Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Life On Mars (The US Version)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Life On Mars (The US Version) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Life On Mars (The US Version) - 2/7/2007 2:41:38 PM   
Timon

As with most things, a US remake of the hit series Life on Mars is going into production.

Jason O'Mara (TV's "In Justice," "Men in Trees," "The Agency") is set to star in the lead role of the US remake of "Life on Mars" reports Variety.

O'Mara will play Sam Tyler, a detective who is suddenly transported to the 1970s - where he encounters a serial killer who may have something to do with the present-day abduction of his girlfriend.

Canadian actress Rachelle Lefevre (TV's "What About Brian," "Life on a Stick") has been cast in the female lead role of Det. Annie Cartwright.

The original British series ran on the BBC for sixteen episodes across two seasons in 2006 and earlier this year. It starred John Simm ("Sex Traffic," TV's "State of Play" & "Doctor Who") and has become an award-winning international hit.

Edited versions of the original series still air on BBC America. The remake, being produced by David E. Kelley ("Boston Legal," "Ally McBeal"), begins production mid-August and if picked up will air sometime mid-season.

Not sure how the US version will handle this to be fair? Will it just turn from CSI into Starsky and Hutch? Either way, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. I was a big fan of Life Of Mars....and I still have yet to see the second series!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 2/7/2007 4:49:15 PM   
Joedini

I would have thought a remake woul be out of the question seeing as the big explanation has been revealed now. Unless Kelley is going to change the ending...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 2/7/2007 5:42:54 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Don't hold your breath for this. It's been 'rolled' from the 2007/2008 season to 2008/2009 which isn't a good sign. If the networks weren't confident enough to go for it hot off the huge UK success, then momentum can only be lost by it rolling on a year.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 3
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 2/7/2007 8:27:49 PM   
elab49

I'd have thought a more significant problem would be that they don't have an iconic show like the Sweeney, i.e. the attitudes, as a touchbase.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 4
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 2/7/2007 8:38:05 PM   
Filmic Joe

quote:

don't have an iconic show like the Sweeney, i.
quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd have thought a more significant problem would be that they don't have an iconic show like the Sweeney, i.e. the attitudes, as a touchbase.

I think they're going for Starskjy and Hutch, that kind of thing.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 2/7/2007 8:47:07 PM   
Captain Black

I agree, though it's not their only problem as I see it. I wondered what sort of cop shows they might have from that era to use. They might have had an easier time if they'd set it in the '80s: Miami Vice would certainly be a significant example. But they clearly are setting it in th '70s and Ashes To Ashes will have come along by that point.

Do you think a US network will be brave enough to keep it as ambiguous as it is? Or, as I suspect, will they make it clear that it's a conventional time travel show after a fairly short period of time?

Then there's David E Kelley. Now, I must confess I do quite like Boston Legal - mostly to see Shatner hamming it up like a lord (quelle surprise) - but I think his tone, that sort of forced quirkiness he seems to emply, is all wrong for this.

And of course, a pair of actors as strong as Glenister and Simm isn't going to be easy to live up to - the whole characterisation of Hunt surely (surely!) can't be replicated using either US sensibilities or the aforementioned attitude from shows of the '70s as a reference.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 3/7/2007 9:46:17 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmic Joe

I think they're going for Starskjy and Hutch, that kind of thing.

Problem is they continue to have that kind of double act on an ongoing basis. There isn't anything that is considered quite as shocking as they attitudes as the Sweeney - it is all very cosy. I had to explain a lot of this to a couple of US friends because they much as they loved the quality of the UK show they just didn't have the same reference base for comparison for the cop going back.

Put it this way. Why would they have a culture shock going back 40 years when the best comparison they've got to The Sweeney is actually a current show - The Shield!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 7
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 16/8/2007 10:12:02 AM   
Timon

Apparantly Colm Meaney (Deep Space Nine, Con Air, Layer Cake) has been cast as Gene Hunt!

That's inspired! I love Colm Meaney. Have no idea how this series is going to translate but I can just see Colm kicking in nonces Hunt-style!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 16/8/2007 10:36:08 AM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Apparantly Colm Meaney (Deep Space Nine, Con Air, Layer Cake) has been cast as Gene Hunt!

That's inspired! I love Colm Meaney. Have no idea how this series is going to translate but I can just see Colm kicking in nonces Hunt-style!

This now has the potential to be the greatest remake ever...!

Still won't reach the heights of the original of course, but still...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 16/8/2007 10:56:42 AM   
hozay

If they're after a fitting 70's feel then something like Dirty Harry would be a better starting point than Starsky and Hutch.Gene Hunt is a lot more like Harry than he is the rather lame S&H and he treats Tyler the way Harry treated his partners.
The emphasis is on "staring point" of course.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 10
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 16/8/2007 12:17:23 PM   
Steves Face

I think a lot of Life on Mars' appeal and plots was in pieces of nostaliga and their relevance/irrelevance in a modern UK context, so for a British audience to enjoy a US spin off it would have to take a completely different direction, or we just wouldnt 'get' it.
The IRA episode and the football hooliganism one in particular. An American audience simply wouldnt enjoy that on the same level as a British one would. And this will be the case for a British audience if the format is duplicated across the pond.

It has to be a character development frenzy or just filled with explosions. Personally i think it will suck, us Brits love obsessing over the past more than our neighbours do.

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 11
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 16/8/2007 12:21:28 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Chief O'Brien's a legend!

Meaney plays a very Gene Hunt like copper in Intermission maybe that's what got him the role.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 18/8/2007 11:44:42 AM   
spark1

david kelly 's obsesssion with boston means boston irish cops on loose in '70s.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 13
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 5:46:55 PM   
Captain Black

Trailer.

Ouch, that looks really bad. And if it does anything less than hit the ground running then, for a genre bending premise like this, it'll be cancelled quickly.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 14
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 5:54:14 PM   
Timon

Looks like a shot for shot remake, much like the first episode of The US Office was. Hopefully, it'll find its own way but it does look very......um.....stylised.

Still on the fence about it.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 15
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 6:21:02 PM   
Dave B

That looks pretty shocking. The guy playing Sam Tyler looks bored.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 6:41:32 PM   
Wedge

It doesn't look too bad.  If I hadn't seen the UK version, then I'd be interested.  Just seems a bit less sophisticated than the original, it's lighter in tone and the period design isn't as convincing.  Plus, the lead actor doesn't seem to have enough charisma, if you ask me.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 17
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 6:52:45 PM   
Mikey C

Hey look! It's Chief O'Brian!

Which ones meant to be Hunt? It's interesting that they're putting little focus on him since he's the "breakout" character of the original.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 18
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 6:55:51 PM   
James2183

That looked pretty bad. Sam Tyler looks too 'beefy' and far too over theatrical, whilst the girl who plays Anne seems too distressed and convinced of Tylers quest.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 19
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 7:24:49 PM   
KennyM

"Voiceover man" ruins it. "He's the same cop, but he may as well be on another planet". It all sounds a bit to serious. I loved the light-heartedness of the original and lets be honest, they wont top Philip Glenister or John Simm

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 20
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 8:44:34 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

If they are going to do it almost shot for shot like the trailer suggests then it all seems very pointless.  

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 21
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 10:05:27 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Voiceover man made that look like one of the Grindhouse trailers, and not in a good way, unless it's meant to be a comedy. Agree with Wedge that the period look is wrong, it's too parodical of US 70s cop shows, whereas the original struck a balance between 70s styles with a contemporary look. Meaney's accent seems to be a concern - I think it's the first time I've seen him in anything where he doesn't sound Irish - I'd kinda hoped they'd have kept him doing that (BTW, Mikey C, Meaney's playing Hunt if you didn't get that from the trailer). Don't really care that the first ep will be roughly shot for shot, most of the episodes will be new stories anyway, but if it does become a hit, they'll have to rework it fairly quickly from the version we've seen here for an original series fan to have any interest.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 22
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 10:48:07 PM   
elab49

Mmmm. No. Doesn't really relieve the worry expressed in all the posts elsewhere. She looks and sounds far too modern and what is Meaney doing with his voice? Didn't get a feel for Hunt at all. And it looked more Police Squad than Starsky and Hutch.

What will be interesting though is how they sell, say, beating up suspects as retro when people can watch The Wire and The Shield and know that's bull.

quote:

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 23
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 14/5/2008 11:39:25 PM   
The Mighty

That trailer was awful, but I'm still interested in seeing how this will turn out, without the cheesy music and voice over. Hopefully it will try and do it's own thing, and not just be a longer version of the UK series. I haven't seen Jason O'Mara in much, but he was excellent in his recent 2 episode stint on Grey's Anatomy.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 15/5/2008 7:23:04 AM   
Wedge

I wonder if actual time travel will be involved in this one?  The answer to 'is it a dream' etc, could be very different.  Likewise for the final ending.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 25
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 15/5/2008 8:28:33 AM   
elab49

It would be interesting to see if US network TV has the balls to keep the suicide in.

But doesn't O'Mara normally do soapy crap like Grey's Anatomy and Men in Trees? Hardly confidence inspiring - I honestly think the part needed a great actor to really work it which was why Simm was so essential (and one of the reasons Ashes to Ashes ultimately fell apart).

quote:

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 26
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 15/5/2008 10:49:29 AM   
shane.knight

SHOCKING!!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 15/5/2008 7:16:31 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Hardly confidence inspiring - I honestly think the part needed a great actor to really work it which was why Simm was so essential (and one of the reasons Ashes to Ashes ultimately fell apart).

It's very hard to cast an American version of Sam Tyler though - not that I'm pro Jason O'Mara, he looked like The Rock in that trailer! Any suggestions?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 16/5/2008 12:00:59 AM   
elab49

Interesting question. I do think there are some great actors on US TV (even if they might be in pretty bad TV series - stand up and be counted Mr Sinise!). And I think if people like Glenn Close can step down it open more options. And plenty of great actors in shows like The Wire, too.

quote:

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 29
RE: Life On Mars (The US Version) - 16/5/2008 1:12:07 AM   
The Mighty

quote:

It would be interesting to see if US network TV has the balls to keep the suicide in.

But doesn't O'Mara normally do soapy crap like Grey's Anatomy and Men in Trees? Hardly confidence inspiring - I honestly think the part needed a great actor to really work it which was why Simm was so essential (and one of the reasons Ashes to Ashes ultimately fell apart).

I haven't seen O'Mara in Men in Trees, but as I said above, he was very good in Grey's Anatomy. It's a bit hard to judge how he'll do in the role based on this trailer. Hopefully his performance won't be John Simm redux. The only way I see this remake being interesting is if they do their own thing. It does look from the trailer that the pilot is a near scene for scene remake, but after that I hope the show goes in a different direction. Otherwise, I can't see it stretching beyond a season or two.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Life On Mars (The US Version) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI