Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 5/5/2007 7:15:37 PM   
Maria Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackadder89

As with my suggestion above, Christianity, or at least the Catholic Church, does not in fact "encourage sexual repression". In fact, sex is deemed the most sacred act that any human can partake in, since it creates human life, and therefore a soul. It is for this reason that Churches have many rules on sexual conduct, but do not, as accused, promote sexual repression.

What about Christianity's stance on gay sex? I would view that as sexual repression.

< Message edited by Maria Noir -- 5/5/2007 7:17:07 PM >

The Empire Script Challenge: Month 19 - Look Through The Looking Glass

"And our bodies are earth. And our thoughts are clay. And we sleep and eat with death."

"- Are we going to let politics get in the way of our friendship?
- Friendship? You told people I lured children into my Gingerbread House!
- Haha. Yeah. That was just a lie."

(in reply to blackadder89)
Post #: 91
RE: RE: - 5/5/2007 7:57:13 PM   
meh...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Anyone heard word on a first trailer , cant be long surely.

according to USA Today, it will be attached to the POTC3 when it comes out in three weeks.
Theres also a poster (official me thinks) of Iorek and Lyra over at http://bridgetothestars.net/.

I don't discriminate. I HATE EVERYONE!

myspace.com/probablyconfused

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 92
RE: RE: - 6/5/2007 9:50:27 AM   
JennieC

Theres some footage from the film (some effects still to be completed) in the 'movie' section of that site, its a behind the scenes look, a couple of minutes long.  The film looks spectacular, although the vocal from DBR featured is a bit, well, naff.  I hope she isn't as hammy at that makes her sound.

"Golden - he came here from another planet, but that planet is awesome man"

(in reply to meh...)
Post #: 93
RE: RE: - 7/5/2007 11:04:57 AM   
Figures

My gut feeling is that it'll be viewed as this Xmas's Fantasy Movie.  It won't be Eragon bad, but it won't be LOTR or Harry Potter good.  Probably something as good as The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe

(in reply to JennieC)
Post #: 94
RE: RE: - 29/5/2007 10:45:22 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Figures

it won't be LOTR or Harry Potter good

You must be confused?

I'm only kidding, but seriously i hope this film rocks as it has brilliant source material and an amazing cast.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Figures)
Post #: 95
RE: RE: - 4/6/2007 4:38:31 PM   
matlfc

Are they releasing these 1 a year like potter and rings? I cant wait for the films. Loved the books.

"Victory is mine"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 96
RE: RE: - 5/6/2007 10:07:31 AM   
mafyou

Er...good question but i don't think that they are. There would probably have been more news about the others and i guess they want to make sure it does well at the box office? I could be wrong however!

There is a little behind the scenes thing at aintitcool today. Kind of just looks like the behind the scenes of the new trailer.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to matlfc)
Post #: 97
RE: RE: - 5/6/2007 11:16:20 AM   
matlfc

Good point. I guess they do want to see how it does first. On a seperate note i would love to see films made of The Belgariad by David Eddings. Superb books.

"Victory is mine"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 98
RE: RE: - 5/6/2007 3:25:27 PM   
jimoakley666

I can't wait to see this film.

I loved the books/story and think the guys in charge of the film version are doing a cracking job, from what ive seen. I would've done a few things different myself, yeah, design wise, but thats cause im a designer and illustrated the book myself in uni. I always thought of it being very victorian in appearance, the Bears in Samurai-style plated metal armour, the Zepplins looking exactly like Hindenburg (just traditional white canvas) and of Azriel as a James Bond era Sean Connery. How ironic. Perfect casting with DC.

Yeah, I would love it to keep its religious themes or the warnings against blindly strong beliefs and i wish they would call it by its proper title for fuck's sake. What was the need for a stupid Americanised change anyway? Its only them it was changed for. Its Northern Lights in the rest of the world.
But if Philip Pulman is happy with the direction its all moving then thats all the approoval we need.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to matlfc)
Post #: 99
RE: RE: - 5/6/2007 8:37:19 PM   
KennyM

I'm going over the books again and just finished Northern Lights last night. I do reallly have a soft fpot for the books, but am still worried about how it's gonna translate onto scree, and what parts, if any, they are goin to chop out. It's quite a heavy novel with heavy themes and by no means a kids book, quite brutal in parts with younglings dying and such, I only hope they dont "kiddiefy" it too much.

(in reply to jimoakley666)
Post #: 100
- 23/8/2007 4:22:09 PM   
Bond11

i tried reading the book but gave up half way

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 101
RE: - 3/12/2007 3:07:39 PM   
samthemanc

I absolutely love the trilogy, it's so imaginative. Pissed off they're keeping the Yank title for us brits but can't wait to see he film. I know i'll be annoyed by Iofer being renamed as there's no point and i don't get why they appear to have made Iorek's armour Gold. But these are small concerns. It's going to be interesting to see what happens though because at this rate Dakota Blue Richards (is that right) is going to be around 17 if they complete all three at this rate and the whole trilogy only takes place in the space of the year.

With regard to Will i'm surprised people found him a dull character i like him i think he's very interesting.
Who do we reckon for 'the shaman' (tryin not to spoil it for anyone) in the subtle knife, Tim Roth could be good, he looks ill
and Sir Chalres Latrom (i reckon Ian McKellan, I know he's Iorek but i think he could pull off both)

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months. - Oscar Wilde

From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put. - Winston Churchill

Dying's a day worth living for - Captain Barbossa

(in reply to Bond11)
Post #: 102
RE: RE: - 9/12/2007 10:22:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: samthemanc

I absolutely love the trilogy, it's so imaginative. Pissed off they're keeping the Yank title for us brits but can't wait to see he film. I know i'll be annoyed by Iofer being renamed as there's no point and i don't get why they appear to have made Iorek's armour Gold. But these are small concerns. It's going to be interesting to see what happens though because at this rate Dakota Blue Richards (is that right) is going to be around 17 if they complete all three at this rate and the whole trilogy only takes place in the space of the year.

With regard to Will i'm surprised people found him a dull character i like him i think he's very interesting.
Who do we reckon for 'the shaman' (tryin not to spoil it for anyone) in the subtle knife, Tim Roth could be good, he looks ill
and Sir Chalres Latrom (i reckon Ian McKellan, I know he's Iorek but i think he could pull off both)

Looking at what it made at box office in America this weekend you shouldn't bother yourself worrying about this.

On the bright side whoever Warner Brothers bring in to take over New Line will prob be ordered to get Jackson and the Hobbit made asap.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to samthemanc)
Post #: 103
- 16/12/2007 4:40:30 AM   
siegfried

I read all three volumes of His Dark Materials in a week - couldn't put them down. However, I have my doubts as to whether I'll be satisfied with the film, mainly because of what I've read regarding the toning down of the anti - Catholic sentiments of the books. Nicole Kidman would seem to be ideal casting for the role of Mrs Coulter, as I've always thought of her as having a rather cold personality. As for the rest, I guess I'll just have to wait and see and hope that they do one of my favourite books more justice than was done to Eragon. [If I were Christopher Paolini, I'm sure I'd be wanting to string the makers of that fiasco up by their necks.] SIEGFRIED

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 104
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI