Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 20/7/2007 4:58:03 PM   
The Seed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Achtung Englander

wonderful episode tonight

When the box set comes out I am going to pre-order it without a doubt

to think there will be no Rome 3

My advice would be to wait until Christmas when you will probably be able to pick it up really cheap online. I got the first season DVD from the Amazon Christmas sale last year for 19.99, just a few months after it had been released.
You'd also appreciate it more having not seen it for a while.

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 121
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 20/7/2007 7:19:57 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

ive been on holiday soi missed the last 3 episodes

i caught up eventually last night, seeing the 8th and 9th ep on the beeb.

now i was tired and falling assleep during the ninth.

but i remember one scene, in the 8th i think.

octavian, mark anthony, octavia, atia, are having dinner. then theres an argument, and mark anthonys about to throttle octavian. then atia says something, and octivian coldly says 'Silence' and she just shuts up. inspired acting. im realy liking this new octavian.

him and cleopatra are really interesting characters and play really well by the actors.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to The Seed)
Post #: 122
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 22/7/2007 3:11:02 PM   
sserplla

I've come into Rome quite late. I saw bits of season 1 but never really caught on. Now, after witnessing the last 5 episodes of this series, i'm desperate to see what i've missed. Does anyone know where i can get the first season of Rome for the cheapest price? 

tell me what's on your, so-called, mind....

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 123
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 10:00:04 AM   
matty_b

I am SO gutted that it's finished. The absolute best thing on tv for ages - an it had so much potential to carry one for years. Top notch acting, great writing, just brilliant television.

And so sad at the end...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 124
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 10:10:11 AM   
Achtung Englander

thanks for the advice The Seed - just cancelled my order at 40 and will re-order when it does hit the 20 mark

Its all over - boohoo

I must admit I did shed a tear at the end when Vorenus reconciled with his daughter before dying and the totally brilliant piece of acting by Polly Walker when Attia was eying Octavian with a broken heart when Mark Antony's body was paraded during the Triumph

with Vorenus dead Series 3 had no where to go. Augustus's rule was pretty quiet and things only got interesting again when he reached old age and Livia started playing politics to get Tiberius into power - but we have I, Claudius for that.

Still think a prequel can be done but HBO aren't interested since the average rating was less than 3 million. Shame really as I thought it was excellent

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 125
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 11:58:14 AM   
elab49

Well, unlike some things this weekend at least Rome respected its characters.

Anthony - originally not so major but who became so popular - was given a fitting finale. As was Cleopatra, whose death was quite wonderful. We got a final fab Attia moment (no wonder Livia ended up aspiring to her!) and, most importantly, we got back where we started - with Vorenus and Pullo. I half wished it ended during the fight in a Butch and Sundance way - a perfect out.

Some wonderful lines - unless you were a Greek. Is Pullo a good man? Define good. From his 'brother'.

Lovely stuff, lovely end. And a show that gave us some wonderful deaths. I particularly liked Ciceros.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 126
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 12:32:11 PM   
AndyR

Fantastic end to one of  the best television shows in recent years. It's a travesty that there'll be no more episodes- can't someone start one of those petitions? If a studio's willing to keep making guff like Jericho because of fan pressure, surely Rome has a chance?

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 127
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 1:33:14 PM   
Achtung Englander

too true but it comes down to $

you must admit a production like Rome will cost a lot - I think it was something like a movie budget and it only brought in a handful of millions of viewers

I just loved this series - it was one of very few programs I followed and looked forward to. I have to had it to HBO they did it again and I hope that Band Of Brothers series 2 (Pacific Front) will be as good a quality. I am sure it will.

It is a real shame that the sets are going to be pulled down because if they kept it running and did a third series with the rise of Ceasar it would have been utterly brilliant. Imagine seeing the same characters you know so well develop their roles into the people they became, ie, when Caesar and Brutus were friends, when Pompey was someone Caesar admired, when Pullo and Vorenus were in the army slowly going up the ranks etc etc....a lost opportunity

(in reply to AndyR)
Post #: 128
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 2:39:14 PM   
AndyR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Achtung Englander

too true but it comes down to $

you must admit a production like Rome will cost a lot - I think it was something like a movie budget and it only brought in a handful of millions of viewers

I just loved this series - it was one of very few programs I followed and looked forward to. I have to had it to HBO they did it again and I hope that Band Of Brothers series 2 (Pacific Front) will be as good a quality. I am sure it will.

It is a real shame that the sets are going to be pulled down because if they kept it running and did a third series with the rise of Ceasar it would have been utterly brilliant. Imagine seeing the same characters you know so well develop their roles into the people they became, ie, when Caesar and Brutus were friends, when Pompey was someone Caesar admired, when Pullo and Vorenus were in the army slowly going up the ranks etc etc....a lost opportunity

Definitely a lost opportunity- if enough people had watched the show, they'd have carried on making it regardless of budget, I'd imagine.

I just can't understand why so few people watched it, it had everything: drama; comedy; action; romance; political intrigue; great acting; fantastic writing. Perhaps it was the setting that put people off? I've always been interested in ancient history,but I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Post #: 129
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 2:48:40 PM   
elab49

It would always have a limited audience in America - they have a hang-up about the sex - same as with their ratings for film. Stuff that rarely is an issue on British TV - we just judge on the show. They can't get past the bonking. It impacts on TV ratings too. And it is why anodyne fare like the CSIs and the other procedurals and kak reality shows rule the roost.  

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to AndyR)
Post #: 130
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 2:53:34 PM   
AndyR

That's a good point about the sex- bloody repressed Yanks and their Christian hang-ups.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 131
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 3:17:38 PM   
Captain Black

I'm not sure that's entirely true. As a wider television audience yes you're probably right (and as I think I mentioned in a previous post - I wonder how the "average" BBC viewer perceived it), however it's on HBO and I would assume that if you're subscribing to HBO, then you know what you're getting in terms of content. I don't think it's fair to compare it to a network show like CSI - by definition they have a wider potential audience than a pay channel and content to match. I think it's symptomatic of HBO's problems at present: they had their big guns (Sopranos, Sex & The City, Six Feet Under), the shows they built their reputation and ethos on, and all of which ended in a relatively short space of time. They had other things on the periphary that either didn't really take off, or didn't do well enough financially to merit their expense, regardless of quality. It's ultimately a business, innit? Now other people are catching up with them and they're struggling a bit. I think all networks go through this phase - look at NBC now and no doubt when the CSI bubble bursts CBS will be bricking it - but they've got high profile stuff coming up and some of it will no doubt catch on.

Rome was a good show, and certainly more meretricious than some of its contemporaries, but I won't mourn its departure. That closing shot was one of the all time greats too.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to AndyR)
Post #: 132
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 3:23:09 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

Really sad to see this go. It's been a great piece of TV. James Purefoy just gave a powerhouse performance last night, absolutely stunning.The entire cast has been flawless for the run really. Polly Walker has been incredible as Atia and Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson as well. It's a shame it's over I was really starting to relish Simon Woods' Octavian too.

www.myspace.com/ashleighcassegrain
Got Facebook?

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 133
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 3:36:34 PM   
elab49

Fair point - I thought it had a wider audience potential in the US because of the BBC involvement. I keep forgetting it was HBO. So it wouldn't be like for like. But it would be one of the reasons why more Americans don't subscribe to HBO. They don't seem to mind language though - that was one of the main comparisons with our respective censoring bodies - we pass more sex, they pass more language.

quote:

(in reply to troublemakerashleigh)
Post #: 134
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 3:53:49 PM   
AndyR

I didn't realise HBO was a subscription service- I take it Rome's viewing figures were low even in proportion to HBO's subscription figures?

The sad truth is that it does all boil down to money at the end of the day, and we were probably lucky to get two seasons of such a seemingly expensive show.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 135
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 4:44:57 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It would always have a limited audience in America - they have a hang-up about the sex - same as with their ratings for film. Stuff that rarely is an issue on British TV - we just judge on the show. They can't get past the bonking. It impacts on TV ratings too. And it is why anodyne fare like the CSIs and the other procedurals and kak reality shows rule the roost.  

I was over in America when they were promoting the show and most of the press talked about the design and violence. When it started showing in the UK, all the press talked about was the sexual content. BBC unwisely tried to exploit this controversy with their edits but it backfired. I even remember reading an article from some professor (in the Times, I think) about how inaccurate the show was and how it's just using the historical backdrop to present Americanised ultra-violence and a bit of T & A.

So it's quite the opposite!

I think the main problem was simply the Pilot and first couple of episodes were not strong enough. They were good but nowhere near as good as later episodes. Also, the first episodes took place during lots of battles but all they showed was slow-motion fighting between a couple of guys; it looked kind of cheap and tacky. There was that hilarious episode where they spend tenwty minutes building up to this huge battle, armoured up Caesar la Commando, he led his army out onto the battlefield then it fades to black. The next scene is Caesar sitting in his room, bloodied and mud-spattered, and he says "We won."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 136
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 4:59:37 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

am gona miss this show - loved the ending, im glad it didnt try to be too emotive - just vorenus gettng acceptance from his daughter.

final scene with atia and lybia or whatever her name was, was sensational - pure atia brilliance.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 137
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 5:23:05 PM   
Achtung Englander

Livia

She became a super bitch and although never proven historians believe she was responsible for the murder of 4 members of the Julii household all in line to the throne

remember Octavia's little girl Antonia - well she had a son - Germanicus - who was in line to take the throne after Octavian / Augustus because he had no direct lines of his own. Livia got rid of him and 2 of his nephews to clear the path for Tiberius (her son from her first marriage) who didn't even want the job !

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 138
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 5:37:25 PM   
AndyR

For people who've watched I, Claudius, is it worth watching? It's obviously going to lack the sets and effects of Rome, but would it substitute for a third series of Rome? I understand the plot centers around Octavian and Livia, and Brian Blessed's in the cast,  so I'm already half-sold- what do people think of it?

Post #: 139
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 5:39:55 PM   
furrybastard

Also, you may have noticed how Livia began to look like Atia as well. She started doing her hair exactly the same and even adopted some of her behavioural traits. Particularly the whole aggression thing. Turns out Octavian may have enjoyed being slapped by his mother quite a bit 

Post #: 140
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 6:18:28 PM   
princessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: troublemakerashleigh

Really sad to see this go. It's been a great piece of TV. James Purefoy just gave a powerhouse performance last night, absolutely stunning.The entire cast has been flawless for the run really. Polly Walker has been incredible as Atia and Kevin McKidd and Ray Stevenson as well. It's a shame it's over I was really starting to relish Simon Woods' Octavian too.

I agree 100% with you.  James Purefoy really made me sympathise and like Mark Anthony.  Some great perfomances particularly from Polly Walker and Kevin McKidd.  Polly and James MUST get some sort of award, particularly James...

Sad ending really didn't want Veronus? to die...  good that he made up with his kids....

(in reply to troublemakerashleigh)
Post #: 141
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 6:35:58 PM   
Hex

Im gonna miss Ray Stevenson as Titus Pullo so much (had to get a icon to help me cope).
And Polly Walker will always be Atia for me now, no matter what role she plays.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 142
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 7:49:05 PM   
batcountry84

quote:

ORIGINAL: sserplla

I've come into Rome quite late. I saw bits of season 1 but never really caught on. Now, after witnessing the last 5 episodes of this series, i'm desperate to see what i've missed. Does anyone know where i can get the first season of Rome for the cheapest price? 

I got Series 1 from Asda for 24. Cheapest I've seen.

The final episode was a corker. It had every emotion going. James Purefoy as Mark Antony was excellent, right down to the last moments. The scenes with Cleopatra were great, and when Antony was with Atia, they were on fire. I took a great liking to Atia, although a ruthless bitch, she had a softer side too, which showed whilst waiting for Antony to 'call for her' and at the final procession of the Triumph of Octavian.
I think this programme deserves to win many awards. All the cast were outstanding, especially James Purefoy, Polly Walker (she comes from next town to me), Simon Woods and Kevin McKidd. I am really sad this has been the last series but I suppose it has left on a high note.
Never saw the first series, but started watching from the second series. Have bought the first and intend to watch it this week. I can't wait.
I may end up buying I, Claudius to see where the story goes, as I hadn't a clue about Roman history and Rome has got me very intrigued.

One question: Is Augustus, Octavian? If so, why the name change?

< Message edited by batcountry84 -- 23/7/2007 8:19:19 PM >

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 143
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 7:59:31 PM   
AndyR

I think Augustus was more of an honorific title, rather than simply a name change, without going as far as naming him Emperor or somesuch.

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 144
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 8:01:47 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: batcountry84

One question: Is Augustus, Octavian? If so, why the name change?

I think it's a bit like Popes. Octavian and Augustus are the same person, yes. Maybe it has something to do with the perception of the ruler, that when you come into power in Rome, you become a God or deity (that was Julius and Augustus' perceptions anyway). Octavian is the name given to him by his parents, Augustus is his true name. Something like that anyway

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 23/7/2007 8:08:13 PM >

Post #: 145
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 8:18:26 PM   
batcountry84

Thanks Andy and Furry. That sounds about right.

Livia was a right bitch at the end but Atia soon shut her up. I loved that.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 146
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 23/7/2007 8:49:01 PM   
Hex

I loved how proud Octavia looked at that moment. Even after all the times Atia screwed her over she still looks up to her mum.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

Post #: 147
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 24/7/2007 9:44:08 AM   
Achtung Englander

Just read in Wikipedia that Augustus was his family name. Augustus's reign was considered to be the best in Roman history given that his 50 or so years saw no civil wars and a cultural and moral expansion of the Roman empire. Augustus I think means "austere"

I, Claudius is fantastic. I bought it 2 years ago and after episode 3 you become utterly hooked (watched the whole series every night till its was over) because it is fascinating to see Livia dispatch all of her rivals. Remember that I, Claudius is no Rome. It has far less smaller sets and the language is more high brow - infact I don't think it has any swearing and the nudity you see is almost laughable by today's standards. What it does have it the bucket loads is top quality acting and some really big stars (it also has Patrick Stewart in one his best roles). I, Claudius is also very political and when you watch it you will pick up so much about the Julii family - for example names like Agrippa, Antonia and Livia who are introduced in Rome series 2 get fleshed out and their history wonderfully played out.

The ending is also magical because it ends with Claudius becoming emperor and he reminisces about his family who all doubted him but gave him his dues for being smarter than the rest of them by out living them all - superb stuff !!!

< Message edited by Achtung Englander -- 24/7/2007 10:16:31 AM >

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 148
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 24/7/2007 12:53:55 PM   
AndyR

Thanks Achtung, I'll definitely check I, Claudius out soon then.

Post #: 149
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 24/7/2007 6:15:40 PM   
batcountry84

Same here, I might purchase I, Claudius.
Really interested to see how it goes.
I fancy seeing Caligula too!

(in reply to AndyR)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI