Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: it was alright

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: it was alright Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: it was alright - 29/12/2008 1:47:43 PM   
Geldart

my problems with this film:

a bald john mclane-i would have rather seen him have hair with grey temples

booze and fag free- not even a mention of how and why he quit

shit villains- all the films before this one had good casting for villains. iv'e had farts scarier than these ones.

no fucking swearing- and shit is not a real swear word- the bible says so.

no vest- just a shite green .....thing

annoying sidekick-justin long? more like justin WRONG! give me al powell or sammy jackson any day!

just general shit casting- fbi agents played by ex vulcans.

not saying this film didn't try, it did , it really did. it just failed. i was pissed off to say the least.
die hard, indiana jones, any more of my childhood heroes you wanna fuck up?
ooh i know, ghostbusters...........

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 181
RE: In a word- COOL! - 29/12/2008 2:00:57 PM   
Geldart

quote:

ORIGINAL: joanna likes films

Wow, this movie is so cool. Once again, Bruce Willis shines as John Mcclane, he even has his own sidekick for goodness sake! It's got funny lines, the action is shocking yet tense and you can't take your eyes off the screen. The bad guy, Timothy Olyphant, oozed deadly charmisa that even I was charmed! Great movie, though it didn't live up to the other three but still a cool film with extra bite!

just take everything this person says, and make it the total OPPOSITE of what i think of this. I LOVED the first one. john mclane was one of my childhood heroes. for wankers like len "i'm fucking kate beckinsale" wiseass to shit on him like this , makes my blood boil. and the worst thing is , you got bruce willis saying "oh yeah, this is the best one since the first, maybe better". yeah right, bruce. we all know your just trying to recapture your youth so just... grow up. i've tried to like this film.really(seen it 4 times) ,but i just can't except the obvious flaws(mclane's image, shite casting ect.) sorry to sound harsh but as i said , childhood fucking hero, man.

ps. great special effects and things going boom do not a great film make(take note lucas)----they help, but do not complete a great film.

< Message edited by Geldart -- 5/4/2009 7:20:54 PM >
Post #: 182
RE: In a word- COOL! - 29/12/2008 2:05:18 PM   
Geldart

edit

< Message edited by Geldart -- 5/4/2009 7:21:22 PM >

(in reply to Geldart)
Post #: 183
RE: In a word- COOL! - 30/12/2008 11:55:20 AM   
Geldart

edit

< Message edited by Geldart -- 5/4/2009 7:21:51 PM >

(in reply to Geldart)
Post #: 184
RE: In a word- COOL! - 5/4/2009 3:51:58 PM   
st3veebee

Missed it at the cinema and finally got round to watching it yesterday. Firstly I am a massive fan of the the Die Hard series with no. 1 being one of the greatest films ever. Needless to say I went into this unsure of what to expect: Bruce is getting on a bit and with a digital edge added to a very nuts and bolts action series I was a little bit sceptical. 
    OK so its not a patch on the first (what is?) and it has its flaws but I honestly couldn't get the huge grin off my face when the credits rolled. Bruce is still the man, looking at ease pummelling various henchmen into pulp and jumping and falling around-a lot, while Long joining him is an unexpected plus (I never really cared for him). I'm not bothered going into a higly detailed review so I'm going to now opt for the PRO CON review:

PROS
-Willis kicks ass
-Most impressive action sequences of recent years.
-Justin Long is a welcome addition
- Sticks to the simple action film notion
-Just plain entertaining

CONS
-Timothy Olyphant is the most uninspired bad guy just about ever
-Bruce's vest isn't as cool as usual ( in fact I'm not even sure it is a vest)
-Plot is just plain silly, but I can let that go, even if a 50+ year old is kicking about 50 young mens asses all day long

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Geldart)
Post #: 185
RE: In a word- COOL! - 5/4/2009 11:18:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

Got round to watching the unrated version. Still got a lot of problems but enjoyed it a lot more than I remember- think allowing the actors to drop a few f bombs here and there made it a bit more fun.

The villians are still prety dull, but Willis gives it his best.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 186
Great Fun - 5/3/2010 1:04:10 PM   
Hillsman

Die Hard was the first action film to have me jumping off the sofa & screaming with delight, cheering the demise of those evil bad guys who thoroughly deserved the bullets / beating / explosion that came their way. It was adrenaline pumping, nail biting stuff that prompted the sort of aggressive response that action films and computer games alike have been criticised for in the past. With Die Hard 4.0, I was cheering and swearing again and generally getting far too carried away. Sure, it was ridiculous and some of the SFX (specifically the CGI) were lacklustre, but all-in-all, this was thoroughly entertaining action-fare!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 187
- 13/6/2010 10:18:30 PM   
TheGodfather

Live Free or Die Hard
If you`d look up the expression "over the top" in the dictionary you`d see that there would be the synopsis of the fourth installment in the Die Hard series.
Not only is the story pretty far fetched, the action sequences are truly redicoulous. The speed is really high and Willis what he did in the previous three films and how we`d love to see him. Only downside to the film is Timothy Olyphant as the villain. He never really is convincing as a bad guy. But other than that, this is a pretty damn fine fourth Die Hard film.

7,5/10

Post #: 188
Underrated. - 23/8/2010 4:24:27 PM   
stevolegendbauer

Yes, you could say that 4.0 is to OTT and far off from what made the first film so good, but it actually fits perfectly into the series, as the films have gone along they have continuously got bigger and more OTT, if not neccesarily better. So 4.0 cant even hopes of reaching the highs of Willis's first outing but fits in well with the other sequels.
The plot, focusing on computer hackers shutting down America cyberly, is alot more high concept and more complex than the previous films more traditional terrorism but is intriging. Justin Long is perfect as the smartallek computer genius and Oliphant is a good villian and plays well off Willis's wisecracking. Brucey himself may be alot older but still delivers all the action believably and uses oldschool resourcefullness and brute strength against his enemies who use fighting skills more in key to todays action films, karate and parkour.
The action is as good as ever, with cars been thrown at helicopters, apartments blown up, enemies rammed down elevater shafts and scrambling over fighter jets. There is more CGI than its predeccesors but sticks mostly to practical effects.
A fitting ending to one of the greatest action series in cinema. Yippee-ki-yay

Post #: 189
ho-hum - 27/8/2010 5:15:30 PM   
Spacegoat

Not that bad but not that good either, I had the feeling the whole way through that I was watching a film with a plot straight out of the 90's, complete with lame 'hacker' sub-plot, and thanks to the Empire review I see that's exactly what it is. As a stand-alone film it might've scraped a 3, but considering where this series started off it's a 2 at most, I doubt I'd bother watching it again. I miss Hans Gruber.

Post #: 190
McClane Security Co. - 29/9/2010 8:47:59 PM   
bnicholson50

The scale of Die Hard movies has now reached OTT. Time to scale it back. John McClane is a fully formed character at this point. He has alcohol and marital difficulties compounded by baddies who want to kill him. Time to capitalize. Am I the only one who wants to see John McClane as a broken down ex-cop working as a low rent security guard or private dick?

Post #: 191
Die Hard 4.0 Review - 17/1/2012 11:44:59 PM   
the film man

Die Hard 4.0 is an efficient, action-packed summer popcorn flick with thrilling stunts and a commanding performance by Bruce Willis. Fans of the previous Die Hard films will definetly not be disappointed.

Post #: 192
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: it was alright Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI