Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Brokeback Mountain

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Brokeback Mountain Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Brokeback Mountain - 1/5/2006 7:20:31 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I enjoyed it myself. Bit melachony though.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to mikioninja)
Post #: 181
RE: Brokeback Mountain - 1/5/2006 8:53:39 PM   
whomas

it blew me away at the cinema and then blew me away again last monday when i got on dvd!  its my favorate film of the year so far and it will be hard to beat. everyone who i talk to about it say its about gays why would you want to see that but its not just about cowboys its so much more and it should be veiwed as a love story not a gay cowboy film.

it's a trick get an axe

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 182
- 4/5/2006 1:05:31 PM  1 votes
doncopey1

Sensational acting of the highest and a touchy subject matter that will stay in the audiences mind for a long time, however its Brokeback wonderful music here that is the true winner beautifully constructed to show a beautiful love story and and a modern western image. However as pure entertainment its nothing special and the film itself isn't a classic as some people anticiapate. However a wonderful and beautifully made film that i'd strongly advise seeing! * * * *.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 183
RE: - 4/5/2006 3:42:17 PM   
adt100

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

Sensational acting of the highest and a touchy subject matter that will stay in the audiences mind for a long time, however its Brokeback wonderful music here that is the true winner beautifully constructed to show a beautiful love story and and a modern western image. However as pure entertainment its nothing special and the film itself isn't a classic as some people anticiapate. However a wonderful and beautifully made film that i'd strongly advise seeing! * * * *.

Being a 'good' film and an 'entertaining' one do not always go side by side. Many entertaining films I consider to be pretty average popcorn flick, but good fun nevertheless. BBM is an incredibly heavy going film IMO, though still more entertaining than many of the typically 'worthy' films out in the past year. As for it being a classic or not, you can't really judge until the passage of time. I think it will become a great classic though as fundamentally is a very traditional Hollywood type film that despite its subject matter will become pretty timeless.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 184
RE: RE: - 5/5/2006 9:02:11 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: adt100

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

Being a 'good' film and an 'entertaining' one do not always go side by side. Many entertaining films I consider to be pretty average popcorn flick, but good fun nevertheless. BBM is an incredibly heavy going film IMO, though still more entertaining than many of the typically 'worthy' films out in the past year. As for it being a classic or not, you can't really judge until the passage of time. I think it will become a great classic though as fundamentally is a very traditional Hollywood type film that despite its subject matter will become pretty timeless.

It will become a hollywood classic in terms of its subject matter as many films do no deal so strongly with such a subject. As a film despite being exceptionally well made certainly did not deserve the interpretation that it was an all time great, it deserved to be Crash for best picture, but i thought Munich was a far better film as was Capote as they both had greater impact on me. Brokeback is brillant though!

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to adt100)
Post #: 185
Urgh - 9/5/2006 10:13:36 AM   
alistairmclean81

Nobody prepared me for the tent seen disgusting!Good acting bu rubbish storyline overall.

Post #: 186
- 10/5/2006 10:59:23 PM   
6thplace

Firstly this movie is not as significant or important as some are suggesting. Its two men that fall in too a complicated love. big deal!
The film itself is a decent watch and superbly acted, especially Heath Ledger who portrays a range of steadily progressive emotions. The beginning and end are the most profound and significant parts but the middle third is alittle rushed. A very good film but it is not flawless.

Post #: 187
- 12/5/2006 3:46:43 PM   
smeagolsam

I first read about Brokeback Mountain in Empire way back in November, 2005. From the moment I had read the review and article, I just knew that it would be a moving, beautiful film. I read all I could about Brokeback Mountain until I finally saw it on January 6th 2006. I can honestly say the whole film reached a new level for me because it was like no other film I had seen before. The pacing was impeccable, the story heartwrenching, the cinematography amazing and the acting was truly stunning. It sounds contrived to churn out so many superlatives, but if I was to do it for any film, Brokeback Mountain more than deserves it. Jake Gyllenaal and Heath Ledger gave extraordinary performances, so honest and brutal that they really affected me. The supporting actors were also thoroughly convincing in portraying every aspect of this poignant film. It was stunning in every respect and I still can't see how Heath Ledger didn't receive an award because his wrenching ability to make the character of Ennis feel so real, will surely be remembered for a very long time to come.

Post #: 188
Well worth the wait! - 12/5/2006 3:46:58 PM  1 votes
smeagolsam

I first read about Brokeback Mountain in Empire way back in November, 2005. From the moment I had read the review and article, I just knew that it would be a moving, beautiful film. I read all I could about Brokeback Mountain until I finally saw it on January 6th 2006. I can honestly say the whole film reached a new level for me because it was like no other film I had seen before. The pacing was impeccable, the story heartwrenching, the cinematography amazing and the acting was truly stunning. It sounds contrived to churn out so many superlatives, but if I was to do it for any film, Brokeback Mountain more than deserves it. Jake Gyllenaal and Heath Ledger gave extraordinary performances, so honest and brutal that they really affected me. The supporting actors were also thoroughly convincing in portraying every aspect of this poignant film. It was stunning in every respect and I still can't see how Heath Ledger didn't receive an award because his wrenching ability to make the character of Ennis feel so real, will surely be remembered for a very long time to come.

Post #: 189
- 22/5/2006 4:40:25 PM   
dunner05

Put aside the arthouse director, eye-candy-with-talent leading men, Oscar buzz and 'worthy' message, and what you're left with is a fairly standard love story, albeit one with slightly more cock than usual. Had it been a hetero pairing at its centre and chances are most reviewers would have awarded the more deserving three stars than the overwrought five. Good, but certainly no more plaudit-worthy than the other over-praised Oscar-pretender, Crash

Post #: 190
Stunning movie - 31/5/2006 9:24:15 AM   
connyt

First of all - I loved the movie and think it is a true masterpiece. One thing that really annoys me is when people (like dunner05) say the following:

"Had it been a hetero pairing at its centre and chances are most reviewers would have awarded the more deserving three stars than the overwrought five."

Yes, perhaps this is true. But then, surely that's just like saying "Oh, Titanic wouldn't have been as popular if it weren't set on a ship", or, "King Kong wouldn't have got such rave reviews if it didn't have a giant ape in it." The fact the the two characters are gay is intrinsic to the plot and the entire movie! It was, after all, the reason they could not be together and was the driving force behind the majority of (if not all) the scenes in the film. So, to make a comment such as the one quoted above, is totally missing the point. Duh!

< Message edited by connyt -- 31/5/2006 9:29:37 AM >

Post #: 191
- 15/6/2006 2:52:16 PM   
ben454

An enjoyable interesting film whose main theme is love denied rather than gay cowboys. Both central actors prove there worth and tackle the subject in a beautiful and unexpected way. heath ledger specifically proves his worth and shows he is more than fluffy rom coms and denonstartes his characters turmoil silently yet resonately. The only concern in this film is the portayl of the women michelle willaims never away from a baby sink or tabard and anne hathaway with her ever more dolly partonesque characteristics are cliche and not very interesting. Love denied always makes an interesting view but ang lee accentuates the beautiful scenery and brings out ledgers career defing performance in this strangely wonderful take on love and tlife.

Post #: 192
- 15/6/2006 2:52:19 PM   
ben454

An enjoyable interesting film whose main theme is love denied rather than gay cowboys. Both central actors prove there worth and tackle the subject in a beautiful and unexpected way. heath ledger specifically proves his worth and shows he is more than fluffy rom coms and denonstartes his characters turmoil silently yet resonately. The only concern in this film is the portayl of the women michelle willaims never away from a baby sink or tabard and anne hathaway with her ever more dolly partonesque characteristics are cliche and not very interesting. Love denied always makes an interesting view but ang lee accentuates the beautiful scenery and brings out ledgers career defing performance in this strangely wonderful take on love and tlife.

Post #: 193
Superior Film making! - 31/7/2006 8:15:58 PM   
Rich Empire

I would rank this as an essential classic film of this decade. Powerful perfomances, a great score and beautifully shot. Brokeback Mountain has it all in premium quality. It is a little worrying that people get so snared up upon the fact it's about a love story netween two men. The point is that it is the tale of a beautiful love story that transends through the years. Grnated the fact that the subject is taboo at the period of the film is a factor to be taken in but it shouldn't be dwelled upon by anyone watching the film for the first time.
Ang Lee's vision of the film is both enchanting and compelling. (Hell the guy can even make a flock of sheep look artistic! Come on!)
A delicate story is mapped out with the tenderest detail with stunning scenery and first rate performances by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

Post #: 194
- 18/11/2006 8:54:59 PM   
A Man

this movie is nothing but a true classic top acting and breathtaking shots that blow you away. A movie that should be noticed for its efforts

Post #: 195
simple - 22/11/2006 8:15:18 AM   
lielow

every aspect to this story is five stars, from the landscapes to the acting on to the soundtrack, the list continues, only a fool would not recognise this masterpiece of cinema.

Post #: 196
Fantastic - 3/1/2007 12:39:14 PM   
Elf_princess1

What is great about this story, is that the focus is not purely on sex. Yes, we know that it happens, and some people may say it is too graphic, but it is essential to the story. The passion between the two men extends beyond that of passion for sex, but is a true, heartfelt love that they know they have never and will never have with anyone else.
The time they dont spend together makes them realise how much they need eachother, which makes this fim all the more beautiful and moving. They have their own lives (wife, kids, job, etc) but still need eachother to, really, be happy.
The scenery is magnificant, the actors briliant, and the story beyond words. Its just a shame that there is so much controversy over it, as people still wont open their minds to this idea. This is truly a masterpiece and set to be Ang Lees greatest film.

Post #: 197
- 4/1/2007 1:44:16 PM   
moviemaniac2

A brilliantly acted and unbearably sad romance.

Post #: 198
Stately - 13/1/2007 4:24:30 PM   
Caster

Great performances, yes, but otherwise it's not really sure what it wants to say and takes a long time to not say it.

Post #: 199
Stately - 13/1/2007 4:24:33 PM   
Caster

Great performances, yes, but otherwise it's not really sure what it wants to say and takes a long time to not say it.

Post #: 200
- 13/2/2007 3:43:40 AM   
killervideotape

Ang Lee's elegant drama, appears at first to threaten to spill over into melodrama, however, due to a understated and senstive script, quietly powerful acting from all concerned and a hushed, dream-like soundtrack, Lee creates a vivid landscape of longing and heartbreak. Unfortunately, the meaningful silences tend to grate after a while, but other than it's saggy middle section, everything about the film works. Michelle Williams and Ledger stand out amongst an excellent cast, but it's the heartbreaking, endlessly haunting final moments that seal the deal on what is ultimately, not a love story, but a story of loss.

Post #: 201
Why the love???? - 29/3/2007 9:44:44 PM   
skeletonjack

I really don't understand why people love this movie, for me it's slow and tedious.
Decent acting yes, but its so boring......
It's obvious that people on this forum like the movie, but for me its the type of film people say they like because they feel thats what they should say rather than what they actually believe.

Post #: 202
- 18/4/2007 9:53:08 PM   
lynnshep

Boring, tedious, and plodding. Are we all watching the same movie? No one I know who has seen this movie liked it. The acting is terrible, the accents are atrocious, the writing is decent at best (hard to believe it was written by the same man who did Lonesome Dove), and the directing is adequate. The only saving grace is the cinematography and the attractive stars. I applaud the subject matter and its boldness but thought it could have been MUCH better.

Post #: 203
- 10/5/2007 1:18:08 PM   
killervideotape

"It actually showes the cowboys fucking each other up the ass"

How pathetic and small-minded. Take your "opinions" (AKA homophobia) elsewhere.

Post #: 204
- 22/10/2007 10:50:16 AM   
bobbyperu

ang lee rarely failes to suprise

Post #: 205
- 22/10/2007 10:50:16 AM   
bobbyperu

ang lee rarely failes to suprise

Post #: 206
- 28/11/2007 8:25:33 PM   
mozzy_gal

i haven't seen the film so i'm rating it in between what people have done. I just wanted to say that i totally see where skeletonjack is coming from and i agree with you on the fact that some people say what they think is right to say so they don't offend anyone or anything, not what they believe. good point.

Post #: 207
Heart Breaking - 22/3/2008 5:57:48 PM   
dja_list

This is a great love story. Heart breaking and stunning acting. Don't really understand skeletonjack's comments about people feeling like they should like this film to be PC, as this is a great heart breaking film. Worth watching, it is slow but that only builds a stronger story.

Post #: 208
Brokeback Mountain - 28/8/2008 10:49:03 AM   
Maria Nunes G. P.

It’s a contemporary story about a forbidden love that takes place in the beautiful landscapes of Wyoming… Up to here it looks like a completely common love story, but everything changes when it’s said that the never-meant-to-be lovers are two cowboys.
This time director Ang Lee breaks all boundaries and all prejudices to create a love/drama movie that unfortunately many may incorrectly label “gay” movie.
Ennis del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) are two cowboys who work together on Brokeback Mountain grazing cattle and unexpectedly fall in love for each other. This movie is much about the performances of the two protagonists, as it’s very physical(too much physical some may say) and intense, and what really makes this movie so intense it’s not big dialogues scenes, but every move, every sight, every expression on the face of the two lovers, it’s like there’s some kind of body language in their relationship; and Heath Ledger is such a surprise, as he was able to brig to his character such a complexity: thru his silence and isolation we can understand how claustrophobic he is inside himself and the struggle he takes to hold back his feelings and at the same time to let them came out, his marriage (yes both have a social acceptable marriage) that becomes something painful, his tears and the love he fells for/exchanges with Jack.
Added to this there are some powerful secondary characters like Alma (Ennis wife), who doesn’t knows if she is feeling compassion or loathing for her husband when she discovers he maintains a secret love affair with other man.
The movie show us the development of their relationship – which means their inner ruin – during 20 years , how they fall in love, how they try to hide it, with all the intensity of what becomes a love/hate relationship.
This movie is an amalgam of emotions and feelings, it can be at same time violent and sensitive, a story of love, a story of hate, it’s about passion and about despair, it’s raw and soft, it’s everything that Ennis and Jack went thru; and what’s so important about it is the fact that it goes beyond every stereotype of being a gay movie, it’s more than a story about two man who fall in love, it’s a powerful drama about love and whether we want it or not an excellent movie.

Post #: 209
- 26/9/2008 6:14:14 AM  1 votes
prisefighter

Ang Lee's direction of what should be a heart wrenching love story is juvenile at best. Compared to the power of the story it is based on, Lee's slow, ponderous, and contrite portrayal seems to mock the subject and destroy the love that should exist in the movie.
Lee banked on controversy to sell the movie and forgot he still had make a movie worth watching.
I hate to be a "I'm a fan of the book (short story) so the movie is terrible" kind of people, but when on one hand you have story that can bring you to tears and it gets completely gutted it of all emotional value, you have to begin to ask if hack directors like Lee should be able to make any movie, ever.

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Brokeback Mountain Page: <<   < prev  4 5 6 [7] 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI