Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

the DEATH WISH films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> the DEATH WISH films Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
the DEATH WISH films - 14/6/2007 5:27:30 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

ok, recently my friend has been getting me into these movies. However, so far, I've only 2, 3 and 4. Now 3, blew my mind, it was amazing, so over the top and cheesy, proper 80's action stylee! I know i need to watch the first movie as that's the 'proper' one and the 'serious/ credible' one. But based on the 3 i've seen so far, i've fallen in love with the ridiculously over the top nature of these movies. Any other fans out there?

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!
Post #: 1
RE: the DEATH WISH films - 15/6/2007 1:23:26 PM   
Joker7

Oh yes! I'm also trying to get into them but only watching them as they appear on the Sky Movies. I bought the first one, which is more a character development than a mad shoot em up but still a good movie. Although I was expecting the shoot em up so I was well chuffed with 3. I've only seen 1, 3 and 5 - 5's pretty bad. What are 2 and 4 like? Is 4 much like 3 with the big artillery?

Have you paid your dues Jack? Yessir the cheque is in the mail...

It's all in the reflexes...

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 2
RE: the DEATH WISH films - 15/6/2007 7:05:48 PM   
Horror Nut

I really enjoyed the first movie, very good. I only saw the beginning of 4 for some reason, and 5 is shit imo. Haven't seen 2, 3 and most of 4 yet. Are they worth seeing???

"Justin, someone just came on your cat".

"It's impossible to reconcile. It's kind of in a purgatory of it's own: you're not in heaven, you're not in hell......you're in Hollywood".

The New and Improved Horror Nut.......in 3D!!!

(in reply to Joker7)
Post #: 3
RE: the DEATH WISH films - 17/6/2007 5:03:35 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I have the first film (uncut ) on DVD.  Enjoyable.  A little brutal (the rape scene), but worth it just to see Charles Bronson blast punks away with a six-shooter!

Post #: 4
RE: the DEATH WISH films - 30/8/2008 1:36:17 PM   
Mason Verger

All five were included in a box set, but it's now out of print.

Death Wish - The Vigilante Collection (5 Disc Box Set) @ EzyDVD

They will probably be re-released when Sylvester Stallone's remake comes out.

Sly Has A Death Wish

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 5
RE: the DEATH WISH films - 30/8/2008 4:43:35 PM   
Chris66

I liked Death Wish but I watched some of Death Wish 2 and I thought it was awful so I haven't watched any of them past the first film. I'm interested to see what the remake will be like. 

< Message edited by Chris66 -- 30/8/2008 4:46:07 PM >

"We just wanted to say we're a big fan of your work. When it comes to killing Nazis... I think you show great talent. And I pride myself on having an eye for that kind of talent. Your status as a Nazi killer is... still amateur. We all come here to see if you wanna go pro... '"

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 6
RE: the DEATH WISH films - 30/8/2008 5:28:08 PM   
paul.mccluskey

I seen a heavily cut version of Death Wish 2 on Channel 5 a few months ago.  It was average.  The first film was a lot better.

(in reply to Chris66)
Post #: 7
RE:the DEATH WISH films - 6/9/2008 1:34:14 PM   
Mason Verger

Death Wish 1 is like First Blood in that it's the most serious and critically acclaimed. Death Wish 3 is like Rambo 3 in that it's the silliest and most fun. Death Wish 3 was filmed in England! There's a book on all five films.

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 6/9/2008 1:35:01 PM >

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 8
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 7/1/2009 8:38:44 PM   
Mason Verger

"Written as "penance" for the DEATH WISH movie, Brian Garfield's novel DEATH SENTENCE picks up Paul Benjamin as he arrives in Chicago. He feels compelled to continue avenging on his family, who were the victims of senseless vicious attacks. Now he learns that his vigilante behavior is not a solution. Instead, it's a terrible new problem that becomes a dreadful menace, to him and to the woman he loves. ."

Post #: 9
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 8/1/2009 10:15:33 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Death Sentence was a fantastic movie.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 10
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 4/7/2012 12:37:03 PM   
Bloke from Oz

I saw #3 only recently; its hilarious in many unintentional ways, but it is an entertaining action movie. From what I understand, the first 2 films are more vigilante movies than action flicks.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

Post #: 11
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 4/7/2012 5:19:46 PM   
Spaldron

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen any of the Death Wish films.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 12
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 4/7/2012 5:50:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

I own that book, and rather enjoy the films.

Part 3 is a great drinking movie - have a shot every time a car explodes.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 13
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 31/1/2013 3:21:12 AM   
Sutty

Think I saw Death Wish 1 or 2 as a kid. Wasn't Jeff Goldblum in one of them? Thinking of going back to the series and having a look. Perhaps in todays current climate they will have a resonance. And of course with Winners passing.
Anyone else got any thoughts on these movies? Radical wish fulfullment or a thoughtful comment on society?

"Lord, make me your instrument of peace. Where there is hatred, let me bring love.
Where there is darkness, light."

"When you're pushed, killin's as easy as breathin'"

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 14
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 31/1/2013 3:43:38 PM   
Cool Breeze

Never seen any of these movies despte being a fan of cheesy 80s action flicks.Must take a look at them soon.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Sutty)
Post #: 15
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 31/1/2013 9:36:14 PM   
Mister Coe

Death Wish is a very over-rated movie. OK if you're feeling like spending a bit of time in the 70's, but not anywhere close to being the classic that some nostalgic people would have you believe.

Death Wish 2 is, in my humble opinion, quite a bit better, Winner and Bronson taking the money and cranking up the bloodshed. A pretty decent actioner.

Death Wish 3 is my favourite, a mid-80's slice of stupid mayhem with utterly no sense, rhyme or reason to any of it. I mean, Bronson buys a massive fucking rocket-launcher by MAIL ORDER? It's full of destruction and flying bullets and is well worth a watch when you're full of beer and pizza. An additional note... Michael Winner turned the East End of London into New York a few years before Stanley Kubrick turned the same space into Vietnam for FULL METAL JACKET. Respect, Mr Winner, RIP...

As for Death Wish 4 and 5... utter dogshit, both of them. I can't even be bothered to say a single word about them. Check 'em out if you're utterly bored one night, just don't come to me if you think they're crap...

Say what now?

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 16
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 1/2/2013 1:57:10 PM   
great_badir

Agree that the first one is a totally over rated film - acting and directing is all over the place and the script is a bit shaky too. About the only things which save it are the cinematography, editing and Herbie Hancock's score.

2 is more of the same but worse.

3 is brilliant, if only for the mail order rocket launcher and a final death scene that was so good it was repeated in 4.

4 and 5 are like made for TV chaff.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 17
RE: RE:the DEATH WISH films - 4/2/2013 9:35:38 PM   
Mister Coe

Anyone know what happened to the Stallone remake of DEATH WISH? It was good to go a few years back, but we've heard nothing since. I would have thought it would have been a good move for him, a well-known francise that could have been rebooted without having to address how old he is nowadays and not having him to do young-man heroics like he was in his thirties again.

And to the guys who have mentioned DEATH SENTANCE... good call. Excellent movie.

Say what now?

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> the DEATH WISH films Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI