Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 10/10/2011 2:25:35 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Just started this myself - loved the first episode, I think i'm in for a treat

Believe me you are in for a treat.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 91
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 26/10/2011 10:22:50 PM   
Chojin

Finished S2 this evening - bloody hell this show is brilliant. Loved Season 2, it was a step up from the first - armadillo, the heist it was great!

highlights for me were the armadillo torture scene and the entire flashback episode Co-Pilot. I'm looking forward to what S3 has in store for me

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 92
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 27/10/2011 7:25:16 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Finished S2 this evening - bloody hell this show is brilliant. Loved Season 2, it was a step up from the first - armadillo, the heist it was great!

highlights for me were the armadillo torture scene and the entire flashback episode Co-Pilot. I'm looking forward to what S3 has in store for me

It gets even more intense believe me

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 93
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 6/12/2011 11:51:35 AM   
Chojin

I finished Season 7 last night. My thoughts:

Best Season - Season 5. Forest Whitaker was a great addition to the cast and this season was the easily the most tense season and it reminded me a lot of Dexter with you never knowing whether the anti-hero was going to be taken down. This season was most excellent

Worst Season - Season 4. Glenn Close was terrible, I could never see her as a tough ball breaking take no shit cop. It was bad casting and luckily she only lasted the one season. It was also the start of splitting up the strike team which was always going to be a bad thing. After Shane and Vic's showdown at the end of S3 I was expecting big things from S4...

Funniest Moment - Season 6 Episode 0

Vic: He went for me so I had to take him down old school style
Dutch: What, like Medieval?

Overall it was a great bit of TV, but it did drag on a bit and lost a lot of the excitement from S5.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 94
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 22/12/2011 12:56:49 AM   
Le Tenia

Just watched the first episode. Can honestly say my jaw was just about on the floor. What a show.

Not sure if i like Mackey yet, but really impressive stuff.

Also noted that that Kurt Sutter from Sons of Anarchy fame was part of the writing team on this.

" It's the age-old irony of the liberal left, they practice oppression and call it equality. "

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 95
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 22/12/2011 10:59:40 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tenia

Just watched the first episode. Can honestly say my jaw was just about on the floor. What a show.

Also noted that that Kurt Sutter from Sons of Anarchy fame was part of the writing team on this.

His character is a bit like Walt from Breaking Bad in that you find some of his stuff detestable but you kind of root for him occasionally and can't wait to see what he does next.

(in reply to Le Tenia)
Post #: 96
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 22/12/2011 11:29:57 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Le Tenia

His character is a bit like Walt from Breaking Bad in that you find some of his stuff detestable but you kind of root for him occasionally and can't wait to see what he does next.

Yeah, this dichotomy is at the centre of Vic's character.  The guy who will do anything for his family and friends, who won't rest until he's locked up child killers, who has a particular dislike for women-beaters is the same guy who won't think twice about putting a bit of lead in someone's ear for threatening to expose the crimes he committs.  Kinda like a Bud White for the new millennium.  I honestly think he's one of the best characters ever created, and Chiklis' performance is usually nothing short of outstanding.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 97
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 15/4/2012 9:50:28 PM   
Sutty

I think it is stunning work from the writers and creators that they were able to take the lead character, have him kill a fellow cop in the first episode, and STILL have you want to follow him over 7 seasons and THEN ROOT FOR HIM!

Chiklis has an amazing screen presence in The Shield, and really anchored the show while giving the likes of Walton Goggins, Jay Karnes, and Kenny Johnson the opportunity to shine.

This is STILL the greatest tv series I have ever seen. Awesome, truly awesome.

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 98
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 27/10/2012 6:01:56 PM   
Sutty

I have recently began the whole saga from ep 1 recently and was struck by how much the serial killer from Dragon Chasers (the fella who killed the prostitutes and Dutch catches) was based on Ted Bundy. From his look, demeanor, M.O, and background. Very interesting.

I'm up to series 3 again already (only taken me a week...) and as fantastic as Series 1 and 2 are, they fell a bit light in comparison to what I know is coming later down the line. It's kinda sad watching some of it now. Boy those guys were tight...

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 99
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 1/6/2013 4:22:45 PM   
Rinc

Spoilers ahead!

Just finished watching The Shield and absolutely loved it. Like others have said it got better with each season. The best thing about the show is that it messes with your head with who to root for. At times I was rooting for Vic, at times for Shane, at times Acevada etc. Although I was always rooting for Dutch and Wyms.

The final fate for Vic is particularly good. Even though I wanted a blaze of glory it's more fitting that he has everything he knows and loves taken away from him. Really sad fate for Shane and his family too. Glad Corinne has got what looks like a happy life ahead of her though.

It's hard to pick a favourite character but I'd have to go with Dutch. A brilliant, big headed but loyal guy whose friendship with Wyms was really touching. Wyms herself is brilliant and they're probably the two detectives Vic didn't want after him. Plus nobody says 'bullshit' as well as Wyms. Shame there wasn't a wrap up to the teenage serial killer storyline but then I suppose that's the nature of crime in the show - it's never ending. The strike team were all great characters, Lem was obviously the nicest of them! Billings was funny and I liked looking at Tina. Kavanaugh was a brilliantly creepy cop whilst Antoine Mitchell was an infuriatingly arrogant bellend.

Favourite scene has to be Shane killing Lem. I knew something was going to happen but I didn't expect it that way and the way it was handled was fantastic. Claudette showing Vic the photos in the final episode was also excellent.

Too many great moments to remember! Shame it's over, but now I can actually have a life again after watching it pretty much non stop for the last 5 days. I don't think it's on the level of The Wire due to The Wire's complexity but this is still in my top 10 of all time.

< Message edited by Rinc -- 1/6/2013 4:24:53 PM >

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 100
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 1/6/2013 4:45:44 PM   
matty_b

Nice write up, Rinc. I'm hoping to start a rewatch of The Shield this year.

Dutch was always my favourite character. Intelligent and great at his job, but just a touch too cocky for his own good and was such a sad sack in his personal life that it made him too much of an easy for target for Vic.

But he's still responsible for two of my favourite moments - catching the serial killer he's been after (can't remember the character's name, but he was played by CJ from the Dawn of the Dead remake) and having a breakdown in his car shortly after, and the bit with the cat. Brr....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 101
RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed - 1/6/2013 5:05:05 PM   
Rinc

Agreed, they were two great moments. Dutch getting the applause from everyone and then breaking down reallu summed up the brilliance and the humanity of his character. And the bit wit the cat...

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 102
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Shield series 6 - UK speed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI