Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 1:59:52 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigmurds

Bugger.

1) Live next door to arnolfini

2) agreed to go see my mum tonight for tea.

:O(

It's worrying how near to you I'm going to be living...

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 31
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 2:00:33 PM   
bigmurds

Timmy boy. Why not see if you can geet a few autograps? Take along some playdoh and get him to sign a tub.

< Message edited by bigmurds -- 12/3/2009 2:01:47 PM >

MY BRIAN IS FINE.......

ROCK AND ROLL

Edward Norton is never going to be Brandon Lee

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 32
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 2:03:08 PM   
bigmurds

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Bugger.

I know and what you dont know is that i have a telescope pointing straight thru your window. lol

MY BRIAN IS FINE.......

ROCK AND ROLL

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 33
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 2:04:59 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bugger.

I know and what you dont know is that i have a telescope pointing straight thru your window. lol

I'll make sure to close the curtains before I murder someone.

Tell me, do you have a broken leg and a cool sideline in dangerous photography?

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 34
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 2:05:19 PM   
Timon

The showing is all sold out (that's ok... I've come late to the game) but the book signing is free to get into so I'll hopefully get my DVD (and possibly his book if I get some cash out) signed. I'll also try and get a picture of me and the man himself.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 35
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 2:08:01 PM   
bigmurds

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bugger.

I'll make sure to close the curtains before I murder someone.

Tell me, do you have a broken leg and a cool sideline in dangerous photography?

no but i do have a prosthetic arm and a film camera in the bathroom ceiling. Does that count?

MY BRIAN IS FINE.......

ROCK AND ROLL

Post #: 36
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 2:22:48 PM   
Timon

After seeing this on imdb, which he's listed as producing for release in 2010....I have to ask him about WAR EAGLES!

Just prior to the start of WWII, a publicly humiliated Army Air Corps test pilot, court-martialed and discharged from the service for an unauthorized flight that ultimately endangered the life of President Roosevelt, takes the only job he can get - flying an experimental airplane around the world from pole to pole. When his plane is unexpectedly attacked and crashes on an uncharted island above the Arctic Circle, the pilot discovers a strange land inhabited by a lost tribe of Norsemen who ride giant eagles and, in a surprising turn of events, becomes America's only hope against a devastating sneak attack by the Nazis and their powerful new electromagnetic weapon.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 37
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 2:26:33 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Those darned Nazis! They're turning up all over the place these days! The Arctic Circle... the future... the moon...!

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 38
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 12/3/2009 9:48:09 PM   
richCie

so in a slightly related thing, anyone go see better things at the watershed? in particular the showing attended by the producer adn which had a Q & A at the end? it was pretty good (though the film wasnt all that) but t'd interesting to see how close i might have gotten to meeting one of you...

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 39
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 13/3/2009 9:31:20 AM   
shool

Mission accomplished Timon ?

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 40
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 13/3/2009 9:47:24 AM   
Timon

I am now the proud owner of a Harryhause signed Jason and the Argonauts DVD. But I almost wasn't....

Queue was huge and 3/4s were turned away. I was right at the front of the section that was turned away and having waited for 30mins, I wasn't going to give in, so slipped into the auditorium when the usher wasn't looking.

Ray was a little infirm, not all his Argonauts were rowing. His publicist did most of the talking… he is 89 after all, but after refusing to go and literally being the last person to get something signed before they had to feed him, I succeeded! Jason would be proud!

< Message edited by Timon -- 13/3/2009 9:48:47 AM >

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 41
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 13/3/2009 9:51:01 AM   
shool

Your persistance is to be commended.

You will be rewarded in this life and the next trusty Argonaut.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 42
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 13/3/2009 9:53:07 AM   
parsonage84

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

so in a slightly related thing, anyone go see better things at the watershed? in particular the showing attended by the producer adn which had a Q & A at the end? it was pretty good (though the film wasnt all that) but t'd interesting to see how close i might have gotten to meeting one of you...

Nope but was planning but was too busy in the end, so almost came close richCie

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 43
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 13/3/2009 12:02:51 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

quote:

ahh that's a shame it was a pretty good night, i don't actually live in bristol but the watershed is like my favourite cinema ever, so if they have another q+a session sumtime soon i'd probably do my best to go down for it. am going to see bronson there this week in all likelihood but i'll keep the date and time a secret :)

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 44
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 13/3/2009 4:35:16 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

quote:

ahh that's a shame it was a pretty good night, i don't actually live in bristol but the watershed is like my favourite cinema ever, so if they have another q+a session sumtime soon i'd probably do my best to go down for it. am going to see bronson there this week in all likelihood but i'll keep the date and time a secret :)

The Watershed is that good, huh? Really looking forward to going there now.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 45
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 14/3/2009 11:05:05 AM   
richCie

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Watershed is that good, huh? Really looking forward to going there now.

well it's cheap, shows no blockbusters, and lots of foreign and indie films that get shown nowhere else and its like always empty. very nice atmosphere and that, if i lived closer i'd go alot more often.

Post #: 46
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 14/3/2009 11:28:51 AM   
Baby Bear

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon 
not all his Argonauts were rowing.

Oh, please, make this become a regularly used phrase! I nearly peed when I read it!

" At least he was asleep when I hit him with the shovel......." Moses Lawn. RIP

Has tin foil hat issues ( thanks Woger...love it )

Felix: "Poor guy. They must be like space hoppers by now."

lympo :
I have no idea how the idea came about! one moment I was eating turkey, the next i was on all fours

Daz : Get. A fucking. Room.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 47
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 24/3/2009 3:04:20 PM   
Timon

I live about a 30min walk from the Watershed and use when I can, but it's mainly for showings of foreign films that don't immediately get released at multiplexes like Mongol and The Orphanage.

Has a great bar/restaurant though, it's a nice evening out.

(in reply to Baby Bear)
Post #: 48
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 26/3/2009 4:10:40 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I am so very, very frustrated. (Not that way, well, yes, but, that's besides the point...) Some live musician dude who plays to silent films (bad pun alert: The Birdman of Alkijazz) is playing alongside a showing of Sunrise! Live! At the Watershed! My third favourite film of all time! One problem: it coincides with the few days after Easter when I have the children! Oh, how divided I feel!

Quick question to my fellow Bristolians: Since I don't know the city, can I have a quick rundown of places that are "dear Lord not even my 6-foot, ex-SAS cousin would walk down that area alone" and places that are "omg you like totally have to go there it is like amaaazing".

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 49
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 26/3/2009 5:40:54 PM   
parsonage84

quote:

I am so very, very frustrated. (Not that way, well, yes, but, that's besides the point...) Some live musician dude who plays to silent films (bad pun alert: The Birdman of Alkijazz) is playing alongside a showing of Sunrise! Live! At the Watershed! My third favourite film of all time! One problem: it coincides with the few days after Easter when I have the children! Oh, how divided I feel!

Quick question to my fellow Bristolians: Since I don't know the city, can I have a quick rundown of places that are "dear Lord not even my 6-foot, ex-SAS cousin would walk down that area alone" and places that are "omg you like totally have to go there it is like amaaazing".

Pretty much any part of the City with East in its name, Eastville for example 

Walking along the waterfront during the summer is always good, likewise Clifton is worth exploring. The Downs is popular during the summer months aswell, but only really a giant park, but be great when you got the kids, ummmm the Catedral and museum worth a look, of course along with @Bristol. I really enjoyed the SS. Great Britain when i walked around it, but once again if not your thing probably wouldnt be worth going. I only lived in Bristol for couple of years while been at Uni, so imagine some of the other forumites will have some better ideas or more in depth knowledge

O if you like cider, the Corrie Tap in Clifton is a must! you wont ever remember leaving the place, but many a great night has begun in that place

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

Post #: 50
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 26/3/2009 6:11:40 PM   
Rhubarb

Eastville, St Pauls, Hartcliffe, Southmead, all worth avoiding if you can.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 51
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 27/3/2009 9:23:04 AM   
Timon

Parts of Bedminster. However I live in the 'nicer' part.

But yes, Clifton, Redland, The Downs... all lovely areas and the Waterfront is fantastic during the summer. As is Ashton Court.

Ah the Corrie Tap, destroyer of oh so many brain cells.

If your kids are coming down, take them to @Bristol, Bristol Zoo (near the Downs) and the outlook over the Gorge on the Downs. Lovely area especially in the evening when the suns sets over the bridge.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 52
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 27/3/2009 12:36:11 PM   
richCie

anyone go see Gun Crazy or Bronson in the watershed on tuesday?
if so, i was there!
hadn't been in cinema 2 before, but my god it's tiny! and gun crazy is the first film i've seen that they narrow the curtains after the adverts instead of opening them up more

will definately be going again in half term - Let The Right One In!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 53
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 27/3/2009 12:55:38 PM   
Mr Dead

quote:

Depends what you like really, as others have said checking out the downs and the gorge are all pretty amazing particularly in the summer. The sun terrace at the Avon gorge hotel is a great way of watching the sun go down over the gorge and bridge but be warned it gets very very busy! Theres generally something going on down the waterfront all summer altough personally i steer clear of on a friday and saturday night as it turns into Chav central (with the exception of the Watershed which is haven of peace, tranquility and top films)! The harbour festival is pretty much essential (its free as well!) i think its on the end of July /start of August this year. There are various other festivals on through out the summer as well...
Gloucester road is worth checking out with losts of little shops etc up and down and aload of cafes etc. Got a nice vibe to it.

If you want something that fufils both your criteria check out the black swan a combination of a club/post apocalyptic wasteland with a bonfire it has to be experienced at least once but isnt really for the faint of heart...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn
I don't know whether I should be in love with you Dead or afraid of you!

my sig is not quite as witty or clever as Circe's

A thinker and a fighter since day 1 of the Zombie Apocalypse

Post #: 54
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 27/3/2009 12:59:02 PM   
bigmurds

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Parts of Bedminster. However I live in the 'nicer' part.

But yes, Clifton, Redland, The Downs... all lovely areas and the Waterfront is fantastic during the summer. As is Ashton Court.

Ah the Corrie Tap, destroyer of oh so many brain cells.

If your kids are coming down, take them to @Bristol, Bristol Zoo (near the Downs) and the outlook over the Gorge on the Downs. Lovely area especially in the evening when the suns sets over the bridge.

Will second the above.

Also just to mention that unless you are a fan of small village houses (think about it) you may wish to avoid the downs at night.

Corrie Tap is great if not a bit run down but dont give exhibition to anyone female.

Raj Monie is great curryhouse in Clifton. Also there are some great clubs including the bierkeller which does oompah night once a month.

MY BRIAN IS FINE.......

ROCK AND ROLL

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 55
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 27/3/2009 1:18:42 PM   
Mr Dead

Ha exhibition....you think you're fine until you try to stand up and your legs dont seem to be connected anymore! If that werent bad enough theres the exhibiton snakebite... pint of stella, half of exhbition and a shot of pernod all mixed together. Now that is a world of wrong, only had it once...never again!

quote:

(in reply to bigmurds)
Post #: 56
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 27/3/2009 3:45:31 PM   
Timon

Pizza Provencale - the best pizza place in Bristol. In Clifton, near The Quadrant and the WHSmiths. Brilliant little place.

(in reply to Mr Dead)
Post #: 57
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 27/3/2009 10:28:32 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

anyone go see Gun Crazy or Bronson in the watershed on tuesday?
if so, i was there!

hadn't been in cinema 2 before, but my god it's tiny! and gun crazy is the first film i've seen that they narrow the curtains after the adverts instead of opening them up more

will definately be going again in half term - Let The Right One In!

Which showing? I was at the Watershed for an after-work drink (6.30) and as I left at, ooh, 7.30-8.00, there was a crush of people all going in to see Gun Crazy. That could have been you!

Re the other suggestions, cheers guys! I'm definitely going to check out @Bristol. It's barely 5 minutes from where I live, so I'm thinking 'season ticket' - somewhere to take the kids if it's raining! Mind you, the Watershed is barely 5 minutes from where I live too...

Incidentally I took a stroll up Park Street today (stroll... hah, hike is more like it) and just as it was about to level out what do I spy but a World Cinema DVD shop! I was technically in work mode, as I was going to get keys cut, but I had to stop and window shop for a minute. When I get the chance (and the change) I'm so going in there!

What's the Harbour Festival? Film? Music? Food? All of the above?

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 58
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 28/3/2009 3:34:02 PM   
Mr Dead

The Harbour festival is a music, circus, dancing type thing. It basically takes over the entire waterfront for a few days. Check it out at http://www.bristolharbourfestival.co.uk/

quote:

Post #: 59
RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! - 29/3/2009 10:39:12 PM   
homersimpson_esq

So I went to the Clifton Sausage... Nice place. Good rioja...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Mr Dead)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Ray Harryhausen's In Bristol! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI