Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Family Guy on BBC Three

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Family Guy on BBC Three Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 12/7/2007 10:27:44 AM   
the anomaly

How many episodes have I missed?
I thought I had already seen them as I have seasons 1-5 on DVD.
I do think seasons 4-5 are not as good as 1-3. I gave 4-5 a 2nd watch the
other day and did enjoy them more but for me Family Guy does not really have the staying power of "The Simpsons" or "South Park" which I have seen repeats many many many times and still enjoyed.
Still Family Guy is still good and worth a laugh but I hope this season is better the the previous two.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 31
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 12/7/2007 2:30:18 PM   
theoriginalcynic

It depends on your pov, to me Family Guy hasn't dropped the ball at all and still makes me laugh more then anything currently on TV.  Most sitcoms aren't funny and don't make me laugh out loud, atleast FG has a few moments of genuis in each ep.  The Meg thing this week was hillarious!

Remember when South Park took the piss.  Cartman was saying all it is - is Peter saying "that's like the time when" well, FG are going to retaliate in time.  Seth said just because it takes us 10 months to make a show and it takes them two mins lol

Even the Simpsons has had a go at FG which proves that the competition is scared.  They've made lots of episodes now and they're still funny...

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 32
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 12/7/2007 6:35:31 PM   
Caster

"The US Army...Awwwww yeah"

The bit that really made me laugh this week was Stewy telling Brian about something Peter did, and you expect a clip but there wasn't one.  "No clip?  Is there gonna be a clip for that?  No?...Oh"

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 33
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 12/7/2007 7:14:11 PM   
krudler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0RqENlmQs

made me laugh anyway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 34
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 12/7/2007 7:38:18 PM   
theoriginalcynic

That's hillarious Krudler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpm6tqnEw5s&mode=related&search=

Last weeks episodes - best of Stewie.  Be warned contains scenes from future eps too...but not many

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 12/7/2007 8:25:51 PM >

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 35
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 10:35:58 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

It depends on your pov, to me Family Guy hasn't dropped the ball at all and still makes me laugh more then anything currently on TV.  Most sitcoms aren't funny and don't make me laugh out loud, atleast FG has a few moments of genuis in each ep.  The Meg thing this week was hillarious!

Yea, see I thought that was dumb and over done
quote:

Remember when South Park took the piss.  Cartman was saying all it is - is Peter saying "that's like the time when" well, FG are going to retaliate in time.  Seth said just because it takes us 10 months to make a show and it takes them two mins lol

Yea see I don't find that funny whatsoever
quote:

Even the Simpsons has had a go at FG which proves that the competition is scared.  They've made lots of episodes now and they're still funny...

Family Guy has seriously dropped in quality, its inevitable, eventually their brand of gag runs out. Seasons 1-3 were untouchable, 4 was outstanding in small places, but after that, man the quality has nosedived. Chris isn't funny, Meg has nothing to contribute and Lois is limited. Its all Peter Stewie and Brian and well, that can't go on forever either. Maybe they need to use Quagmire Joe etc more, but as it is, its losing its shine for me.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

Post #: 36
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 12:24:05 PM   
Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Family Guy has seriously dropped in quality, its inevitable, eventually their brand of gag runs out. Seasons 1-3 were untouchable, 4 was outstanding in small places, but after that, man the quality has nosedived. Chris isn't funny, Meg has nothing to contribute and Lois is limited. Its all Peter Stewie and Brian and well, that can't go on forever either. Maybe they need to use Quagmire Joe etc more, but as it is, its losing its shine for me.

Agreed, the style is limited, it's the same gag over and over; "just like the time when"- cue everyday situation, obscure celebrity and wacky outcome. Repeat 3-5 times per 22 minute episode.

I like Family Guy, just compared to South Park and The Simpsons it's fairly limited

"Manchester United is the club, it is football. A culture of the “beau jeu”, a philosophy that has been existing for years. How to win with class. I am still madly in love with it."
Eric Cantona

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 37
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 12:28:21 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L0RqENlmQs

made me laugh anyway

While l do think S4 & 5 of FG were really average, I must say that was fuckin hilarious!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 38
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 12:33:53 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

Yea see I don't find that funny whatsoever

Got to agree there, infact that comment works in South Parks favour. South Park episodes take them a week to make, Family Guy takes 10 months, yet quality wise and comedy wise South Park pisses all over anything Family Guy has produced over the last few years. The recent seasons are just rehashes of old jokes, such as the chicken fight, Peter hurting his knee followed by him sitting down moaning for about a minute, the random 'This is worse than the time...' jokes have been so over done now it's beyond belief. And also stuff like the old paedophile, which they now seem to rely on in every episode.

The show was better off cancelled, it would have been remembered as a show with 3 quality seasons, it's not been the same since. Unfortunately I'm worried Futurama is going to suffer from a similar fate, I just seriously hope it doesn't.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 13/7/2007 12:37:50 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 39
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 12:53:51 PM   
theram05

They're bringing Futurama back? To be honest I was never a fan.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 40
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 4:17:11 PM   
furrybastard

Famnily Guy did have a joke about South Park in its last season - it just wasn't very funny. That Star Wars stuff was pretty cool though.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 41
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 6:21:47 PM   
theoriginalcynic

The reason the show is concentrating more on Peter, Brian and Stewie is because that's what the audience wants.  It's an old writer trick, let the charachters that stand out have most of the screen time.  The point of bringing the chicken gag, knee gag back is to give the audience more of what they found funny.  Like "oh, this is gonna be good the chicken bit was hillarious last time"  I don't agree with whoever said that South Park pisses all over Family Guy.  SP is boring now and way past it's sell by date, plus the animation has and always will be really poor.  The Simpsons is nowhere near up to standard anymore (hope the movies good) so, out of the three Family Guy and Stewie are currently the best...

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 42
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 6:33:42 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

It's an old writer trick, let the charachters that stand out have most of the screen time.  The point of bringing the chicken gag, knee gag back is to give the audience more of what they found funny.  Like "oh, this is gonna be good the chicken bit was hillarious last time" 

Or its like "shit we have totally run out of ideas. What was funny in prevoius seasons? oooh that knee thing, lets use that again. And the chicken fight! lets bring that back, that was hilarious, we could use up a good 5 minutes with that again"

The trouble is, it isn't funny second time, its a pisspoor rehash from a show that clearly has run out of steam. Honestly, if I wanted to see the Chicken Fight thing again, I would stick my bloody DVD on.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 43
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 13/7/2007 6:39:42 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I see it the opposite way, the chicken fight was funny first time.  Lets see how thay do it differently the second time, every comedy show repeats jokes, catchphrases ect... that were successful first time.  You keep saying family guy has dropped in quality, sorry just don't see it  Still, funny after five years, hit and miss jokes as always... but when they hit the jokes can have you laughing for ages.

The only thing I have against the show is that sometimes they go too far.   I don't agree with the Aids song, the Stephen Hawking scenes or some of the religious gags.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 44
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 14/7/2007 10:30:42 PM   
Caster

That Star Wars spoof sums up why Family Guy is funny for me.  It's riskier than The Simpsons (which hasn't been funny for years now) and more scattershot than South Park, which for me got old real quick.  But I like all three.

Sure, it's hit and miss, but when it hits it hits it out of the park.

Post #: 45
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 15/7/2007 12:15:10 AM   
furrybastard

I did enjoy the Star Wars stuff but it is a gimmick, isn't it? Spoofing Star Wars ain't that hard now. Stewie's entrance was fantastic, all the same 

I think it's going down a similar road to The Simpsons where they just run out of steam at what it is they do. The thing about South Park is that it became funnier as it went on and they moved away from the more juvenile, kids cursing kind of stuff and introduced much more surreal and topical elements into the show (though still keeping some of that juvenile humour!). Of course some people feel it's too preachy sometimes; a fact which Matt and Trey have admitted to. What I like about it is that they are willing to actually take on their targets and really break them down rather than just take random potshots like FG does. Their Scientology episode is probably the most famous example I can use here. That episode was probably more effective at undermining Scientology than all the articles, investigations and court cases put together.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 46
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 15/7/2007 1:32:18 PM   
theoriginalcynic

That's why I like FG because it takes randomn potshots.  I want to check my brain at the door, not think too hard and laugh my arse off... that's what the show does

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 47
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 15/7/2007 3:57:20 PM   
krudler

see the thing with family guy is that it may as well be a sketch show,i honestly cant remember a single plot for an episode,everyone remembers bits or funny gags but i couldnt tell you what episode they happened in, whereas the simpsons (in its prime) south park and futurama at least have plots for their episodes that set up the jokes not just random movie spoofs and american pop culture references,family guy is funny,but it wont stand the test of time as the humour is too culture based, whereas the simpsons,is,was and always will be the best ainmated sitcom,nay sitcom period ever made

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

Post #: 48
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 17/7/2007 11:51:02 PM   
timomouse

Two actual good episodes tonight...well, a series of excellent one liners crowbarred in with the pretence of forming some kind of plot, but whatever. I laughed.

Post #: 49
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 18/7/2007 1:06:04 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Two funny episodes, the girl voiced by Drew Barrymoore was great stuff.  Stewie with the mix tape in Brians car was good too... overall well worth my time

(in reply to timomouse)
Post #: 50
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 19/7/2007 1:29:56 AM   
Rgirvan44

I always get the feeling that whenever the South Park episodes about Family Guy come up people tend to miss the point. Even in the show many characters enjoy it, the only one who really hates it is Cartman.

It does have a point about the overuse of "Remember the time when?" scenes which I noticed Family Guy did make a comment about "What? No clip?"

But the main issue South Park has is summed up in Cartmans rant. Its not that they hate the show, they understand why people like it, they just don't want to be compared to it as they have nothing in common - check out the scene with Bart as well for more evidence. They also acknowledge that South Park can be preachy at times but because its done as a cartoon suddenly it is held up next to these other cartoons, none of which have much in common (well the Simpsons and Family Guy have) beyond being animated. As a sidenote I loved how they showed the 'King of The Hill' staff just working away quietly in the background...

Whats brilliant about it is that the episodes all about the Muhammad stuff but no one rememebers it, or the Jesus shitting on the American flag, as they are too busy arguing over the merits of the two cartoons.

I haven't watched Family Guy for a while, the last few seasons were pretty bad (Herbert is the most overused joke in any comedy for many a year) and the stuff I saw of the Stars Wars thing only confirmed how bad it had gotten. Which makes it the more of a surprise to see how much I enjoyed the two episodes that were on this week - it reminded me of the first three seasons. Very much based on the characters rather than easy pop culture jokes and the banter between Stewie and Brian is always good. I love how the acknowledge that Meg is not liked by the audience so make her popular by having the family hate her.  

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 51
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 22/7/2007 8:23:52 PM   
welshleon

Anyone notice that it's ALWAYS  the first episode of the double bill that has the most laughs? Or is it me? Maybe I'm just getting old and am too tired by the time it's on...
FG hasn't been as funny this time around, so far. Nothing to top Stewie singing 'In the air tonight' in the Poltergheist pastiche last season anyhow. But it's still one of the funniest things on telly at the moment.

"Those aren't pillows!"

"I know kung fu"

"Stop pointing that gun at my dad!"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 52
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 31/7/2007 10:44:10 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Brian sings a song.  Stewie to Brian "who sings that song?" Brian says artist... 

Stewie "yeah, lets keep it that way" lmfao ha ha ha ha ha nice dance routine too

(in reply to welshleon)
Post #: 53
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 31/7/2007 11:20:06 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

im bloody missing it all the time, why do i always forget!

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 54
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 1/8/2007 7:21:55 PM   
xim123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

Because it's on at such stupid times

My Film Diary

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 55
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 1/8/2007 8:52:41 PM   
theoriginalcynic

It's repeated - I think on Sunday night.  I like the timeslot it has as it doesn't clash with what i'm watching at 9

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 56
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 2/8/2007 1:08:28 AM   
Rotary Ten

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

Because being an American comedy that isn't The Simpsons, the BBC can't be bothered to promote it, and is always switching the timeslots around and not advertising it.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 57
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 2/8/2007 1:24:00 AM   
the anomaly

Ill just have to get it on DVD like the rest. DVD sales/rentals is why its still going anyway.

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 58
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 15/8/2007 12:46:46 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

I managed to catch some of this last night. The episode with Bill Clinton, and the episode where Peter opens his own restaurant. So, so funny!

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 59
RE: Family Guy on BBC Three - 15/8/2007 12:54:22 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Shock I only caught the last episode and I thought it was more offensive then funny.  Shame...hope it's not starting to go downhill.  Brian and Stewie are my favourite charachters and they were hardly in it.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Family Guy on BBC Three Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI