Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foreign films you watched recently

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/10/2005 3:47:55 PM   
Heriberto

The spectacular Casshern, a real treat for eyes and ears. Just astounding.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 31
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 9/10/2005 11:55:36 PM   
The2ndRing

Watched Haute Tension/Switchblade Romance recently, pretty good, massive plot holes but apart from that great fun!

Lola Rennt/Run Lola Run:  Excellent film, but then we all knew that already!!

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to Heriberto)
Post #: 32
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 10/10/2005 12:59:33 AM   
DEF

Ong Bak - Loved it as you might suspect. I feal really sorry for the stunt team, Tony Jaa kicks the fuck out of them. Luckily this makes the Muai Tai look amazing, I'm really looking forward to Tony's next film, which by the trailer looks great too. ****

The Happiness of the Katakuris -
Again really enjoyable. Miike is clearly a master director. I don't always enjoy his harsher films but they ALWAYS seem to clearly show his skill off 100%. ****

SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - Come and join us!

SLASHER MOVIE BLU-RAY BLOG!

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 33
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/10/2005 3:32:42 PM   
dp99

Restless Natives - some people probably need subtitles to understand!!

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 34
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/10/2005 8:48:19 PM   
Dignan

Just watched the Japanese Dark Water - bit odd at the end but quite good.

< Message edited by Dignan -- 11/10/2005 8:49:07 PM >

Everything's Impossible, 'till it ain't'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***
The Anniversary Party ***

(in reply to dp99)
Post #: 35
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 11/10/2005 9:01:24 PM   
Scruffybobby

Just watched Irreversible.

Almost unwatchable but  compulsive viewing. This is not something to be enjoyed but endured.

It's a film you need only see once, but one you need to see 

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 36
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 12/10/2005 9:10:39 AM   
LB

The Devil's Backbone

Very entertaining, also beautiful and stylish.  It's worlds away from the likes of `Blade 2` and `Hellboy`, and just goes to show the old addage that when a foreign director switches to making hollywood movies, they will never make a personal best again.

The best foreign film I've seen this year.

Esta muy bueno

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 37
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 12/10/2005 1:27:32 PM   
DEF

Heat After Dark - Ryuhei Kitamura's first film which went straight to video in Japan with its 45min running time. Really enjoyed this the cinematography particualry took me by supprise, very well shot. A good first effort that remined me alot of Tarantino. At such a short running time it did'nt feel stretched out which is nice because it doesn't have the most complex plot of all time. ***1/2

Down To Hell - Kitamura's second film and the prequal to Versus. Unlike the above film the cinematography is not nearly in its league but it has the same kind of energy in its edit that makes Versus so appealing. Its not really a prequal, more of a film set in the same woods as Versus. Alot of people consider Versus to be the Japanese Bad Taste but I think Down To Hell deserves this title much more; with its uber gore and fun narative. A very enjoyable short film (its also 45 mins), it looks abit studenty because it was shot on such a low budget. But it really is a fun film to watch when you get past that. If your a fan of Kitamura you'l love it. ****

SLASHER MOVIE FAN CLUB - Come and join us!

SLASHER MOVIE BLU-RAY BLOG!

(in reply to LB)
Post #: 38
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 12/10/2005 9:01:46 PM   
foz

Currently watching Fun Movie - will do a review thingy later on.  Quite simply the silliest Asian film I have ever seen...

(in reply to DEF)
Post #: 39
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 12/10/2005 11:20:29 PM   
Dignan

Just watched The Motorcycle Diaries - a very good and inspiring film.

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 40
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 13/10/2005 1:23:38 AM   
durelius

Ong Bak
Infernal Affairs
Casshern
Three Colours White

I'm not going to nuke the dog!

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 41
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 13/10/2005 4:46:05 PM   
filmliefhebber

Blood and Bones with a impressive Takeshi Kitano as a man who knows only greed and violence. The film contains more than one shocking moment.

quote: * * * * / * * * * *

(in reply to durelius)
Post #: 42
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 13/10/2005 11:36:11 PM   
Bruce Wayne

I was subjected to watch the 80's version of the awful Metropolis.

(in reply to filmliefhebber)
Post #: 43
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/10/2005 12:24:33 AM   
koreanjase

Have to agree with on My Sassy Girl.... Certainly one of the finest romantic comedy to be made in the last decade... Like you I didnt expect much, which made the result even more refreshing and memorable. If you havent already I recommend you see 'Windstruck', which is the prequel to My Sassy Girl. Although most people loathed it, I found it as hilarious as its original... Admittedly it didnt have quite the same impact, but nevertheless, I strongly advice you to get it......

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 44
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/10/2005 1:14:20 AM   
Dignan

Now i've just watched the bonkers french film 'Brotherhood of the Wolf'

Last 5
United 93 *****
The Last Kiss ***
Children of men ****
Fast Sofa ***

(in reply to koreanjase)
Post #: 45
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/10/2005 10:33:03 AM   
penny_lane

I watched A Very Long Engagement and Downfall most recently. Thoroughly enjoyed both - excellent films.

What she needs is a guy that'd take a sock at her once a day, whether it's coming to her or not. If you had half the brains you're supposed to have, you'd done it yourself, long ago.

(in reply to Dignan)
Post #: 46
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/10/2005 3:13:05 PM   
sugarplum_fairy

I recently watched the dvd of 'L'Auberge Espagnole' before going to see its sequel 'Les Poupées Russes' at the cinema...and subsequently bumped into the lead actor Romain Duris when wandering around one sunday afternoon near a friend's house.

They are really enjoyable films, a bit like a sort of French Love Actually, with lots of different stories (though there is one overall main character) and they go absolutely crazy for them here! If you fancy a bit of European lighthearted rom com/coming of age film, I definately recommend them!

(in reply to penny_lane)
Post #: 47
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 14/10/2005 8:20:52 PM   
lixqwerty

Bad Education- one of the most peculiar films I have ever watched and something I was totally unprepared for, even having seen some of Almodovars back catalogue. But it certainly made and impression and I'm glad I made the effort to sit through it. All the usual Almodovar style is present and there are some excellent perormances from all the cast. The storyline will put some people off and many of my friends were unable to watch it through, they didn't even get to the disturbing moon river scene. But if you want to watch something new and different and something which will make you think about things from a different point of view (who doesn't) then I would recommend it.

I've also recently seen Chungking Express and The Idiots, Chungking Express is a nice little film (or should I say two films) which is a lot easier to digest than some of Wong Kar-Wai's other films and comes with a strong recommendation. The Idiots I wasn't so sure about, I respect what Von Trier was trying to do but after reading the Dogme 95' Manifesto I thought he just came across as an arrogant berk and after watching the film I wondered what the point of all these rules if the films they produce are unentertaining and unaestetically pleasing cinema which provokes no rection other than total and utter tedium. Maybe I should watch Breaking The Waves and Dancer In The Dark before being to judgemental.

< Message edited by lixqwerty -- 14/10/2005 8:22:08 PM >

(in reply to Heriberto)
Post #: 48
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 15/10/2005 3:49:12 PM   
Mr E

Recently watched Switchblade Romance which was a good bit of gory fun. I,ve also just finshed watching Lars Von Triers The Kingdom 1 and 2. It was absolutely brilliant. As good as Twin Peaks.
I would also like to see The Vanishing, the original version, has anyone seen it?

(in reply to lixqwerty)
Post #: 49
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 15/10/2005 8:00:12 PM   
Aretak

quote:

ORIGINAL: The2ndRing

Watched Haute Tension/Switchblade Romance recently, pretty good, massive plot holes but apart from that great fun!

Haute Tension didn't have any plotholes...

I watched Take Care of My Cat again last night... it's one of the finest films ever made in my eyes.

Ah, mahou no you na isshun ni aeru no ka?

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 50
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/10/2005 11:53:27 AM   
filmliefhebber

Hardcore: Greek drama about two prostitues who become friends. Both girls have their own way to survive in the world of the prostitution.

quote: 3,5 / 5

(in reply to Aretak)
Post #: 51
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/10/2005 12:16:57 PM   
darkcloud

Azumi 2: Cute girl takes on hordes of enemies and the odd ludicrous bad guy...Kills them.
More of the same, and no bad thing for it. 4/5

Post #: 52
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/10/2005 2:15:27 PM   
yblehSdranoeL

The Isle - Fucking hell! Freaky stuff. Gorgeous film though and amazing the emotion that can be conveyed with almost no words. Some really beautifully framed shots which just makes the shocking stiff all the more disturbing.

The Devils Backbone - Not bad, but not great either. Some inventice scenes and nice moments of real tension, but as I'd worked out what was going on not long into the movie, it lost the impact it might have had.

Okay, what am I doing?
I'm chasing this guy.
Nope. He's chasing me.

(in reply to darkcloud)
Post #: 53
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/10/2005 4:23:17 PM   
filmliefhebber

Crash Test Dummies: fine Roemanian comedy. The humour comes straight out of the heart. The film is full of nice funny characters.

Quote: 4 / 5

(in reply to yblehSdranoeL)
Post #: 54
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/10/2005 6:14:23 PM   
wiggle

I watched Man Bites Dog fairly recently.  I've quite a few foreign films to watch: Cinema Paradiso, Battle Royale and Ring.  Amelie will always be my favourite foreign film. 

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 55
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/10/2005 7:03:33 PM   
QT_RJH

I've been going through a World Cinema phase recently. I've just finished going through my Ring Trilogy boxset (original Japanese).

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 56
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 16/10/2005 9:05:07 PM   
filmliefhebber

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiggle

I watched Man Bites Dog fairly recently.  I've quite a few foreign films to watch: Cinema Paradiso, Battle Royale and Ring.  Amelie will always be my favourite foreign film. 

What is for you the most original murder in C'est arrivé près de chez vous? For me, the one with the old lady .

(in reply to wiggle)
Post #: 57
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 17/10/2005 4:04:39 PM   
Kat Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aretak
I watched Take Care of My Cat again last night... it's one of the finest films ever made in my eyes.

Is that Chacun a son Chat?

I’m totally calm and I’m totally cool. My calm is only exceeded by my cool. Which is total.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

(in reply to Aretak)
Post #: 58
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 17/10/2005 10:27:35 PM   
RabidHamster

Just recently re-watched Sholay. A very fun, if campy, Bollywood film.

(in reply to Kat Brown)
Post #: 59
RE: Foreign films you watched recently - 17/10/2005 11:05:44 PM   
wiggle

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmliefhebber

quote:

ORIGINAL: wiggle

What is for you the most original murder in C'est arrivé près de chez vous? For me, the one with the old lady .

That must be the most original.  To me that was the most shocking as well because it just came out of the blue. 

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema >> RE: Foreign films you watched recently Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI