Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 24/8/2011 6:41:43 PM   
big dawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I recently read and loved this and am about to start on Red Seas Under Red Skies. Can't wait, cheers to sharky for the recommendation in another thread (also love the 1st First law book by Abercrombie so thanks for that as well, I'll also be starting Perdido Street Station after this on your recommendation, let's see if you get a hat-trick ).

All wonderful books. Perdido St Station I cant recommend enough

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 61
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 25/8/2011 12:04:36 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

quote:

I recently read and loved this and am about to start on Red Seas Under Red Skies. Can't wait, cheers to sharky for the recommendation in another thread (also love the 1st First law book by Abercrombie so thanks for that as well, I'll also be starting Perdido Street Station after this on your recommendation, let's see if you get a hat-trick ).

Yeah, I have to say I'm quietly confident of that hat-trick!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 62
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 3/10/2011 2:19:20 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

quote:

Yeah, I have to say I'm quietly confident of that hat-trick!

I have to say I'm really struggling with Perdido Street Station at the moment. I've been reading it for about a month and at the moment am only about 130 pages in(which is a bad sign in itself, I iusually polish off books in days). I dunno what it is but I just can't get into it. I don't know if it's the writing style or something else but I'm just not feeling it.

I think I'll move on to Abercrombie's Before They Are Hanged before coming back and giving it another go.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 63
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 3/10/2011 3:06:16 PM   
sharkboy

I have to admit, it took quite a few pages for me to get into Perdido Street Station but once you get past the set-up of the events and into the flow of the writing, it quickly becomes hard to put down.  Stick with it, you'll not regret it.

Also, I want my hat-trick!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 64
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 3/10/2011 3:10:47 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I think I've going to have to read Red Skies again as by the time Republic has come out I'll have forgotten it all!!!

By the time the other 4 are released after that I'll have retired

Having just finished Best Served Cold, I realised how much I had missed this style of writing. Have to settle for The Heroes in the meantime!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 65
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 3/10/2011 3:19:23 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I have to admit, it took quite a few pages for me to get into Perdido Street Station but once you get past the set-up of the events and into the flow of the writing, it quickly becomes hard to put down.  Stick with it, you'll not regret it.

Also, I want my hat-trick!

I think the problem is that I've been feeling a little lost from the start. To be honest, starting the story proper with a post sex scene between a human and a humanoid with a bug head is quite a WTF introduction into the Universe . I almost feel as if I'm diving straight into the 2nd book in a trilogy, bypassing all the early exposition and character introductions in the process.

I will stick with it though, I hardly ever give up on a book completely, I'm far too stubborn for that.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 66
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 3/10/2011 3:45:27 PM   
big dawg

Yeah, dont quit...its worth the slog. I really fancy reading the First Law trilogy again, and I've just finished Red Seas Under Red Skies recently. I have to admit, its not a patch on the first. I still like it and it has some terrific moments, but Locke just seemed quite annoying. I just want some more Bondsmage and some Sabetha

< Message edited by big dawg -- 3/10/2011 3:46:27 PM >

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 67
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 15/6/2012 2:32:21 PM   
Harry Tuttle

So, anyone think The Republic of Thieves is likely to get a release this autumn then? On Scott Lynch's Wiki page it says it's due for release in Autumn 2012 but if you go into the wiki page for the actual book it says September 3rd 2013 .

If it does get released this year then roll on Autumn. Joe Abercrombie's next book set in the First Law Universe is also due out in October.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 68
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 15/6/2012 2:38:46 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Joe Abercrombie's next book set in the First Law Universe is also due out in October.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 69
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 15/6/2012 2:54:13 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

Joe Abercrombie's next book set in the First Law Universe is also due out in October.

Indeed.

It's another standalone ala Best Served Cold and Heroes rather than an addition to the existing trilogy though. Not that it bothers me a jot, I thought Best Served Cold was brilliant and Heroes was a very enjoyable read.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 70
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 15/6/2012 3:22:02 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Agreed.

I enjoyed Best Served Cold more than Heroes but as long as it is brutal and dirty (in the muddy sense!) then that's fine

Post #: 71
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 24/6/2012 2:43:07 PM   
big dawg

yeah im a big fan of abercrombie. I thought The Heroes was excellent. New one is called A Red Country i think, and features everones favourite mercenary Nicomo Cosca and possibly the re-appearance of a certain nine fingered character.

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 72
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 24/6/2012 4:04:31 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

yeah im a big fan of abercrombie. I thought The Heroes was excellent. New one is called A Red Country i think, and features everones favourite mercenary Nicomo Cosca and possibly the re-appearance of a certain nine fingered character.

It's a shame that Shivers has already killed Black Dow in The Heroes as I would have loved for Logan to have had the chance to fuck him up. Also, it's about time somebody brought Bayaz down a peg or two as well.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 73
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 24/6/2012 6:43:33 PM   
big dawg

It's amazing how unlikeable Bayaz is. In 5 books of some quite horrid characters, he really takes the plaudits. I had no idea Shivers was in The Heroes so I was pleasantly surprised when he popped up. What we need is Glokta back!

In regards to Lamora....I have my doubts we'll have book 3 this year ...Scott Lynch's Live Journal had some really good stuff about the early drafts of Locke Lamora. Well worth a read

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 74
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 24/6/2012 6:55:18 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

What we need is Glokta back!

Hell yes!!

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 75
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 25/6/2012 2:56:13 PM   
Rob

I finished Locke Lamora at the weekend and loved it. Great characters, a superb balance of hi-jinks and genuine tension, a cracking plot, and an imaginative world. Couldn't ask for a whole lot more to be honest. I've got a couple of other books to get through and then it's unto Red Seas under Red Skies

Lynch's website is saying that the Gentleman Bastards return this year. I assume that's a reference to Book 3 and not the novellas but I could be wrong.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 76
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 25/6/2012 3:09:36 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Lynch's website is saying that the Gentleman Bastards return this year. I assume that's a reference to Book 3 and not the novellas but I could be wrong.

Been saying that since last year (or the year before!)   I just know I've had it on my Amazon wishlist for AGES.......

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 77
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 25/6/2012 3:18:06 PM   
Rob

B*gger. So which will get finished first? Gentleman Bastards or a Song of Ice and Fire?

I really wish I could pick up both entire sagas en masse!

The good thing about Wheel of Time is that because I came to it so late, I won't have have any lengthy waits in between books.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

Post #: 78
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 25/6/2012 4:16:07 PM   
big dawg

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Been saying that since last year (or the year before!)   I just know I've had it on my Amazon wishlist for AGES.......

.....or the year before the year before

Gamertag - SqualorVic

Post #: 79
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 25/6/2012 6:06:53 PM   
pedros

quote:

quote:

It's a shame that Shivers has already killed Black Dow in The Heroes as I would have loved for Logan to have had the chance to fuck him up. Also, it's about time somebody brought Bayaz down a peg or two as well.

I just started The Heroes this morning

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

Post #: 80
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 25/6/2012 6:51:15 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

quote:

quote:

Fuck. Sorry .

I've had something spoiled for me by reading an unrelated thread before today so I genuinely am sorry.

Acting...Naturaaal

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 81
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 12/7/2012 9:48:56 PM   
pedros

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

quote:

quote:

Fuck. Sorry .

I've had something spoiled for me by reading an unrelated thread before today so I genuinely am sorry.

No worries - just seen this as I avoided this thread but finished the book this morning. I really enjoyed it, but I think I need to re-read the other books before Red Country comes out as I couldn't remember all the stuff that had gone on before. But I enjoyed The Heroes alot more than Best Served Cold.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

Post #: 82
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 12/8/2012 9:35:18 AM   
MOTH

i had dithered about buying this book, but I decided to yesterday when I picked up a brand new hardback copy of it in a sale for.........49p.
Better be worth it.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 83
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 13/8/2012 11:37:56 AM   
Rob

Coming to the end of Red Seas (about 100 pages to go) and once again thoroughly enjoyed / enjoying reading about the further adventures of the characters.

However, reading between the lines on Scott's blog it does seem very unlikely that Republic of Thieves will see the light of day this year.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 84
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 18/8/2012 9:28:03 AM   
Fit Kisto

quote:

It's amazing how unlikeable Bayaz is. In 5 books of some quite horrid characters, he really takes the plaudits.

Yeah, its always grueling to see how much worse he is going to make things for everyone else.
In a way Bayaz's continued presence provides a nutshell summary of Abercrombie's works "What if Gandalf was a complete c**t?".

Really looking forward to Red Country in October. its heavily influenced by Deadwood apparently.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 85
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 14/9/2012 11:13:15 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Latest publication date for Republic of Thieves is 18th October

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 86
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 14/9/2012 11:20:55 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Latest publication date for Republic of Thieves is 18th October

I shall join you in .

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 87
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 14/9/2012 12:07:24 PM   
Hobbitonlass

If we get Homer and Shool involved do you think we'll stand a better chance of being heard?

Post #: 88
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 14/9/2012 1:04:17 PM   
squeezyrider

Where did you come by this piece of information. been searching fervently for something confirming this but Amazon (highly unreliable as it is) is still showing 3 September 2013. I cant see anything on Gollancz or on Scott's blog or livejournal either.  

Yorkshire is a place...

Yorkshire is a state of mind.

Post #: 89
RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora - 14/9/2012 1:05:35 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I got it from Amazon.  When I see the book it says 18 Oct 2012 next to it

(in reply to squeezyrider)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI