Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Alan Wake

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Alan Wake Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alan Wake - 11/10/2010 11:37:48 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I still haven't played any more of this even though I really, really want to. I'm waiting until there's no kids around and that's proving quite impossible at the moment. Looks like I'm sticking to racing games for the forseeable future....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 361
RE: Alan Wake - 11/10/2010 12:18:04 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

Same here. I'm getting no time sans Mrs and sproglet, so I'm stuck with family and sports games. Really pleased the 2nd hand copy I bought has an intact DLC code too, so I can have a crack at The Signal too.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 362
RE: Alan Wake - 11/10/2010 1:41:59 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

So glad i dont have kids :-D

Aaaanyway, i think im gonna tackle this on hard soon. Or whatever the hardest setting is. Im pretty crap at games so i doubt ill do that well mind.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 363
RE: Alan Wake - 16/10/2010 6:08:07 PM   
borstal

Downloaded The Writer and am looking forward to seeing what this throws up. Hope Barry does a star turn

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 364
RE: Alan Wake - 16/10/2010 8:04:13 PM   
Bumfluff

Played it through earlier. Thought it was bettter that "The Signal", even if it reuses old scenery from the main game again, but ultimately I'm glad it's all over now. Have had my fill.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 365
RE: Alan Wake - 16/10/2010 9:39:59 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I had another spin on this earlier this afternoon and reached the end of episode two. I'm taking it an episode at a time. I'm still really loving it, more running through woods but it does it so well I don't mind. The story telling is fantastic and is keeping me well and thoroughly gripped.

I shit myself at one point, I was looking for the key to the garage to get the car out and I walked past a few toilet cubicles when a baddie flew out. I was that scared I instantly paused the game to regain my composure!! Saving Barry from the birds was fun!

Looking forward to episode three...

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 366
RE: Alan Wake - 10/5/2011 10:28:59 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I still haven't finished this yet, I just don't seem to be able to find the time when there are no kids around to play it It's great as well so far, I'll get there in the end....

On a sidenote:

quote:

Remedy has confirmed that it's working on a new Alan Wake game -- but it's not the "Alan Wake 2" that was outed from an artist's resume. Oskari Häkkinen, head of franchise development for the Finnish developer, confirmed to Joystiq that a slice of the team is crafting "this next Wake installment," which is neither sequel nor downloadable content.

"Fans of the franchise will be excited to learn that, yes, more Wake is coming!" he said. "But to be absolutely certain to avoid confusion, this next Wake installment will not be Alan Wake 2. But neither will it be DLC." The full explanation, "when we'll actually SHOW YOU," is being saved for the official announcement later.

If it's not a sequel, then what is it? (What is it with you and confounding nebulousness, Alan?) "It's something that'll definitely give more to the Wake fans out there, but just as importantly, this installment will also give an opportunity for players who aren't familiar with the franchise to finally jump on board." Our guess is that it's an updated version of the original scary-forest sim, possibly aimed at more platforms.

Post #: 367
RE: Alan Wake - 10/5/2011 10:39:21 AM   
borstal

Its 'Jet Set Barry' in which Barry has to tidy up his mansion after a party so that his maid will let him go to bed. Dont go near The Attic though!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

Post #: 368
RE: Alan Wake - 10/5/2011 10:40:52 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Its 'Jet Set Barry' in which Barry has to tidy up his mansion after a party so that his maid will let him go to bed. Dont go near The Attic though!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 369
RE: Alan Wake - 4/11/2011 6:04:40 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

This was posted on Alan Wake's facebook page (well the games, not actually his!)

quote:

Fans, Alan Wake returns through Xbox Live Arcade! Follow GameInformer.com on Monday for the first screenshot, and the 2011 Spike VGA's, December 10th, for more information on this Epic Adventure. Are you ready to become the Champion of Light?

Must get my arse in gear and finish the first!

Post #: 370
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 9:45:29 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Post #: 371
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 10:01:12 AM   
thatlittlemonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Must get my arse in gear and finish the first!

Amen, brother.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

Post #: 372
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 10:32:48 AM   
Harry Tuttle

I keep thinking I need to finish this but then I remember that it was such a crushing dissapointment that I can't be bothered.

A shame.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 373
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 10:45:03 AM   
talpacino

I actually really enjoyed this. It wasn't perfect but it was something different, I loved the style and atmosphere of it and it scared the hell out of me in the early parts. It dragged on a little towards the end and I think I'm one of the few who preferred the early parts in the woods.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 374
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 10:49:03 AM   
Scott_

I found it a chore to finish, it started well enough but when I started fighting demonic farming equipment I got bored.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 375
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 10:49:43 AM   
directorscut

Alan Wake had good qualities, but it crossed the line between homaging Twin Peaks and Stephen King and just blatantly ripping them off and feeling awfully derivative.

It was very disappointing that the promised open world reactive detective horror game was turned into a rather linear action game. Having said that the levels were beautiful and offered more exploration than any recent BioWare game!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 376
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 10:54:48 AM   
sharkboy

I've had this game for a few months now and it's still sitting in the plastic wrap.  With Batman: AC, Lego POTC, Dead Island in the to-do pile, and Skyrim and AC: Revelations in the pipeline, I doubt if it'll see any action this side of 2011!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 377
RE: Alan Wake - 8/11/2011 11:05:51 AM   
paulyboy

I adored it, especially the second half when the set-pieces really ramped up. That said it was getting rather repetitive towards the end of the game, even though I loved it I can admit that. Still it had more style and atmosphere than just about any game in recent memory, I'll be all over any sequel and/or that spin-off like a rash.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 378
RE: Alan Wake - 23/4/2012 1:27:16 PM   
jcthefirst

Recently finsihed this and write a review. Enjoy:

So, Alan Wake is something of a gaming milestone for me. In two ways actually. One, it’s the game during which I finally pushed my Gamerscore over 20,000 which is either awesome or depressing depending on your viewpoint. And two, it’s the first horror game I’ve ever seen through to the bitter end, having previously shat out of all other horror games I’ve played before.

Hooray for me!

Anyway, the game itself is an absolute delight. Structured like a TV show (complete with cliff-hangers, and ‘previously on’s’), with a beautifully realised environment of a small-town community and a hell of a lot of fun to play. Oh, and it’s pretty scary too.

The premise is this: Alan Wake and his wife Alice go on holiday to the seemingly idyllic town of Bright Falls. Soon, Alice gets taken by…something and it’s up to Alan to find her. Unfortunately the thing that has taken her is the ultimate evil of all evil. Or The Darkness, as the game calls it whose minions, the Taken, have uh…taken over a lot of the townsfolk and are trying to prevent Alan from getting her back.

The core mechanic of the game is dark versus light. Playing as Alan, you’re hardly ever without your trusty flashlight which is as important, if not more so, than your pistol. The Taken a shrouded in darkness and are unkillable until you’ve destroyed it first. So blast them with your torch, and then shoot the bastards dead. That’s basically the whole game summed up as it doesn’t change much throughout the 8-10 hours it takes to complete. But saying that does it such a disservice. The game design is nothing short of breathtaking with stunning environments that while linear are open to some exploration (Apparently. I didn’t stray too far from the obvious path lest something unexpected caused me to scream like a little girl); the sound design with have you constantly checking around you to make sure you’re not about to get attacked (seriously, I lost count the amount of times a creaking floorboard has had me shitting myself) and the episodic nature of the game is like crack. I hardly put the game down this past weekend until I had it finished.

The set pieces are glorious, especially the ones where you get surrounded by a metric fuckton of Taken and have to decide the best method of taking them out. The standouts being an old abandoned stage from a festival, being swamped by Taken, however you have the band's leftover fireworks and flamethrowers on your side. The other being the dash away from the police, with their cars and helicopters getting destroyed by The Darkness as they pursue you. In fact, most of the action is very well done. There’s nothing amazing or brand new about it but the two pronged attacking (torch then shoot) makes it different from just shooting everything that moves, and refreshingly the game sometimes gives you no option but to run away from fights you have very little chance of winning.

Anyway, I’ll not spoil any of the story, mainly because I don’t really know what happened at the end, but throughout the whole game its very Twilight Zone-esque mixed in with a bit of X-Files/Twin Peaks-yness mystery. It even has you collecting coffee thermoses for the achievement called ‘A Damn Good Cup of Coffee.’ Also throughout the game, you find pages of a novel that Alan has already written which foreshadows events to come. It’s quite an interesting device, which you’d think would spoil the surprises somewhat but it actually ramps up the dread.

Especially when you read ‘chainsaw.’

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 379
RE: Alan Wake - 25/4/2012 3:23:15 PM   
borstal

Now go get some Deadspace done.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 380
RE: Alan Wake - 17/12/2012 3:31:41 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I've had this game for a few months now and it's still sitting in the plastic wrap.  With Batman: AC, Lego POTC, Dead Island in the to-do pile, and Skyrim and AC: Revelations in the pipeline, I doubt if it'll see any action this side of 2011!

So, I posted the above on 8/11/11, and true to my prediction I finally got around to playing the bloody thing this weekend!  I'm on the final chapter, having tried where possible to get all the collectibles on the first runthrough (missed a few in chapter 1 before I decided on this strategy), and I'm really enjoying it so far.  There are a couple of scenes where I've had to restart the checkpoint more than a few times (especially trying for the "Gunless Wonder" achievement), but its been challenging enough on hard.  Hate to think what nightmare is gonna be like!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 381
RE: Alan Wake - 17/12/2012 3:36:25 PM   
jcthefirst

I've been thinking about going back and playing this on Nightmare difficulty, but it was hard enough on normal.

I really loved this game. Shame it didn't get more recognition.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 382
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Alan Wake Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 12 [13]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI