Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

James May's 20th Century

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> James May's 20th Century Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
James May's 20th Century - 10/7/2007 12:18:40 PM   
Captain Black

Familiar ground for Top Gear presenters; May presents a series about inventions and technology from the past century (ish). Should be good, he's an excellent presenter (I particularly liked his childhood toys programme) even when distanced from his more high profile colleagues.

Tuesdays, BBC2, 8:00pm. Two episodes each half and hour. I know Sway'll be watching too.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]
Post #: 1
RE: James May's 20th Century - 10/7/2007 1:12:55 PM   
Cat5

Yeah, this looks good. I like May as a presenter, and am sure he'll get rather enthusiastic about the inventions.

Frasier: So you're seeing a man?
Daphne: Only when I close my eyes and concentrate.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 2
RE: James May's 20th Century - 10/7/2007 4:48:19 PM   
Timon

Yeah count me in. Was going to watch Letters From Iwo Jima but i'll eat dinner to this and save the war film for later.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 3
RE: James May's 20th Century - 10/7/2007 9:52:56 PM   
Dave Novo

Both episodes were really enjoyable stuff - May's not as "in yer face" as his Top Gear colleagues and lends a genuine enthusiasm to the inventions he was presenting. The second show on the Space race was simple stuff, but made very watchable. I'll be watching future episodes for sure

Hostia Puta

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: James May's 20th Century - 11/7/2007 12:31:19 AM   
Sway

I went out and missed it.  

Captain Black can you ever forgive me?  More importantly, can James?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Dave Novo)
Post #: 5
RE: James May's 20th Century - 11/7/2007 9:38:32 AM   
Captain Black

Awww. I can, and I'm sure James can too.

I think Dave summed it up quite nicely. Nothing ground breaking, but thoroughly enjoyable. Clarkson sometimes (alright: often) gets carried away with hyperbole, but here May just let things speak for themselves.

I think my favourite bits were when he was speaking to NASA chap who said he'd go into space now even if he knew there was no coming back, and the raised eyebrow when James was talking about the lack of wind on the moon and way it blew the flag.  

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 6
RE: James May's 20th Century - 11/7/2007 3:37:55 PM   
filmburner30

Yeah it was really good May is a good presenter and he made it fun to watch More Please

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

Post #: 7
RE: James May's 20th Century - 12/7/2007 3:44:52 PM   
Dark Knight

The panic on the scientists face every time that May went to touch part of the part-assembled satellites was priceless!

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 8
RE: James May's 20th Century - 17/7/2007 9:43:14 PM   
Sway

Wooohoo, I caught tonight's two episodes of it.

Particularly enjoyed the 2nd one, because of the tanks, ships, fighter planes, and general all round military theme.  Oh and because of James of course.

My brother phoned me during the break and told me he was away round to the shop to get a pie as May had made him hungry for one!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 9
RE: James May's 20th Century - 17/7/2007 9:48:24 PM   
Captain Black

May's clearly better than Clarkson as at least he didn't throw up in the backseat of a fighter.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 10
RE: James May's 20th Century - 17/7/2007 9:50:53 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I caught this double episoder tonight as well and found it fascinating.  Even the blokey stuff about the military.  Laughed at his expressions in the Euro Fighter "I've left my bowels on the runway"

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 11
RE: James May's 20th Century - 17/7/2007 9:51:46 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

May's clearly better than Clarkson as at least he didn't throw up in the backseat of a fighter.

Haha, good point! I'm sure even Gordon Ramsay chucked up when he was in one didn't he? I hope I've not just made that up.

But yes, I hope May rubs it in Clarkson's face.... That Captain Slow can take the high G's and retain his guts.

Post #: 12
RE: James May's 20th Century - 17/7/2007 9:53:10 PM   
Captain Black

What the line the fighter pilot ("Godders!" - me old mucker ) had about the climb rate of the Typhoon? Something about a fallen angel?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 13
RE: James May's 20th Century - 17/7/2007 11:30:43 PM   
Sway

Argh can't remember now, I know exactly what you mean though.

Wasn't it something about a drunk or misguided angel trying to find it's way home? Good god, that'll frustrate the hell out of me now. I can't remember!

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> James May's 20th Century Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI