Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foreign films you watched recently

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 18/10/2005 4:50:58 PM   
trussedfund

Just bought the recently released Criterion edition of Harakiri (1962) to add to my ever growing collection of black and white samurai films. 

A seriously great film.  If you like that kind of thing buy it!  

They made King Kong didnt they? A film about a giant monkey trying to force himself on a very small woman but when I submit a script about a man played by me, who tries to force himself on a very small monkey, they said audiences would find it distasteful

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 61
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 18/10/2005 9:06:14 PM   
Dignan

Now I've just watched the 1979 film of Nosferatu

Everything's Impossible, 'till it ain't'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***
The Anniversary Party ***

(in reply to trussedfund)
Post #: 62
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 19/10/2005 1:22:18 AM   
DEF

The Seventh Seal - Absolutley freaking amazing! Its masterfully made with really interesting Script and Cinematography, it doesn't seem to have aged a day. The theme of the fear death, I guess will be around as long as humans exist. I have not seen any Ingmar Bergman before this and it sure as hell won't be my last. Its really horrific in places and yet really warm in others. I recomend this for any one who hasn't seen it, a truely wonderful film! *****

SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - Come and join us!

SLASHER MOVIE BLU-RAY BLOG!

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 63
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 20/10/2005 10:57:35 AM   
jackassfan

Keys To The House  (Le Chiavi di casa) 9/10
Y Tu Mama Tambien 9/10
Bombon El Perro 8/10
The Roads To Koktebel 8/10

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 64
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 20/10/2005 11:04:19 AM   
livila

Downfall.....it was excellant. Horrifying and moving in ways I never expected. Beautifully shot - very realistic and totally brutal in some parts.

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 65
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 20/10/2005 11:48:25 AM   
belluccisbra

4/5 go and see it

Exterminate all rational thought

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 66
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 20/10/2005 1:54:58 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: belluccisbra

4/5 go and see it

I agree.
Watched it again for the first time in years the other week (if you've not watched it with the commentary track on, then do so immediately - Bey Logan and Mike Leeder are on sparkling - if possibly inebriated - form, even if they don't talk much about the film in question), and although its faults* are glaring, it's no less charming for them.  Sheer topness, and derserving of its status of being at the very forefront of the current wave of Korean Cinema.  And its lampooning in the hillarious Fun Movie is one of the film's highlights :)

* The biggest fault is continuity - the story is based on Korea's biggest-selling comicbook, and so the director has taken a couple of liberties with the small budget that he had to work with.  The biggest liberty being a massive chunk of the comic's plot (from where our hero supposedly dies to where he reappears alonside the coolest group of black-clad warriors ever to grace a cinema screen) simply wasn't filmed, as it was mostly talky stuff and as everyone in Korea who went to see the film knows what happened in the meantime, nobody could be arsed filming it (unlike other Korean films of the time hacked away at by distributors not wanting a bit of chat getting in the way of the action such as Nowhere to Hide, Volcano High or Musa, the version we have here is actually a few minutes longer than the theatrical original).  It's a rather disconcerting leap in the narrative, and may leave the viewer thinking that he/she may have inadvertantly dropped off for half an hour.
The other one is a budgetary issue.  The beautifully natural sets (filmed for the most part in China) make up for a huge amount of the financial constraints, but a German Shepherd painted blue (they didn't even have enough paint to do the whole dog) does NOT = a Wolf by any stretch of the imagination

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 67
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 23/10/2005 7:23:59 AM   
Luolan

I've been going through the Chow Yun Fat back catalogue and enjoying all three A Better Tomorrow's over again, along with all three God of Gamblers'. The man can act! and he was haokan in his day (he's still quite handsome).

Also re-living some of Leslie Cheung's finer moments: Farewell My Concubine and Days of Being Wild.
Why, Leslie, why???? 

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 68
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 24/10/2005 9:46:41 AM   
Geir

I've had Lagaan on my shelf for several month, but now I have finally seen it. And I loved it!

Small spoilers below:
The songs were fun and moving, especially the first one when they thought it would rain, and the one where Bhuvan declared his love to Gauri (I'm a bit of a romantic..). Gauri was incredibly beautiful and had an amazing screen precence! I had trouble reading the subtitles whenever she flashed her smile And the way Bhuvan managed to gather the village and even include the impure Kachra was great.

The cricket match was also very exiting, one of the best if not the best sport climax I have seen.

A lot of other great characters and performances also, like Guran and the Russell's.

A very fun and moving film, definately a keeper.

(in reply to Luolan)
Post #: 69
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 24/10/2005 9:55:20 AM   
bionic_pigeon

I watched this Japanese film called Hellish Love. It was a ghost story just over an hour long, but pretty good. Lots of shagging in it too, so I was kept a happy chappy.

(in reply to Geir)
Post #: 70
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 24/10/2005 11:45:52 PM   
foz

Pre-ordering the R1 DVD of Final Fantasy: Advent Children got me in the mood for watching the Japanese version again, so that's what I did.  And talking about Dead or Alive 3: Final put in the mood for watching that as well, so I did that too.  I also mentioned Andromedia in the same thread, but fortunately I didn't dig that particularly off Miike Takashi effort* out.  Although I'll probably have to watch it tomorrow, just to refresh my memory as to why I keep avoiding it.

*For those unfamiliar with this particular cinematic "gem", here's the skinny.  It's 1998, and Miike had just released his most celebrated and "grown-up" film to date (Bird People in China, one of his best), and had a bit of time on his hands before starting work on Blues Harp.  At about the same time, the management of 2 supremely average Japanese idol bands (the all-girl Speed and the all-boy Da Pump) decided that they wanted to put their product out to a mass audience, and decided to make a movie with them as the stars.  What happened next is a bit of a mystery to all and sundry (especially the bit where they get master lush/cinematographer Christopher Doyle to appear in it), but somehow Miike ends up making Andromedia, a simple tale of airbrushedly-attractive pop folk, one of whom gets killed right at the start of the film and becomes an A.I. entity on a laptop thanks to her scientist/boffin dad.  Not quite Spiceworld, but not that far off either.

(in reply to bionic_pigeon)
Post #: 71
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/10/2005 12:21:44 PM   
wabker

I recently watched a very long engagement, beautiful film however not better than amelie but great directing by Jean-Pierre Jeunet once again!
Just wondering which should i rather buy on DVD Howl's moving castle or Spirited Away??
Thank you

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 72
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/10/2005 12:41:36 PM   
foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: wabker

Just wondering which should i rather buy on DVD Howl's moving castle or Spirited Away??
Thank you

The only place where Howl's is currently legitimately available for pre-order is Japan (out November 16), and it's not cheap.  Unless you're looking to buy a cinema-filmed bootleg before than, I'd get Spirited Away now and wait a couple of months for the HK Region 3 version to be released.  The PAL R2 version will be a loooong way away.

(in reply to wabker)
Post #: 73
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/10/2005 1:24:51 PM   
SEENOEVIL

Arahan:
Another thoroughly enjoyable 'popcorn' film. I kind of feel that this film has been 'missold' to people, coming on the back of 'Kung Fu Hustle', it was advertised as a laugh-a-minute comedy, which it most certainly is not.

Yes, it has its laugh out loud moments, but is in no way, shape or form a 'COMEDY' and is very unfair to compair it to anything done by Stephen Chow. I suppose that a better comparrison would have been 'Police Story' (or any number of Jackie Chan films), but with fantasy elements.

Only real gripe with the film itself is (and I never thought I'd see the day where I would say this) the final fight scene went on a little too long. However, on the whole, it was enjoyable enough. I'm never going to include it in any 'Top Ten' soon, but if you are after a light hearted film that has some good action, then you could do far worse.

< Message edited by SEENOEVIL -- 25/10/2005 1:26:46 PM >

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 74
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/10/2005 4:51:36 PM   
Black Tulip

Last foreign film I saw was "Ma Vie en Rose", which I love!!!

Everyone should see it!!

(in reply to SEENOEVIL)
Post #: 75
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/10/2005 4:53:09 PM   
Godzilla

quote:

Only real gripe with the film itself is (and I never thought I'd see the day where I would say this) the final fight scene went on a little too long.

It is very long but really enjoyable. I loved the bit at the start where she is jumping the buildings.

I recently watched:

Kung Fu Hustle - Absolutely fantastic, great effects, very funny and the fight scenes are brilliant. 4.5/5

Old Boy - A stunning twist, great central performance and the corridor fight is breathtaking. 5/5

Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig,
Does whatever a Spider-Pig does,
Lookout,
He is the Spider-Pig!

(in reply to SEENOEVIL)
Post #: 76
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/10/2005 6:42:13 PM   
Jasiri

A Bittersweet Life-Kim Ji-Woon  -Really enjoyed this,great looking film with lots of action and a couple of moments of brilliant black humour with the worst arms dealers you've ever seen.

Samaritan Girl-Kim Ki-Duk  -Another very good film from Kim Ki-Duk,I found it really sad and disturbing at times,again he goes for a subject that few would  tackle,this time two schoolgirls who are involved in prostitution but of course it goes much deeper than the surface story.

(in reply to Godzilla)
Post #: 77
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 25/10/2005 6:44:18 PM   
DanielFullard

Jean De Florette One of my Favourite films of all time.....if you havent seen it you need too

(in reply to Jasiri)
Post #: 78
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 26/10/2005 2:29:20 PM   
wiggle

Just watched "The Idiots" by Lars Von Trier.  Bloody brilliant, that's all I can say.  Some hugely, hugely suspenseful scenes.   

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 79
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 26/10/2005 3:06:31 PM   
SEENOEVIL

Avenging Fist.:

Ok, so I know plenty of people that slate this film, but hey, they also say that Jackie Chan is boring ans that Sammo Hung is too fat to be doing what he does. Idiots, the lot of them.
This is just a fun movie. Its not big, its not clever, it doesn't profess to change your way of life, it is just entertainment for 90 minutes (which is more than I can say for the Arsenal at the moment).

Andrew Lau (Stormriders, The Duel) does a good enough job in keeping the interest. Sammo is as good as ever, some nice visuals to keep it looking pretty. As per usual with such films, the story is a bit pish, the usual suspects are covered, Family, Honour, yadda yadda yadda. However, do we really watch these films for their story? Its like watching 'Die Hard' for its Social Statement. Rubbish, you watch 'Die Hard' to see Bruce Willis kick ass and blow stuff up. FACT.

All in all, a film that will get dragged out anytime I can't be bothered to sit through 2 hours and 20 minutes of 'Casshern'. Good stuff, but not a classic.

Brechdan gaws, os gwelwch yn dda.

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 80
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 27/10/2005 1:01:03 PM   
wabker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foz

quote:

ORIGINAL: wabker

Thank you

The only place where Howl's is currently legitimately available for pre-order is Japan (out November 16), and it's not cheap.  Unless you're looking to buy a cinema-filmed bootleg before than, I'd get Spirited Away now and wait a couple of months for the HK Region 3 version to be released.  The PAL R2 version will be a loooong way away.

thank you for the info guess its spirited away then but if its crap ........but im sure it wont be with all the reviews

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 81
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 27/10/2005 2:34:16 PM   
DanielFullard

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiggle

Just watched "The Idiots" by Lars Von Trier.  Bloody brilliant, that's all I can say.  Some hugely, hugely suspenseful scenes.   

Yeh Im a fan of this film....its not something Id like to sit and watch with my family but its definetly worth seeing. At first I didnt know quite what to make of it but as it went on I found myself really enjoying it. Disturbing, Distasteful and Disgusting in places but a Damn Delightful watch

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 82
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 27/10/2005 3:02:56 PM   
nomimalone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E
I would also like to see The Vanishing, the original version, has anyone seen it?

I've seen the original Vanishing, used to have it on video, it's very good, genuinely creepy in a way that the awful remake just couldn't manage.

(in reply to Mr E)
Post #: 83
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 27/10/2005 10:46:31 PM   
wabker

yup just finished watching whale rider
pleasantly surprised at the film. Nice laid back film that deals with the old traditions of the Maori tribes. definitely recommend to ppl .
the music and the scenery are amazing!!

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 84
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 28/10/2005 6:55:56 PM   
Fred West

Im not scared
Old Boy
Le diner de con
Switchblade romance
Maitresse

(in reply to wabker)
Post #: 85
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 29/10/2005 1:11:14 PM   
The Waco Kid

recently watched this

very moving film.
not much talking in it.
centres around the relationship between a buddhist monk and his protogee.
a slight understanding of Buddhism maybe required to watch this. 

< Message edited by The Waco Kid -- 29/10/2005 1:16:58 PM >

(in reply to Fred West)
Post #: 86
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 29/10/2005 1:22:23 PM   
Deadly_Little_Miho

After watching Crouching Tiger... over the weekend, I re-watched Hero and House of Flying Daggers - both of course, brilliant, but this time I found I actually preferred 'Daggers.

Took a 2 Day trip to France and whilst there bought Delicatessen and Nikita, haven't seen either yet, but expecting good things.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, but hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish... And his wife!"

(in reply to Fred West)
Post #: 87
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 29/10/2005 4:28:27 PM   
lixqwerty

Just watched Ichi the Killer. I had low expectations after my friends slated it called it 'overated' and 'cut'. But, man, I was blown away, this was a truly, fantastically, gut-wrenching experience and wildy entertaining. I have a feeling I wil be watching this one again some time. I can understand the critisms of it, saying that its a pointless exercise in taboo-busting, I can see where those people are coming from but I found it an amazingly confident and distinctive film that pushes back boundaries and does things you would never expect. Top storyline too!

(in reply to trussedfund)
Post #: 88
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 29/10/2005 6:51:36 PM   
filmliefhebber

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiggle

It's a typical Von Trier-film. I find the end very hard to see and a lot of people should find it too controversial, I think. Which other films from Von Trier have you seen ?

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 89
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 31/10/2005 11:06:08 AM   
filmliefhebber

Fine film: nice characters, bloody action, fantastic camerawork: pure entertainment!!

quote: 4/5

(in reply to filmliefhebber)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI