Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Amazing Spider-Man

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Amazing Spider-Man Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Amazing Spider-Man - 14/2/2011 8:23:25 PM   
musht

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=74140

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 121
RE: The Amazing Spider-Man - 14/2/2011 9:04:49 PM   
impqueen

I think he looks great and I like the title too.

Yes, always.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 122
RE: The Amazing Spider-Man - 14/2/2011 9:16:52 PM   
kata

I quite like the costume.

< Message edited by kata -- 14/2/2011 9:19:14 PM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 123
The Amazing Spider-Man - 15/2/2011 5:54:08 PM   
Macavity

Good title. I put money on it being used in the script.

The picture is encouraging. The pose is much more evocative of the comic poses but I prefer the Raimi costume. Glad he's not as bulked up as Maguire though.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 124
RE: The Amazing Spider-Man - 17/2/2011 4:41:43 PM   
fuzzy

Some on-set pics.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/125167-close-ups-of-spider-man-on-set

Not liking the gloves.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 125
RE: All about the money - 17/2/2011 6:58:21 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: linkinpython

no need for a reboot nothing wrong with tobey maguire as spiderman no interest in seeing this at all. its only being made as marvel want to milk more money out of the franchise rather than just being kind and letting it die with honour

Technically it's Sony not Marvel, although if Marvel did get the rights to the character back they'd surely have gone a similar route too. Plus franchises are basically there to be milked so while Sony's actions may have seemed like a smack in the face to Sam Raimi it's hardly surprising they've decided to make more films is it? How many billions did the other 3 earn them? Why do you think Bond has been on screen for 40 years despite some very dodgy entries that were critically dumped on?

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!
Post #: 126
RE: spider-man for the twilight generation... - 21/2/2011 2:25:14 PM   
fuzzy

Some spin (yup, pun intended) from Avi Arad

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/126829-the-amazing-spider-man-not-exactly-a-reboot

By all accounts, a nonsense statement given what characters are supposed to be in the film. I guess it's him trying not to lose the Raimi faithful for this outing.
Post #: 127
RE: spider-man for the twilight generation... - 21/2/2011 2:38:21 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/126829-the-amazing-spider-man-not-exactly-a-reboot

By all accounts, a nonsense statement given what characters are supposed to be in the film. I guess it's him trying not to lose the Raimi faithful for this outing.

He lost them (inc. me) a long time ago.

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 128
RE: spider-man for the twilight generation... - 21/2/2011 2:48:05 PM   
lukeyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

If it's not a reboot then how come this Spiderman is about a foot taller and has mechanical webshooters? Eh,...Avi? Riddle me that you twat!

...and this guy actually works for Marvel!

I feel like i'm Han Solo, your Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi - and we're in that FUCKED UP bar!!

(in reply to fuzzy)
Post #: 129
RE: spider-man for the twilight generation... - 21/2/2011 2:53:05 PM   
JIm R

Lukey, read your PM's dude, one from me - off topic

(in reply to lukeyboy)
Post #: 130
Catching Up - 21/2/2011 3:13:37 PM   
Macavity

I figured it'd make sense to actually read some of the lizard stories. Any particular books worth picking up?

I nearly got a Black Cat collection recently...but that was really down to J Scott Campbell's lady art :p.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 131
RE: Catching Up - 22/2/2011 2:21:32 AM   
CasualLuke

I'm personally really looking forward to the next film, although judging by this forum I'm pretty much the only one...
I recently wrote about why I think the next film will be awesome on my blog.

http://filmviewsandreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/amazing-spiderman.html

I just hope it doesn't completely bomb, but I personally just can't see it happening!

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 132
RE: Catching Up - 23/2/2011 10:14:21 AM   
Macavity

Welcome to the forums, CasualLuke. You aren't the only one looking forward to this new take on the character.
I checked out your blog. It's a good start. Don't let that enthusiasm die.

The ingredients are all there for a great Spider-man film. I'm personally very happy with the webshooter inclusion. I grew up watching the 90s cartoon (with the jock Peter Parker) and the shooters were reguarly used as a clever little plot device. 

(in reply to CasualLuke)
Post #: 133
RE: Stupid Name! - 2/5/2011 4:27:21 PM   
musht

New pictures here; http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=77057

Parker looks a bit emo to me, hopefully that's just this photo, also wasn't expecting him to be a skater. On a different note I didn't realise Oscorp would be featuring in this film was there any casting news on the Osbournes that i missed?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

Post #: 134
RE: Stupid Name! - 2/5/2011 7:22:09 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Enyuh

I think 'AMAZING' Spiderman makes it sound quite childish!
Either way, I am looking forward to it, I think Andrew Garfield is a good actor and can show many emotions.
Is it actually a remake of Spiderman or is it someone else's version to it? Are they doing what they did with Batman?

It's a reboot so basically what Warner Bros did with Batman: forget the previous films and start over, although arguably Spider-Man 3 was nowhere near as bad as Batman & Robin so a complete overhaul rather than sequel doesn't feel as necessary. Peter is back in high school (presumably for the whole movie) and no doubt the film will cover his origins to some degree, as previously discussed on the thread I'm hoping it's not a strict "origin movie" again but if Sony are hitting the restart button it probably will be.

Having given it some thought I personally think the series can stand to be rebooted even though I'd rather have just seen a sequel with a new cast and direction. As much as I enjoyed the previous films they were still kind of corny and I think really were a representation of the 60s comics (which is the era that Sam Raimi was a fan of), seeing as the comics continuously reboot characters to some degree for new audiences/eras I guess it's not surprising for the same to happen with the films as well. Maybe the new film (and probably sequels) will be more representative of a different period of the comics - I suspect the Ultimate line will be a big influence on The Amazing Spider-Man and I believe Brian Michael Bendis has been a consultant on this one.

Post #: 135
RE: Stupid Name! - 3/5/2011 9:07:24 AM   
morg1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

Either way, I am looking forward to it, I think Andrew Garfield is a good actor and can show many emotions.
Is it actually a remake of Spiderman or is it someone else's version to it? Are they doing what they did with Batman?

It's a reboot so basically what Warner Bros did with Batman: forget the previous films and start over, although arguably Spider-Man 3 was nowhere near as bad as Batman & Robin so a complete overhaul rather than sequel doesn't feel as necessary. Peter is back in high school (presumably for the whole movie) and no doubt the film will cover his origins to some degree, as previously discussed on the thread I'm hoping it's not a strict "origin movie" again but if Sony are hitting the restart button it probably will be.

Having given it some thought I personally think the series can stand to be rebooted even though I'd rather have just seen a sequel with a new cast and direction. As much as I enjoyed the previous films they were still kind of corny and I think really were a representation of the 60s comics (which is the era that Sam Raimi was a fan of), seeing as the comics continuously reboot characters to some degree for new audiences/eras I guess it's not surprising for the same to happen with the films as well. Maybe the new film (and probably sequels) will be more representative of a different period of the comics - I suspect the Ultimate line will be a big influence on The Amazing Spider-Man and I believe Brian Michael Bendis has been a consultant on this one.

There was word back in February that it is not a reboot but a story that wasn’t told in the first three films.  Now this was back in February so things may have changed!? http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/126829-the-amazing-spider-man-not-exactly-a-reboot  

We've got to start thinking beyond our guns. Those days are closin' fast.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 136
RE: Stupid Name! - 3/5/2011 3:24:29 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: morg1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marwood

quote:

There was word back in February that it is not a reboot but a story that wasn’t told in the first three films.  Now this was back in February so things may have changed!? http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/126829-the-amazing-spider-man-not-exactly-a-reboot  

I think Arad's talking cobblers tbh or he's been misquoted.

If this is set during the same timeline of the Raimi films' universe it theoretically would take place between Peter getting his powers and graduating High School seeing as Garfield's Peter is a high school student from what's been released so far. Could make sense....

Except they have to explain away the web shooters he doesn't use at all in any of the other films, the relationship with Gwen who doesn't appear again until Spider-Man 3, where Mary Jane, Harry Osborne and Norman are during all this, how Dr Connors doesn't seem to have any ill effects of being a mutant lizard in 2 and 3 (actually that could be explained away with a bit of tech speak and handy amnesia) and why Captain Stacey is alive and well in 3 where it's pretty clear from recent leaked pics and Denis Leary's comments that he's going to (spoiler?) die in this film.

I don't buy it, I think Arad's just trying to downplay the idea of it being a reboot to avoid pissing off Raimi fans who felt he got a raw deal....but trying to call it an "inbetweenuel" (did I just create a word?) is a very weird way of doing it. Plus this is likely the first of a series of new films, how are the sequels to an inbetweenuel supposed to work?

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 137
RE: Spiderman reboot - 4/5/2011 8:41:41 AM   
WroughtKadin

Yeah i am also eagerly waiting for spider man 4...

Patio Furniture Clearance

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 138
RE: Spiderman reboot - 5/5/2011 12:50:35 AM   
KeithM

Finding it hard to get over the suckiness of the suit. That leg stripe. That arm stripe. Those gloves. Those boots. The shininess. Ugh!

I like the cast, I liked (500) Days of Summer, so I'm intrigued as to what Webb can bring to the table, but that suit is baaaaad mojo.

(in reply to WroughtKadin)
Post #: 139
RE: Spiderman reboot - 6/5/2011 7:26:31 PM   
Gkel

Spidey was my favorite comics character --I didnt like the Raimi movies.
Dont like the new costume in this but glad they have the webshooters--it was silly in Raimi's version to exclude  them by saying that audiences wouldnt find it realistic when the concept of being bitten by a spider and getting super-powers is also unrealistic and they could have said he borrowed some technology from Osborne's company to aid the design-its a fantasy story after all. Also glad they are sticking him in high school. I didnt think Raimi followed the 60s era comics much at all--he sped through the fun stuff like the rivalry with Flash Thompson-turned him into a thug basically, and the Crusher Hogan encounter wasnt as visually exciting as I hoped. Plus they completely distorted PP's reasons for fighting crime. In the comic he becomes arrogant after his showbiz success-in the movie he gets shafted by the fight promoter, that  was the reason he didnt stop the thief. Instead of feeling bad for getting arrogant he felt guilty for being rebellious to his uncle right before he got killed--hated that change.They dumbed it down considerably.
The best version of the story for me was a late 70s PP-Spectacular Spider-man where they included things like his encounter with a couple of thugs in an alley and his taunting by and  contempt for his classmates, and how he made his costume.

I think the Raimi movies relied too much on cg and could have benefited from some  real aerial stunt work--in Superman the Movie they had a couple of flights through the city and that sort of thing was absent from the Raimi movies. It felt claustrophobic and stagey. Darkman had more of that feeling with the helicopter sequence. Too much cg cityscapes.

They also adopted that 80s plot element with Mary Jane so she wasnt the carefree beatnik type and took up way too much screen time. I think it should have been PP's story first (by 2001 there had been a longer run of comics with Mary Jane as a supporting character  than  with her as the significant other--like 40 years vs 15).
The stuff with him living next door to her since they were 7 and having bedroom windows like 6 inches apart from each other and not getting to know each other was definitely a stretch I think, and the concentration on her acting career was irritating.
Plus one of the best Stan Lee stories from the early 60s was when Peter gets the flu and loses his powers, getting shamed in front of the Sandman and all his admirers--and in Spider-man 2 they turned that into some kind of hokey love sickness due to his love of Mary Jane.
"Woo her with poetry."

Not to mention Osborn's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers goblin helmet.

They also didnt give him the quips he was known for in the comics-constantly taunting opponents.
I would hope some of that is in this version, but I am ready for disappointment.

"Eat recycled food. Recycled food is good for the environment and ok for you."

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 140
RE: Spiderman reboot - 6/5/2011 10:04:01 PM   
KeithM

The problem with webshooters is the internal logic problem it creates with the character as presented (overlooked by the audience at the time - and now - but pointed out as a gaping plot-hole by pseudo-sophisticated nerds with too much time on their hands. Like me. )

See, the whole 'thing' about Spidey that originally set him apart from the others is that he could be us. He isn't a star athlete, he isn't very popular. But he is quite smart (not Reed Richards/Tony Stark smart - just smart enough that he could be the type of person who reads Spidey - university/college students mainly, when he was created), not well off - and even moreso when Uncle Ben dies... which is why he takes a job at the Bugle - to help Aunt May out with the mortgate/rent payments...

All good, solid character groundwork-building stuff. Great in fact, as it turned out. Very relate-able. Ripe with conflict, struggle, emotional resonance, drama, everything you need...

But wait...

He INVENTS artificial, configurable spider-silk - the material chemist's holy grail! When he's still in high-school!

First, if he's THAT smart, that puts him way beyond 'us' (most of us at least). His 'normalness', albeit on the brainier nerd end of the scale, is arguably a large part of his appeal and longevity, so make him TOO smart and you risk breaking that appeal. He's just another impossibly gifted person, nothing like us, who just gets even more gifted. That works for some (Batman/Iron Man), but that's not supposed to be Spidey.  It's kinda meant to feel like if WE got the same powers. Gifted genius inventor = slight empathy fail.

But anyway, back to the point...

He's rich. Rich beyond his wildest dreams.

Even if he doesn't sell it, even if he doesn't show off its full potential, all he need do is make the tiniest demonstration of its simplest properties (stickiness, elasticity, strength, bio-degradablitiy) and he can take his pick of any University in the world, any materials science company. Made. For life. He needn't even work. He could live off the patent royalties.

Not only that, but he also has the engineering genius to devise an applicator which mimics a spider's spinnerets - again a feat which would earn him a place in any chemical/engineering applications lab in the world or a life of luxury off the patents.

He can still be Spidey, but nearly all the conflict from his story is gone (well, he could have new conflicts based on being uber rich and successful, but we tried that in House of M and it weren't nearly as compelling frankly).  Even if he tells the world nothing about the shooters and web, the capability just to come up with them is enough to ensure he'd be able to make a very good living in either of those fields. Even as a high-schooler he should know about patents, royalties, or just the value of what he's created at the very least. How could he not? No matter what other imperatives, surely the thought of his Aunt constantly stressing about the house payments, having heart-attacks from worry and stress, should drive him to do something just to make her life a bit more comfortable and less stressful. What is wrong with him, the bastard?

You can say "blah, it's fantasy, who cares", but the logic does strain the bounds of 'willing suspension of disbelief' - sure, radioactive/genetically altered spider-bite is nonsense too, but if that's the 'gimme' the story needs in order to make its magic then that's fair enough - as the audience we're more than happy to make those 'what if' imaginative leaps.

But ask us to believe a guy smart enough to invent artificial spider silk AND the engineering smarts to make incredibly hi-tech 'shooters' isn't smart enough to know he could be working for big bucks at any chem/sci/engineering lab or facility in the world - or could be Spidey without worrying about money or work at all, rather than taking JJJ's crap at the Bugle...

Well it's a bit of a "come on, I thought he was supposed to be smart!" type gaping plot hole isn't it? I'm not buying his 'reality' any more. His relate-ability is gone. His 'conflictedness' is false, his concerns a sham. He's a genius and a complete moron at the same time. A fuck-up I can believe, but this is like the solution to all his problems staring him in the face Every Single Day.

Not to mention that if he's really that smart, his professors/teachers would notice, and he'd be fast-tracked/cherry-picked/head-hunted before he even started thinking about the Daily Bugle, and he probably never would have needed to think about wrestling to make some quick dough, and Uncle Ben never would have died...

Yes it's looking at 'kids stuff' with an adult eye, but that's exactly what's driven the form for decades since comics started 'growing up' - needing to become a little more sophisticated in tune with the older audience compared to when these characters were created. It's why we don't have the old villain's monologue any more - unless post-ironically - it was silly and a 'villain' just wouldn't do that if he had half a brain (unless post-having-already-done-it style ala Watchmen).

The "gimme" in these things are "what if super-powers were real" - and that's fine. But if people don't behave consistently within the framework of their own 'reality', then the "gimme" is a lot harder to buy. That's why movie-makers talk about grounding them in some kind of human reality - even (especially?) in a case like Thor or Lord of the Rings, where they don't shy away from any of the 'epic' or the fantasy, they make a point of making the characters as 'real' as they can so we can engage more and buy into the spectacular.

Webshooters + Poor Peter Parker simply strains my suspension of disbelief to the point where I'm just not buying into it as wholeheartedly as I could be if the logic was more believable.

Not enough to 'ruin it' for me - I'm not nearly as po-faced or as self-kill-joying as the above dissection might indicate. If I absolutely must swallow the idea that no-one can recognise Superman when he wears glasses, or that a prodigal genius chemist/engineer needs to hawk photos to scrape a few bucks together in order to enjoy them for what they are, then I will. But I like it better when these things are examined and addressed and I can buy into the 'reality' a bit easier, without such awkward questions.

At least the 'organic' shooters did that.

FWIW. 

Anyway, shooters or not, the suit still sucks.

< Message edited by KeithM -- 6/5/2011 10:47:33 PM >

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 141
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 12:56:02 AM   
Gkel

In the comics I believe he did attempt to sell the formula but the lack of permanence (dissolves in an hour) made it undesirable for industry.
He was smart but not that smart-and it was firmly established to be in the marvel universe where no character was truly average-if they were there would be no super powers.I could buy the average angle more if there was no connection to the rest of the Marvel universe but right from issue #1 the connection was there.
I think he was supposed to be a superhero with problems more than one that is average.That was a secondary aspect of the character and the organic shooters creates the problem of why his other abilities were located roughly where they would be on a spider but the webshooters were on his wrist.The consistency gets lost in the fantasy anyway.

< Message edited by Gkel -- 7/5/2011 12:59:57 AM >

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 142
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 1:24:44 AM   
musht

I don't mind the fake web shooter, although isn't it handy that a guy who gets spider powers is also able to invent fake web and a shooter and also web is a crucial spider ability it makes sense for them to be organic otherwise he as well be bug man but anyway I'm not that fussed as long as they don't overuse the cliched 'oh no something drastics about to happen but I'm out of web' it's allowed happen once, after that the question of 'how stupid is this guy that he doesn't learn to check how much web he has left before he heads out on the prowl' becomes too overwhelming

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 143
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 12:50:42 PM   
Gkel

I also liked that he had to save money for his web fluid ingredients instead of having the money already like a millionaire super hero.
The webshooters on his arms are hard to hide though-those cartridges had to be pretty big to allow him to swing across the city-- I seem to recall he was stashing cartridges on designated rooftops to make it easier to reload.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 144
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 1:51:05 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gkel

I also liked that he had to save money for his web fluid ingredients instead of having the money already like a millionaire super hero.

And that sums up the illogicality of it.

The very thing he needs to scrape money together to make more of is the key to being a millionaire super hero and never having to worry about that again, and he's too stupid to see it.

Btw - the fact that it degrades after an hour would NOT see him being turned away by ANYONE in industry. Not even a Decca executive. Just the mere fact that he got that far would have anyone offer him a 'name your price' deal. And if he patented it, he would still make a fortune - there would still be a million-and-one applications for temporary artificial spider-silk with those properties.

Plus, if he can make artificial spider spinneret shooters, he could whip up the nozzle alone as a revolutionary chemical applicator for all sorts of industrial uses.

There comes a point when it just doesn't make any sense that someone who can make those types of things is constantly struggling for money - when money is a HUGE issue in his life, beyond and above the need for more web fluid. 

It don't have to be kitchen sink realism, but making some kind of sense helps.

< Message edited by KeithM -- 7/5/2011 1:58:40 PM >

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 145
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 3:39:39 PM   
Gkel

I dont see that--it works within the logic of the fantasy universe where a radioactive spider bite can give you superpowers.
Sure as a toy the webshooter would be a cool novelty, although not as practical as something permanent, but it was never supposed to be 100 percent realistic story.
If he really wanted to make money he could have sold his services to the military or become a star athlete even if he didnt have mechanical webshooters.Could have been a millionaire that way too.

But he was also guilt ridden about his uncle so I dont know--even that probably wasnt realistic--he was fighting crime out of memory for his uncle I suppose-but realistically working for the police or FBI as a government agent would have accomplished that and made him more money (they might have seen him as a dangerous freak but the use they could have made for his powers probably would have quashed that).

One definitely isnt supposed to put that much thought into it.
But with regards to the Raimi movie-what makes it so silly is that they claimed it wasnt realistic-and yet having PP and MJ living practically side by side for 15 years and not talking to each other? Or him having a crush on her since he was 6?
Hokey way beyond anything in a comic book.

< Message edited by Gkel -- 7/5/2011 3:51:56 PM >

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 146
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 3:51:59 PM   
musht

if he sold the tech he'd be selling one of his biggest assets over his enemies and one of the things that makes him unique.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 147
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 5:06:04 PM   
Gkel

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

if he sold the tech he'd be selling one of his biggest assets over his enemies and one of the things that makes him unique.

*yeah that's the other thing--he was being attacked by super villains all the time-I cant even be sure he tried to sell his web formula-maybe he only thought about it. He tried selling his image to a trading card company.
Once he started fighting crime he was called a menace by Jameson anyway.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 148
RE: Spiderman reboot - 7/5/2011 7:16:08 PM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Patenting the technology for the fluid wouldn't necessarily mean that anyone else could replicate Spidey's use of them, unless they also have Parker's genius with nano-tech engineering - it's the shooters which shape and project the webs. Also selling part of his technology - such as the nozzle, or the miniaturised high-pressure delivery system, etc. - would not automatically lead to a web-shooter. The technology is not the application. Knowing how to make fibre glass does not mean you can make a boat.

(or he could come up with entirely new tech - if he can come up with these two revolutionary inventions in two entirely different fields, then he can come up with any number of new, completely unrelated tech too)

I know this kind of scrutiny shines all sorts of problems, but surely it's better to just deal with these kinds of issues, preferably from the start, and then they're not so easily exposed as weaknesses in the story. Surely making the 'mythology', the internal logic of everything, more robust can only serve to enhance, not detract?

We're talking about his pure natural brains here remember, if we go the shooters route. This has nothing to do with the spider-bite or Spider-man. We know he wouldn't use his powers for personal gain - we saw how that turned out with the wrestling and Uncle Ben, but he OWES it to his Aunt to use whatever natural gifts he has to make HER life easier.

The possibility of most of his foes having the chemistry knowledge to figure out how to make actual Spidey-like webs from the most basic formulation of his web fluid PLUS the engineering genius to figure out how to make shooters work is fairly remote and would only apply to the rare few (who as I point out below could figure out ways to get hold of the fluid all on their own).

Weigh that against the broad beneficial applications for mankind such a fluid could have (think of the medical uses), and what poverty and the constant threat of losing her home is doing to his Aunt's poor heart and 'your' reasoning for why he doesn't take advantage of his perfectly natural, entirely legitimate gifts to make her life easier sounds extremely selfish and short sighted. It's almost 'villain-ish' in the greediness and self-serving-ness of it.

Plus, if he doesn't patent it, someone else will... and fairly quickly.  I'd be following him around, scraping up bits of web and getting them analysed. If Spidey doesn't want to give the world the benefit of his knowledge, fix his Aunt's problems and get so stinking rich he could fill his swimming pools with web fluid, then someone else will (and he loses that 'edge' anyway).

Unless you're hypothesising that's he's SO smart that not only does he invent it, but it's too advanced for science to analyse and replicate. This is a manufactured chemical right? If he used technology known to us to make it, we have the technology to analyse and reverse-engineer it. And someone would, of that you can be sure. So he better get there first.

I don't see any of this as 'stifling' the fantasy or the storytelling at all. I just see them as simple logic flaws that a little thought in addressing would go a long way to making them more robust under scrutiny and would lead to storytelling opportunities all their own.

Make the webs organic, for example, and you solve both problems. It might defy easy analysis because it's produced organically rather than with known technology, making it impossible to replicate - and it removes the need for Parker to be impossible-to-be-poor-smart.

The one issue people have with organic webs seems to be "why doesn't it come from his arse?"

Because his arse doesn't point the way he's going. Evolution (even when forced) knows what it's doing. Happy?

< Message edited by KeithM -- 7/5/2011 7:28:58 PM >

(in reply to Gkel)
Post #: 149
RE: Spiderman reboot - 9/5/2011 3:01:14 PM   
Marwood

I think this comes down to whether you're a purist or not really, I prefer the idea of organic webs and think the shooters are one part of the mythology that is hardly essential for a successful screen translation but others as evidenced are vehemently for their inclusion. I know you have to suspend your disbelief a lot for these films but as Keith pointed out there's got to be some internal logic they use and I'm struggling to see how the filmmakers would sidestep the webs thing beyond saying "He's Spider-Man, he uses web shooters you donut".

A compromise I always liked the idea of which was bandied around a lot when the 2002 film was in production is that Peter generates webs organically as part of his mutation but uses the shooters to "weaponise" them, i.e. normally they just spurt out (careful now) but when funnelled with the shooters he can create individual lines etc. That I think would make more sense than him creating his own miracle fluid but using it only to fight crime.

(in reply to KeithM)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Amazing Spider-Man Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI