Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Spiderman reboot

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Spiderman reboot Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Spiderman reboot - 12/5/2011 11:41:34 AM   
Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

I think this comes down to whether you're a purist or not really, I prefer the idea of organic webs and think the shooters are one part of the mythology that is hardly essential for a successful screen translation but others as evidenced are vehemently for their inclusion. I know you have to suspend your disbelief a lot for these films but as Keith pointed out there's got to be some internal logic they use and I'm struggling to see how the filmmakers would sidestep the webs thing beyond saying "He's Spider-Man, he uses web shooters you donut".

A compromise I always liked the idea of which was bandied around a lot when the 2002 film was in production is that Peter generates webs organically as part of his mutation but uses the shooters to "weaponise" them, i.e. normally they just spurt out (careful now) but when funnelled with the shooters he can create individual lines etc. That I think would make more sense than him creating his own miracle fluid but using it only to fight crime.

I grew up watching the 90s cartoon on BBC Saturday mornings and I recall the webshooters being used to great effect. They would often (through malfunction or damage) contribute to the action beats and often double the risks Parker took whilst battling the villains. Having organic shooters are a lot more convenient for both the character and the screenwriters but I think they'd missed a trick.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 151
RE: Spiderman reboot - 12/5/2011 1:33:26 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Macavity

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

I think this comes down to whether you're a purist or not really, I prefer the idea of organic webs and think the shooters are one part of the mythology that is hardly essential for a successful screen translation but others as evidenced are vehemently for their inclusion. I know you have to suspend your disbelief a lot for these films but as Keith pointed out there's got to be some internal logic they use and I'm struggling to see how the filmmakers would sidestep the webs thing beyond saying "He's Spider-Man, he uses web shooters you donut".

A compromise I always liked the idea of which was bandied around a lot when the 2002 film was in production is that Peter generates webs organically as part of his mutation but uses the shooters to "weaponise" them, i.e. normally they just spurt out (careful now) but when funnelled with the shooters he can create individual lines etc. That I think would make more sense than him creating his own miracle fluid but using it only to fight crime.

I grew up watching the 90s cartoon on BBC Saturday mornings and I recall the webshooters being used to great effect. They would often (through malfunction or damage) contribute to the action beats and often double the risks Parker took whilst battling the villains. Having organic shooters are a lot more convenient for both the character and the screenwriters but I think they'd missed a trick.

True but they actually did use that idea in 2 when his powers are on the fritz and he loses his webs a couple of times (the bank fight being one where he's actually up against an enemy). As with every adapted character there are some things that don't translate as well as others and the shooters imo are just one of those things that don't work as well for live action. They're not a deal breaker and honestly I'm interested in how the writers are going to justify or explain them.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 152
RE: Spiderman reboot - 12/5/2011 1:47:19 PM   
jobloffski

Here's my geeky responses/get out clauses to recently raised geeky points

How is he brainy enough to invent stuff? All his physical attributes are boosted to a massive degree, maybe all his functions to the same degree? Smart already, faster thought processes involved in anticipation/spider sense make him literally faster at processing ideas.

The finances to make stuff? File that under 'swallow without question', if you're accepting being bitten by a spider as the reason anything is happening all'. Maybe they sell stuff cheap at that place that also sells all the superhero costumes these characters use (that's something that's rarely looked at too).

Fears the web shooters running out may be used as a plot device? That IS the main storytelling opportunity they offer. He can't just web up everything, he goads opponents to piss them off and then strikes, and has to do more wallcrawling, sometimes choosing to, sometimes forced to because he's run out of web during a fight (you can't know how much you're going to need if you don't know what is going to happen). In other words, there can be more variety in how the fights go down and how the various abilities of the character are employed to get around the place. If the webbing is infinite, it's basically the equivalent of being able to fly. Without the infinite webbing, Parker would have to be more spider like, lurk in shadows, crawl up walls out of reach, etc. Much more can be done visually and character wise if there is a random element like having to be careful of the use of webs, forgetting about that in a fight leading to 'oops no webs' making it more dangerous, formula not being up to par, shooters getting damaged during a fight,

One thing I kinda hope the new film does a bit of is keep the camera still(ish) around the people he is fighting, and have Spidey moving in and out of shot to create the idea of just how fast he is able to move, attack, retreat, regroup. attack, etc compared to his opponents. Again that's about variety of visual presentation of the character, and it's certainly something I would add to the mix. As well as serving the particular intended purpose, it would then make for a more dramatic contrast when he is fighting someone who can keep up with his pace, or is trapped and unable to move, or being backed into an area where there is no option but to duke it out, and then the depiction of the character then has to rely on his physical strength.

It all got a bit samey under Raimi, and the solution to how to depict the character was a overwhelmingly CGI one rather than a pure filmmaking one. More wall crawling = more freaky visuals, eg, we stay with Peter's perspective at times so he is the right way up in the frame, so he could be hiding under a shadowy ledge looking down at a rainy street, but because we look at the world the way he is seeing it, in the frame he would look like he's looking up at the traffic, and the rain would appear to be going upwards. In other words, we'd be seeing more of how the world appears to a spider. Judicious use of such perspectives could be cool.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 17/7/2011 5:55:23 PM >

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 153
RE: Spiderman reboot - 22/5/2011 11:53:46 PM   
Marwood

Per AICN there's a teaser poster doing the rounds but it looks like a fake to me (and others).

Check the Marvel Studios' above the title - bollocks, this is a Sony film which Marvel are only on the fringes of and the Studios legend only appears on their in-house produced films.

Check the release date - doesn't look right. "In July 3 2012"...how about "On" or just "July 3" faker? Idiot.

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 154
RE: Spiderman reboot - 14/7/2011 2:13:09 PM   
fuzzy

Images from 'Entertainment' magazine. SPOILERS for costume and all that.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167839-new-lo-res-spider-man-photos-from-ew

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 155
RE: Spiderman reboot - 17/7/2011 9:46:47 AM   
kirk

Got to say

After the awful number 3, i am ready for a reboot.
I love number 2 but only for Doc Ock.
I rewatched them and theve aged alot!

Tobey Maguire is....well....awful....and far too old...and so bloody boring as Spiderman and Peter Parker! Where was Spideys quips and nervous jokes in the fights...
Kirsten Dunst needs a slap all the time....she is just upsettingly bad

To be fair the villians are the best thing in it....even the 3rd one...when they ruined Venom..
All the actors playing the bad guys are great...

So I am looking forward to this new reboot/remake/rejig!

As long as it avoids the Twilight holes....Really dont need an emo Spidey...oh wait...that was in part 3 as well.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 156
RE: Spiderman reboot - 17/7/2011 12:43:55 PM   
ElephantBoy

This series has run its course as far as I am concerned. The first one was decent, and nicely set up the series, the second one was even better, then the third one was a really dud, and unless they are going to reboot the series and take it in a different direction, then three is enough for me.

(in reply to kirk)
Post #: 157
RE: Spiderman reboot - 17/7/2011 3:46:40 PM   
kirk

So.....if this is Marvel....and Sony....Then....
Is there going to be any hint to the other people in the Marvel universe.
Will the Avengers be on a news report....
Will Hulk run through the back ground...
Will Nick Fury cameo....

I know its not full on Marvel....but they would be daft to leave all links and cameos out...you could have marvel universe up and runnin in under 3 years...with everyone somehow linked...

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 158
RE: More Spiderman pics - 18/7/2011 9:37:51 AM   
Invader_Ace

Got to say I am thinking the opposite.  Parker uses his powers to own Flash at Basketball!  Just seems really, y'know, highschool teen.  Or Teenwolf.

Then, the rest just look like a re-run of the first Raimi film.

Not Digging.
Post #: 159
RE: More Spiderman pics - 18/7/2011 10:16:20 AM   
JIm R

I've been 'count me out' from the beginning purely on principle but now that it looks absolute shite I'm justafiably so (to myself) as well.

< Message edited by JIm R -- 18/7/2011 10:17:59 AM >

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 160
SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 19/7/2011 12:01:45 PM   
Tech_Noir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClLuvQNn_4E

Looks good to me.

No more Tobey Maguire, no more Kirsten Dunst!

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 19/7/2011 12:03:21 PM >

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 161
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 19/7/2011 2:27:44 PM   
Rob

Really hard to judge due to the picture quality and no sound (I'm at work) but the swinging scenes looked like a game intro.

I actually like the idea of the reboot and like most of the cast and crew involved so I want it to do well but certainly wasn't blown away by what I saw.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 162
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 19/7/2011 2:35:23 PM   
pete_traynor

Quality is too ropey to really get a feel for it but it looks OK.

FP shots are poor though! With Rob, they look like a game... and not a very good one at that. Hopefully that is purely for promotional use and not in the actual game, sorry film . But saying that, more rendering and tweaking and they could look rather great... especially in 3D.

Basically, I remain hopeful

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 163
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 19/7/2011 3:06:05 PM   
lukeyboy

Looks alright - nowt special. I see they've gone with the (ahem) dark approach!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 164
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 19/7/2011 4:36:49 PM   
Tech_Noir

I'm quite excited, loved Marc Webb's debut 500 Days of Summer, Garfield is a solid actor and Emma Stone is 100% more interesting than Dunst.

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 165
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 19/7/2011 4:50:21 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i thought after seeing the teaser i would see their point in doing the origin story again, like it might seem like it would be handled differently. It looks exactly the same, now i really dont see the point in this. The greatest sense of deja vu prevailed throughout that trailer.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 166
RE: Spiderman reboot - 19/7/2011 7:59:22 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: kirk

So.....if this is Marvel....and Sony....Then....
Is there going to be any hint to the other people in the Marvel universe.
Will the Avengers be on a news report....
Will Hulk run through the back ground...
Will Nick Fury cameo....

I know its not full on Marvel....but they would be daft to leave all links and cameos out...you could have marvel universe up and runnin in under 3 years...with everyone somehow linked...

I don't think so - it's a rights thing, Marvel are essentially exec producing it for Sony but Sony have no claim on any of their other superheroes except Ghost Rider so I think including cameos of other wholly owned Marvel Studios characters in a non-Marvel Studios film probably has some legal/rights implications.

The Avengers universe Marvel are working on features their in-house characters only without any mention of characters such as the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man etc. because the rights are with other studios so expect the same with those other franchises. Now in theory the X-Men, Fantastic Four and Daredevil (all with 20th Century Fox) could cross over and Spider-Man could meet Ghost Rider (both Sony/Columbia). In basic terms if Captain America shows a clear shot of Spider-Man swinging around in the New York skyline while Cap is getting his bearings in the modern world then Sony are going to say "Cease and desist, we own the film rights for that one - unless you pay us a load of change for the 2 seconds he's on screen". Marvel could counter with "But he's ours" but I expect Sony will then say "We own the rights, you just help us make the films, doesn't mean you can put him in yours".

Having all the different franchises blend and crossover between different studios would mean deal changes and renegotiation which I doubt any of their legal teams would want to get involved in - especially considering Fox, Sony and Disney (who now own Marvel) are direct competitors. It's a shame that they can't buy back the rights from all those different studios to get everything under one roof but the studios are going to bleed every penny they can out of them so won't give them back unless one of them outright bombs and becomes a liability - however so far even the lower performing/shitty ones like Daredevil or Ghost Rider have managed to make some profit.

(in reply to kirk)
Post #: 167
RE: Spiderman reboot - 19/7/2011 10:13:47 PM   
kumar

I thought showing parkers parents would offer some originality but the trailer makes the film look a waste, a retelling of what most people from the ages 5 to 100 have seen before. There has to be something more to peters parents. The only thing that got some interest was the wall crawling part but you can tell even from that footage the effects are pretty poor. Still it is early and probably more rendering is needed but nothing other than that got me half as excited as I would be had it been Riami's Spiderman 4. I wonder if he has his head in his hands or if he is sat laughing?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 168
RE: Spiderman reboot - 20/7/2011 12:51:58 AM   
Rgirvan44

This seems so so stupid. This isn't like Batman where there was a RADICAL difference between the Batman and Robin and Batman Begins.

It seems like the same stuff, just shoot a bit differently - look at the colour scheme of the end sequence - it feels like Raimi's flicks.

And the CGI Spidey at the end looks just as bad as the previous Spider-Man films.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 169
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 20/7/2011 6:01:54 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I'm quite excited, loved Marc Webb's debut 500 Days of Summer, Garfield is a solid actor and Emma Stone is 100% more interesting than Dunst.

Yeah but that ain't saying much - soggy lettuce is 100% more interesting than Dunce, sorry Dunst.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 170
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 20/7/2011 12:01:16 PM   
Timon

Interesting, interesting. I'll wait till I see a better-res version. For me though, the cast and the director has me more interested than the previous films. Plus Vic Armstrong is involved and I finished his autobiography the other day where he talked about the rigs they used to fling Garfield and the stuntmen over taxis.

Apparently it's more 'physical' that the previous films, but the proof will be the final product.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 171
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 20/7/2011 3:32:37 PM   
piccolo135

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=amazingspiderman

Hi-Res version

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 172
RE: Spiderman reboot - 20/7/2011 5:06:18 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

This seems so so stupid. This isn't like Batman where there was a RADICAL difference between the Batman and Robin and Batman Begins.

It seems like the same stuff, just shoot a bit differently - look at the colour scheme of the end sequence - it feels like Raimi's flicks.

And the CGI Spidey at the end looks just as bad as the previous Spider-Man films.

I felt the same. The first half of the trailer just brought typical teen drama to mind (One Tree Hill), and the second half was just.... exactly what we saw before, less than ten years ago. I can't get my head around it all.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 173
RE: Spiderman reboot - 20/7/2011 5:55:18 PM   
Spaldron

Said this on another thread but the POV shot at the end looks exactly like the game Mirror's Edge.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 174
RE: Spiderman reboot - 20/7/2011 7:52:09 PM   
Marwood

Agreed, it's the over familiarity of this which I think is going to go against the film. Don't get me wrong - it will be a big hit because kids love Spider-Man but the older audiences who are fans of the Raimi films (like a lot of us here) are probably going to have a "meh" attitude towards it. The Lizard is about the only thing that will get me to see this as it's something genuinely new (ok apart from the mechanical shooters) that the Raimi films didn't cover...and even then I expect he would have turned up in part 5 or beyond considering Raimi had thrown in Dylan Baker's Curt Connors in two films already.

I just don't get the reboot idea from Sony - I mean I understand if they weren't happy with Raimi's ideas for continuing the series but why start from the very beginning again? A reboot doesn't necessarilly have to be an origin retelling does it? A change of creative team, cast and style/tone would have done the same job as a sequel but been able to explore genuinely new territory on screen for the character. Could Webb not have made Spider-Man 4 starring Andrew Garfield as a college age Peter? Emma Stone taking over from Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacey? Rhys Ifans replacing Dylan Baker but still finally bringing The Lizard to the screen? After all Mary Jane could easily be written out, the Osbourne clan are dead, Peter's come back from the "dark side" and grown as a person.

Some statement from Sony said something like "it wouldn't feel right making Spider-Man 4 without Sam" and the reboot was dressed up as a mark of respect but how is it respectful to essentially overwrite what he did by wiping the slate clean and starting over? Idiots.

The teaser looks well shot and I'm sure the cast will do fine but unlike the Batman series (which needed a complete overhaul) or Incredible Hulk (which was rebooted due to a rights changeback to Marvel and them fitting Banner into their fledgling Avengers universe) this reboot is unwarranted, unncessary and I think largely unwanted.

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 175
RE: Spiderman reboot - 20/7/2011 8:05:31 PM   
superdan

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there Marwood. It's baffling to me exactly why they thought it would be a good idea to largely tell the same story as Raimi's first (with a few character and tonal differences), when the paint hasn't even really dried from it. I don't have a problem with them rebooting it as such, but going back to the origin of Spiderman seems like unnecessary madness. Very little in the trailer left me thinking "ooh, that looks exciting" because I've kind of already seen it. In fact, I just bought it on Blu-Ray. The seemingly mopey Twilight-inspired feel doesn't sit well with me either. And I don't care what they say, if I was Raimi I'd feel like Sony had delivered a massive "Fuck You".

If I focus on the good, at least the cast is pretty impressive, and Emma Stone is all kinds of wonderful. That's all I've got at the moment though in terms of positives.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 176
RE: Spiderman reboot - 20/7/2011 8:15:20 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I agree with pretty much everything you've said there Marwood. It's baffling to me exactly why they thought it would be a good idea to largely tell the same story as Raimi's first (with a few character and tonal differences), when the paint hasn't even really dried from it. I don't have a problem with them rebooting it as such, but going back to the origin of Spiderman seems like unnecessary madness. Very little in the trailer left me thinking "ooh, that looks exciting" because I've kind of already seen it. In fact, I just bought it on Blu-Ray. The seemingly mopey Twilight-inspired feel doesn't sit well with me either. And I don't care what they say, if I was Raimi I'd feel like Sony had delivered a massive "Fuck You".

If I focus on the good, at least the cast is pretty impressive, and Emma Stone is all kinds of wonderful. That's all I've got at the moment though in terms of positives.

Yeah I don't want to sound like a negative nancy as admittedly we've only had a teaser to draw on so far. It's got a good cast and for comparison purposes it will be interesting to see what Webb does with the same basic story.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 177
RE: Spiderman reboot - 21/7/2011 10:37:28 AM   
The REAL Bozz

I like the look of this one. It doesn't bother me that they have restarted the whole thing. I mean as a fan of the comics I'm glad. Felicia Hardy as The Vulturess? NEXT! Lol. That was a horrible idea they had for Raimi's Spidey 4. This new one looks a bit grittier and there seems to be the whole ULTIMATE vibe coming from what I've read about the film. The ultimate books basically rebooted existing Marvel characters and opened up some endless possibilties. So you got Gwen Stacy, a great cast, Petes parents. It all seems to be bringing somthing new to the character. Maguire was too old anyway, I'd thought that from Spidey 1 and don't even get me started on Dunst as MJ. Best thing about Raimi's flicks were Raimi, the Bruce cameos and Franco.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 178
RE: Spiderman reboot - 21/7/2011 7:50:32 PM   
demoncleaner

The Raimi movies were definitely not for me, and I can't say I derived a single iota of pleasure from any of them.  I actually found the popularity of the series bewildering so watching the trailer for this my first instinct is a kind of relief that enough people presumably felt the same to go back to this with a different outlook.  It's completely the Bryan Singer/Nolan influence on comic book franchises to glum them up for the real world setting, I don't know if that's necessarily appropriate for Spiderman, but all I know is that the more obvious "comic" movies look awfully outmoded today.  So this is really one instance where I like the dour tone.  The jury's still out on the CGI Spiderman though.    

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 179
RE: SPIDERMAN TEASER! - 22/7/2011 2:58:04 AM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Well I was a fan of 5DOS, but based on that film, maybe Webb isn't the man to breath life into the Spiderman films. I like Garfield, but while I liked Stone in Easy A I disagree with you on her being better than Dunst, I think for all her flaws KD was the perfect choice to play MJ. Still with this being a reboot, it will be interesting to see what these elements can do with the story.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Spiderman reboot Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI