Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 9:26:08 AM   
The Hooded Man

All this internet hype reminds me of Snakes On A Plane.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 61
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 9:30:04 AM   
Castor Troy

I can't get excited by it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's too similar to War Of The Worlds and/or Blair Witch Project. The things that the film is relying on so far as being different are that it's from the point of view of one/a group of people (WOTW) and that it's done on a video camera (BWP) - it's been done before really.

And secondly, from that trailer it hasn't been done very well in terms of realism, because the quality is too good, the camera is too steady and the acting isn't natural enough. It just feels like a normal film sometimes.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 62
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 9:33:34 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

I can't get excited by it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's too similar to War Of The Worlds and/or Blair Witch Project

See for me, that's two reasons to get excited right there. Loved War of the Worlds and only saw Blair Witch for the first time five or so years ago once all the hype had died down and really enjoyed it.

I reckon it could work, but it all comes down to how they do it. I mean if you're being chased by a giant monster, you're not going to turn around to film it are you?

Either way, that 'roar' sounded fantastic.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 63
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 9:57:30 AM   
Dave B

I really hope the trailers show us next to nothing, it would be a shame to destroy the sense of mystery surrrounding the film. It might also be an interesting idea not to show the monster in the film at all, make it more character based. That probably won't happen though. 

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 64
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 10:04:14 AM   
jonathan74

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

www.davestrailerpage.co.uk

Some cryptic words from Abrams;

Regarding the online stuff you posted: yeah, we're doing some fun stuff on the web. But, obviously, if the movie doesn't kick some massive ASS, who gives a rat's about what's online? So as you can imagine, we're focusing mostly on THAT. For what it's worth, the only site of ours that people have even FOUND is the 1-18-08.com site. The others (like the Ethan Haas sites) have nothing to do with us.

The EthanHaaswasright.com and EthanHaaswaswrong.blogspot.com websites are widely believed to be part of the movie, generally because Paramount asked YouTube to remove videos taken from the EthanHaaswasright.com. Why they had them removed is a mystery now, much like what or where the other site(s) are that Abrams mentions above.

Not that I disbelieve you, but what is the source of that quote?  I can't find it on the linked website.

Do you really care about the last 5 movies I watched?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 65
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 10:09:27 AM   
Timon

Aintitcool.com

Daves Trailer Page was for Shifty Bench who was after the trailers....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to jonathan74)
Post #: 66
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 10:12:13 AM   
jonathan74

Ah.  Thanks!

Do you really care about the last 5 movies I watched?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 67
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 10:56:55 AM   
holty23

Im with Timon, any similarity with any other film does not bother me in the slightest at the moment.

I don't think it's fair to say it will be like The Blair Witch just because of the use of a handheld camera, either.  It's a technique used brilliantly in BWP, but does that mean i cannot ever be used again?

And i'm not sure the tripods could have picked up and thrown the Statue of Liberty....

Im excited by the way.  Very excited.  

'Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in friggin' charge here.'

(in reply to jonathan74)
Post #: 68
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 12:26:22 PM   
Monkeyshaver

What on earth is this all about? Is it a yank version of The Host? Or is it the long expected big screen version of videogame Rampage?

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to holty23)
Post #: 69
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 3:29:32 PM   
Wentworth

Havent seen so much buzz about a movie in a long time.

As for that website, i cant get past the 3rd lock, with all the lights. Anyone done it?

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 70
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 3:39:00 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

It would be great to see a yank version of The Host although the creature in that wasn't firing off explosive blasts.

(in reply to Wentworth)
Post #: 71
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 3:50:49 PM   
James2183

I do believe there is an American version of The Host currently in production.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 72
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 3:53:45 PM   
The Hooded Man

I've watched the trailer again and don't see why it is generating so much hype. I get the feeling that as soon as we get details of it then interest will wane.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 73
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 3:54:52 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I get the feeling that as soon as we get details of it then interest will wane.

Naturally - I wish that our minds could be completely wiped before seeing some films so we know nothing about them

Post #: 74
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 4:10:29 PM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Naturally - I wish that our minds could be completely wiped before seeing some films so we know nothing about them

Why would you choose to see a film then?
Would you just toss a coin?

Post #: 75
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 4:17:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Why would you choose to see a film then?
Would you just toss a coin?

As long you roughly get the impression it's a quality movie then it's all good - don't tell me too much more. That's why I never read a single review before watching a movie.

Post #: 76
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 5:04:46 PM   
Mojo

I didn't even have a clue about this film until I just saw the trailer on Empire, looks effing sweet.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

Post #: 77
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 5:07:29 PM   
Timon

Sigh.

More people should listen to me. Beginning of this thread. Nothing. Na-da. Me posting for myself. Trailer comes online, oh everyone starts paying attention......

I'm wasted here.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 78
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 5:17:34 PM   
Mojo

To be honest I haven't been an avid poster of most of the Emipre boards for a while now. If I had been, I'd be scouring the boards for whatever films you're promoting Timon. 

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 79
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 5:20:34 PM   
Timon

Yeah, you better be you young rapscallion!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 80
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 6:29:53 PM   
Caster

quote:

The things that the film is relying on so far as being different are that it's from the point of view of one/a group of people (WOTW) and that it's done on a video camera (BWP) - it's been done before really.

Yes but not together.  Seperately we've had invasion movies and handheld Blair-witchy movies but putting such a low budget way of shooting amongst top-grade CGI effects just hasn't been done before.  It's extremely clever; spend peanuts on actors and crew, and all the money goes on FX.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 81
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 6:57:42 PM   
KennyM

trailer looks cool.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 82
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 7:00:57 PM   
MoBiUGeArSkIn

Ahhh crap. Glad to see I'm not the only one who isn't buzzing about this. Thought I was going mental. JJ Abrams... JJ Fucking Abrams... what's with this guy? LOST... Lost is annoying. I hate all the viral stuff that surrounded it for the longest time. The show itself is getting boring. Alias I never paid attention to. MI3 didn't look so hot. And ol' JJ... he wants to Re-Do the ORIGINAL freakin' Star Trek!?

You cannot do those characters again. You cannot reinvent Kirk. You MUST NOT REINVENT KIRK! Lame.

Actually, I could live with all that. What's bothering me about THIS "project" is the Cthulhu references. Now, I usually jump down the throats of elitist twits who don't like seeing their beloved fiction turned into a Hollywood movie. I think adaptions can be done right. But Lovecraft? I mean Del Toro wants to do "At the Mountains of Madness", but that could definately work. Bringing Cthulhu and the Old Ones into modern America?... Seriously? The whole mythos that Lovecraft created only works in the confines of the time period and setting. You can't bring these ideas into the modern world since our understanding of Aliens and "God" just isn't the same as it was back then. You can't have "Jocks" and the army up against a world creating "God." Ya know what I mean?

I hope the Lovecraft references are just marketing fluff to throw us off the trail. I really do.

You're not going crazy, Arthur. You're going sane in a crazy world!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 83
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 7:59:32 PM   
Mr Terrific

An interesting article....just putting together what we know.

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=10985

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to MoBiUGeArSkIn)
Post #: 84
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 8:03:17 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Aintitcool.com

Daves Trailer Page was for Shifty Bench who was after the trailers....

Cheers mate

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 85
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 8:56:47 PM   
holty23

Let's remember that JJ himself has now said (according to Harry anyway) only the 1-18-08 site is legit.

So all we have to go on right now are the site and the teaser.

What the hell do we think the EthanHaas thing is all about then?  Stitch-up to coattail the movie or something else entirely?

'Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in friggin' charge here.'

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 86
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 9:59:18 PM   
Funkyrae

Dunno, but it's a bit of a pisser that they're not connected.  The EthanHaas thing really has me interested.

That's me that is!

(in reply to holty23)
Post #: 87
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 10:07:08 PM   
HIM

Maybe the Ethan Haas sites are purely for Transformers movies as the symbols from the Transformers (see below) match up to the alien alphabet from ethanhaaswasright.com (see below):

Optimus (Look above his eye)

Megatron (Look under his eye and to the left)

Alien Alphabet

They could be something to do with the sequel(s). Maybe August is when they'll reveal details about the sequel such as release date, title or even a teaser trailer? JJ Abrams has stated that the sites are nothing to do with Cloverfield/01.18.08.

< Message edited by HIM -- 10/7/2007 10:09:08 PM >

(in reply to holty23)
Post #: 88
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 11:54:23 PM   
James2183

Some good stuff is popping up on the Rotten Tomatoes forum in regards to the character of Rob. Something about him knowing this was going to happen from his body language when the first roar is heard. Seems quite cool.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 89
RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? - 10/7/2007 11:57:42 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Some good stuff is popping up on the Rotten Tomatoes forum in regards to the character of Rob. Something about him knowing this was going to happen from his body language when the first roar is heard. Seems quite cool.

Yeah, James ..it gets curiouser and curiouser.....not your ordinary monster movie!!!

< Message edited by Mr Terrific -- 11/7/2007 12:01:26 AM >

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: Cloverfield - The Best Kept Secret In Hollywood? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI