Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 24/7/2007 9:53:19 PM   
Achtung Englander

that I would skip

if you are interested in all things Roman I can suggest the books by

Allan Massie - a series of fiction books on the Julii family. Utterly fantastic books - just like Rome. Try reading it in chronological order - Ceasar, Augustus,Antony, Tiberius, Caligula, Nero's Heirs
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/026-1499034-8647637?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=allan+massie&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Conn Iggulden - a series of fiction books on Julius Caesar. Personally I found this was poorer than Rome and Massie books but worth a dabble if you prefer to read about Julius Ceasar
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/202-3921991-9745443?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=emperor&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Simon Scarrow - a series of fiction books on the conquest of Britain seen through the eyes of 2 centurians - basically Rome's Pullo and Vorenus. Just started this - really enjoying it as it reads exactly like Rome. It includes the Romanian general who conquered Britain - Vespasian - who succeded Nero as Emperor during the year when Rome had 4 emporers in a power struggle.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b/202-3921991-9745443?initialSearch=1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=scarrow&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Basically if you like court politics - Massie. If you like Rome gritty style - Scarrow

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 151
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 25/7/2007 12:12:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

I have to say Octavian gets a raw deal from the characters on this show, being called a 'monster' and having a 'rotton soul'. If you think about it, he has about the least amount of blood on his hands and if everyone had just listened to him none of what did happen would have. Atia hates him for becoming the head of the family she was always looking for, Octavia seduces and sleeps with her brother for information and acts high and mighty around him. No wonder he is so cold and remote, but he is far from the most inhumane - all he does is ruin his families plotting.

And sorry Cleo but you killed your own brother - way to judge on other people.

Also I liked that they hired a child who quite obviously looked like Cirian Hinds to play Ceaersion - puts into doubt if Pullo really is the father, not that it matters of course, just a nice piece of casting.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 152
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 26/7/2007 12:48:44 AM   
superfurry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Achtung Englander

remember Octavia's little girl Antonia - well she had a son - Germanicus - who was in line to take the throne after Octavian / Augustus because he had no direct lines of his own. Livia got rid of him and 2 of his nephews to clear the path for Tiberius (her son from her first marriage) who didn't even want the job !

That's not quite how it went but it seems a few people are going to buy I, Claudius so I guess they'll find that out for themselves.

They havn't really given themselves the chance to do a 3rd series here though as there are too many characters missing.  Octavia had a previous husband Gaius Marcellus, who gave her a son Marcellus who became Augustus' intended heir and rival to Agrippa.  They also missed Octavian's previous marriage to Scribonia which gave him his daughter Julia who produced his grandchildren by Agrippa.  There was also no Drusus who was Livia's second son from her first marriage.  He went on to marry Antonia the younger(Antony and Octavia had two daughters called Antonia) and their children were Germanicus, Livilla and Claudius.

I found Atia's rant at Livia blasphemous as the character of Atia in this is clearly a rip-off of I, Claudius' Livia, except Livia was considerably smarter.  I would have liked them to include when the Senate voted Octavian the title of Augustus as a way to round it off.  The ending seemed a touch lame to me. 

I think I preferred the first season overall as I think Ciaran Hinds' Caesar was a better leading character than anyone in this season.  Credit to James Purefoy though as he was also thrilling to watch.  What did people think of his Goodfellas moment?  I enjoyed Simon Woods' portrayal of Octavian more than Max Pirkis'.  I didn't really understand why so many people liked the younger Octavian.

For those looking to watch I, Claudius I can't recommend it enough.  Bear in mind it is over 30 years old and so the production values are not a patch on Rome's, but it's a lot more historically accurate, and has a superior script and cast.  Sian Phillips, Derek Jacobi, Brian Blessed, and George Baker all give wonderful performances, but it is really John Hurt's superb Caligula that impresses most.  Which is why he's on my avatar.

Hope you enjoy it, people.

What can I say? I'm a bad heart motherfucker.

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 153
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 26/7/2007 8:45:45 AM   
elab49

I think I Claudius' Livia referred to her mother-in-law in terms not unlike herself, so I'd dispute the rip-off claim for that one. If Livia found someone else a bit of a trial, she had to be pretty special!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to superfurry)
Post #: 154
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 26/7/2007 11:55:55 AM   
Peppermint

His Goodfellas moment superfurry?

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to superfurry)
Post #: 155
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 26/7/2007 8:47:33 PM   
superfurry

The moment where Vorenus floors Antony and some servant or slave or whatever laughs.  Antony turns round and says something along the lines of:   Do I amuse you?  Am I a fucking clown?

I could be wrong but I don't recall any reference to Atia in I, Claudius.  Historically speaking Atia was reckoned to be a good and virtuous Roman matron.

What can I say? I'm a bad heart motherfucker.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 156
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 3/8/2007 4:45:38 PM   
Bickle

Am I the only one thinks that James Purefoy (Mark Anthony) bares a striking resemblance to Marlon Brando, who also once played Mark Anthony?

(in reply to superfurry)
Post #: 157
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 2/12/2008 12:42:05 PM   
Zaphod121

Could there be a Rome movie on the way? hmmm
click here

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 158
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 2/12/2008 8:23:04 PM   
batcountry84

Rome was good how it ended, altho I am all for more Rome, as long as they put as much effort as they did into the series and round it off nicely. I'd love to see what happens to Octavian and our favourite, Atia.  She was such a mega bitch.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 159
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 5/12/2008 2:07:53 AM   
xmagic_dustx

Oh how I love Atia. She's awesome.

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 160
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI