Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 11/7/2007 10:27:54 PM   
batcountry84

Atia may be a bitch, but like Bee Attack said, she's a bitch to your face, and she's ace! My fav person, along with Mark Anthony, in it. Such a strong character she has. Tonights episode was great but totally unexpected.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to bee attack)
Post #: 91
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 11/7/2007 10:39:18 PM   
Peppermint

Yes, Atia is a bitch and Servilia may well have been sly, but I'd be sly if I was in her position as well since Atia had a powerful man to protect her if she did go too far in her attempts to get revenge...Servilia had no-one.

I'm not buying that fling between Pullo and the slave, I'd have thought he's too much in love with Eirene to do that.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 92
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 13/7/2007 7:23:18 PM   
sserplla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Yes, Atia is a bitch and Servilia may well have been sly, but I'd be sly if I was in her position as well since Atia had a powerful man to protect her if she did go too far in her attempts to get revenge...Servilia had no-one.

I'm not buying that fling between Pullo and the slave, I'd have thought he's too much in love with Eirene to do that.

I should think that he was fulfilling his male urges, which his pregnant girlfriend could not attend to as she put it - "it will be bad for baby" (to which Pullo replies "oh he won't mind")

by the way where does his girlfriend, Eirene come from?

tell me what's on your, so-called, mind....

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 93
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 13/7/2007 7:34:23 PM   
Peppermint

I believe she's from Gaul (France)

I seem to remember picking that bit of info up from somewhere.

"What, again?"

(in reply to sserplla)
Post #: 94
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 14/7/2007 1:39:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I really don'y get what Servilia's problem is. Fair enough, she was tortured rather horribly but it wasn't Atia that killed Brutus was it? In any case, she's been cursing Atia and her family since day one practically. And why was Brutus off getting his army killed in the first place? Oh yeah, because he killed Caeser, which Servilia talked him into doing.

Don't like that slave woman at all, and I also didn't quite believe what happened between her and Pullo.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 95
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 11:12:54 AM   
Achtung Englander

I cannot believe this will be the last series - last night episode was superb, Not sure its historically accurate because did not Augustus (Octavian) marry Livia as his 3rd wife ??

I demand a Prequal with the rise of Caesar and we get to see Pullo and Vorenus do their stuff in the army

think of it
- Gaul
- Britain
- Spartacus

The only upside to Rome coming to an end is its replacement - Heros

...cool !!!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 96
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 11:17:04 AM   
King_Bard

Another great espoide last night.......I cant wait for next weeks espoide...
Anyone else think Simon Wood is getting better every espoide as Octovian?

(in reply to Achtung Englander)
Post #: 97
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 11:20:30 AM   
Achtung Englander

yes he is getting more comfortable with his role and also maybe his character is becoming more confident

I watched I, Claudius last year and it is so bizarre to see these two iconic TV series about Rome yet they are so very different

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 98
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 11:23:38 AM   
King_Bard

I have never watched I,Clauduis.....
I cant bealive Rome is nearly over...im going have to watch the first series again, which in my opinon is better than this one....the 2nd seires to me seems a bit rushed....

Post #: 99
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 11:34:19 AM   
Blunderbuss

Anyone else think its strange the way the BBC have treated season 2 of Rome, with multiple eps being shown each week at different times?

Considering the budget, the cast, the press baiting controversy and the critical plaudits for Season 1 I would have expected them to try and make more out of it rather than burying it in the Summer off season and putting it all out in the space of a month (to make way for Heroes). V. weird. Its almost as if they're embarrassed by it...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 100
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 11:47:51 AM   
Bickle

I'm confused. Is the series that's on BBC2 on Sunday nights the same as the HBO series which started in 2005?

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 101
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 12:07:49 PM   
Achtung Englander

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Bard

I have never watched I,Clauduis.....
I cant bealive Rome is nearly over...im going have to watch the first series again, which in my opinon is better than this one....the 2nd seires to me seems a bit rushed....

Seriously go see I, Claudius. It is one of the best dramas ever. It is dated given its confined sets but the acting is superb and by the 3rd episode you will be utterly hooked especially when you get to see how bad Livia can get. If you think Attia is bad just see what Livia does. Also it is a very good history lesson because Livia pushed to her son Tiberius from her 1st husband (called Claudius but is not the same Claudius from I, Claudius) to be the successor of Augustus and slowly plots to kill all male successors in the Julii family. This was hinted during last night's episode. Also Octavia who we now know is pregnant gives birth to Antonia who is the grandmother of the Claudius and the aunt to Caligua.

The Rome dynasty is really fascinating

< Message edited by Achtung Englander -- 16/7/2007 12:11:08 PM >

(in reply to King_Bard)
Post #: 102
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 1:10:29 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bickle

I'm confused. Is the series that's on BBC2 on Sunday nights the same as the HBO series which started in 2005?

Yes, this is the second series.

Is this really going to be the last series?

"What, again?"

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 103
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 1:42:40 PM   
Captain Black

It is yes.

I'm not quite sure how the economics work out, but Rome was a really expensive show (it's easy to see why) and its ratings in America simply didn't justify that expense. There was a period where S2 was on the edge of being made/not being made and I think the fact that the sets were built and HBO's relatively small number of shows tipped the scales in favour of S2 being filmed, but had they continued it would been a risk. I don't know how many viewers it got relative to their other shows. Across the board they were cutting down: Deadwood was another casualty,  The Wire just squeezed in for a fifth year because it's relatively inexpensive

I'm not really sure what the BBC themselves or audiences in general over here made of it. I bet a few people were a bit shocked after the first episode. It's a bit easier to digest of you're more familiar with HBO's other stuff - and it's very much an HBO production in terms of style and content. And yes, it does feel like the Beeb are just trying to get it out of the way quickly. Then again, are they going with Heroes on Wednesdays and The Tudors on Sundays? That may be the reasoning behind it; give them both a bit of a promotional push at once?

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 104
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 1:47:36 PM   
Peppermint

I would have thought it would make more sense to show The Tudors after Heroes, otherwise what's the point in them having rushed through this series of Rome? 

"What, again?"

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 105
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 2:02:36 PM   
Captain Black

Well I'm just speculating as to why they may have done it rather than trying to justify it. I guess the thinking is: once Rome ends (being broadcast two nights a week) the BBC now have two slots to shove new shows into. One that's similar in theme (The Tudors) and one that, erm, isn't (Heroes), but has buzz and potential they haven't had with an America show since 24.

The other thing is that they've got the rights to S2 of Heroes exclusively next year - so can broadcast it any time from January (though I'm guessing March or later is more likely). I've not worked out the week numbers, but I'm wonder if they'll try and cut down the gap between seasons of Heroes. They probably view The Tudors as a decent long term prospect too.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 106
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 5:53:07 PM   
AndyR

Well, I came on here to find out if anyone knew anything about a third series, so I'm pretty gutted right now. I guess I better make the most of these last two episodes...

A man chooses, a slave obeys.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 107
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 5:59:59 PM   
Hex

There was mention of the Tudors in the thread. Are the bbc getting this show? Has it been confirmed?

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to AndyR)
Post #: 108
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 6:05:56 PM   
batcountry84

I was praying Antony to punch Octavian last nite. Simon Wood is great as Octavian, even if he does remind me of an amphibian with those eyes.
So when Antony left, I was praying for Atia to slap Octavian. Alas, neither happened.
That slave girl is a right cow. If Pullo finds out, she's definately in for some horrible death. And although Pullo really loved Eirene, like Sserplla said, he just had sexual urges he needed fulfilling at that point in time.
Can't wait to see the upcoming stuff with Antony and Cleopatra.
Really gutted this is that last series though.

And you know what he said?.... I need about treefiddy.
*Uncle Rotter - Fit Goth Chicks*
My interview with Dyanne Thorne @ Horror Cult Films

(in reply to AndyR)
Post #: 109
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 6:42:26 PM   
furrybastard

We were lucky to get a second season, in all fairness to HBO. It was an expensive show to make and didn't get the ratings they were hoping for. I also think it was unfairly judged in the UK where all the media focused on the sexual content of the show and accusations of America dumbing Roman history down. It didn't help any that the BBC edited most of the political stuff out of the first couple of episodes and foregrounded the sexual content in order to cause controversy and up their ratings.

The ratings did climb in the US during its second season and I think the last couple of episodes was the series' strongest in terms of people watching. Of course by that time the sets had already been dismantled and the actors signed on to other projects. Pity, as the show really took off in its second season compared to the sometimes uneven first season (my opinion!).

The Tudors is alright but nowhere near as good as Rome.

(in reply to batcountry84)
Post #: 110
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 16/7/2007 7:12:52 PM   
The Seed

I actually think it's great that they've showed two episodes per week as apposed to just one; I tend to believe that with programmes like this it's best to watch all the episodes as closely together as possible.

Whenever i get I get a new HBO series/season on DVD I usually go on a binge and watch the whole thing within the space of a week or so. I did that with my Sopranos & Deadwood boxsets, as well as the first season of Rome, and I truly believe it's the best way to watch them.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 111
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 18/7/2007 6:38:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I hope that when it ends, bopth Vorenus and Pullo and still alive and still friends. I love how they's stayed close to one another despite all that's happened, even more so as they weren't  on the best of terms when the show started. I just have this feeling that with Vorenus now in Egypt with Anthony and Pullo loyal to Octavian, there's going to be some friction between the two.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to The Seed)
Post #: 112
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 18/7/2007 9:02:02 AM   
elab49

I can't believe it was this season before I realised it was Octavian was 'Brian Blessed'. I'd never really worked it into I Claudius before. Which made Livia turning up - and unsurprisingly biting the heads off birds - all the more interesting. Can't wait to see her and Atia together in the last 2 - the makers surely won't leave out potential sparks like that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 113
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 18/7/2007 11:30:24 PM   
Achtung Englander

wonderful episode tonight

When the box set comes out I am going to pre-order it without a doubt

to think there will be no Rome 3

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 114
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 19/7/2007 8:11:42 AM   
matty_b

Poor Pullo...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 115
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 19/7/2007 11:49:24 AM   
Achtung Englander

you just know that Pullo was going to find out but how was going to be intriguing

all the characters in this series are a lot more darker and it is interesting to see how a lot of them that were developed in the series 1 killed off in series 2 - it creates a huge amount of empathy and is very powerful because of that.

For example when Cicero was killed by Pullo it was a real shocker to see a character as funny and charming as Pullo do such an evil act on what was an armless much weaker man.

Great telly

(in reply to troublemakerashleigh)
Post #: 116
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 19/7/2007 12:41:56 PM   
elab49

I just noticed the query above and, actually, the Beeb have already discussed the reasoning. They were looking at ways to bring in audiences that were increasingly deserting TV showings for DVD boxsets hence, for Rome, the cumulative showings to appeal more to that market rather than dragging the season over 10 weeks. They might have had other reasons too but this was a pretty interesting way to go.  

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 117
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 19/7/2007 1:13:18 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I've really enjoyed having 2 episodes per week rather than having to wait the whole week for a new one. 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 118
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 19/7/2007 1:27:56 PM   
elab49

Ditto - I think it has kind of worked the way they wanted it to.

quote:

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 119
RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread - 20/7/2007 4:35:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I felt sorry for Pullo as well, I just wonder how things will turn out when he meets up with Vorenus. That finale episode could be excellent, all the stroylines coming to a head.

I find it interesting that all of those who plotted against Caeser are now dead, yet his family and second-in-command are now arch enemies. In some strange way it seems like the conspirators have actually achieved what they set out to do.

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Rome series 2 BBC 2 thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI