Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: My Bloody Valentine

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: My Bloody Valentine Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 14/11/2012 4:17:39 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I'll believe it when I have the record in my hands.

Ditto.

Utterly adore 'Loveless' & looking forward to whenever this actually comes out. Seeing them at the Barrowlands a few years ago remains the most tinnitus-inducing gig I've ever been to.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 31
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 15/11/2012 5:36:03 PM   
licencetokilt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

I'll believe it when I have the record in my hands.

Ditto.

Utterly adore 'Loveless' & looking forward to whenever this actually comes out. Seeing them at the Barrowlands a few years ago remains the most tinnitus-inducing gig I've ever been to.

Did they offer free earplugs at the gig? A mate of mine turned them down when he saw them and seriously regretted it. As much as I love MBV, the thought of seeing them live does scare me, I don't think I could handle the noise?

Loveless is an amazing album, as the Glider and Tremolo EPs - Isn't Anything isn't quite as mindblowing a total experience, but at least three quarters of it is stunningly great. On a related note, the very brief but lovely 'Are You There?' by Shields from the Lost in Translation soundtrack became a mild addiction for a good few months.

Any thoughts on the pre-Isn't Anything material?

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 32
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 2/12/2012 9:53:00 PM   
Olaf

So the new album is totally coming out in the next two weeks, right? Right?? Honestly, a tour some time next year would do me. ANYTHING PLS

quote:

ORIGINAL: licencetokilt
Any thoughts on the pre-Isn't Anything material?

Ecstasy and Wine is quite good - it's the last material they produced before signing to Creation, and you can see the beginning of the transition towards the sound on IA and its related EPs. The stuff before that I've only listened to once or twice at best, fairly generic post-punk/C86/etc. Some of the songcraft is there obviously, but there were plenty of other bands doing better stuff at the time (which is something that can't be said about their peak material from 1988-1991).

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to licencetokilt)
Post #: 33
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/12/2012 9:34:44 AM   
Angelus

Do the remasters of Isn't Anything, Loveless and the EPs sound better enough to justify buying them?

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 34
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/12/2012 10:50:16 AM   
Olaf

I borrowed the IA/Loveless remasters from a friend and there's no difference on the digital remasters beyond maybe being a bit louder - the 'new' analogue tape version of Loveless is actually nice to listen to, or would be if there wasn't an ugly digital glitch somewhere on What You Want. (I'm not sure if I could switch at this point after having the original digital master burned onto my brain anyway.) Also, if you heard the leaked versions back in 2008(ish?), then they're the same versions have been released.

I'd say the EPs are an improvement but that's possibly down to Tremolo being the only one I'd heard from a CD source beforehand. It's worth getting for the unreleased material anyway.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 35
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/12/2012 11:10:35 AM   
Angelus

Cheers Olaf, I'll probably only get the EPs for now because I want those extra tracks.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 36
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/12/2012 1:49:13 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: licencetokilt

Did they offer free earplugs at the gig? A mate of mine turned them down when he saw them and seriously regretted it. As much as I love MBV, the thought of seeing them live does scare me, I don't think I could handle the noise?

Yeah as I was going in there were folk handing them out at the door. I too turned them down, but after the 20 minute feedback-inducing rendition of 'Feed Me With Your Kiss' I deeply regretted that decision.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to licencetokilt)
Post #: 37
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 4/12/2012 4:11:21 PM   
horribleives

I think you mean 'You Made Me Realise' but yes, for twenty minutes it sounded like the building was on fire.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 38
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 6/12/2012 12:25:25 PM   
Olaf

quick heads up if you're in the London, Manchester or Glasgow region(s): http://thequietus.com/articles/10909-my-bloody-valentine-announce-2013-uk-dates

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 39
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 6/12/2012 12:47:07 PM   
horribleives

Hmm, was gonna hang fire and hope that they play Primavera but saturday night at the Barra' sounds tempting...

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 40
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 6/12/2012 12:50:54 PM   
Olaf

I'll be up tomorrow in an attempt to get a ticket for the Apollo, pray for me. I'll also be trying to get tickets for Kraftwerk on Wednesday morning, so by next weekend I'll be either a) extremely poor or b) very depressed at being ticketless but slightly less poor.

Post #: 41
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 7/12/2012 9:18:04 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I think you mean 'You Made Me Realise' but yes, for twenty minutes it sounded like the building was on fire.

I could have sworn it was the former? Never mind, perhaps the tinnitus affected my memory as well.

I'll know for sure though come March, tickets have now been obtained.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 42
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 7/12/2012 9:31:15 AM   
Olaf

yeah it is YMMR, here's an article about it http://drownedinsound.com/in_depth/4136642-shoegaze-week--thoughts-on-my-bloody-valentines-holocaust

I also got a ticket, WOO. I managed to get a standing ticket on a different website after the first website I tried sold out after about twenty-five seconds at most (sitting would be just weird).

Post #: 43
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 18/12/2012 5:01:33 PM   
Spider

I got a ticket too - saw them last time they played Primavera and it was amazing - I still remember the moment they did a brief soundcheck and the sound coming off the speaker towers (we weren't even at the stage) was insane.

That said, I'm very worried about the noise. I really like it, but I think my ears are pretty sensitive nowadays loud gigs make my ears feel like they're going to burst (which I guess is true of everyone but it's definetely getting worse for me). I want to go and enjoy the gig without worrying about tinnitus. Do earplugs do a reliable job, or should I just sell my ticket?

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 44
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 19/12/2012 6:54:31 AM   
horribleives

At least they offer earplugs now - when I first saw them 20 years ago in a freezing ice rink we had no such luxury and my teenage jaws nearly shattered.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 45
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 19/12/2012 9:58:35 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

I got a ticket too - saw them last time they played Primavera and it was amazing - I still remember the moment they did a brief soundcheck and the sound coming off the speaker towers (we weren't even at the stage) was insane.

That said, I'm very worried about the noise. I really like it, but I think my ears are pretty sensitive nowadays loud gigs make my ears feel like they're going to burst (which I guess is true of everyone but it's definetely getting worse for me). I want to go and enjoy the gig without worrying about tinnitus. Do earplugs do a reliable job, or should I just sell my ticket?

No idea mate but when they do hand them out I'm definitely going to take up on the offer this time round. I was genuinely disturbed how bad my hearing was in the days after the first time.

You'll only really need them for one tune though - unless the new album has any more indulgences in feedback mayhem.

Not that 'You Made Me Realise' ever had a 15 minute opus of noise on record anyway, but you get my point...

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 46
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 29/1/2013 2:11:51 PM   
Qwerty Norris

So apparently (according to Shields) the new album might be out in the next few days?

A dreadful time to be skint...

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 47
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 29/1/2013 2:22:51 PM   
Olaf

Usually I'd be sceptical of taking Kev's word for this kind of thing, but apparently there are other sources suggesting that a vinyl edition is ready to go? OMFG THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING, HOLD ME

Post #: 48
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 29/1/2013 2:27:10 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Usually I'd be sceptical of taking Kev's word for this kind of thing, but apparently there are other sources suggesting that a vinyl edition is ready to go? OMFG THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING, HOLD ME

I would, but my arms have turned to jelly.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 49
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 29/1/2013 2:33:41 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

Forgetting your earplugs, a rookie error.

Post #: 50
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 30/1/2013 2:58:01 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

Forgetting your earplugs, a rookie error.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 51
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 2/2/2013 9:52:24 PM   
Olaf

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Post #: 52
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 2/2/2013 10:28:54 PM   
Indio

Drowned In Sound are asking for peoples opinions on the new album on Facebook but all I can see that has changed on MBV's Facebook page is a new cover photo, their website isn't working.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 53
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 2/2/2013 10:29:47 PM   
paul.mccluskey

quote:

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Kevin's trolling right... right?!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 54
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 2/2/2013 11:59:54 PM   
Indio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

Drowned In Sound are asking for peoples opinions on the new album on Facebook but all I can see that has changed on MBV's Facebook page is a new cover photo, their website isn't working.

We're now told that the album is live - but the servers too busy to actually listen to it

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 55
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/2/2013 12:05:22 AM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

We're now told that the album is live - but the servers too busy to actually listen to it

You sound surprised.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 56
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/2/2013 12:36:12 AM   
Indio

Not exactly surprised - I know MBV aren't exactly a stadium band but for all the hype we've had over the last God knows how long about a new album being on its way, you'd think that when they finally get their website up, it can cope with enough traffic so it doesn't go kaput within 10 seconds of going live.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 57
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/2/2013 9:34:19 AM   
tommyjarvis

It's up on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBKjhgHGVZs

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

Post #: 58
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/2/2013 3:45:23 PM   
horribleives

Gonna have to wait 'til February 22 to hold the CD in my hand but I'm gonna be strong and sweat it out - there's no way I'm listening to this for the first time on my bloody laptop.

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 59
RE: My Bloody Valentine - 3/2/2013 5:51:00 PM   
Olaf

As someone who was up until 4.30am this morning F5ing to get through the website, I was too mentally weak to resist listening. No album could ever match the expectations of 22 years, and I don't know if it's possible to review it objectively without the insane amount of baggage attached, but taken on its own terms it's bloody marvellous. It's also not a major aesthetic leap forward, but it's fascinating how the album starts as a very distinct follow-on from Loveless/Isn't Anything - specifically the more midpaced stuff like All I Need/Sometimes/etc - but then sort mutates into something quite different (A.R. Kane would be my first point of comparison), and then goes somewhere else again - the fact that Kev wasn't bullshitting about the drum'n'bass stuff (no really!) was genuinely really unexpected. looking forward to getting the vinyl in the post and sitting down to listen to it in a dark room

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: My Bloody Valentine Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI