Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foreign films you watched recently

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 19/2/2012 3:14:30 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Jules et Jim (1962, Truffaut, 1st viewing) (Feb)

4/5

My first Truffaut!

I quite liked it, but I couldn't shake the near uncontrollable desire to viciously head-butt Catherine

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 19/2/2012 3:16:16 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 2491
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 1/3/2012 11:17:49 AM   
Gram123

Just two for me in Feb:

005) Outrage (Kitano Takeshi, Japan, 2010, BD) - 7.0
008) Ponyo (Miyazaki Hayao, Japan, 2008, Broadcast) - 6.5

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 2492
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/3/2012 3:10:08 PM   
flipper0

Farewell, My Concubine (1993) Kaige Chen

Something of an art house smash upon release this meandering epic holds up well enough, to a point. The episodic tale of two boys who become friends and later stage 'brothers' during training for the Peking Opera features superb performances (Li Gong is particularly wonderful as the high-class prostitute who drives a wedge between them), stunning cinematography and many gripping moments. Loses points, however, for its Forrest Gumpish need to spell out the various early-mid 20th Century Chinese historical events which the characters live through with clumsy dialogue "Oh no, its those damn students protesting again!" Still, enough good stuff to hold the attention for almost three hours, and the final moments have impact. 6

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 2493
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/3/2012 8:48:36 AM   
flipper0

Poetry (2010) Chang-dong Lee

Very moving if slightly overlong South Korean drama about an elderly woman diagnosed with Alzheimers, looking for meaning in her life by joining a poetry class while dealing with the aftermath of a terrible crime in which her grandson had a hand. Jeong-hie Yun is superb. 7/10

(in reply to flipper0)
Post #: 2494
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/3/2012 8:59:24 PM   
Saltire

I Saw The Devil (2010)

Korean flick about the (literal) hunt of a sadistic serial killer. Pretty brutal/gory in parts but it was also thoroughly enjoyable.

8/10

(in reply to flipper0)
Post #: 2495
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 17/3/2012 11:13:24 PM   
Saltire

Hana-Bi (1997)

The ever charismatic Takeshi Kitano stars in this introspective Japanese film about loss, recovery, bad choices and love. Its a weird, slow, yet wonderful film that is also hilarious in parts too. A gem of a film.

8/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2496
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 21/3/2012 12:08:13 AM   
Saltire

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Enjoyed this film but not as much as I though I would. Would've preferred more fantasy and less concentration on the realities of Franco's regime. When the fantasy world was going though there was some fantastic imagery, especially the monster with the eyeballs in his hands, he was amazing!

7/10

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2497
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 26/3/2012 10:14:22 PM   
MI Cruise

Battle Royale - 9/10
Dragon's Forever - 7/10
Naked Weapon - 5/10
Breaking News - 5/10
Battle Royale II: Requiem - 5/10

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2498
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 8/5/2012 10:44:10 PM   
TheGodfather

Intouchables
A beautiful and warm film, based on a true story, with lots of humor about a guy from a bad neighbourhood who, if he wants to keep his wellfare, has to start working as the personal assistent of a rich man who`s in a wheelchair. A weird combo but the two become good friends. The risk excists that this becomes a cliche very quick and the characters become charicatural. That is not the case here. These are "real" people with a great chemistry who get you involved in their lives.
Really enjoyed this, very much worth a watch.

8,8/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 2499
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/5/2012 12:14:21 PM   
Gram123

Flips. I just realised I didn't post my WC viewings for March and April, so I took a look back over the films I watched in those months, and found I'd seen zero non-English-language films in either month! 
It must be the first time that's happened in 5+ years. Really been neglecting my own DVDs and BDs in favour of rents, borrows and TV shows lately.

Back in March, I did see some a few non-Anglo shorts, but not mucho:

001) Geometría (Guillermo Del Toro, Mexico, 1987, Streamed)
002) Save Me (Muraoka Kouta, Japan, date unknown, Streamed)
003) Jacob's Lament (Stijn Windig & Ian Miller, Netherlands / UK, 2011, Streamed)
004) Robots (Stijn Windig, Netherlands, 2001, Streamed)

Post #: 2500
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/5/2012 3:12:49 PM   
rich

Pan's Labyrinth 5/5

Armour of God II 3/5

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2501
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/6/2012 11:22:14 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched today:

La Grande Illusion
Jean Renoir`s masterpiece is one of the best anti-war films I`ve ever seen. Inside the P.O.W. camp everybody is accepted for who he is without looking at one`s background. There even grows somewhat of a friendship between the captured French officers and the German commander (an excellent role by Erich von Stroheim). What if they`d met under different circumstances?
A beautiful humanistic piece of work in wich the always excellent Jean Gabin steals the show.

The Criterion dvd is spine #1 and is from 1999, the starting era of dvd. And it shows. There are a great number of heavily damaged scenes in it, the image flickers a lot and is at times very dark. It is, especially for such an old dvd, absolutetly watchable but I truly hope that Criterion releases this again sometime on blu-ray....

9,0/10

Post #: 2502
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/6/2012 11:13:36 PM   
TheGodfather

La Règle Du Jeu (The Rules Of The Game)
As a whole La Grande Illusion might be better but film technically speaking La Règle Du Jeu tops the bill. Renoir style, with a moving camera and long shots in wich everywhere in every shot something is going on (so in the background as well), comes to a climax here. In that area the whole film is a true joy. The story, a hard critique on the pre-war French upper class (that according to Renoir was "rotten to its core"), is good and contains wonderful dialogues.

The original version that Renoir released ran just over 90 minutes but after a financial and critical bad reception he re-edited it and it got reduced to 81 minutes. In 1959 it got re-edited, with Renoir`s approval, back to its original length wich turned out to be even longer than the first version: 106 minutes. That is the version we know to this day and the version that became an everlasting classic.
On the Criterion blu-ray there`s a supplement in wich the differences between the original 81 minute and the 106 minute version are shown, a very interesting piece. It would be awesome if someday we could see that 81 minute version as well. But I think and fear we all know better than to hope to see that version sometime...

9,0/10

Post #: 2503
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/6/2012 11:06:53 AM   
hozay

Fist of Fury 2 / 10
Indescribably bad with no redeeming features whatsoever. Overtly racist, terrible story, laughable acting and woeful directing.
I didn't realize Bruce Lee was such a bad actor, his acting is so hammy and dreadful that he comes across as a complete psycho in this rather than the hero he's supposed to be.
I rank his effort among the worst performances I've ever seen, possibly even the worst.
The only reason it gets two out of ten is because it gave me a laugh or two (even if unintended).

Arriety 7 / 10
Another fine effort from Ghibli. Not their best but even their mediocre efforts are worth my time.

Post #: 2504
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 26/6/2012 1:41:39 PM   
Spectator of Suicide

Benny's Video (1992)

Decent German drama about Benny's obsession with violent movies. 3/5.

Cargo (2009)

Swiss Sci Fi. Very claustrophobic. Alien, 2001, Moon and Outland fans will probably enjoy this. Streamed off Lovefilm. 4/5.

< Message edited by Spectator of Suicide -- 26/6/2012 1:42:38 PM >

http://letterboxd.com/nwarde/

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 2505
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 30/6/2012 4:59:33 PM   
Saltire

22 Bullets (2010)

5/10

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 2506
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/7/2012 10:21:55 AM   
Gram123

June:

032) Enthiran: The Robot aka Endhiran (S. Shankar, India, 2010, Broadcast) - 3.5 / 10

Considering the majority of my films are foreign language, I'm really having a blank year so far...
Jan - 2
Feb - 2
Mar - 4 (all shorts)
Apr - 0
May - 0
Jun - 1

Crikey.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2507
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 5/7/2012 12:19:00 AM   
Spectator of Suicide

26 mins in, okay so far.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2508
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 5/7/2012 12:56:04 AM   
Lazarus munkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectator of Suicide

26 mins in, okay so far.

Wonderful film.

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Spectator of Suicide)
Post #: 2509
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 5/7/2012 12:57:47 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Exceeded my expectations. An absolute joy of a film and a modern classic. 5/5

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 2510
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/7/2012 12:13:04 AM   
Spectator of Suicide

Stars a young Rutgr Hauer. Typical Verhoeven. 4/5.

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 2511
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 12/7/2012 11:03:12 PM   
TheGodfather

Quai des Orfèvres
Clouzot`s crime film places its audience, together with the leading character Maurice Martineau, in the shoes of "the chaser": you know that there was a crime and you`re almost sure of who has done it. But do you really? and are you sure you got the right one?
An interesting and fun film by Clouzot in wich we, at a certain point, get a good view of tunnel vision within the police system.
Not a great film by any means but it is worth a watch for sure...

6,5/10

Post #: 2512
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/7/2012 10:52:00 PM   
TheGodfather

And today I did an Ozu double bill:

Tôkyô Monogatari (Tokyo Story)
Ozu`s most known film but I had never seen it before, even though the dvd has been a part of my collection for years. Today I finally took the time to watch it.
It is, like all his work, a very slow-paced that deals with the universal and timeless problem of the generation gap. Without dissaproving any of his characters he shows the "problems" and frustrations on both sides. As a viewer you`ll probably pick a side but somehow you`ll sympathise with the other side.
With beautiful acting performances from a group of actors Ozu always used to work with (with Chishû Ryû leading them, who`s almost in every single one of Ozu`s films), he gives his audience a view into the Japanese (and probably universal) society, one that as sad as it is beautiful and gripping. It`ll remain in my head for a long time to come, I`m sure.
A film that truly deserves its status as one of Japan`s best and best known film and one that almost 60 years after its release feels as up-to-date- as it did at the time of release.

8,8/10

Ohayô (Good Morning)
A whole different kind of film is this remake of Ozu`s own 1932 silent masterpiece I was born, but...
It`s one of the most light-hearted Ozu films I`ve seen so far. Two young brother want their parents to buy a tv set for them, like their next-door friend has. They refuse to do so and so the two decide that they don`t talk to anyone (except each other) until they see their wish come true.
Once again the pace is very slow but the tone of the film is clearly lighter. The film even has a comical note to it. Again we get a look into Japanese working class and Ozu gives us a good portion of critique on consumer society.
It`s good to see this, at first sight, not so serious side of Ozu.

About the dating from 2000 Criterion dvd: how bad is that! not often have I seen such pale and washed out colours. It`s almost unviewable nowadays. I sure do hope that they upgrade this Technicolour work to blu-ray pretty soon...

7,2/10

Post #: 2513
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 15/7/2012 3:21:31 AM   
Coyleone

A Bittersweet Life
Wow, basically. Absolutely stunning film that I would have no problem ranking amongst my favourites ever. 9.5/10

Post #: 2514
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 28/7/2012 5:33:42 PM   
rich

Tiger on the Beat 4/5

Meanwhile...
Post #: 2515
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 30/7/2012 9:08:25 PM   
wblongworth

The most recent foreign film I watched was 'The Death Of Mr Lazarescu'.

It caught my attention after Film4 aired it repeatedly as their late night film, and I have to say they wrongly described it as a 'dark comedy'. However I could be missing some context, while other blogs tell me it is a satire of the Romanian health care system. Other than that it was a fantastic film that was unrelenting in providing a grim and jarring atmosphere.
I do notice that Empire does not have a review for this, am I being foolish or is this true and I may be forced to form my own opinion?

http://unionjacksandpaperbacks.tumblr.com/

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2516
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 31/7/2012 11:17:03 PM   
TheGodfather

Banshun (Late Spring)
Ozu regulars Chishû Ryû and Setsuko Hara this time play father, a widower, and daughter who still lives at home with her father.
She doesn`t really wanna leave the house to go live on her own but her father wants her to find a good man to get married to so that she can live a life of her own.

One of Ozu`s, especially in the second part, most gripping films. As with almost all of his films, here he again uses his specific style, storytelling wise as well as film technical wise: at first sight there doesn`t happen a whole lot but because of the often low-placed camera (almost on the floor, at the same hight where his characters are most of the time) Ozu places the viewer right in the middle of the daily lives of his characters. This makes us a part of the things they go through, we sympathise with them and slowly but surely this beautiful drama gets under your skin.

8,5/10

(in reply to wblongworth)
Post #: 2517
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/8/2012 12:48:17 AM   
rich

Akira 5/5
Steamboy 3/5

Meanwhile...

Post #: 2518
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/8/2012 1:43:10 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Akira 5/5

Totally worth that 5/5. Really need to watch this again.

Art

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2519
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/8/2012 12:22:14 PM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: wblongworth

The most recent foreign film I watched was 'The Death Of Mr Lazarescu'.

It caught my attention after Film4 aired it repeatedly as their late night film, and I have to say they wrongly described it as a 'dark comedy'. However I could be missing some context, while other blogs tell me it is a satire of the Romanian health care system. Other than that it was a fantastic film that was unrelenting in providing a grim and jarring atmosphere.
I do notice that Empire does not have a review for this, am I being foolish or is this true and I may be forced to form my own opinion?

Yep!

Empire review:
http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?DVDID=117416

(in reply to wblongworth)
Post #: 2520
Page:   <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  82 83 [84] 85 86   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI