Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foreign films you watched recently

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/8/2011 11:50:30 PM   
Saltire

Princess Mononoke 6/10
Howl's Moving Castle 9/10
Zatoichi   7/10

(in reply to ak1990)
Post #: 2461
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/10/2011 8:38:18 PM   
TheGodfather

Körkarlen (The Phantom Carriage)
The story tells the legend about the last person to die before the clock strikes midnight on newyear`s eve get`s to ride the titular Carriage and collect all souls from those who passed on.
It`s not only a horror film (although there certainly are spooky elements in it) but above all a human drama about atonement and forgiveness.

Thanks to the special effects, who might look dated today but we do need to remember that this film was made 90 years ago, and the way the story is told this Swedish silent film is well worth watching. It is told in 4 acts in wich the flashback stucture is regularly used.
In the lead role we see director Sjöström himself, who does act well although it sometimes (as we see more often in silent films than in talkies) it tends to go into overacting a bit too much.

In one of the extra`s Ingmar Bergman says that when he first saw the film "he was emotionally overwhelmed".
That wasn`t the case for me but I find this to be a very good film indeed.

8,5/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2462
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/10/2011 10:56:21 AM   
Gram123

Sept:

Sansho the Bailiff (Mizoguchi Kenji, Japan, 1954, DVD) - 7.5
Zatoichi #6: Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold  (Ikehiro Kazuo, Japan, 1964, DVD) - 7.0
Zatoichi #7: Zatoichi's Flashing Sword (Ikehiro Kazuo, Japan, 1964, DVD) - 6.0

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 2463
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 26/11/2011 6:36:31 PM   
Saltire

The Orphanage (2007)

A creepy Spanish film about the hunt for a boy who goes missing in an orphanage with a past. I found this quite gripping even though you know when the shocks are going to happen (why do directors insist on building up the music during tense scenes !?!); not too scary but was a bit unsettling in some scenes (reminded me of Kubrick's 1980 version of The Shining in the way it was shot). Fairly enjoyable...

7/10

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2464
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 27/11/2011 2:50:21 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

The Orphanage (2007)

A creepy Spanish film about the hunt for a boy who goes missing in an orphanage with a past. I found this quite gripping even though you know when the shocks are going to happen (why do directors insist on building up the music during tense scenes !?!); not too scary but was a bit unsettling in some scenes (reminded me of Kubrick's 1980 version of The Shining in the way it was shot). Fairly enjoyable...

7/10

I adore this film and definitely need to watch it again (for good measure!). Dark and disturbing but strangely beautiful. I will agree with you also in the connection to Kubrick's "The Shinning". Both are a must see!

Art

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2465
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 27/11/2011 9:47:55 AM   
_Adamski_

It's been mentioned already, but I recently watched Old Boy- superb! Why did it take me so long to get round to seeing this? Brilliant plot, neat little twist at the end and that corridor fight scene.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 2466
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 20/12/2011 9:34:07 PM   
TheGodfather

Trois Couleurs: Bleu (Three Colors - Blue)
When I saw Kieslowski`s Three Colors trilogy for the first time as a whole a few years back I found this to be the least of the three parts, didn`t really do it for me. But how the times have changed.
Kieslowski conducts a beautiful symphony of images and sounds that go perfectly together. From the very first scene they make a great couple and Kieslowski works towards a sublime climax. Juiliet Binoche is of course a very important part in the beauty of the film. She gives a brilliant performance as the woman who loses her husband and daughter in a car crash and tries to go without memories and love in her life.
From start to finish it was an amiable and engaging piece of work, my opinion after seeing this brilliant blu-ray has certainly been upped.

9,0/10

Trois Couleurs: Blanc (Three Colors: White)
The middle part and for me personally the least interesting part of the trilogy. It does contain a good portion of black humor and a little look into the Poland at the beginning of the `90s, right after the collapse of the Iron Curtain.
The downsides of the film are a) that it doesn`t have such a good and charming leading lady as the other two films and b) that it doesn`t have a real interesting story.
Not bad by any means, but the least interesting part of the bunch.

7,7/10

(in reply to _Adamski_)
Post #: 2467
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 22/12/2011 8:31:38 PM   
Chojin

Quite a nice little film that matches up to most Ghibli efforts. Likeable characters with an inevitable ending that still pulls at the heart strings when it happens.

4/5

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to ak1990)
Post #: 2468
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 23/12/2011 7:04:21 PM   
rich

Eastern Condors - Classic haven't seen it in ages, Sammo and Yuen Wah at their best 4/5

Dragon Tiger Gate - Despite some great action and interesting comic book style visuals, it's drags along and is too melodramatic 2/5

Fearless Hyena - One of Jackie Chan's first directorial efforts, it's got lots of fun stuff but is too much of a retread of Drunken Master 3/5

< Message edited by rich -- 23/12/2011 7:05:12 PM >

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 2469
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 23/12/2011 9:08:17 PM   
TheGodfather

Seen on wednesday:

Trois Couleurs: Rouge (Three Colors: Red)
Even if this hadn`t been a good film there still would`ve been one big reason to watch it: Irene Jacob. What a truly beautiful lady! Just like in The Double Life Of Veronique she is super beautiful and knows to get the attention drawn to her every scene again. Luckily she gives a great performance in the lead role, so there`s more than meets the eye.
Her beauty isn`t the only thing that the film leans on. It is a beautiful work that talks about themes like Destiny and Fate, and wheter or not that excists.
A brilliant closing to a sublime trilogy, I`d say this is the best of the lot.

9,3/10

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 2470
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/1/2012 9:53:42 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched tonight:

Il Gatto a Nove Code (The Cat O`Nine Tails)
I found this to be the least of all the Argento films that I`ve seen so far. Maybe it was because I went into it with the wrong expectations (I actually thought/hoped that I got to see something like Suspiria) but in fact I couldn`t really be bothered about most of it. The story didn`t grip me and expect for one scene (the one on the graveyard and in the tomb) I didn`t think was exciting or scary at all. On the upside: I do still love the POV shots that Argento uses.

7,0/10

(in reply to ak1990)
Post #: 2471
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 8/1/2012 10:10:16 PM   
TheGodfather

Lo squartatore di New York (The New York Ripper)
Shot on location in New York, this is the story of a serial killer who has set his mind on the beautiful young ladies in town.
This is the first film of Lucio Fulci that I`ve seen but after this I do crave more! A lot of the time it`s super intense, scary and very bloody. Combining this with the (for me at least) typical 70s atmosphere that Fulci creates in terms of camera work and musical score it reminded me at times of films like Dirty Harry and The French Connection in wich he shows he can keep a grip right up untill the end on his story and characters. Because the finale could`ve very easily become very cheesy but that isn`t the case. It gives it an extra dimension, one that turns a good film into a great one.

9,0/10

Post #: 2472
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/1/2012 1:51:51 PM   
mackey

Watched yesterday:

I Saw the Devil - Incredible!

The Skin I Live In - Engrossing but a tad disappointing. Will definitely be watching it again though.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

Post #: 2473
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 13/1/2012 11:03:40 PM   
Whistler

Seven Samurai - 9/10
Let The Right One in - 7/10

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 2474
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/1/2012 7:42:55 AM   
Chojin

Red Cliff: Special Edition (BR)

I really enjoyed this (nearly) 5 hour epic. I don't think it felt like filler whilst I was watching it, all of the down time seemed to make me care about the characters a lot more and the final battle was immense!

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 2475
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 15/1/2012 5:23:09 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Wings Of Desire.

Bored me senseless,even with the appearance of Columbo.

Devil's Backbone.

Seen it twice now,and I simply love this film.

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 15/1/2012 5:24:21 PM >

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 2476
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 15/1/2012 5:27:29 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Wings Of Desire.

Bored me senseless,even with the appearance of Columbo.

Devil's Backbone.

Seen it twice now,and I simply love this film.

The Devil's Backbone is amazeballs, such a good film and definitely in my top 5 of Del Toro flicks.

Art

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 2477
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/1/2012 11:28:33 AM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

Del Toro

looking for a spanish/mexican film that involves a lonely woman who villagers believe is a whitch.
The story also revolves around some kids,who are curious about the above mentioned woman.

Any help would be super

Post #: 2478
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/1/2012 5:06:53 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

Del Toro

looking for a spanish/mexican film that involves a lonely woman who villagers believe is a whitch.
The story also revolves around some kids,who are curious about the above mentioned woman.

Any help would be super

A few thoughts on films had initially sprung to mind here but none really matching that storyline to be honest. I guess that I've seen his most "established" films if you like and not sure if perhaps that may be a more obscure one. I had a wee search on Google but you may be more familiar with the story's description etc. so perhaps try searching for "Guillermo del Toro Filmography", at least that's what I always do when in doubt!

Hope this helps!

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 16/1/2012 5:07:12 PM >

Art

Post #: 2479
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/1/2012 5:28:13 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Del Toro

Any help would be super

You're not thinking of this are you?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460897/

It was one of six films made for the t.v. anthology series Films to Keep You Awake. They were shown on BBC2 a few years back.

Post #: 2480
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/1/2012 5:32:04 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

quote:

Del Toro

Any help would be super

A few thoughts on films had initially sprung to mind here but none really matching that storyline to be honest. I guess that I've seen his most "established" films if you like and not sure if perhaps that may be a more obscure one. I had a wee search on Google but you may be more familiar with the story's description etc. so perhaps try searching for "Guillermo del Toro Filmography", at least that's what I always do when in doubt!

Hope this helps!

Still searching...,I'll find it one day.

Thanks for the reply.

Post #: 2481
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/1/2012 5:41:09 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Del Toro

Any help would be super

You're not thinking of this are you?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460897/

It was one of six films made for the t.v. anthology series Films to Keep You Awake. They were shown on BBC2 a few years back.

That sounds alot like it.
I'll try to check it out,somehow haha. (you should check it out too,extremely creepy and sorrowful)
Cheers/thanks@rawlinson and NinjaShortBread212

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmi1Pb-7noM

< Message edited by DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT -- 16/1/2012 5:43:06 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2482
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/1/2012 5:58:04 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

You're welcome DARKO, I hope you find it.

Art

Post #: 2483
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/1/2012 11:58:57 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Last Week I watched one of my favourite and possibly one of the best comdies ever produced ie Diner De Cons/The Dinner Game.

So smart,sweet and funny.Your excruciating sympathies towards (RIP) Jacques Villeret bumbling character are tested to the limit,while your deslike for Thierry Lhermitte grows sympathetic in the remaining minutes.
Great film which was spoilled by a (typical) poor/awful Hollywood remake ie Dinner For Schmucks.

5/5

Post #: 2484
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/2/2012 10:41:31 AM   
Gram123

Jan 2012:

001) A Prophet (Jacques Audiard, France / Italy, 2009, BD) - 8.5
004) The Lady Hermit (Ho Meng Hua, Hong Kong, 1971, DVD) - 6.5

Gram123's Top Songs Project

Post #: 2485
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/2/2012 3:56:10 PM   
Hungrymark

Werckmeister Harmonies: I implore you, watch this film. Some of the most moving scenes I've ever watched.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 2486
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/2/2012 7:57:53 PM   
Cool Breeze

Watched JCVD last night.Jean Claude gave a (gasp!) terrific performance as himself.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Hungrymark)
Post #: 2487
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/2/2012 1:01:58 AM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Tin Tin Et Moi (documentary)
Arguably one of the best documentaries i've ever seen.The film captures the interview of Tin tin creater Herge and embarks on the road of his life as an Artist,his political struggles and his loss of friends coming and going.The film is full of emotion and substance that really does embrace it viewers of Herge's life,in struggles and rewards.5/5

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 14/2/2012 1:33:17 PM >

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 2488
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 15/2/2012 8:16:00 PM   
Pherlygwen

A Separation. Deserves all the praise its received and more. A very fascinating look into a, for me, unknown world. Brilliantly acted, totally chaotic at times, and very clever. Time flew by.

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 2489
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/2/2012 9:58:07 PM   
TheGodfather

Rundskop (Bullhead)
This year`s Belgian Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Language Film. A cattle farmer is approached to go into business with a trader. He gets involved with the hormones mafia. During a meet with these guys memories of a serious incident from his childhood come to the surface again.
A film that can count on a brilliant script in wich past and present and business and private matters are merged into one story in an ingenious way. A film that`s very atmospheric as well.
Matthias Schoenaerts gives a fantastic performance as the cattle farmer and carries the film without problems.
Personally I don`t think that it`ll win the Oscar but the sole fact that it is nominated gives this beautiful work the honor it so rightly deserves.

8,5/10

(in reply to Pherlygwen)
Post #: 2490
Page:   <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  81 82 [83] 84 85   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI