Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Alan Wake

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Alan Wake Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alan Wake - 7/4/2010 3:30:08 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

Good news folks - it looks like it has been brought forwards a week.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4818-Alan-Wake-European-Release-Date-Shifts.html

quote:

"Fans in the UK have been crying out to get their hands on Alan Wake since it was first announced and we're thrilled to be able to deliver it to them early," said Stephen McGill, Director, Xbox & Entertainment, Microsoft UK.

Nothing to do with Red Dead Redemption being out on the 21st then?

When I found out about them both being out on the same day, I thought it was only a matter of time before one of them got shifted. I may be wrong but I think that Split Second was supposed to be released that week too.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 91
RE: Alan Wake - 9/4/2010 11:00:47 AM   
losthighway

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

I'm with Pratt on this one and actually know very little about it. From the trailer it looks like a Silent Hill rip-off crossed with an attempt to emulate the success of Hard Rain on PS3. Having said all that, the Ltd Ed looks seriously lush and at £40, i'm considering pre-ordering... Hmmm!

How can a game that has been in development since before the 360 was launched be a rip off of a game released last month?

Fair enough! As I said, i know nowt about this game so have obviously got the timing wrong... but from that trailer, my initial thought was a 360 attempt to emulate the success of Hard Rain. As for Silent Hill, currently working through Homecoming and it's a very lacklustre experience so maybe my view of SH is tainted at the minute. I'll still be giving Alan Wake a go although if it's been delayed for so long, is a massive turkey on the horizon!!??

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 92
RE: Alan Wake - 16/4/2010 2:00:00 PM   
kata

The first ten minutes of this leaked onto You tube.  Not gonna link it cos it's obviously spoiler ridden, should be easy to find if you wanna see it.

From the reactions I've read (not watched it myself) it looks pretty good.  Can't believe this is coming out on the same day as RDR, might have to take it off my Love film list until after I've finished that.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 93
RE: Alan Wake - 16/4/2010 2:27:49 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

From the reactions I've read (not watched it myself) it looks pretty good.  Can't believe this is coming out on the same day as RDR, might have to take it off my Love film list until after I've finished that.

Think Wake comes out a week before now.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 94
RE: Alan Wake - 17/4/2010 2:11:33 AM   
losthighway

I've just pre-ordered the Ltd Edition from Game for £39.99. Seemed too good to pass up considering all that you get!  It's now released on 14th May with the prequel mini-film going live online on 22nd April.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 95
RE: Alan Wake - 22/4/2010 8:54:44 AM   
From_Hell

So the Alan Wake Bright Falls prequel video thing is online today. I don't know much about it, but I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about later. Is anyone else going to be watching it?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

Post #: 96
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 9:44:08 AM   
paulyboy

...and the reviews are in: Clicky!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 97
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 9:52:11 AM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Pretty respectable.

I saw the first two Bright Falls episodes and they were really good. Very Twin Peaks in execution and made me even more excited about the game.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 98
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 9:55:43 AM   
paulyboy

I'm pretty happy with the reviews to be honest, they're not quite "10/10 - BEST GAME EVER" but I'll take "8-9/10 - Solid Atmospheric Action Game" any day of the week, which from the makers of Max Payne is pretty much what I expected.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 99
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 11:24:30 AM   
HIM

The Eurogamer wasn't very positive at all. Sounds like it isn't going to be worth the 5 year wait.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 100
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 11:28:05 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

The Eurogamer wasn't very positive at all. Sounds like it isn't going to be worth the 5 year wait.

To be fair the Eurogamer review is the lowest score it's got, plus if it's the same 7/10 that Eurogamer also awarded to the likes of Dead Space and Splinter Cell: Conviction then I'm there!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 101
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 11:31:43 AM   
HIM

It wasn't so much the score it was the text of the review. All the way through reading I was thinking, "This game is going to annoy me."

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 102
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 11:59:41 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I was a bit downbeat by the Eurogamer review admittedly, then I saw the reviewer, Ellie. I advise anyone Reading that review to look at her track record, obviously it's her own opinion, but Christ does she have poor taste, I rarely agree with her reviews.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 103
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 12:14:38 PM   
kata

The body of that Eurogamer review didn't match the score for me.  That always makes me suspicious. 
Still gonna rent this, farm it for fun and achievements and get shot 

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 104
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 12:14:39 PM   
HIM

It was a woman?! In that case I'll totally ignore it!

Post #: 105
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 12:19:33 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I was a bit downbeat by the Eurogamer review admittedly, then I saw the reviewer, Ellie. I advise anyone Reading that review to look at her track record, obviously it's her own opinion, but Christ does she have poor taste, I rarely agree with her reviews.

It was the first review I read this morning and whilst I'm obviously in no place to comment on any of her actual critisisms (until I play it of course) I just couldn't get along with the review at all, it read like a Clarkson car review from The Times, basically trying way too hard to be sarcastic and humerous in places.

Post #: 106
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 12:33:36 PM   
CORLEONE

Will be trading Splinter Cell in for this. I am worried that the puzzles will annoy me though...

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 107
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 2:29:35 PM   
sroey

What to do eh - this or Red Dead Redemption? Reviews have been good for this and a 9 from CVG and IGN (I usually follow those reviews as a baseline - although IGN did give 50 Cent: Blood on the sand a 7.6!?!?! WTF!)

Looks impressive and atmospheric. I just think Im favouring Red Dead more at the moment...

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 108
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 4:39:02 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Pretty respectable.

I saw the first two Bright Falls episodes and they were really good. Very Twin Peaks in execution and made me even more excited about the game.

I just watched all three of the Bright Falls episodes currently available, absolutely brilliant at setting the atmosphere for the game, and the end of the third episode has really got things going and has me really wanting the game now.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 109
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 4:47:54 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey

What to do eh - this or Red Dead Redemption? Reviews have been good for this and a 9 from CVG and IGN (I usually follow those reviews as a baseline - although IGN did give 50 Cent: Blood on the sand a 7.6!?!?! WTF!)

Looks impressive and atmospheric. I just think Im favouring Red Dead more at the moment...

Skate 3 as well... that's a dark horse.  Is a crammed few weeks, thank god for Love film

< Message edited by kata -- 5/5/2010 4:48:10 PM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 110
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 4:55:22 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sroey
(I usually follow those reviews as a baseline - although IGN did give 50 Cent: Blood on the sand a 7.6!?!?! WTF!)

Sounds a fair score. Really fun game but not that groundbreaking.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 111
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 5:11:03 PM   
Diggler

An 8 would be enough to make me buy most games but I was expecting more from Alan Wake. It's good that it's got a decent score but I was expecting it to get better reviews than the two I've read (IGN & OXM).

"Hey Ron, I'm riding a furry tractor"

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 112
RE: Alan Wake - 5/5/2010 7:27:11 PM   
steelydan3

I still like the idea of the game, but I'm slightly more tempted to wait until it's cheaper.  Although the Bright Falls episodes and the DLC that is coming out will probably tempt me.  It's my birthday this week though.  However, I'd feel like I wasted my money if I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought and I still have RDR preordered.  Concerned about some of the flaws mentioned in the reviews, but not enough to put me off completely. 

"I've had a bellyful of you and your cheap heroics"

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

(in reply to Diggler)
Post #: 113
RE: Alan Wake - 7/5/2010 10:10:04 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I'm really torn, i think i'll just outright buy it as i have been waiting ages, but then again i REALLY want RDR...

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 114
RE: Alan Wake - 7/5/2010 1:25:16 PM   
From_Hell

I'm torn too since the reviews for Alan Wake have started coming out. They've been very positive - normally a 7 or 8 out of 10 is enough to convince me to buy a game.... but maybe unfairly I was hoping Wake was going to get really rave reviews.

I can only afford to buy this or RDR. The whole dark/Stephen King/Twin Peaks vibe is totally up my street and I love survival horror - a genre that is slightly lacking on the Xbox 360. Buuuuuuut RDR does look very promising and might prove to be better value for money. Decisions, decisions!

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 115
RE: Alan Wake - 8/5/2010 10:29:58 AM   
losthighway

I usually follow GameSpot's word and they give it 8.5 which is very respectable. It says it's a good 12hr game which will keep me going over the Summer. I've got the Ltd Ed pre-ordered so can't wait for this to arrive later next week!  Just watched the first 3 episodes of the Bright Falls prequel on youtube... who thinks the guy who got dragged off at the end os Ep3 was actually the deer which got hit in episode 1??

< Message edited by losthighway -- 8/5/2010 11:42:00 AM >

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 116
RE: Alan Wake - 8/5/2010 1:28:04 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Ok i relented and ordered it just this second from shopto. Have opted for the special edition with all the bells and whistles, they're not as cheap as Game but i prefer shopto and know i'll get it on Friday.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 117
RE: Alan Wake - 8/5/2010 3:41:14 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Ok i relented and ordered it just this second from shopto. Have opted for the special edition with all the bells and whistles, they're not as cheap as Game but i prefer shopto and know i'll get it on Friday.

Knowing Shopto, you may well get it earlier than that.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 118
RE: Alan Wake - 8/5/2010 5:22:10 PM   
From_Hell

You can get Alan for £32.04 from Tescos if you use the code FTSL15-1

Linkage: http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/games/-alan-wake/8:692051/

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 119
RE: Alan Wake - 8/5/2010 6:14:24 PM   
Noshbox

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Indeed, reading through that review.. not sure I even want to play it now. I'm not the biggest fan of survival horror games at the best of times. Watched a few video's and while it looks great graphically, sound seems great too, I got the feeling the gameplay would be a bit shit. I'll rent it when I have nowt else to play, but certainly won't be buying it.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Alan Wake Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI