Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foreign films you watched recently

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 28/11/2005 2:37:33 PM   
Peppermint

A Very Long Engagement - 4/5

(in reply to meh...)
Post #: 151
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 28/11/2005 3:27:39 PM   
Geir

It's been a while since my last report..

Star Wreck: In the pirkinning - Surprisingly good and funny finnish parody on Star Trek and Babylon 5.

Turtles can fly - Very disturbing yet touching movie about children in an Iraqi village awaiting news on the American invasion.

Good bye, Lenin! - Good movie. The best moment was the look the mother gave his son at the end :)

The Edukators - It was OK. A bit unbelievable at times. Fortunately they chose the right ending, or it would've been much worse.

Pather Panchali, Aparajito and Apur Sansar (the Apu trilogy) - Wow, this is great stuff! Very interesting characters excellently executed which managed to evoke a range of emotions in me.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 152
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 28/11/2005 10:41:57 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Downfall - 5/5 - Stunningly brilliant.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Geir)
Post #: 153
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 28/11/2005 10:42:55 PM   
foz

Friend

A film that I'd put off watching for ages, purely because the praise surrounding it was so high that I didn't think it could live up to expectation.  What a silly sod I am for delaying watching what is one of the most stunning and moving films I have ever seen.  A (mostly true) look back at the growing up of four friends, it's what sepia was invented for.  An extraordinary story beautifully portrayed, and something that will stay with you long after the film has finished.  Incredible stuff.
5/5 without question.

(in reply to Geir)
Post #: 154
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 29/11/2005 12:24:39 AM   
Jasiri

Le Feu Follet
Taped this off BBC 4 the other night, it's about a man whose inability to connect with others and life had led him to alcoholism,we find him apparently cured after months in a clinic but he's unwilling or unable to leave the clinic and resume his life.He's resigned himself to commiting suicide but makes a last attempt to connect by visiting his former friends.
Great piece of film making,a simple story well told.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foz
Friend
A film that I'd put off watching for ages, purely because the praise surrounding it was so high that I didn't think it could live up to expectation.  What a silly sod I am for delaying watching what is one of the most stunning and moving films I have ever seen.

It doesn't matter how much this film is praised,no amount of praise can do it justice.You need to experience it to understand why those who've seen it rave about it so much.The sad thing is it seems that relatively few people over here have seen this exceptional film,it really deserves a wider audience.
Think I'm going to have to dig this out tommorow and have a watch it's been age since I last watched it.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 155
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 29/11/2005 12:01:49 PM   
pxbecko

3 Iron

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 156
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 30/11/2005 7:36:08 PM   
wiggle

A Bout De Souffle.  Wasn't blown away by it but I understand its importance.

(in reply to pxbecko)
Post #: 157
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/12/2005 3:22:08 PM   
Dignan

Night Watch

Everything's Impossible, 'till it ain't'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***
The Anniversary Party ***

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 158
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/12/2005 4:07:35 PM   
Jasiri

Was going to watch Friend last night but when I was looking through my dvd's I spotted All About Lily Chou Chou it's been a long time since I last watched this and I couldn't resist it.Got up this morning and couldn't get it out of my head but it put me in the mood to watch Swallowtail Butterfly,big mistake this double bill of Shunji Iwai has totally messed my head up and now I can't stop thinking about both of them.

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 159
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 4/12/2005 11:24:39 AM   
NadaPlissken

Toshiharu Ikeda's "Evil Dead Trap"  -  WAHAHAH!
Fulci's "The Beyond".  Better than his "masterpiece" Zombie Flesh Eaters as far as I'm concerned.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 160
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 5/12/2005 3:05:59 PM   
Peppermint

Ong Bak - Didn't see a lot of this one as the disc was faulty, but what I saw was excellent

Downfall - Got to agree with Gimli about this one.  Very impressive, with good use of the word 'parvenu'

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 161
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 5/12/2005 9:49:31 PM   
Cloud/Strife

Casshern - When the action comes, its out of this world, too bad there's not enough of it. Beautifully shot.

Tom Yum Goong - If you thought Tony Jaa was good in Ong-Bak, wait till you see this, too bad the story is really poor, but you will soon forget about that.

Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 162
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 5/12/2005 10:03:21 PM   
Squall Katsuragi

The Cat Returns - 4/5. Loved every minute of it!

(in reply to Cloud/Strife)
Post #: 163
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/12/2005 5:49:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Motorcycle Diaries - 4/5 - Beautifully shot, and very well acted. It loses a star because at times it feels rushed. I would have preferred it to be about a half hour longer.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Squall Katsuragi)
Post #: 164
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/12/2005 1:36:42 PM   
griet

My local library has a selection of BFI classics so am slowly making my way through them.
I thought I'd start with the Kurosawa's that I hadn't seen before :-
Yojimbo (good, but I knew the storyline from having seen the western remake, A Fistful of Dollars)
Sanjuro (better)
Throne of Blood (excellent)
Ikiru -- the nightclubs sequence was a tad too long, the second half was better, and the famous scene of him on the swing in the snow is very, very moving
What next I wonder?

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 165
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/12/2005 9:34:01 PM   
wiggle

Seven Samurai, but you've probably already seen that.

"I wish you were dead - no, I don't mean that. That was silly and unkind, and I shouldn't have said it. But I do wish you'd stop talking." Celia Johnson, Brief Encounter.

(in reply to griet)
Post #: 166
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/12/2005 4:28:16 PM   
yblehSdranoeL

Sky Blue - Korean anime that ticks all of the usual anime cliche boxes. Visually stunnning, it contains some of the best CGI I've ever seen. Backgrounds are all computer generated with 2D cell animation for the characters. While this looks nice, it has the effect of drawing you out of the story and I found it a little jarring at times. The plot is a mish-mash of ideas that we've seen before too many times already and events seem to take place just to give the animation team the chance to flex their creative muscles. I also found the characters to be poorly developed and their actions are rarely consistent. Overall, this was a real disappointment, as I expected much better from veiwing the trailer and reading the reviews. Worth catching for the amazing visuals, but far too flawed to work properly as a film for me.

Kung Fu Hustle - Just genius. The most fun I've had watching a movie all year. Like a live action Chuck Jones cartoon with martial arts and dance numbers. While some of the violence is just plain nasty, it is almost always utterly hilarious. On the whole the CGI is very good and the fight scenes are brilliantly choreographed. I cannot recommend this highly enough. I've just checked IMDb to see what Chow is up to next and was delighted to find out that he doing a sequel to this. Cannot fucking wait.

Okay, what am I doing?
I'm chasing this guy.
Nope. He's chasing me.

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 167
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/12/2005 7:05:43 PM   
foz

^
I'm surprised nobody's really bothered to bring Chow's extensive back-catalogue over here - Legend of the Dragon (also starring - and I kid you not - Jimmy "Whirlwind" White) should be a cert, and God of Cookery is just a bizarre masterpiece.  And hopefully Kung Fu Hustle II will amend the error of its predecessor by bringing back the bearded woman (unless I missed "her" in it, been a while since I saw it)...

Anyways, after watching Friend the other day, I simply had to check out Fun Movie again.  As with the other films parodied, it gets Friend absolutely spot-on and I can no longer watch the original without thinking about the bloody giant cigarette gag

< Message edited by Foz -- 7/12/2005 7:07:51 PM >

(in reply to yblehSdranoeL)
Post #: 168
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/12/2005 8:17:30 PM   
oui3d

Public Enemy... Out dirty Harry's Dirty Harry. (really is it's own creature)
Painted Faces... If you're going to drink the water, you should know the well from which it springs..
ONG BAK (40 mins of fidgeting, 1 hour swearing and wincing) 5th viewing introducing people to the
martial arts spectacle that is Tony Jaa.

No French, German, Spanish or Scandinavian film company is allowed to release a film in America. No British film company is allowed to release a film in America. And yet we allow America 100% access to our domestic market.

The best Star Wars film was directed by a 55 year old journeyman. Mental isn't it?

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 169
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/12/2005 11:20:59 AM   
Geir

Les Quatre cents coups - Enjoyed this one. My first Truffaut, hopefully not my last.

Vinterkyss - Not bad. A good directoral debut.

Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran - Still wonderful

(in reply to oui3d)
Post #: 170
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/12/2005 11:38:07 PM   
foz

Having a bit of a splurge on stuff I've watched before...

Just finished watching Attack the Gas Station!  for the bloodyillionth time, which means by default that I simply must watch Fun Movie again

(in reply to Geir)
Post #: 171
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/12/2005 5:22:29 PM   
Dignan

Finally watched Hero -  astounding - 5/5

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 172
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/12/2005 5:48:01 PM   
NadaPlissken

Shaolin vs. Evil Dead.  Sounds tasty doesn't it?  Really, do not bother.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 173
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/12/2005 6:36:29 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Amores Perros - 5/5 - First viewing -  I've read reviews that compared this to Pulp Fiction, Structurally its similar, but its a far more powerful,  much more engaging film, with characters that we care about.

Much more better!

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 174
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/12/2005 11:51:00 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmliefhebber

A tale of Two Sisters: 2 / 5. Boring (story) but nice camerawork.

It isn't boring at all, I suggest if you didn't understand what was going on, watch it for a second time, all becomes clear after a second viewing. It engaged me from start to finish!

(in reply to filmliefhebber)
Post #: 175
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/12/2005 9:25:02 AM   
Riotfug

Would it be smart to try one of the korean venders for Tale of Two Sisters?

(in reply to MuckyMuckMan)
Post #: 176
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/12/2005 1:28:55 PM   
foz

A Tale of Two Sisters is a fantastic drama that warrants multiple viewings in order to get a grip on events.  Those expecting a scary horror story will be disappointed, as it isn't one (to go into detail why would be to ruin the plot).

The Korean 2-disc special edition (probably no longer available) is a superb set, but a fair few of the good bits (most of which are unsubbed on the R3KR version) are available on the domestic PAL release anyway - certainly all the bits that fill in all the "what just happened?" bits of the story anyway.  And, as it's currently 8 quid in most places right now, it's a steal

(in reply to Riotfug)
Post #: 177
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/12/2005 2:02:22 PM   
Jasiri

Deadly Outlaw : Rekka

I had forgotten how similar the plot of this was to Agitator,it's basically just Agitator stripped to the bare bones and
Riki Takeuchi thrown in,it still works very well though and although Riki's acting ability may be limited you've got to love
the guy.
Despite the almost identical plot Miike keeps it fresh and Deadly Outlaw is a very differnt film we move away from the reality of Agitator into an increasingly exaggerated world.
Aside from Rikki there's the usual mixture of familiar faces from Miike's films and cameo roles for legends Sonny Chiba and Tetsuro Tamba.

Riotfug-As Foz said you're as well getting the R2 release of this now,that way all the deleted scenes,commentaries are subtitled and like Oldboy,play.com have it for £8.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 178
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/12/2005 2:31:19 PM   
DEF

Cinema Paradiso - Loved it, a very warm and enjoyable film. I would recomend it to anyone. I watched the Theatrical cut and will watch the Directors cut later to see if it makes the film any different. When you consider its got an extra 51 minutes of footage in it, it could make it very different.****1/2

SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - Come and join us!

SLASHER MOVIE BLU-RAY BLOG!

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 179
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 12/12/2005 3:40:01 PM   
Dignan

Followed Hero with House Of Flying Daggers - 4/5

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI