Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Burn Notice - Its Not Half Bad

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Burn Notice - Its Not Half Bad Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Burn Notice - Its Not Half Bad - 28/6/2007 5:09:42 PM   
Blunderbuss

Possibly worth checking out once it hits the torrents. The trailer looks half decent and it has the one and only Bruce Campbell in a recurring role. I'm currently in the US on business so I'll check out the first Ep tonight and report back. For more info go to click here

< Message edited by Blunderbuss -- 29/6/2007 2:44:54 PM >

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"
Post #: 1
RE: Burn Notice - Starting tonight on USA Network in th... - 28/6/2007 5:29:19 PM   
discodave101

Looks like it could be harmless fun. And with the mighty Bruce in it how can I possibly miss it! I'll look forward to your review before I watch it.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 2
RE: Burn Notice - Starting tonight on USA Network in th... - 28/6/2007 5:45:35 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blunderbuss

Possibly worth checking out once it hits the torrents. The trailer looks half decent and it has the one and only Bruce Campbell in a recurring role. I'm currently in the US on business so I'll check out the first Ep tonight and report back. For more info go to click here

Well thats me convinced

Post #: 3
RE: Burn Notice - Starting tonight on USA Network in th... - 28/6/2007 5:52:50 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

It's McGyver, basically. But not as good.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 4
RE: Burn Notice - Starting tonight on USA Network in th... - 29/6/2007 3:22:04 PM   
Blunderbuss

As promised here's my review of the first ep of USA Network's new summer show Burn Notice.

For those not familiar with the concept, Burn Notice follows Michael Westen (Jeffrey Donovan), a semi-freelance (he mostly works for the CIA) spy who suddenly finds himself subject to a 'Burn Notice' (hence the title), meaning that he is abandoned by his handlers and becomes persona non-grata within the espionage community. Dumped back in his home town of Miami, without a dollar to his name, he must simultaneously try to keep is head above water financially, deal with his hypochondriac of a Mother (Sharon Gless) and try to find out the reason for the Burn Notice that has thrown his life into turmoil. In order to do the first one he starts taking private security jobs brokered by his old partner Sam (the great Bruce Campbell). The second and third prove a little harder to manage.

The question of course, is whether its any good and the answer, surprisingly for what is essentially summer filler, is yes, its really not bad. With a nice line of ironic humour running through the show it has a lightness of touch that is appealing, yet doesn't pull its punches when neccessary. The season premiere aired at 10 p.m. EST and featured some reasonably hard hitting action (witness Westen beating up two bad guys in a bathroom and then shooting both to make sure, all in the first few minutes). Chanelling a hit of Carl Hiassen or Elmore Leonard in its successful mixing of humour and action (along with the Miami locale) you find yourself laughing out loud one moment and wincing the next.

Donovan makes for an appealing lead. He plays the 'cool spy' side of the character well (the way he takes down a small time drug dealer is great) yet isn't afraid to show Westen's human weaknesses. He also had a good sense of comic timing (witness his 'show & tell' with the ep's bad guy) and can do physical humor. Bruce Campbell is, well, Bruce Campbell (i.e. great). His character, Sam Axe, is a washed up agent living off a divorce settlement in Miami, drinking and screwing his way through life. Its a role Campbell can knock out in his sleep, but he still manages to lend Sam a hint of unseen depth. The rest of the cast, including Sharon Gless and Gabriel Anwar are passable, although Anwar's Irish accent leaves a little to be desired.

The show looks good, making the most out of the Miami setting. How the show will do going forward is hard to predict. If they maintain the standard of the first ep this could gain cult status. The premiere was helped by being commercial free, allowing the plot to unfold uninterrupted. Whether it works as well as a show when commercials are reinstated remains to be seen.

Personally I hope it succeeds. It feels fresh and a little different to other stuff on the networks, and the light tone is welcome. If if flies then it will probably make it over to the UK on one of the minor sattelite chanels like Bravo and would be worth catching. I certainly hope it comes over, since I'm heading back to the UK later today and I don't do torrents. Is it worth looking for on the torrents? Yes, I would recommend downloading the pilot. Its a not a bad way to spend an hour and a quarter of your life...

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 5
RE: Burn Notice - Starting tonight on USA Network in th... - 30/6/2007 12:09:22 AM   
batrico

Just finished watching the pilot.It was quite good actually.It has promise as a show if it doesnt take itself too seriously.Will watch next weeks to see how it continues.

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

Post #: 6
RE: Burn Notice - 18/6/2009 5:46:30 PM   
Captain Black

I've been catching up with this since its third season started a few weeks ago in the US. Up to S2, ep13. And in any sane world, this show would be, if not huge, then a really solid hit (it does of course do really well for its cable network USA, in America) and have a thread that's got more than six posts in it.

It's a bit old fashioned in some respects, like an updated high concept '80s action series (like the aforementioned MacGyver, but maybe Magnum too) only with a modern, high definition production packing a bunch of editing desk tricks and much higher quality scripts.

And yet....I dunno, but it just doesn't quite fire my imagination the same way certain shows do. I'm not quite sure why. It's got all of the ingredients, there's enough on-going plot without it being too convoluted, acting, characterisation, writing all admirable. Maybe it'll climb into that must see zone once I've finished S2.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 7
RE: Burn Notice - 18/6/2009 6:33:55 PM   
sanchia

I've just ordered season one on DVD. Taking a bit of a blind buy and the last time I did that it was Freaks and Geeks, which I found to be absolutely awful so hoping the law of averages works on this one.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 8
RE: Burn Notice - 19/6/2009 4:27:06 PM   
Blunderbuss

I grabbed a region 1 copy of season one last year having caught the first couple of eps in the US and whilst it was enjoyable I'd agree with the Captain and say that it didn't totally rock my world.  In many ways it feels like a complete throwback to 80's network TV shows like Miami Vice and MacGyver, but that could just be due to the setting (Miami) and having Sharon Gless in the cast.  Its also a deliberately lo-fi show which doesn't try to mix up genres.  This is a straight up show about spies.  It doesn't add in any sci-fi elements like Alias or try and mix in geek-chic cool like Chuck.  Its just spies and ex-spies crossing and double crossing each other.  Its good Sanchia, and you'll not regret picking up the DVD but don't expect too much from it.

I'm now contemplating picking up S2 as an R1 DVD import since FX in the UK show no signs of putting it on TV.  I caught the opening ep of S3 on a recent trip to the US, which reawakened my interest in the show and from the reviews I've read S2 is a step up from S1.

Definitely a case of a solid performer rather than an out-and-out classic.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
RE: Burn Notice - 21/6/2009 7:22:21 PM   
Mr Terrific

This is a fun show to watch...in fact Latinoreview says Its the best Summer show on TV

Check it out here.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

Post #: 10
RE: Burn Notice - 23/6/2009 10:03:50 PM   
Captain Black

I've just watched the penultimate episode of S2 (seriously, best genre guest cast ever: Tricia Helfer, Michael Shanks, Dina Meyer and Jay Karnes) and I'm really eager to see what they do. If I was to identify the main problem with it, it's that to make Michael appear too cool and always one step ahead of the game, there's a habit that they make the villains looks a little bit weak and cartoonish, which robs the show of some potential menace and drama. I'm not sure that would suit the tone of the show even, but I think that's the chief reason it doesn't reach those top echelons. Also, after binging on it, I do find that I've started to think of fake Michael voice overs for doing mundance day-to-day activity.

'When posting on the internet, always make sure you know your password ahead of time. And take care of your posts, you may be offering your thoughts to random strangers, but they'll still appreciate good formatting.'

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 11
RE: Burn Notice - 23/6/2009 10:06:13 PM   
sanchia

Just up to episode 6 of season 1. I have to agree that it is an enjoyable show. There is nothing which stands out but it doesn't outstay its welcome.

One question though. When did The Chin get so old?

< Message edited by sanchia -- 23/6/2009 10:07:26 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 12
RE: Burn Notice - 24/6/2009 2:25:08 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

I'm now contemplating picking up S2 as an R1 DVD import since FX in the UK show no signs of putting it on TV. 

Holy smokes, give us a chance!

Autumn, people, autumn. 

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

Post #: 13
RE: Burn Notice - 24/6/2009 3:09:48 PM   
Blunderbuss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

I'm now contemplating picking up S2 as an R1 DVD import since FX in the UK show no signs of putting it on TV. 

Holy smokes, give us a chance!

Autumn, people, autumn. 

Sorry dude, I just can't wait.  They're on S3 in the US already.  At the rate FX is going they show will have been cancelled will be in syndication stateside before we catch up in the UK.

In these days of multi-region DVD players and downloads (legal & illegal) you have to be quicker than that...especially with shows like this; the target audience for which are likely to be the sort of people with access to and the time/money to bother with torrents and R1 imports.  I guarantee if FX were to be quicker off the mark with getting the shows on-air in the UK they'd get a far larger audience (same goes for Virgin1 with Chuck).  I have no particular to desire to buy S2 on DVD and would happily watch on TV, but I'll be damned if I'll wait until some unspecified date 'in the autumn'.

Post #: 14
RE: Burn Notice - 24/6/2009 4:27:55 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

Sadly, it's just not as simple as that - there are financial implications for when and where you show something and same week play isn't something feasible at the moment. It's not done just to piss people off.

Yes there's bugger all we can do about multi-region DVD sets (though overwhelmingly people in the UK just have region 2 players). As for a legal download of Burn Notice, if it's being downloaded in the UK it's illegal (and if you can prove me wrong, please do so as we'll be having a word with Fox about it in that case!). And as far as downloads go, I'm not going to preach about whether it's wrong or not because there are compelling arguments either side. But, one side effect is that if people are going to download shows from the US in significant numbers before UK transmission (and aside from Lost, Fringe, Heroes and 24 - all on networks that can afford to work like that - I'm pushing to think of any other same week TX's for large US shows), the UK broadcasters will stop acquiring them. And if international sales drop, less shows will get made* and in the (very) long run everyone loses out.

And look, I'm not going to give you the air date now, on an open forum, for a show we're not putting out till later this year. Me not wanting to get sacked trumps your wanting to know!

* having said that, I've seen a lot of this years pilots, and in quite a few cases 'not getting made' would have been a preferable option...

< Message edited by Vertigo...Woo.Yay. -- 24/6/2009 4:30:47 PM >

"Define 'interesting'"

All hail Hypnotoad

Post #: 15
RE: Burn Notice - 24/6/2009 5:17:37 PM   
Blunderbuss

Vertigo, I understand where you're coming from.  Personally I steer clear of all illegal downloads, having neither the time nor the inclination to make use of them.  I'm very much an iTunes/iPlayer/4OD man myself.  Legal downloads all the way man...

I also appreciate that there are often unavoidable barriers to simultaneously broadcasting shows in multiple territories.  My fear is that, especially with US genre shows showing on non-mainstream channels, if it takes too long to catch up with America a sizeable proportion of a show's core audience will have found another way to watch it (legal or not).  The net result of that will be, as you say, lower ratings, leading to the show being pulled by the UK broadcaster for lack of appeal to advertisers, which will leave non-torrent/R1 DVD using fans with nothing but the hope that an R2 DVD gets a release sometime.

The more networks can close the gap between US and UK broadcast dates the fewer potential viewers they'll lose to the torrents and imported DVDs...

Oh and when it comes to advertising air dates would it be too much to ask that networks at least give an indication on their websites that the new season of a show will be forthcoming.  I don't need a precise date and time, but a 'coming in the autumn' or 'arriving in November' would be better than wondering whether its ever going to turn up...

Post #: 16
RE: Burn Notice - 27/6/2009 5:50:33 PM   
Monkeyshaver

I've watched a few epsisodes of the 1st series. Not bad. Glad they decided to have Anwar get rid of her silly oirish accent.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

Post #: 17
RE: Burn Notice - 27/6/2009 6:41:12 PM   
benmharper

I enjoyed the first season. Not really great but still enjoyable. Good to know we'll be getting s2.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 18
RE: Burn Notice - 1/7/2009 7:07:48 PM   
sanchia

Finished season one and whilst it is nothing exception I can honestly say it is thoroughly enjoyable.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 19
RE: Burn Notice - 15/8/2009 7:46:21 PM   
sanchia

I have one question. Why is Gabriella Anwar being portrayed as this sexy woman who always attract the men's eyes when they are attempting a honey trap style of plan? She is a walking skeleton who looks like she is about to keel over for want of a good meal.

Incidentally half way though season 2 and it is very enjoyable. It is nice to see The Chin has an enlarged role this season.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 15/8/2009 7:51:17 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 20
RE: Burn Notice - 5/10/2009 11:26:10 AM   
benmharper

Season 2 starts on Fx on Oct 12th

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 21
RE: Burn Notice - 5/10/2009 7:47:30 PM   
sanchia

It is a good show which get's better as it goes on. Season 3 is quality and the chin gets a bigger role in the second and third season.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 22
RE: Burn Notice - 14/7/2010 3:43:28 PM   
shool

This is turning out to be a quality TV show. I'm 2 thirds of the way through season 2 and its getting better and better.
Really like Tricia Helfer too but that could be cause as a Cylon she gave me goosebumps.

Either way the quality of characters is great and the chin as always is just great. Hopefully catch up o season 4 over the next few weeks as lets face it there is bugger all else on TV at the moment.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 23
RE: Burn Notice - 4/8/2010 3:56:32 PM   
Shifty Bench

Burn Notice is awesome, just started to watch it two weeks ago. I'm a few eps into season 3 now and enjoying every minute of it. 

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 24
RE: Burn Notice - 4/8/2010 7:13:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

It is a good show which get's better as it goes on. Season 3 is quality and the chin gets a bigger role in the second and third season.

I'm not entirely sure how you'd define gets better. I've found it to be quite consistent from episode 2 onwards (Fi's accent being the most inconsistent thing possible in the pilot. Though many of MIchael's undercover voices are exceedingly mad too). Sadly its kind of cautht in a loop now with Michael always having to do a little bit more to get his status back, and the team doing some "Robin Hood" job which never seems to pay. Not things that make it terrible, but its very procedural and you wonder how much longer it can go getting nowhere. Luckily someone remembered from Miami Vice that the location and bikini shots can make an extra character. Still, I'm happily watching season 4.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25
RE: Burn Notice - 4/8/2010 7:47:21 PM   
sanchia

I would say better in terms of it becoming a bit more of an ensemble piece with the other characters getting a bit more focus although the increasingly skeletal Gabrielle Anwar is rather poor especially the rather unbelievable manner she is seemingly always irresistable to men, someone giver her a pie or twenty.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 26
RE: Burn Notice - 5/8/2010 1:04:35 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia
although the increasingly skeletal Gabrielle Anwar is rather poor especially the rather unbelievable manner she is seemingly always irresistable to men, someone giver her a pie or twenty.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who thought that. I used to have a crush on Anwar back in the day, now I'm just worried about her health. And the fact that she attracts every guy on the show (except, seemingly Sam) is quite baffling.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27
RE: Burn Notice - 5/8/2010 1:49:17 PM   
benmharper

Fx is gonna start showing season 3 from wed 1st Sept.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 28
RE: Burn Notice - 26/8/2010 12:46:28 PM   
MrsG

I had no idea this programme was so much fun! I'd obviously heard about it before but never got round to watching an episode until last weekend and now I'm officially hooked. I suppose I knew it was meant to be a fairly frivilous/silly type of show but I'm overwhelmed by how much it makes me smile. It's definitely going in my 'feel-good' category.

My wallet however is not too pleased at me having found another set of dvds to purchase....

Movie-Con / Big Screen Diamond Footage and Panels
Forumite Twitter Names

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Burn Notice - Its Not Half Bad Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI