Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foreign films you watched recently

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 31/10/2005 11:36:14 PM   
mumblin sumpthin

Audition, which I watched last night on Channel 4. Not much going on for the first three quarters of the film and then out of nowhere bizarreness abounds...and the last half an hour is not for the faint hearted

"Oh fine! Let's just haul out our swords and start banging away at each other! That will solve everything!"

"Please don't interrupt me when I'm asking rhetorical questions."

"Death is...whimsical today"

(in reply to filmliefhebber)
Post #: 91
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/11/2005 3:39:34 PM   
Peppermint

I saw Ring 0 on DVD yesterday.  Thought it was alright - 3/5

(in reply to mumblin sumpthin)
Post #: 92
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/11/2005 5:50:48 PM   
Jim

Downfall - This film was okay. The scenes with Hitler were very interesting because it really tried to show him as a full person, rather than a one-dimensional monster like he's often portrayed. However, I thought the scenes without him in could drag a little and I found it boring at times. 3/5

Oldboy -
This is the second time I saw this film, and it was fantastic both times. Highly recommended. 5/5

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 93
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/11/2005 6:03:42 PM   
mccallf

Increased anglo-french relations and had a "french" film weekend without really intending to, probably something to do with walking into Blockbuster on a friday night and being confronted by masses of shelves of DVDs covers of films that I've seen before. But a question, why do staff have to warn you about the subtitles - like its a nasty little food scare? Can't people read?

Saw Crimson Rivers 1 (4/5) & 2 (2/5), how can you say no to Jean Reno??? Exactly!!! And I also saw The Nest, which was brilliant! I'll give it 5/5. The plot might come off a little contrived to a few, but the way the film draws you in towards the inevitable shootout (I find myself wondering how a building can stand up after being swis cheesed like that!) and the danger is superb. But you have to see this for the bad guys! They're like a swarm going in for a kill. Actually can i give it 6/5?

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 94
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 2/11/2005 6:26:59 PM   
HellBilly

Night Watch. Kicked ass, was funny and inventive. Bring on the sequel

(in reply to mccallf)
Post #: 95
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 3/11/2005 2:04:55 AM   
batrico

I watched Audition on Sunday on Channel 4.Liked the twisted little mf of a film.Will be getting the Dvd asap.

Watched "Temptress Moon" on Network 2(rte) last night twas ok.

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

(in reply to HellBilly)
Post #: 96
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/11/2005 10:52:22 AM   
filmliefhebber

Ong-Bak: I saw him now for the second time and I still like him very much. The actionscenes are fantastic and hilarious at the same time, nice soundtrack, ...

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 97
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/11/2005 3:14:42 PM   
Dave Novo

TESIS. (Thesis) Written & directed by Alejandro Amenabar of The Others fame, this was his first big screen film i think. It's a pretty creepy thriller with enough twists to keep you interested till the end.

Hostia Puta

Post #: 98
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 6/11/2005 10:49:44 PM   
rich

Dobermann - fairly stylish action film ,but little else going for it

Meanwhile...

Post #: 99
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/11/2005 11:15:17 PM   
Zatoichi

Oldboy

Don't you just love it when you haven't watched a film in quite a well and when you watch it again, it still kicks butt? I do.

When I watch this now, I have absolutely no problem with the way it ends. I accept that it is intentionally ambigious and then just think about it. After all, considering what a journey Park Chan-wook has just taken me on, that is what this film deserves.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 100
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/11/2005 11:46:18 PM   
batrico

Infernal Affairs Sunday Night Film four.Fourth time ive seen it still a great film.Need to get the third one still to complete the trilogy.

"I aim to misbehave"

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 101
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 7/11/2005 11:48:37 PM   
batrico

I also watched A Tale of Two Sisters on Film Four(good free weekend it was)on Saturday.A creepy film which I liked very much.

"I aim to misbehave"

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 102
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 8/11/2005 12:31:16 AM   
DEF

Infernal Affairs 2 - Very cool, I think I like the first more but still a nice expantion on the plot. I didnt think it was quite as stylish cinematography wise either which is a shame. I can definately see the comparisons to the Godfather. ***3/4

Ong Bak - Second viewing, still awesome. ****

SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - Come and join us!

SLASHER MOVIE BLU-RAY BLOG!

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 103
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 8/11/2005 5:31:13 PM   
filmliefhebber

Infernal Affairs II: a fantastic sequel. It start slow but after a while it's explode like a splinterbomb. Cool, super soundtrack, visual wonderful,....

quote: 5 / 5

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 104
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/11/2005 3:58:02 PM   
Peppermint

Run Lola Run
Amores Perros
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Count Of Monte Cristo
Les Amants Du Pont Neuf
A Tale Of Two Sisters

(in reply to Dave Novo)
Post #: 105
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/11/2005 4:11:52 PM   
Zatoichi

I watched Sympathy For Mr. Vengeance last night and enjoyed it more than I did last time. I still don't think it's nearly as good as Oldboy, but I understood a lot more of it this time and it ends brilliantly.

8/10

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 106
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/11/2005 7:23:02 PM   
foz

Got a nice box from Korea today, containing
The Foul King
Friend
Kick the Moon
and my very own copy (only had a mate's edited HK version before) of Three... Monster
Will probably watch Foul King tonight, the rest at the weekend.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 107
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/11/2005 7:49:35 PM   
Jasiri

Let us know what you think of them,I'm definitely interested in Foul King.Is Kick the Moon from the director of Attack the Gas Station ? can't think of his name,sure I read that somewhere though.
As for Friend it's absolutely brilliant,one of my favourite films.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 108
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/11/2005 11:28:35 PM   
foz

Foul King was ace.
Not for everyone, but like Save the Green Planet, those that like it will love it.

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 109
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/11/2005 5:29:27 PM   
emily1212

Gegen die Wand - Excellent film.  I can't praise it enough. 5/5

Just the eight pints for me last night, then. Oh, no! "Team leader and boss in drunken night out." Shock! horror! Going out with Oggy tomorrow night, then. That'll be be a quiet night in at the library... not!

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 110
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/11/2005 9:43:42 PM   
Jasiri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foz

Foul King was ace.
Not for everyone, but like Save the Green Planet, those that like it will love it.

Good enough for me,although Green Planet is not something I would have expected comparison with,I'm even more intrigued now.

Onibaba-Excellent cinematography and an interesting storyline about darker aspects of human behaviour.

My Sassy Girl
-Finally gave in and watched this and was pleasently surprised,I've had friends and my wife telling me for ages about how I should watch it but when I hear the words romantic comedy it makes me want to run.So after another ear bashing I agreed to take it home and watch it fully expecting to fall asleep after about 10 minutes but it's a very funny film and kept my attention for the whole 2 plus hours.The two leads which basically carry the whole film are brilliant the long suffering Gyeon-Woo and the totaly nuts Girl.
The only downside was the subtitles,which are incredibly annoying at first due to it having the characters name who's speaking before almost every sentence,it did become less noticable as the film went on though.There are also lots of subtitles describing what's happening as well which were pretty funny themselves at times,my favourite of these scenes was Girl feeling like vomiting....She swallows it at a gulp.....Gyeon-Woo's digusted.

< Message edited by Jasiri -- 10/11/2005 9:46:49 PM >

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 111
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/11/2005 10:44:11 PM   
foz

To be fair, it sums up the scene pretty well :)

My Sassy Girl is just superb - a film where pretty much everyone who's ever seen it has been of the "I didn't think it'd appeal to me, but when I finally got round to watching it...".  Consistently funny, and providing the remake doesn't try to be some sort of Bridget Jones wannabe thingy, it's going to clean up.  It'll be interesting to see if they keep in the Korean director's obsession with sick, anyway
The subtitles are distracting, but they're infinitely preferable to subs that are just plain bad - the R3HK of Dead Or Alive: Final even subs the English dialogue badly, so the Cantonese and Japanese speech never stood a chance and, as a more recent example, I'm fairly sure that every 2nd word in R-Point isn't (as the somewhat feisty subtitler* seems to imply)  fuck...

*Or, in the interests of gender balance, subtitlette

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 112
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/11/2005 11:18:55 AM   
filmliefhebber

Kung Fu Hustle: Nice entertainment. Not super (Shaolin Soccer is beter). I'm glad I saw the film today, but I'll forget him very fast. It's not really an unforgettable film.

quote: 3 / 5

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 113
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/11/2005 11:20:52 AM   
filmliefhebber

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Novo

TESIS. (Thesis) Written & directed by Alejandro Amenabar of The Others fame, this was his first big screen film i think. It's a pretty creepy thriller with enough twists to keep you interested till the end.

The first half of the film is creepy. The second half becomes a little bit too predictable to stay creepy enough.

(in reply to Dave Novo)
Post #: 114
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/11/2005 6:27:46 PM   
foz

Last night, a second viewing of Three...Monster/Extreme, although the first time on Korean disc (watched it on HK before, and that one was 10 mins shorter).
Takashi Miike's Box is a creepy slice of freakshow Victoriana that has very vague echoes of the ghosty work of Hideo Nakata and Kiyoshi Kurosawa.  Very nice to look at, but a bit "eh?" as far as the story goes.
Park Chan-Wook's Cut is a very stylish revenge piece (which also features his other fascination: Vampires.) with a small cast of pretty recognisable faces.  Odd but compelling.
Fruit Chan's Dumplings is the pick of the bunch, although it suffers a bit here for being truncated in order to fit into this compilation (there's a full feature version of this on R3 DVD, highly recommended).  Great Tales of the Unexpected malarkey featuring scenes which will ensure that you never eat eggs again.

Post #: 115
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/11/2005 8:19:52 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmliefhebber

Infernal Affairs II: a fantastic sequel. It start slow but after a while it's explode like a splinterbomb. Cool, super soundtrack, visual wonderful,....

quote: 5 / 5

Agreed.

Meanwhile...

Post #: 116
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 12/11/2005 1:23:31 AM   
Jim

A Bittersweet Life - I enjoyed this. My friend described it to me as an action film, but I wouldn't say that was totally accurate. Yeah, there's a lot of fights, guns and blood in it, but the ending puts a different slant on it all; it's quite a sad film, really. It's an intelligent action film, if anything. Anyway, good film worth watching. Very stylish in a lot of parts, too. 4/5

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 117
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 13/11/2005 10:23:53 PM   
Indio

Goodbye Lenin!

It was o.k., but not exactly hilarious, the main premise was stretched out too long. Could have done with 10 minutes lopped off the running time. 6/10

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 118
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/11/2005 9:18:50 AM   
belluccisbra

Dull, dull, dull proof that the asiextreme bubble has well and truely burst. 2/5

Exterminate all rational thought

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 119
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/11/2005 1:36:36 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: belluccisbra

Dull, dull, dull proof that the asiextreme bubble has well and truely burst. 2/5

To be honest, it burst a long time ago...
Still - it'll get a decent swansong over here.  Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Kairo (known as Pulse over here) is finally getting a release over here!  It's a bit odd in places (well alright then, all of it), and the ending smacks of "there should have been a lot more stuff here, but we spent all the money on the CG plane", but as an excercise in tension, terror and sheer OMG!ness (the tower scene is just astounding in its effectiveness to make viewers' eyes pop out), it's at the very top of what J-Horror used to be before every sodding film was about another possessed inanimate object.  Trust me, just as Audition had people coiling from kiri kiri kiri, Kairo will have skin crawling every time the word tasukete is whispered.  It may be a bit too different for many thrill-seekers' tastes (it's a rather sad tale of loneliness), and its position at the very vanguard of Asian horror has been lessened by the sheer overwhelming amont of crap that will stick to it by association, but it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible.

Delayed for ages because Disney bought it & blocked it (they had Wes Craven remaking it at one point before canning it), and then delayed again when feardotcom nicked its premise and made one of the worst films ever from it, it's long-overdue and more than welcome.  In fact I'm off to watch the Japanese directors' cut (first DVD I ever bought from Japan) right now.

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI