Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Could have been alot better

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Could have been alot better Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Could have been alot better - 28/4/2006 3:48:40 PM   
Newander

I half liked the movie and half felt disappointed by it.

It had a lot to live up too, as it was my fave book as a child and one that was read hundreds of times, so i was really excited to see how it would be on the big screen, having been delighted at LOTR adaption.

It started well and i loved Lucy immediately and Edmund was well cast too. The house and the professor were just as i had imagined and when she stepped into the wardrobe, i was transported back to when i was a child, Mr Tumnus was excellent too, but the scene when they were having tea seemed a bit rushed to me and that to me was an important part of the story.
The majestic, huge vastness of Narnia seemed overlooked too IMO, they should have made more of the scenery of New Zealand to convey this.
The white witch wasn't scary or evil enough. The beavers were great, but i imagined Aslan to be much bigger, with a far scarier roar, although his caring side was well shown and when he died, it was very sad.
The stone table scene was nearly right, but the evil creatures were just too ork like for me, i imagined them to be more goblin like or evil little critters and they wern't.

The scene that realy let the whole film down, was when Peter and Susan are standing on the valley top, this was so obviously greenscreen and was just poorly done.

On the plus side. Lucy was great, as was Mr Tumnus, the creatures bar the ones i have mentioned were good too, as was the final battle, and the lampost was exactly as i had imagined it.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to MCorcoran)
Post #: 31
RE: Could have been alot better - 28/4/2006 5:47:02 PM   
Timmy_Brisby_05

I agree, it's fantasctic!

Bolt: [gets up and looks up at the cats] Hello, hairballs.

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 32
RE: Tilda and the kids make this film great - 29/4/2006 5:54:37 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

There is a real romantic feel to the air in this film,

Sorry to trim the quote to that one phrase, but that was something I felt too. Watching The Lion... reminded me of my own childhood and that sense of magic I got from visiting the cinema. Especially apparent during the early scenes of discovery, the section from Lucy hiding in the wardrobe through her meeting with Tumnus was wonderful. The scenes accurately captured the glee which a child experiences when happening upon something magical and there was a sense of romanticism there for sure.

I'd agree about the children too, it only really Popplewell as Susan who is an obviously weak link.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 33
Meh!!! - 30/4/2006 4:16:14 AM   
PaulJohn

I have to admit that Tilda Swanson saves this film from a one star rating from me. She makes the film worth while whenever shes on screen. The kids just stand there like cardboard cut-outs and have no real personality or charisma between them.

As for the "Battle" scene at the end, Just watch the LOTR trilogy and see how they should be done.

Narnia is a HUGE let down. Watch the LOTR trilogy or the "Harry Potter" films instead.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
RE: Tilda and the kids make this film great - 30/4/2006 3:40:57 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axel Foley
quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975
There is a real romantic feel to the air in this film,

Sorry to trim the quote to that one phrase, but that was something I felt too. Watching The Lion... reminded me of my own childhood and that sense of magic I got from visiting the cinema. Especially apparent during the early scenes of discovery, the section from Lucy hiding in the wardrobe through her meeting with Tumnus was wonderful. The scenes accurately captured the glee which a child experiences when happening upon something magical and there was a sense of romanticism there for sure.

I'd agree about the children too, it only really Popplewell as Susan who is an obviously weak link.

Agreed, shame people only seem to diss this for being a kid's film. If it's a kid's film, then it damn is a Disney classic.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 35
RE: Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, The - 3/5/2006 8:19:48 PM   
Purple_Jeni

Is it just me or was the CG very poor? If you think about the budget spent on this film they should have been far superior. On the whole i felt it was a dissapiontment. I'm not just saying thats cos it's a kids film like some people on here have been saying, I love kids films and i'm 24. I just felt it chould have been alot better, more magical, more epic it felt quite rushed in places. It was an entertaining movie but definatly should have been better.

Post #: 36
RE: Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, The - 3/5/2006 8:23:02 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

It was three years in the making, and I do agree on some regarding geographical aspects of the movie, but the final battle was very good and full of variety. I think Adamson is like any director new to the blockbuster arena: he focuses more on the drama.

Still, I know Prince Caspian will be a superior film.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Purple_Jeni)
Post #: 37
- 5/5/2006 9:27:52 PM   
chuxtahz_flawless

i thought this movie strait sukt

Post #: 38
- 5/5/2006 9:32:03 PM   
chuxtahz_flawless

but you should still take your kids to it... they might still get thier frillz

Post #: 39
Narnia - 6/5/2006 12:23:43 AM   
TEELAH

i thought this movie was o for osom it had mint special features and mean actors haha mr Tumnus but leash just sed it sucked as if she could make a film and get it to bigg screen hehe lol well Tinks out!!!!!!!

Post #: 40
RE: Narnia - 6/5/2006 9:48:36 PM   
~Angel~

Being a big fan of the book and seeing the trailer for the first time i got really hyped about seeing this film. I went to watch it the day it came out and was really disappointed by what i saw! It was bang to the book but i feel it was too "kiddy" for my liking! Aslan was the major letdown for me as i thought he would be more powerful and serious like he is in the book! Not all godly and pussy-whipped like he is in the film! On the other hand CGI was put to good use and the MAJORITY of the cast was brilliant! (not including William Mosely and Anna Popplewell).

(in reply to TEELAH)
Post #: 41
family entertainment - 17/5/2006 10:49:03 AM   
alexisreaver2132

Thought it was a magical family orientated film. Liked the innocence of the film. Really thought the creatures were done well too.

Post #: 42
roar - 29/6/2006 5:18:26 PM   
Cormac_Dawson

I like when the lion talked.

Post #: 43
RE: roar - 15/7/2006 7:45:49 PM   
nailpolish

I'm late to the party on this film as I've only recently bought the DVD but I absolutely love it.

The child actors were great and I was especially impressed with Skandar Keynes as Edmund. I don't think his  performance has been recognised sufficiently given the fact that it was such a difficult role and he was working alongside such a great actress in Tilda Swinton.

He  makes Edmund appropriately abrasive and dark. He also avoids the usual pitfalls, as he keeps Edmund edgy and doesn’t temper the boy’s sullen side with artificial cheer.

The special effects on the whole were very good but one or two did jar like the poor quality Fox. Spreading the effects work amongst a number of companies clearly caused problems.

I love the extras on the DVD as you see the kids are having a ball.  They clearly do love each other and that brings something more to the film when you rewatch it.  Its a film with heart and Adamson has done a great job with his first live action film. A special mention for the soundtrack which is just perfect. I don't usually buy soundtracks but I had to have this one and play it all the time.

I'm usually a cynical old s*d watching films but this film has now got a special place in my family's heart.

Can't wait to see Prince Caspian.

(in reply to Cormac_Dawson)
Post #: 44
- 21/7/2006 10:59:27 PM   
huny_monster

Pretty good.

Post #: 45
RE: - 1/10/2006 12:08:02 AM   
kumar

only just seen it. to it is a kids book, with about a billionth the amount of detail of LOTR books, its a good film. i enjoyed it and i liked ALL of the

kids acting. Mr Tumnus was quality! ill watchi it again soon!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to huny_monster)
Post #: 46
RE: Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, The - 2/10/2006 3:24:06 PM   
shawshank prisoner

boring. slow. poorly acted. bad film.
disney gets worse and worse with each film

Post #: 47
RE: Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe, The - 2/10/2006 5:47:15 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I thought it was pretty much what I expected - an entertaining kid's fantasy film. It's not a patch on LOTR but it was never gonna top Tolkein's classic in a million years, the difference in quality between the two tales put paid to that.

Overall I liked it and enjoyed the battle scene, especially that moment of silence before the two sides collide with the cheetahs steaming towards the enemy.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 48
RE: Lighten up! - 4/10/2006 12:54:43 AM   
Whiteflag35

I enjoyed this film but I did find it a little too 'kiddy' in places.  I know it's based on a childrens book but I was hoping for the Narnia films to be the new 'Lord of the rings' not the kids version.

I liked Tilda Swinton as the Witch but I also imagined Cate Blanchett playing her.
Post #: 49
RE: Sucked balls - 23/10/2006 1:18:11 AM   
spideyfan666

This movie was absolute shite not a touch on Harry Potter unlikeable no talent actors who you couldnt really give a shit if they lived or died and a cardboard plot make for a very unsatisfying movie going experience

Movies are about imagination and enjoyment respect EVERYBODIES opinion
Post #: 50
- 29/11/2006 12:40:20 PM   
ben29_99

Could have been a classic given the material, but it wasnt grand in scale enough for me and moved too slowly in places. Still, the best is yet to come, ie silver chair and last battle. I hope they do the 'actual' first book too, magicians nephew cuz it explains a lot about how narnia was made. Better than crappy potter anyway.

Post #: 51
Pretty Good Really - 7/12/2006 7:43:25 PM   
Pipkin3

Only just misses out on 4 stars for lacking a feel of scale. You don't get any idea of how far they';ve travelled, or where, say, the Stone Table is in regard to thhe witches palace. But good enough acting from the kids all round, but McAvoy and Swinton are the stars.
It's a great story for kids, but read the book first, because some people have commented on how slow it is to get started, but when you read the book, you notice how quickly it glosses over a beginning which you really need to make a film work. Afterall books and films work differently.
Some shit CGI is in there. Aslan looks great, but the wolves, foxes and some bluescreen just look, agh!!!!!
Music is lovely, it's just shame that the witch has no memorable theme, as she should have had!
Anyway, I still enjoyed, but hope they will iron some rather majorp roblems for the next one!!!

Post #: 52
Pretty Good Really - 7/12/2006 7:43:28 PM   
Pipkin3

Only just misses out on 4 stars for lacking a feel of scale. You don't get any idea of how far they';ve travelled, or where, say, the Stone Table is in regard to thhe witches palace. But good enough acting from the kids all round, but McAvoy and Swinton are the stars.
It's a great story for kids, but read the book first, because some people have commented on how slow it is to get started, but when you read the book, you notice how quickly it glosses over a beginning which you really need to make a film work. Afterall books and films work differently.
Some shit CGI is in there. Aslan looks great, but the wolves, foxes and some bluescreen just look, agh!!!!!
Music is lovely, it's just shame that the witch has no memorable theme, as she should have had!
Anyway, I still enjoyed, but hope they will iron some rather majorp roblems for the next one!!!

Post #: 53
Surprisingly good - 12/1/2007 10:45:53 PM   
Caster

Not as memorable as LOTR but it only has two hours to do what Jackson did in ten, and in its own right it's a very enjoyable family film with a great performance from little Georgie Henley, and a modern score that works surprisingly well in a period film.

Post #: 54
- 10/3/2007 5:37:06 PM   
moviemaniac2

A Sunny Delight Rings, the first Narnia will captivate youngsters without boring adults. A solid foundation for a fledgling franchise.

Post #: 55
Like a lion with no teeth - 28/3/2007 11:04:46 AM   
XVII

Not so bad that it's good & not so bad that you want to run from the cinema but certainly there is nothing here to sit down & enjoy. The child actors are just plain annoying, all of them. I haven't been this annoyed by an actors performance since Jake Lloyd in Episode One - aarrrhhgg!!! Don't waste you time with this. Simply read the book or rent out the BBC series from the 80's which is far better. To give this one star would be unfair - it's not Spawn or Jaws 4, giving it 2 stars is generous. Stay clear of this turkey!!

Post #: 56
Narnia Is Truly Breathtaking - 13/6/2007 4:02:04 PM   
Filmfreak666

The trailer For The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe erupted on the cinema screen while I sat anticipating about what to excpect in Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire. Being a grat fan of the beloved book I was excited as could be about it. I went to see it with high hopes after it being critically acclaimed but what I saw was nothing to what I excpected but so much more. This was absolutely fantastic. By far one of the best fims I have ever seen. The plot was simply classic and adapted to a fashion that modern audiences would lap up. The actors who played the Pevensie children were superb but Peter was rather weak compared to the others. Georgie Henley as Lucy introduced us into Narnia perfectly. Narnia itself was beautiful. The special effects were great althought the Queen's castle wasn't as great as the other effects. Tilda was superb as the White Witch and Liam Neesons voice was exactly as Aslan would've sounded like. The climatic battle was superb with such strong emotion held throughout. Forget Rings, Narnia is the next biggest franchise to hit our screens. Here's hoping to Prince Caspian being exactly as amazing as this

Post #: 57
Served it purpose. - 5/12/2007 2:39:42 PM   
holsy

It was very entertaining and thus i think it served its purpose. Aslan is a technical masterpiece but the kids acting really needs to improve next time round!

Post #: 58
- 22/4/2008 12:40:54 AM   
nc_jj

Cool, man, cool. Really good. Although, it wasn't that brilliant.

Post #: 59
- 22/4/2008 12:40:55 AM   
nc_jj

Cool, man, cool. Really good. Although, it wasn't that brilliant.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Could have been alot better Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI