Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dexter Season 2 - US speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Dexter Season 2 - US speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 18/7/2007 9:00:54 AM   
hongkongphooey

First two episodes of season 2 are available in the usual places. It'll be a big gap til episodes 3 I expect, since it won't air officially til October, but I for one can't wait and will watch it later on today.
Post #: 1
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 18/7/2007 9:03:52 AM   
elab49

I was wondering why this was up so early - I didn't realise the series had started! Thanks for the heads up.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 2
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 18/7/2007 2:44:34 PM   
furrybastard

It doesn't officially start until 30th September. Showtime seem to have a fairly consistent leak with their shows being put up on the net well in advance of their premieres.

Anyone see them yet?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 18/7/2007 2:53:45 PM   
elab49

Ah - could they be also using The Wire tactic that saw the whole series given a DVD release as previews? (Crossing fingers that the same happens this year!)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 4
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 18/7/2007 9:58:50 PM   
Jim

Jesus Christ, Season 2 already? I've only just started watching it on FX in the UK!

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 19/7/2007 12:39:10 AM   
beebs_

Season 2 is out there now?! WTF!?

::runs off to investigate::

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 6
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 20/7/2007 6:40:59 PM   
elab49

A very interesting choice of big case for season 2. Excellent first epi.

quote:

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 7
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 20/7/2007 8:04:41 PM   
beebs_

Yep, this season looks interesting. I'm still loving Doakes.

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 23/7/2007 12:34:38 PM   
elab49

Heehee - Dexter's face at the name tag given to the 'new' killer. A level of excellence maintained at a very high level.

I've only read the first book - AFTER season 1 - as I don't want the books to ruin the TV show. Does anyone know if the storyline given so far still sticks closely to the books? And, if so, which one?

quote:

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 9
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 23/7/2007 12:53:16 PM   
Mycroft

So the first book covers more than the first TV series? Been wondering whether I should read it. Definitely watching 1 + 2 today

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 23/7/2007 12:59:19 PM   
elab49

No, pretty much just the first. But I'm assuming the differences between the series and the book means the second one can't really follow the series closely, if at all. But I don't want to take the risk.

quote:

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 11
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 25/7/2007 1:26:40 AM   
furrybastard

I really enjoyed the first two episodes, excellent stuff all round. I like the direction this season is heading. The first one is where we see how Dexter operates and the second season shows what happens when his ruotine gets disturbed.

Really liked the Jason bit where Rudy popped out of the water! And the deep sea divers finding all the bodies, there must have been over a hundred down there! Paul dying was a surprise too, I liked the character a lot and I thought he would be playing a significant role this season - guess not!

The flashbacks still feel a little out of place at times, especially when Dexter is played by that young teenager. Other than that though, a great start to season 2. The worst part is that we now have to wait a whole 3 months for the next episode

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 25/7/2007 2:13:42 PM   
Mycroft

Hmm, hasn't really come alive this season yet, despite the welcome return of Rudy. Are they still tweaking these episodes? The second felt slightly unfinished, or maybe just inconsistent direction. Looking forward to more Keith Carradine, should be good value

< Message edited by Mycroft -- 25/7/2007 2:15:25 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 4/9/2007 1:08:18 AM   
Zaphod121

I'm bumping this thread cus I just finished Season 1 on dvd the other day (LOVED it!) Just watched the first ep of S2, and am so far loving the direction this season is heading, how fit is Julie Benz? Also anyone else notice there's a new kid playing Cody?

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 4/9/2007 1:09:50 AM >

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 14
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 8/10/2007 8:59:16 AM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

I'm bumping this thread cus I just finished Season 1 on dvd the other day (LOVED it!) Just watched the first ep of S2, and am so far loving the direction this season is heading, how fit is Julie Benz? Also anyone else notice there's a new kid playing Cody?

Seen the 1st two episodes great stuff. Can't wait for the 3rd one.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 15
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 16/10/2007 11:07:48 AM   
elab49

Good grief. So what is the judgement fault then? All British actors are great or did they just think she was pretty? The hunk of wood from Hustle appears to have turned up - and clearly hasn't yet bothered with acting lessons continuing to assume her face will get her by. My chest of drawers has more charisma no matter how often she tries to look sultry and flicks her hair. Praying her role doesn't get any bigger!

For a while there I was wondering if by the end of the series Doakes will know who Dexter is and won't rat him out, but they gave an out on the following. There did seem to be some carelessness though - why on earth wouldn't they have already run the DNA of the victims through the databases and picked up the obvious for those who had been caught before?

quote:

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 16
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 16/10/2007 1:21:57 PM   
Captain Black

I know - I was wondering if all US TV shows contractually obliged to have at least one Brit in them this year! I didn't think she was that bad to be honest. I guess it depends on what her role will be in future episodes.

I thought the Doakes storyline resolution was a bit of a cop-out (excuse the pun) to be honest. He was stood there looking menacing, then it just flips on its head and we've got a really quick resolution to a long running plotline. I guess there's still room to revisit that as the season progresses.

I liked the car salesman storyline and the FBI head honcho (anyone know the actor? IMDb hasn't been updated for that episode yet) interacted well with both Dexter and Deborah so that's got some mileage.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 16/10/2007 1:43:42 PM   
elab49

Lundy is played by Keith Carradine.You probably saw him last in Deadwood?

quote:

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 18
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 16/10/2007 1:49:42 PM   
Captain Black

Ah yes that's it - thanks. 

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 17/10/2007 11:08:45 PM   
beebs_

Just watched episode 3.

While they did resolve the Doakes/AA thing pretty quickly I found the ep pretty good.

When I saw the actress from Hustle I was a bit baffled. What the hell is she doing on Dexter?! But I'll go with it for now. I loved the zoom in on Rita's face when she saw Dex's sponsor. Ha!

"Paramasturbatory"?

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 20
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 17/10/2007 11:28:34 PM   
Mycroft

Going pretty well so far, still disappointed they killed Rudy but at least they still managed to include him. The Doakes thing made me laugh, I thought it would be a copout reading the previous comments but it played fine for me, I'm sure they'll come back to it at some point. No idea where they could be going with the rehab thing, and I'm kind of missing the adversarial game of last season, but it's early days

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 21
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 19/10/2007 8:54:24 PM   
furrybastard

I thought it was a pretty weak episode, with far too many contrivances and fairly implausible plot resolutions. Dexter's sis kind of jumped to that conclusion pretty quickly, didn't she?  Two missing people out of the dozens interviewed had criminal records and it's not even known if they were actually the bodies found in the water (though we know they are) yet she sees a pattern? 

I'm not really buying the Doakes resolution either though there is room to still develop that so perhaps I'm judging too soon. Still, the reasons Doakes had for suspecting Dexter of something isn't really explained away by a drug addiction. If that's it on the Doakes front, then it's a very ill thought-out solution from the writers.

I also think it's a terrible, terrible idea to put Dexter into this NA environment just so they can devote long, winding passages given over to Dexter psycho-analysing himself. Christ, the dark passenger bit was overdone and tedious the first time, there was no need for a second go around at the end of the episode.  Dexter ain't Hamlet. If they want to explore Dexter's motivations, I'd rather they didn't do it through overblown, angst-ridden soliloquies (or father flashbacks, for that matter).

I really liked the first two episodes but this third one was a bit of a dud, if you ask me. I liked the car salesman killer and his impressive ability to lie but overall I'm hoping they can deliver something better for the rest of the season.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 22
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 25/10/2007 1:51:34 PM   
Mycroft

A mediocre episode, there's way too much pondering going on now with no adversary but himself. The whole episode felt wrong, the direction and writing were just off. It's all going a little bit glossy, not alot of darkness or twisted fun to anything at the moment

Post #: 23
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 8/11/2007 12:40:17 AM   
Mycroft

Much better this week, felt like an actual progression instead of treading water, character moments felt more natural too. The past few episodes have felt out of place in both direction and writing, or maybe its just been the lack of Dexter's theme tune. The "addiction" thing is wearing a little thin though, really hoping that plays out soon, whether it results acceptance or tragedy for Lila. I highly doubt this'll eclipse S1 with no like-minded soul to bounce off (Lila doesn't count, although she was less annoying this week). The tension is at last starting to mount. Dexter deleting the tape isn't much of an improvement on Lundy seeing it, can't see any contrivance that'll move his focus away from the department now.

Glad to see the reappearance of Doakes suspicions, don't give up yet furrybastard!

Difficult to imagine Dexter getting out of this one, the new him is seriously sloppy
Post #: 24
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 9/11/2007 1:16:29 PM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

A return to form this week. How he is managing to keep up his charade I don't know.

I think he might even have to end up taking out Doakes, it's building towards something

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 25
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 9/11/2007 10:31:12 PM   
beebs_

I liked it a lot. Soooo glad he slept with Rita. People have been saying that she's the reason for Dex breaking Harry's rules and being more honest... but I think it's just a rebellion against Harry who lied to him.

You know that Doakes isn't going to last until next season. Shame. I like him.

"Paramasturbatory"?

Post #: 26
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 13/11/2007 4:15:40 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

I liked it a lot. Soooo glad he slept with Rita. People have been saying that she's the reason for Dex breaking Harry's rules and being more honest... but I think it's just a rebellion against Harry who lied to him.

You know that Doakes isn't going to last until next season. Shame. I like him.

Just finished ep 6, don't you mean Lila?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 27
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 15/11/2007 11:00:17 AM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

seen episode 7. Can't see how long dexter can keep up the charade

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 28
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 15/11/2007 7:52:56 PM   
Mycroft

The end nears for Doakes me thinks. Dexter's ploy didn't last as long as I expected, is there going to be another series? This'll be a tough pickle to get out of. His thrusting in the opening scene was a laugh out loud moment, though I'm ready to get back to killer Dex now, 2 characters to take care of.

Post #: 29
RE: Dexter Season 2 - US speed - 22/11/2007 9:08:11 PM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mycroft

The end nears for Doakes me thinks. Dexter's ploy didn't last as long as I expected, is there going to be another series? This'll be a tough pickle to get out of. His thrusting in the opening scene was a laugh out loud moment, though I'm ready to get back to killer Dex now, 2 characters to take care of.

Episode 8: Well, Well, Well I can't see hw Dexter can keep his secret now.

If Doakes is smart he should put the box back and call the police and set up Dexter. But I don't think he will do that. He will try something else and he will end up getting killed.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Dexter Season 2 - US speed Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI