8:13:28 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Thanks man .  At least no one has said I'm childish 'cause I have a Disney cartoon DVD (Fables).

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 4
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 8:19:57 PM   
dj vivace

Hey Paap28, may i suggest you come and join in the fun on this thread http://www.empireonline.com/Forum/tm.asp?m=1100947

Some of my favourite horrors would have to be
1-The Exorcist
2-Exorcist 3
3-An American Werewolf In London
4-Alien (all of them!!)
5-Ringu
6-Dabbe
7-The Omen (the god damn ORIGINAL!!!!)
8-Suspiria
9-In The Mouth of Madness
10-My Little Eye

By the way, these aren't in order  Have a look at my dvd collection, follow the link under my signature.

How could i forget this little gem, Session 9!!!

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 5
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 8:21:09 PM   
dj vivace

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Thanks man .  At least no one has said I'm childish 'cause I have a Disney cartoon DVD (Fables).

Nothing wrong with a few cartoons mate, i got some Disney, some Tom and Jerry and some Looney Tunes!!! Classic

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

Post #: 6
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 8:31:47 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Thank God there are people who actually appreciate this kind of thing instead of Neds and Chavs who think you're gay if you like Disney.

PS: Paap28, join this thread:

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1121413

This director is a Master of Horror.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 6/8/2007 8:42:55 PM >

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 7
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 6/8/2007 9:01:04 PM   
evil bill

A L I E N & the rest are great fun too.
SUSPIRIA
EXORCIST 1&3 yes3 belive it or not it's a great sequal.
THE BEYOND
AMERCIAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS
INFERNO
HALLOWEEN
THE FOG
MOUTH OF MADNESS
EVIL DEAD
PHANTASM
Tere just a few i could go on and on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JOIN US! COME OVER TO THE DARK SIDE
http://www.empireonline.com/Forum/tm.asp?m=1100947

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 8
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 10:10:27 AM   
Paap28

Has anyone seen that film Misery, it's quite good. Kathy Bates was perfectly cast, what do you think?

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 9
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 10:42:42 AM   
clownfoot

The Thing - possibly the greatest of all horror movies. Here's why...

***CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

John Carpenter once commented that “you’ll never see anything like The Thing again”. Unless old Johnny boy allows for a remake (the treatment many of his earlier films are now receiving) or a much discussed sequel, this statement is likely to hold true for quite some time. Since its release in 1982, the whole bastion of the horror genre has tried, and failed, to deliver anything as eye-opening, visually perplexing, beguiling, claustrophobic, tense, shocking, horrifying or superbly scripted and acted as Carpenter’s re-imaging of Howard Hawks’ 1951 flick ‘The Thing From another World’. Not bad for a remake, huh?

An alien ship crash lands in Antarctica over a millennia ago and is subsequently dug up by a Norwegian science team, awaking the creature aboard from its deep frozen slumber. But this is no ordinary creature. This alien has the capacity to assimilate any biological organism it touches, producing a perfect copy, and only reveals its true form in a defence mechanism of blood soaked tentacles, sharp teeth and an orgy of gore. After devouring its way through the Norwegian camp, The Thing finds company in the presence of an American team of bored and bickering hippies, including enigmatic helicopter pilot R.J MacReady (Kurt Russell). Following one of the greatest monster reveals ever conceived (involving a dog’s head splitting open) and with paranoia and mistrust beginning to splinter the group, MacReady must work out who amongst his colleagues is The Thing before all are transformed into perfect imitations.

Whilst The Thing owes many a nod to the cold war paranoia and assimilation shared by Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (thanks to the themes of John W. Campbell’s original short story “Who Goes There?”), it’s the addition of an enclosed and desolate Antarctic environment, bickering bored scientists played by a wonderful ensemble cast and an original take on the ‘creature feature’ that makes Carpenter’s movie so highly memorable. The crimson bloodbath on show may seem the pre-eminent factor of The Thing, yet the ease with which it moves from horror, to science fiction, to character drama exposes the film as so much more than your typical bog-standard horror flick. Carpenter ensures scenes swing between set pieces of flying gore and dismembered limbs to themes of paranoia and mis-trust to make for an equally compelling exercise in characterisation and suspense.

Indeed, some of the more intense scenes are delivered as the survivors within the camp argue which of them, if any, might still be human. A good thing then that Carpenter hired the finest ensemble cast of the time to deliver a convincing portrayal of a group going bat-shit crazy in a claustrophobic setting. Allowing enough time for the audience to care for and understand the motivations of characters (Palmer always antagonising Windows is brilliantly understated) it is the skill of the actors when faced by the incomprehensible threat amongst them that ensures the tension is wracked up to ten. And when you have the rugged charm of Kurt Russell on board, an actor of the old-school hero variety where he uses brains rather than brawn, you have someone to root for against the titular beast as well.

Despite the refreshing intelligence of the screenplay (intelligent in that it avoids the usual quagmire of horror clichés), it really does play second fiddle to The Thing. Moving away from the bland and not particularly scary man-in-a-monster-suit, Carpenter revolutionised the way an alien encounter could be perceived on screen. Horror had a new face, so to speak; one that remains hidden and transforms with every new incarnation assimilated. You never know where the damn Thing is! Ironically, Carpenter had created a genre-defining monster-in-a-man-suit horror flick and, with that, scope for a breed of terror reminiscent of Alien’s chestburster sequence.

Indeed for the film to really work it is vital that the tension built up in previous scenes is provided with the release it deserves. So, when The Thing bursts open from its warm human hiding place in a hideously twisted mutation of blood, gore, slime, puss and tentacles, it’s unlikely to disappoint. In the assured hands of Rob Bottin, the effects are both shocking and original, serving to illustrate not only how realistic prosthetics and fake blood are compared to the elaborate and over-done CGI employed today, but also why The Thing has stood the test of time as a sci-fi classic. What really makes The Thing unique within the vaults of horror are the sequences that have come to transcend the movie and take on a reputation of their own, for which Bottin is mostly responsible. A revered film usually contains at least one such sequence. The Thing contains three…

When Doc Copper (Richard Dyshart) pushes the heart paddles against Norris’ (Charles Hallahan) chest for the second time, the sequence that follows will leave your jaw dropping. Palmer’s (David Clennon) response of “You’ve got to be fucking kidding” only adds to the extremity of one of cinema’s greatest visually realised scenes. The now often copied blood test scene (recently spoofed in The Faculty) produces one of the biggest jump out of your seat moments, as a seemingly dialogue driven moment is suddenly injected with another of Bottin’s twisted concoctions (this time with a venus fly-trap styled head). A masterclass of slow-burning intensity resulting in a terrific pay-off! These are sequences most other films would struggle to recover from, so just how do you end a film following such excess? With no real conventional ending, just a final beautifully scripted sequence ending with probably the greatest final line from any film, ever…

For a film that plays its hand right from the start by showing the titular monster near enough at the beginning of the film, The Thing certainly has some balls. When you add a brilliant opening shot of the wide, desolate expanse of Antarctica (the antithesis of the claustrophobic action that will later take place), a fantastic and haunting synth score by Ennio Morricone and some fine tuned action set pieces, one starts to recognise the genius encapsulated throughout The Thing. That its influence stems as wide as Predator (which re-uses Carpenter’s opening shot) and Reservoir Dogs (essentially the same film – bickering men in an isolated warehouse where not everyone is who they seem) is a timely reminder of how far reaching the film has proved in cinema lore. Indeed, The Thing has many faces to its name – not only is it Carpenter’s best film, it’s also the best remake ever produced and one of the best films ever crafted. They simply don’t make them like this anymore.

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 10
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 10:51:04 AM   
Paap28

I agree with you The Thing is really a great movie but there more better films out there such as Alien and The Descent

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 11
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 10:54:36 AM   
rikkie

The Descent, as good as it is, is sincerely not a better film than The Thing.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 12
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 10:57:12 AM   
Paap28

Yeah but you have to agree that Alien is.

< Message edited by Paap28 -- 10/8/2007 6:54:52 PM >

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 13
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:00:26 AM   
rikkie

Erm, no I don't, but considering both Alien and The Thing are easily in my top 20 favourite films, I don't need to differentiate between them.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 14
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:02:46 AM   
Paap28

What are your top 20 films?

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 15
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:03:50 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Paap28

I agree with you The Thing is really a great movie but there more better films out there such as Alien and The Descent

The crowd at the recent Stella Screening double bill of The Descent and The Thing at Somerset House are very likely to disagree with you. The Descent is a quality little shocker - short, sharp and claustrophobic - yet it fails to generate anything of the visual class or quality of characterisation that seeps from every pore that The Thing has available, and it verges on cliche on a couple of occasions, most obviously with the ending. A solid horror, but nowhere near The Thing for the reasons mentioned in the above review.

And whilst Alien is also a classic, I prefer The Thing...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 16
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:04:43 AM   
Captain Black

One of my favourite element contained in many horror film (and something that's carried into different genres) is that classic extended ending sequence. You know, when you think the chief villain has been beheaded/crushed/burned/generally vanquished, then BAM! There is again, only for the heroes to resort to ever drastic (or y'know do the same thing again) methods to get rid of him.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 17
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:05:17 AM   
rikkie

1 Blue Velvet
2 Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
3 Taxi Driver
4 Casablanca
5 Annie Hall
6 The Shining
7 Pulp Fiction
8 Apocalypse Now
9 The Thing
10 Se7en
11 Blade Runner
12 The Lord Of The Rings - The Fellowship Of The Ring
13 Jaws
14 Fight Club
15 One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
16 Alien
17 The Empire Strikes Back
18 Lost In Translation
19 The Truman Show
20 Die Hard

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 18
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:06:48 AM   
Paap28

Any of you guys seen Scream, or any other Wes Craven film?

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 19
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:07:16 AM   
rikkie

Wes Craven is, I'm afraid, a complete hack...

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 20
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:08:51 AM   
Paap28

Nice list but wheres Aliens

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 21
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:09:29 AM   
rikkie

quote:

Nice list but wheres Aliens

Hey, I've got Alien in there - what else do you want.  Variety is the key, y'know...

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 22
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:10:23 AM   
Paap28

Come on his films aint all that bad..

A Nightmare on Elm Street
Scream
The Hills Have Eyes
The Last House on The Left

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 23
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:11:59 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

Come on his films aint all that bad..

He's no John Carpenter or Sam Raimi...

Still, I've always had a misguided fondness for The People Under the Stairs! 

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 24
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:12:10 AM   
rikkie

No, I agree that not all his films are terrible, but he's not the "auteur" some make him out to be, and A Nightmare On Elm Street has dated horribly.  Scream's fine, but got quickly tired.  For every Scream, there's a Shocker...

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 25
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 11:16:34 AM   
Paap28

Here's my top 10 films

1. The Shining
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Toy Story
4. The Empire Strikes Back
5. The Godfather
6. Scream
7. Aliens
8. Halloween
9. From Russia With Love
10. Shawn of the Dead

< Message edited by Paap28 -- 30/10/2008 4:39:44 PM >

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 26
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 12:38:58 PM   
coolstar

ALIENS

I am going Deep Deep undercover
Post #: 27
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 12:57:36 PM   
coolstar

Sorry but am not a horror fan

I am going Deep Deep undercover
Post #: 28
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 2:00:01 PM   
Paap28

What's your favourite Alien film

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 29
RE: Horror Movie Apreciation Society - 7/8/2007 2:28:28 PM   
rubadub

My Stepmother Is An Alien.

(in reply to Paap28)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Horror Movie Apreciation Society Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI