Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

His Dark Materials Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> His Dark Materials Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
His Dark Materials Thread - 17/7/2007 9:21:26 PM   
King_Wah

I have been through the five pages of Bookworms twice and I really cannot believe there is no thread about this beyond the Nana v Pullman thread. Anyway this is fulll of spoilers if you have not read them all.

Anyway I have just finished The Amber Spyglass. I have to say it wa the book I enjoyed least out of the three actually. However I could see how intricate the plotting was and the imagination of the guy is sparkling.

I think I liked the first one the most. I enjoyed Lyra working out how the Alethiometer worked and the Gyptians. I have to say that one of the scariest things I have ever read in a book is when Lyra fears she will be separated from Pan. My heart beated faster during that moment. I also loved the charcter of Iorek and how he regained his kingdom.

The true star of the books though is Mrs. Coulter. What a character. I could not be sure until she tackled Metatron that she had become a force for good. Kidman is perfect casting for the film I think. Anyway I am sure there are others who loved it to.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.
Post #: 1
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 17/7/2007 9:39:11 PM   
mafyou

They are wondeful books. I haven't read them in a while though so i really must do that. When i read them for the first time i cried at the ending to Spyglass. I have a feeling that was rather pathetic and i wouldn't now. 

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 2
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 19/7/2007 9:05:25 PM   
clare_star_

I only read them this year and I thought they were really enjoyable. I have to admit I got a little lost during the final book but the first novel is just so wonderful I can forgive it.

I love the scenes between Lyra and Iorek- that there would be this fierce relationship between the two of them- I think the fight between the two bears is one of the most vivid and horrifying scenes I've read in a children's book for a long time.

''Twitter''

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 3
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 19/7/2007 9:13:04 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Yeah i am in love with the books.....Amber Spyglass was the weakest, they just tried to put too much into it but there were some inspiring moments in it as well.
Lyra is one of my favourite characters in books.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 4
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 19/7/2007 10:00:42 PM   
G.O.B

my favourite series of books that i've read. i agree with amelie,there was too much stuffed into the amber spyglass but there was still plenty of great ideas.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 5
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 20/7/2007 12:31:53 AM   
Mr Gordo

Oh hell yes, I love this trilogy.  I read them in a kind of hazy stupor, was given Northern Lights as a gift, finished it then had to get the Subtle Knife and likewise for Spyglass.  Seriously it was like a priority, literally end one, pester anybody within a 50 metre radius about not having the next title and then run like a demented bangee to the nearest bookstore.

My personal favourite is The Subtle Knife.  Can't quite place why, from what I can recall it just seemed to flow more than the others.  I guess I just liked the impact of a new alternate world after being accustomed to the other, even if it is familiar to us.  I've actually noticed that there is a bit of a love/hate thing with the books though.  Damn people and their freewill based opinions, damn them all!.

Actually, if the Golden Compass(stupid Americans) is butchered for a cinematic release I will be pissed.  Possibly even more than if the last Harry Potter book turns out to be a mass game of  Monopoly like the chess game in Philosophers Stone(I just got Picadilly, you're owned Voldy).  Actually, that does sound pretty cool I must say.

Bored by the chore of saving face

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 6
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 20/7/2007 8:16:16 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Yeah, but you just know Voldemort would get all the stations.

Anyhoo, HDM I loved. Both my wife and I had to read them all in one go. I admit, I really enjoyed the first one most. The second is like a filler, and the third is densely packed. Not at all like, say Order of the phoenix which is long, but with a lot of filling - There's a lot going on in the Amber Spyglass which a second reading should hopefully clear up.

As with everyone who loves the books, I'm looking forward to the film with a little trepidation - it could be amazing, or it could be Eragon 2.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Mr Gordo)
Post #: 7
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 20/7/2007 1:36:33 PM   
Evil_Bob

In my opinion Pullman suffers from what I call Tolkien-Syndrome.
Great imagination.
Great descriptive writing.
Dead characters.

How dare you call me inhumane. Right you fucker. I'm going to do the washing up.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 8
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 20/7/2007 8:09:33 PM   
King_Wah

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

As with everyone who loves the books, I'm looking forward to the film with a little trepidation - it could be amazing, or it could be Eragon 2.

The trailer looks promising. I just never figured Iorek was white. It probably said it in the book but passed me by.

Kidman is the perfect choice for Coulter (Oh I said that once already).

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

Post #: 9
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 21/7/2007 2:27:47 PM   
Joe

Im actually just reading them for the first time just startedthe first book, though with a college thesis due i expect it to be slow progress

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 10
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 23/7/2007 11:10:46 AM   
KennyM

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

The trailer looks promising. I just never figured Iorek was white. It probably said it in the book but passed me by.

Kidman is the perfect choice for Coulter (Oh I said that once already).

I'm not sure if it is mentioned but I always presumed the armored bears would be of the polar variety, cause of the place they came from.

Anyhoo, I read these books again this year knowing the film was due. The Amber Spyglass was probably the weakest of the trilogy, the whole Mulefa/wheelie beast things was a drag first time round and even worse second time. I really liked The Subtle Knife, the shortest of the three but it also has the best chapter, where Lee Scoresby makes his stand against a platoon of bad guys. I'm looking forward to the film coming out, I really hope they don't mess about with it too much, as it has the potential to be as good as LOTR.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 11
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 23/7/2007 11:15:04 AM   
Felix

Handled well, the ending to The Amber Spyglasses where [Lyra and Will are sitting on the same bench but in diffent 'places'] could be one of the best endings in cinema history.

I just really hope they dont bugger this trilogy up, its too good for films to ruin. Not sure how they're going to handle the Mulefa without them looking silly.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 12
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 23/7/2007 11:17:51 AM   
James2183

It will certainly be interesting to see how they handle the relationship between Will and Lyra. Especially certain aspects of it which could be read different ways. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 13
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 23/7/2007 11:19:21 AM   
KennyM

Just take the things out altogether!

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 14
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 24/7/2007 3:27:40 PM   
John_P

can't wait, loved the books. can't wait to see how they do the daemons especially how Pan changes from creature to creature.

The highways jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive
Everybodys out on the run tonight but theres no place left to hide

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 15
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 25/7/2007 4:33:03 PM   
mafyou

I think that this series of books might just nudge Harry Potter as being 'better' but i cannot discern a favourite.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to John_P)
Post #: 16
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 25/7/2007 5:19:55 PM   
homersimpson_esq

It's a different beast, as this is really one story over three books, as opposed to seven interlinking but undeniably linked stories.

Spoilers for third book...

---->Now, it may be an illusion of passing time, but not a lot of time actually passes from the start of book one to the end of book three, so Lyra can't be much older than, say 14... 15 tops. Was anyone else feeling that the intensity of emotion between her and Will at the end was a bit much, given their respective ages? Unless I missed some passing of time, it's a bit odd. <-----

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 17
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 25/7/2007 5:39:33 PM   
mafyou

I know they are different beasts but you can still compare books as they are both fantasy. But that doesn't matter anyway.

With regard to your point i know what you mean but at the time it didn't seem odd and i must of been about 15 so not much older and recognised that i could feel something like that. Highlight: Was will older than Lyra? I can't remember! If so i could see what you mean but i like to be positive and not question things to do with love too much!

< Message edited by mafyou -- 26/7/2007 2:38:43 PM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 18
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 25/7/2007 5:48:18 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I think he was older, and you could argue that they'd been through quite a bit, so had a fair amount of multi-worldly experience, lol.

[Btw, for the best spoiler-hiding font, it's #F1F1F1 in the color html code.] It's the same grey as the background.]

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 19
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 25/7/2007 7:08:13 PM   
mafyou

Yeah i noticed you did that but i don't understand how you do it? When i swaped from Opera to Firefox i couldn't do a few things. I now can't to the making a link in a word like here and then clicking on it. Peculiar. Then again i'm not very good with computers!

With regard to the books though, we will say that having been through what they did it was not surprising!

Et In Arcadia Ego

Post #: 20
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 26/7/2007 8:26:41 PM   
KennyM

I though the end with the two of them was very touching.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 21
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 26/7/2007 8:54:26 PM   
Felix

I have no qualms admitting that even as a then 28 year old man, the ending had me in tears.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 22
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 26/7/2007 11:23:36 PM   
the sangypange

great trilogy, i loved the ideas that these books have and that it does not dumb itself down for children. Hopefully the films wont wimp out on the books anti- organised religion stance

What are you doing in my tent?
Im Listening to records

check out the Pange's 10 album covers
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2212151

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 23
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 27/7/2007 3:39:45 PM   
Zaphod121

I LOVED this trilogy, Spyglass dragged a bit in places but none the less I thought they were all great, but of course I don't remember anything from them, seriously here's what I can pull out from all the trilogy -

BOOK 1 -
Something about bears with armor
The golden compass thingy, which I can't remember what it does
the demon companion guys

BOOK 2 -
the knife that can cut through to other dimensions, or something

BOOK 3 -
Something about little whelly creatures

I should read them again

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to the sangypange)
Post #: 24
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 27/7/2007 3:54:40 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

I have no qualms admitting that even as a then 28 year old man, the ending had me in tears.

So did i. But if by the third film that scene doesn't have me in tears i think i might consider that a failure on the director's/actors/producers part.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 25
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 29/7/2007 11:59:37 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

My favourite collection of books.I'm going to try and re-read them all before the film comes out. Can't believe I haven't read it in 6 years .

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 26
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 5/12/2007 11:08:17 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Thought this should be resurrected in light of what seems to be a poor adaptation, perhaps a renewed appreciation for the source novels. I only read them for the first time this year because the films were coming out. I'm glad I read them first.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 27
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 9/12/2007 4:12:14 PM   
mikioninja

I vote for a campaign against Weitz being involved in the next films, get stoppard on board and kill dakota blue richards the girl cant act.
Golden Compass(grrrr even the title now makes my blood boil) is an example to anyone wanting to do an adaptation of a book of what not to do. So So glad i love the books and have seen the film.
Am currently re-finishing the Amber Spyglass and am about to go round again just to remove the images from the film from my brain.

Post #: 28
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 12/12/2007 9:58:14 PM   
the anomaly

After seeing the film "The Golden Compass" it seems like I will have to read the books as the film in my opinion was pretty terrible.
They are on my Christmas list and if Santa does not bring them amazon will in January.

(in reply to mikioninja)
Post #: 29
RE: His Dark Materials Thread - 19/12/2007 3:57:21 PM   
Jim

I'm re-reading them now rather than see the film at all. The film doesn't seem to do the books much justice and I'd rather it didn't wreck how I imagine the characters to be (appearance, voice etc). I saw a brief clip of Iorek the other day - why the hell is Ian McKellen doing the voice? As much as I love him - he's Gandalf and Magneto! - his voice doesn't fit for Iorek at all, IMO. Iorek is not an old guy. Annoyingly, my idea of Lord Asriel was miles away from Daniel Craig but now that I've seen the trailers and so on, whenever I read the descriptions of Lord Asriel I interpret them to fit Daniel Craig's appearance, not my own previous idea. So I'd rather avoid the films and stop that sort of damage.

These books are probably my favourite ever. I've just finished the Northern Lights and started The Subtle Knife. Book 2 is definitely my favourite, followed by Northern Lights with Amber Spyglass in a close, but definite, third. One niggle about the movies now is that the latest editions of the book with the movie art are all but renamed The Golden Compass - both names are on the cover, in the same size font.

I don't mean to sound like a rabid fanboy or anything, I'm just bitterly disappointed. I was really excited about it initially and was definitely going to see it, and then I saw the trailers and promo clips and it just looks terrible. Reviews have been fairly mixed as well, so it's not just me.

< Message edited by Jim -- 19/12/2007 3:59:22 PM >

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> His Dark Materials Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI