Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Bloody Valentine

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: My Bloody Valentine Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 12/3/2013 10:13:09 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

As someone who was up until 4.30am this morning F5ing to get through the website, I was too mentally weak to resist listening. No album could ever match the expectations of 22 years, and I don't know if it's possible to review it objectively without the insane amount of baggage attached, but taken on its own terms it's bloody marvellous. It's also not a major aesthetic leap forward, but it's fascinating how the album starts as a very distinct follow-on from Loveless/Isn't Anything - specifically the more midpaced stuff like All I Need/Sometimes/etc - but then sort mutates into something quite different (A.R. Kane would be my first point of comparison), and then goes somewhere else again - the fact that Kev wasn't bullshitting about the drum'n'bass stuff (no really!) was genuinely really unexpected. looking forward to getting the vinyl in the post and sitting down to listen to it in a dark room

Ditto. My crappy MP3 copy I suspect is not doing it justice.

Thoughts on the tour then?

My Saturday date consisted of three false starts, some dodgy mixing, a grumpier than usual Shields & still no Sometimes.

That said, To Here Knows When & Soon were amazing.

And no tinnitus on this occasion! (YMMR was definitely shorter this time round)

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 61
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 13/3/2013 1:27:57 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

As someone who was up until 4.30am this morning F5ing to get through the website, I was too mentally weak to resist listening. No album could ever match the expectations of 22 years, and I don't know if it's possible to review it objectively without the insane amount of baggage attached, but taken on its own terms it's bloody marvellous. It's also not a major aesthetic leap forward, but it's fascinating how the album starts as a very distinct follow-on from Loveless/Isn't Anything - specifically the more midpaced stuff like All I Need/Sometimes/etc - but then sort mutates into something quite different (A.R. Kane would be my first point of comparison), and then goes somewhere else again - the fact that Kev wasn't bullshitting about the drum'n'bass stuff (no really!) was genuinely really unexpected. looking forward to getting the vinyl in the post and sitting down to listen to it in a dark room

Ditto. My crappy MP3 copy I suspect is not doing it justice.

Thoughts on the tour then?

My Saturday date consisted of three false starts, some dodgy mixing, a grumpier than usual Shields & still no Sometimes.

That said, To Here Knows When & Soon were amazing.

And no tinnitus on this occasion! (YMMR was definitely shorter this time round)

That sounds like every MBV gig I've been to (two shows in a row they buggered up the beginning to When You Sleep and in four times of seeing them I've only heard Sometimes once) . Not seeing them 'til Primavera in May but I'm glad to hear they've shortened down the noise holocaust section.
Did they do much new stuff? I was listening to New You last night getting goosebumps at the thought of hearing it live.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 13/3/2013 1:29:52 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 62
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 14/3/2013 6:35:32 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Did they do much new stuff? I was listening to New You last night getting goosebumps at the thought of hearing it live.

From memory; they did Only Tomorrow, New You & ended with Wonder 2. Was hoping they'd play In Another Way (my favourite off m b v) but alas it never occurred.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 63
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 14/3/2013 11:51:06 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

From memory; they did Only Tomorrow, New You & ended with Wonder 2. Was hoping they'd play In Another Way (my favourite off m b v) but alas it never occurred.

They're my favourites off the new one so two out of three ain't bad.
I'd hazard a guess the rest of the band probably don't know how to play the whole album yet.
Mind, it'd be cool to hear an extended version of Nothing Is for a laugh.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: My Bloody Valentine Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI