Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Not bad, not good

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Not bad, not good Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Not bad, not good - 8/1/2008 3:31:07 PM   
user2563

The Simpsons have been a classic TV show and lifted people's souls and jaws with 20 years of comedy, drama and slapstick coloured in yellow. However, the movie doesn't show a hint of it of their success. Sure it has its moments, but the comedy never lasts as the consistent jokes can get out of date after 3 previewings. You may prefer the deleted scenes than them. Verdict: Not a giant disaster, but a giant dissapointment.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 271
not great - 15/2/2008 1:20:00 PM   
lewey T

it has a few laughs the first time but is not a film i would watch again!

Post #: 272
not great - 15/2/2008 1:20:10 PM   
lewey T

Post #: 273
not great - 15/2/2008 1:20:18 PM   
lewey T

Post #: 274
What's wrong with Empire? - 10/3/2008 9:45:37 AM   
blaud

This is very good. Very funny, and worth every second of the several year-long wait.

Post #: 275
What's wrong with Empire? - 10/3/2008 9:45:44 AM   
blaud

This is very good. Very funny, and worth every second of the several year-long wait.

Post #: 276
RE: The Simpsons Movie - 4/4/2008 10:33:43 PM   
CocoIndiana

I don't think the film is poor, I just think that the media said " Wow! Simpsons! It's gonna be sooo brilliant! " so we all got our hopes up. When in actual fact, it was funny, witty and delivered what it promised.

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 277
No. No, No - 21/4/2008 7:46:18 PM   
IsabelB

Im lucky because i didnt need to pay to see this. if i did pay i would have shot myself as soon as the credits would come on. i had high hopes for this film but really, none of the gags are funny. This really shouldnt have been no 1 at the british box office when it was released because all the films that were released in the same week were probaly a lot more deserving

Post #: 278
The Simpsons Movie. - 22/4/2008 3:57:40 PM   
nc_jj

No, no, no. What a let down, man!

Post #: 279
wohoo or d'oh?! - 27/4/2008 8:49:35 PM   
tango fett

well this film i though was in general quite good. when i saw it in the cinema almost everyone was laughing throughout and i felt it was a good tribute to the series. i can see what empire means by it being like 3 episodes stranded together but in a time when epic movie and date movie are considered "comedy classics" by some people i think the simpsons movie is a lot better than what people give it credit for. If there is a sequel though mr. burns has to be the villain.

Post #: 280
Disappointing - 29/4/2008 2:31:50 PM   
alain_prost 2

Fantastical plot; prefer the episodes

Post #: 281
Funny But Not Really Funny. - 29/4/2008 5:48:39 PM   
joanna likes films

I was really looking forward for the Simpsons Movie, I got it on Christmas Day and was overjoyed as I am a massive fan. Problem was, I was a little disappointed at the verdict. Sure, there are some funny and tender moments like Spider Pig and the strain on Homer and Marge's relationship. Lisa's found love with Colin seemed rushed and not a lot to go for, Bart seemed like he wasn't there and when he was he was hanging around Ned?! The other people were hardly in it, I adore Groundskeeper Willie as he reminds me of a certain Scottish man that I love but most of them were pushed at the back and didn't have a lot to show for. Very disappointing but fun, I would watch it again but not for high hopes that I used to have.

Post #: 282
RE: The Simpsons Movie - 30/4/2008 10:20:31 AM   
Dukez

quote:

ORIGINAL: random_sam
. Great adaptation if you ask me.

I agree

(in reply to random_sam)
Post #: 283
RE: The Simpsons Movie - 30/4/2008 5:52:29 PM   
DanCurley

Rotten, from start to finish.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Dukez)
Post #: 284
RE: The Simpsons Movie - 30/4/2008 6:03:28 PM   
vish96

The movie wasn't as good then i thought but there was some good scenes, it wasn't good

Post #: 285
Empire dropped the ball on this one - 22/7/2008 2:42:39 PM   
jomo999

Didn't need a movie? Perhaps you failed to see the quality of the tv series was waning anf frankly this film is everythign the simpsons used to be - funny, timely, clever and just plain feel-good. There's much more to this than just decent animation and a few chuckles.
Not perfect, but riotous fun. Kudos to Groening and team.

Post #: 286
RE: Empire dropped the ball on this one - 29/9/2008 6:41:39 PM   
ordboy17

Have just got round to watching it. Due to the very poor quality of the new episodes I was in no rush to see this movie. Now I've finally watched it I can some it up with one sentence.... A complete pile of wank! There is one decent joke in the whole movie. They should have given up on the simpsons after series 8 or 9.

(in reply to jomo999)
Post #: 287
RE: Funny But Not Really Funny. - 29/9/2008 9:37:07 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: joanna likes films

there are some funny and tender moments like Spider Pig and the strain on Homer and Marge's relationship.

Damn it, Spider Pig was NOT funny - it was cring-worthy bad.

Amd Homer and Marge having some marriage difficulty is the plot for at least 100 Simpsons episodes. 

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 288
RE: Funny But Not Really Funny. - 29/9/2008 9:54:40 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: joanna likes films

there are some funny and tender moments like Spider Pig and the strain on Homer and Marge's relationship.

Damn it, Spider Pig was NOT funny - it was cring-worthy bad.

Amd Homer and Marge having some marriage difficulty is the plot for at least 100 Simpsons episodes. 

This is one of those rare times when you and I are in complete agreement, Tech.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 289
RE: Funny But Not Really Funny. - 30/9/2008 4:25:14 PM   
rancorpuppet

The 'Yeah, but, no, but yeah" generation have latched onto spider-pig - which would have been a throwaway gag in early 'The Simpsons' episodes. The eco message was ponderous and the set-pieces were re-mountings of classic, famous TV set pieces.
I want Groening in a room with some writers and animators and start again. This movie was 'product' when it could have been so much more. Did Groening even get near a production meeting on it?

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 290
I Might didn't need one. - 1/10/2008 1:22:08 PM   
AFTP

It might not needed a movie, but it got one, and it's great this is really a movie a not a long episode. The Plot wasn't orginal but it was good anyway. Animation looked great. This is better then the last 5 season of The Simpsons.

< Message edited by AFTP -- 1/10/2008 1:31:00 PM >

Post #: 291
I COMPLETELY CONCUR. - 18/10/2008 1:15:00 AM   
Jay20

Thank god a critic was clearly eyed enough to see this movie for what is is: unadulterated overrated bastardized washed up trash. The Simpsons was superb in its heyday, which was from 1989-1998. Sadly, by 2007, the show was flatter than Coke opened for a month. I had to force myself, FORCE myself to laugh during the movie, because I couldn't bear the thought of having paid $11 for lame, trite trash. The guest starts are superfluous, as they have been since 1999, just appearing to appear, get their 5 million dollar check, and give the film more publicity. It boggles me how many critics in my country loved it. I would bet the critics were harassed, coerced, and paid off to rave review it. Thank God Ian Nathan is not. The plot was nothing but a sad attempt to recreate the Jetsons Movie. I mean come on, a pig who shits a lot is the plot? President Schwarzenegger? Oh come on, at least use McBain, an original Simpsons idea, or even....George W Bush! Common, you can't make him unfunny. But this movie chooses to instead show us to Bart's developing manhood, or boyhood. A lot of electricity and CO2 was wasted animating this thing.

Post #: 292
- 23/10/2008 8:19:41 PM   
willchadwick

It's funny, true it isn't classic Simpsons but it is funny and don't doubt yourself because you can't say you didn't laugh

Post #: 293
- 12/11/2008 8:44:20 PM   
Pat Roach

I laughed much more the second time around. They screwed it up to be honest - the fact that we're debating whether it's good or not is mental and should never have happened - but I did laugh. My girlfriend loved it!

Post #: 294
crushed by 18 series of expectation - 25/1/2009 10:47:25 AM   
THE DALTONATOR

i am one of the many fans of quite frankly one of if not the best show on tv...the simpsons. i have now 11 series on dvd and think it is genuis. what this film does well is provide lots and lots of gags and i chcuckled the whole way through, it mixes in jokes with hillarious political commentary and tried to features as many of the shows characters as possible, the problem is that so many people were expecting something great it couldnt deliver and it just felt like an extended episode it wasnt awful but it wasnt great and i think the less you have seen of the series the more you will laugh as when one of my realtives who has only seen the occasional simpsons episode was laughing the whole way through and at jokes which we fans have all seen before (homer hurting himself) but still decent effort just crushed by expectations of greatness.

Post #: 295
- 9/2/2009 12:24:36 PM   
SkullKassidy

Totally with Empire here ...just cos something is a good TV series (...and it's debatable that The Simpsons hasn't been that either for quite some time, but that's for a different review) doesn't mean it'll make a good movie.

Ok, I've given it one more star than Empire did cos I think it's "Ok" and did make me chuckle on occasion.

Post #: 296
Good Movie - 13/3/2009 9:07:37 PM   
caps_fan2490

I think that if you like the simpsons as a series than you might like the movie because the movie was like the series only longer than a regular episode

Post #: 297
D'oh nuts! - 6/4/2009 6:27:09 PM   
lukeynemo

The Simpsons is the greatest tv show ever made. Don't argue. Therefore, making a movie was always going to be a really bad move in terms of comparitive quality; any writer knows that a 22 minute show is funny much more esily. Quadruple that run time, and you've got a pickle on your hands.

However, everyone knew this would make a lot of money, so on we go...

Plotwise, Springfield has been trapped in a massive dome thanks to an environmental disaster triggered by Homer. The family has somehow escaped the city.

And there's the first fault right there: The Simpsons was brilliant becuase it wasn't just the SImpsons, it was the whole of Springfield. We flash back to the city from time to time to see how the community copes in dome life, but these feel more like filler skits (ironic for a show that started as a filler skit for one Tracey Ulman) than actual plot points.

There is also an inexplicable focus on certain characters who never featured in the Simpsons: The Evil EPA guy who traps Springfield is given a LOT of screen time, and not only is he not a Simpsons character, he's not that funny either. Meanwhile, characters like Mr. BUrns and Grampa Simpson are only given token scenes. It's unbalanced and messy.

Bart has been more or less castrated in a bizarre sub-plot where he is drawn to the Flanders family, feeling in need of a proper father figure. Not funny, not logical, and, let's face it, not the Bart we know. Marge has her moments but she was always the balance to Homer's lunacy, so she's not supposed to be hilarious anyway. Maggie barely features in the laughs and Lisa has been relegated to a whiny environmentalist whilst falling in love with an Irish kid (again, NOT A SIMPSON'S CHARACTER).

So that leaves Homer to carry more or less the whole film. And even that's not great and even if it was that's the point: The Simpsons was never just about Homer, so why is it in the movie? Remember that trailer with the rock and the hard place gag? That's the

Post #: 298
- 18/5/2009 10:41:34 PM   
TheGodfather

The Simpsons Movie
There was a piece in the newspaper this morning about 20 years Simpsons, so I thought I`d watch the movie again, inspired by the article.
I even liked it more this time then when I first watched it when it played in cinema. Excellent jokes, Homer of course steals the show. The word jokes are great and the fingerpointing towards other movies is really cool.
Nothing wrong with that, really enjoyed it!

8,7/10

Post #: 299
Worst show ever..... - 8/9/2009 9:38:30 PM   
S1lent B0b

they should have made this a good 15 years ago now that the shows filled whit moe rubbish than a 15 foot bin

Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Not bad, not good Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI