Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Alan Wake

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Alan Wake Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alan Wake - 29/7/2010 12:22:12 AM   
Fletcher

I emailed microsoft about my code today but no reply so far. Still can't download the DLC

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

The Bunk is strictly a suit and tie motherfucker

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 331
RE: Alan Wake - 29/7/2010 8:45:05 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Just ordered this for 18 quid on Amazon, if I get it new the DLC is included right?

See i thought that was just with Collector's Edition, but i'm happy to be corrected on this one

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 332
RE: Alan Wake - 29/7/2010 9:14:30 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

Just ordered this for 18 quid on Amazon, if I get it new the DLC is included right?

See i thought that was just with Collector's Edition, but i'm happy to be corrected on this one

All editions come with the free DLC.

Downloaded The Signal last night, now just have to find time to play it.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 333
RE: Alan Wake - 29/7/2010 12:42:10 PM   
Fletcher

I got my code!!!! Downloading later. I am a happy Fletcher now.

'Oh come on! Everybody knows this man tried to stab me through the neck, and you MISSED!....... butter fingers!'

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 334
RE: Alan Wake - 29/7/2010 7:48:12 PM   
Fletcher

Got it, downloaded it, played it and finished it!

Actually enjoyed it more then I thought I would. Although I agree with Donovan that the 'all in his head' was my least favourite part of the game I liked the way it was implemented in this chapter and resulted in two set pieces which I thouroughly enjoyed.

Barry was once again the best character in the game.

Overall I thought it was an enjoyable chapter but didn't add a huge amount to the overall story.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 335
RE: Alan Wake - 30/7/2010 9:32:11 AM   
losthighway

I'm halfway through Chapter 4 and it oddly taken a Shutter Island turn!  I didn't see that coming although with the Chapter entitled 'The Truth', is it really real!? Enjoying it... only two more chapters to go!

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 336
RE: Alan Wake - 8/8/2010 9:26:12 AM   
Bumfluff

Finished the full 1k yesterday.

I fully admit I got lucky with the thermoses. I needed 1 more & there was no way on Gods Earth I was going to spend hours going through the game again looking for it, when I stumbled across it whilst doing the "Chapter 5 without restarting" achievement.

My Cinema Diaries

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 337
RE: Alan Wake - 15/8/2010 8:16:32 PM   
the anomaly

Played it for a few mins at a mates house ... it's not perfect ... and quite corny ... but I enjoyed it. One I'll pick up or rent down the line. I was watching the Bright Falls videos before hand. A nice touch.

(in reply to Bumfluff)
Post #: 338
RE: Alan Wake - 16/8/2010 9:51:27 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

Played it for a few mins at a mates house ... it's not perfect ... and quite corny ... but I enjoyed it. One I'll pick up or rent down the line. I was watching the Bright Falls videos before hand. A nice touch.

Just out of interest how far did you play to?

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 339
RE: Alan Wake - 16/8/2010 10:46:02 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Finally got the achievement for completing on the road to cauldron lake without firing a single shot. It was pretty tricky and fortunately i used my last flashbang just as i was nearing the end and just made it.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 340
RE: Alan Wake - 17/8/2010 10:43:00 AM   
paulyboy

Completed The Signal at the weekend, decent little 90 minute add-on, especially since it was more or less free.

Doesn't really add much story wise though, just more weird shit. We're obviously going to have to hold out for a full-blown sequel if we want answers, I can't see the next DLC installment adding much to be honest, there's always hope though.

Post #: 341
RE: Alan Wake - 29/8/2010 10:51:51 AM   
the anomaly

Oh collectables how I hate thee. Manuscript page's, Coffee Thermos' and radios ... YAAAWWWWNNN. With a game like this they just take me out of the experince. I'm meant to be getting into character and drawn into the story. Rushing through the areas on a mission. Not strolling around in the dark and during every conversation looking for collectables.

Sure the manuscript pages and radios at least add to the story ... but they should be intergrated into it in a more passive way. The manuscripts ... I just can't be bothered to read them. Sure I've done it for other games in small doses but there should have been the option for wake to read them out to himself while he's moving about. Especially the radio. Wake could have just had a radio on him. It would play every now and again at certain sections when the broadcast is good and there you go. The same effect.

Then there's the case of placing them around. Why can't games learn from Batman AA offering and make collectables part of the expereince. Or just give you ca chance of finding them. The manuscripts help as they shine brightly in the darkness, the radios green light is on etc. How about using sound too ... maybe the radios do but if they don't there could be the sound of distortion etc so you could find them by ear too. The coffee ... well it's just bollocks isn't it.

Back to the game ... I'm enjoying the whole cinematic feel. Seem's to be one of those games you just go through. Not challenging. Though I don't mind that too much. I've got used to it though getting backed into a corner is tough to get out of. Annoyed to see there's an achievement for using batteries. I usually use my flash light from afar without using the intense beam that wastes the battery. No I'll have to try to use it up. Errrmmm honestly not had that much time to play it. I like the visuals int he forest. Looks awesome. Story, well I like what it's trying to be. Voice acting etc is better than most games. But the plot ... i'm finding kind of by the numbers so far. I've tried to let game scare me too. Playing in darkness, with the speakers bumped up , sitting on my own ... but it's not manged that feat yet.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 342
RE: Alan Wake - 29/8/2010 12:01:42 PM   
DJ Satan

How far have you got? I've got to the end of episode 3 but so far I feel a little underwhelmed and disappointed with it. I think the problem is the gameplay feels to generic and not something that has taken 5 years to produce. The story at the end of Ep3 has piqued my interest but it's still been a week since I last played. I think part of the problem is that I want it to be epic but I don't have long to play it.

I put Mass Effect on again recently and the time just flew past again. This is something that has yet to happen in this game.

Edit: Not sure I made myself clear here. With AW I want to find a 2-3 hour window to play without distraction, which is rare. And when I do I seem to get bored halfway through. With ME I can put it on for half an hour to dip into it while surfing the web etc, and then the next thing I know it is 5 hours later and I haven't got anything else done.

< Message edited by DJ Satan -- 29/8/2010 12:08:52 PM >

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

Post #: 343
RE: Alan Wake - 31/8/2010 11:46:28 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

How far have you got? I've got to the end of episode 3 but so far I feel a little underwhelmed and disappointed with it. I think the problem is the gameplay feels to generic and not something that has taken 5 years to produce. The story at the end of Ep3 has piqued my interest but it's still been a week since I last played. I think part of the problem is that I want it to be epic but I don't have long to play it.

I put Mass Effect on again recently and the time just flew past again. This is something that has yet to happen in this game.

Edit: Not sure I made myself clear here. With AW I want to find a 2-3 hour window to play without distraction, which is rare. And when I do I seem to get bored halfway through. With ME I can put it on for half an hour to dip into it while surfing the web etc, and then the next thing I know it is 5 hours later and I haven't got anything else done.

UGHHHHhhhh I'm knackered ... but yeah I think part of it is I've had a similar problem. Not had the time to have a proper session with this. It's not one to pick up and play for me. It expects too much patience. Collecting. Sitting and reading/listening to collectables, cut scenes, talking to NPCs ... blah blah.

I had a proper sit down for a bit the other day and got into it a lot more. One thing that bugs me is Wake lacks an action button. He doesn't need to be Chris Redfield but the physics seem to be there for objects and yet you don't really interact with them. I'm still just on chapter 3/4? But there's an achievement to kill taken with the environment ... and I just think "like what"? Sure I've shot gas can's ... that's about it. I like using the light to battle em though. Flash bangs have never been so lethal.

Infact I have to say finding it way too easy on normal now. At first I was stocking up on thing's like flashbangs and flares ... but considering you wake up suddenly at another checkpoint with no items you may as well just use them while you can. The game seems to give you an ample stock of weapons too.

I agree the story has picked up now. At first it was a bit ... meh. Now it's quite convulted ... as I've actually sat down and read all the manuscripts. They are strange as some explain events that haven't happened ... even though the are set per chapter they don't seem to be in order. Anyway's things have just gotten interesting now.

Regarding your last point. I have to say I wasn't expecting the game to be finsihed. I haven't been looking forward to it as much as other's on here. It seemed like a nice to have, for me. So expectations haven't been built up over years. But it's had a good buzz and I was expecting a bit more. Still it's getting better for me and to be fair it's a decent game. I won't slag it off anymore for now ... hopefully I'll finish this week or the next.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 344
RE: Alan Wake - 1/9/2010 12:34:16 AM   
Fletcher

quote:

UGHHHHhhhh I'm knackered ... but yeah I think part of it is I've had a similar problem. Not had the time to have a proper session with this. It's not one to pick up and play for me. It expects too much patience. Collecting. Sitting and reading/listening to collectables, cut scenes, talking to NPCs ... blah blah.

I had a proper sit down for a bit the other day and got into it a lot more. One thing that bugs me is Wake lacks an action button. He doesn't need to be Chris Redfield but the physics seem to be there for objects and yet you don't really interact with them. I'm still just on chapter 3/4? But there's an achievement to kill taken with the environment ... and I just think "like what"? Sure I've shot gas can's ... that's about it. I like using the light to battle em though. Flash bangs have never been so lethal.
Infact I have to say finding it way too easy on normal now. At first I was stocking up on thing's like flashbangs and flares ... but considering you wake up suddenly at another checkpoint with no items you may as well just use them while you can. The game seems to give you an ample stock of weapons too.

I agree the story has picked up now. At first it was a bit ... meh. Now it's quite convulted ... as I've actually sat down and read all the manuscripts. They are strange as some explain events that haven't happened ... even though the are set per chapter they don't seem to be in order. Anyway's things have just gotten interesting now.

Regarding your last point. I have to say I wasn't expecting the game to be finsihed. I haven't been looking forward to it as much as other's on here. It seemed like a nice to have, for me. So expectations haven't been built up over years. But it's had a good buzz and I was expecting a bit more. Still it's getting better for me and to be fair it's a decent game. I won't slag it off anymore for now ... hopefully I'll finish this week or the next.

just as a not very subtle hint for the achievement then think of Farraday.

Also the pages you pick up aren't specidically always about the chapter you are playing.

Stick with it as the next levels do start to add variety to locations.

Post #: 345
RE: Alan Wake - 5/9/2010 4:46:06 PM   
ChickMagnet

So I bought the special edition today which comes with a free novel apparently, before I even think of opening the box should I be putting the book to one side or would I be ok to read it before I've finished the game?

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 346
RE: Alan Wake - 5/9/2010 11:32:56 PM   
rich

Yeah saw a summary a while ago, I wouldnt read it till afterwards

Meanwhile...

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 347
RE: Alan Wake - 6/9/2010 8:11:45 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I keep meaning to read the files. Still havent gotten round to it....

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 348
RE: Alan Wake - 23/9/2010 11:54:41 PM   
the anomaly

Almost finished it. I've enjoyed it more as each chapter went by. Got drawn into the story more. Read the manuscripts too. Managed to find all the radios. On Chapter 6 now ... kind of rushing it now though. I can't help but still be drawn to them ... but the coffee jugs and tin cans ... WTF .... just lazy collectables ... no relevance what so ever. At least the radio, town history and manuscripts add ... ahhhhh I'll stop. Ughhh sorry about my posts, so bloody busy ...

After this is done I'll pretty much be focusing on Halo Reach, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead/2 and Super Street Fighter 4 ... can't be buying anymore this year .... and don't have the time ... blahhhh I've got Zelda Tracks or what ever to do ... the train segments are bloody annoying me now. Linear and annoying. Three hits on the train and game over and blahhhhh I'm going on ...

Alan Wake ... I think it's ok.

Post #: 349
RE: Alan Wake - 24/9/2010 12:47:59 AM   
directorscut

quote:

Almost finished it. I've enjoyed it more as each chapter went by. Got drawn into the story more. Read the manuscripts too. Managed to find all the radios. On Chapter 6 now ... kind of rushing it now though. I can't help but still be drawn to them ... but the coffee jugs and tin cans ... WTF .... just lazy collectables ... no relevance what so ever. At least the radio, town history and manuscripts add ... ahhhhh I'll stop. Ughhh sorry about my posts, so bloody busy ...

After this is done I'll pretty much be focusing on Halo Reach, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead/2 and Super Street Fighter 4 ... can't be buying anymore this year .... and don't have the time ... blahhhh I've got Zelda Tracks or what ever to do ... the train segments are bloody annoying me now. Linear and annoying. Three hits on the train and game over and blahhhhh I'm going on ...

Alan Wake ... I think it's ok.

The relevance is it's a damn fine cup of coffee.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 350
RE: Alan Wake - 27/9/2010 1:54:32 PM   
From_Hell

Finally got round to playing through The Signal last night and it was okay... I'm just glad it was free else I would have been much more disappointed. More forests, more sawmills, more of the same old bad guys, interspersed with a couple of decent set pieces and a couple of very frustrating fights. Annoying swooping flocks of birds really blow.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 351
RE: Alan Wake - 28/9/2010 9:54:07 AM   
paulyboy

Last piece of DLC is out on October 25th, here's the trailer: Clicky!

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 352
RE: Alan Wake - 28/9/2010 7:13:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I thought there were gonna be 3 DLC's?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 353
RE: Alan Wake - 28/9/2010 7:31:38 PM   
juanvasquez

Just the 2 I'm afraid. And the final one apparently answers some questions but also blows the story wide open leaving it open for the inevitable sequel.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 354
RE: Alan Wake - 28/9/2010 7:32:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Oh right! Well after the enjoyable but frankly baffling The Signal, i can't hold out much hope for a coherent resolution!

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 355
RE: Alan Wake - 29/9/2010 9:15:33 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I thought there were gonna be 3 DLC's?

Eurogamer reported as much some months ago but if memory serves they'd mis-read one of Remedy's forum posts or press releases and ran a news story saying there would be three pieces of DLC as a result. Good old Eurogamer.

On the subject of The Writer though, the trailer does say "End the Nightmare", I'm cautiously optimistic we might get at least some answers, fully expecting a cliffhanger ending that fucks with my brain still mind you.

Post #: 356
RE: Alan Wake - 29/9/2010 9:37:48 AM   
borstal

Result! I have enough leftover MSP for the L4D and AWake DLC

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 357
RE: Alan Wake - 1/10/2010 12:37:09 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

Picked this up on an impulse buy last week (only 12 quid ) and I'm quite glad I did. The gameplay doesn't feel especially groundbreaking, but stylistically it's bang on the money. Love the episodic structure and for once I actually give a shit about the story, which is fairly rare for me.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 358
RE: Alan Wake - 5/10/2010 5:37:37 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Played through the first episode on normal this afternoon and I am LOVING it Much like TLM I actually care about the story for once and am relishing getting stuck in to the next chapter. I missed a manuscript and probably a lot of other collectables as well as I didn't really stray from the beaten path too much through fear of shitting my pants. The music is top notch and the game styling is immense. I love the way the story is being told and I don't think I've enjoyed the beginning of a game as much as this since COD3.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 359
RE: Alan Wake - 5/10/2010 8:12:33 PM   
From_Hell

I hope you enjoy the rest YFU. I thought the middle sagged a bit - the first three levels do feel a bit samey, but if you do start to suffer from 'forest fatigue', stick with it because levels 4 and 5 are pretty sweet.....

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Alan Wake Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI