Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

His Dark Materials Northern Lights

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> His Dark Materials Northern Lights Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 28/11/2005 5:45:20 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Bad film - 3/1/2006 3:01:09 PM   
gillian12984

Right, im pretty sure your just out to kill the book for fun as you have nothing else to do apart from start fights on the internet. Everyone is entitles to their opinion, but your post (including your own thread you started-yeah, read that too) is just war-mongering. Please, I BEG you, dont go and see the film, youll be like one of those old ladys that write to the BBC to complain about a swear word that your warned about before the program starts. Let the rest of us enjoy it in peace. I loved the books, my copy of Northern Lights is in complete tatters because Iv read it so many times.
I am worried about the film though, so much could go wrong if they deviate from the book at all. Heres hoping it wont ruin it.
Post #: 2
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 4/1/2006 7:23:03 PM   
Latex Zebra

I saw the Theatre production of this, having not read the books first. It was so long they had to split into two parts of nearly 3 hours each.
It was very well done even with limited "effects" on offer. Split over 3 films at 2 hours each I see no problems at all if the story floats your boat.

< Message edited by Latex Zebra -- 4/1/2006 7:25:04 PM >

Did you see the size of that godamn Chicken?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: RE: - 4/1/2006 8:12:47 PM   
Sundance

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

My concern is that with a little known director he isn't going to have the minerals to stand up to the studio execs.  That mean the story is going to be seriously watered down to pander to the American Bible Belt. To my mind if they aren't going to do these book properly they should just leave well alone.

Tucker doesn't have a lot of choice, Chris Weitz has already chickened out of keeping in the religious themes and they're keeping his screenplay.

I don't hold out a lot of hope for the HDM films. I think Tucker is a good choice for director but I know they're going to water down the story and I suspect they're going to "Potter-ize" it too. Also this film was supposed to be out in 2005, it's not a great sign that's it's constantly being pushed back.
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 6/1/2006 7:18:07 PM   
superhman

oooh cant wait to see it. i hope they make the film well. heh hope they make the trilogy it would be good to see some knife and bears etc. not seen bears in a film for a long time.

i couild leave the house if i really wanted, honest

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 5
RE: Religion - 9/1/2006 11:32:41 PM   
sanchia

Having read an interview with the director regarding this film I believe that those who love the books will be hard pressed to recognise the films (or film depending on the gross).  The religious aspect is the central tenant and to paraphrase the article "even though we have removed the religious aspects it will still be a wonderful film".  Maybe but it will not be the story from which the film is supposedly taken.

Still perhaps I'll reserve my judgement 'til it's finished. 

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superhman)
Post #: 6
Concerned - 10/1/2006 8:19:57 AM   
Funkyrae

Whilst Narnia has proven that you can animate animals to get them to talk and Iorek will be no problem, again considering what Narnia has done, I'm worried about how much this will translate to the screen. I enjoyed the books but thought they were hellishly complex, which is possibly why I enjoyed them so much, but to the screen? I really hope they get it right. If they do, then it will deserve every star it gets and a new family classic will be born, but they could make it too saccharine and take out all of the threat involved. Will they also take the wrong view and end it all happily?

Post #: 7
RE: Concerned - 10/1/2006 4:36:09 PM   
Yokima

The comments that they're going to cut out a lot of the religous stuff concerns me- how the HELL are they going to do The Amber Spyglass if they try to be unreligous? As for Northern Lights (Please, please, let it be released as that here...>,<), i'm hoping they don't ruin it. There are some great scenes in that novel (The daemon's release, the whole Svalbard sequence, others like that) and I'll be very upset if they don't do the book justice. And I hope they keep it British- it's a very british film in many ways, I hope they don't lose that in this adaptation

The Emir of Groovefunkistan

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 8
RE: Concerned - 10/1/2006 6:15:05 PM   
oogieboogie

No Weasleys, Dumbledores or Buckbeaks in sight. HDM is the BEST series of kids books ever written. 2007 can't come soon enough. Hogwarts you have been warned!

(in reply to Yokima)
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 10/1/2006 6:56:52 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Bear

Why the Golden Compass and not the Northern Lights? Must EVERYTHING be Americanised?

Anyhow...this is a minor quibble....if they do the books justice they could call it the Chuckle Brothers go nuts in Cleethorpes!!

Is it the american term then? when i lived in Finland both them and the other nordic countries referred to it as "the northern lights".

Post #: 10
RE: RE: - 10/1/2006 7:04:21 PM   
Yokima

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Bear

Why the Golden Compass and not the Northern Lights? Must EVERYTHING be Americanised?

Anyhow...this is a minor quibble....if they do the books justice they could call it the Chuckle Brothers go nuts in Cleethorpes!!

Is it the american term then? when i lived in Finland both them and the other nordic countries referred to it as "the northern lights".

Yeah- in America, it was called 'The Golden Compass' while in most other countries, it was Northern Lights.

It's kinda misleading really...as it isn't a compass. XD

I'm not sure about the other two books in the series though? Are they both still named 'The Subtle Knife' and 'The Amber Spyglass'?

The Emir of Groovefunkistan

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 11
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 16/2/2006 12:50:26 AM   
kirk

after reading the 3 books for a 3rd time (they are so good) i cant help but think studio gibli should do this series justice, would it be amazing......for anyone whos seen spirited away or howls moving castle, u will know what i mean......

also is it true they want to cut out all the trying to kill god, destroy heaven bit.......thats the whole point of the ruddy books!!!!!!

god dam it,

i hate it when they do that to films

imagine the da vinci code, with no church reffrance, or saving private ryan with no war.........

i just dont make sence/

still a film would be amazing
should be lord of the rings style epic

and

nicole kidman for mrs coulter!!!!!!!

Post #: 12
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 16/2/2006 7:08:25 PM   
~Angel~

I love these books!!! Bloody marvelous masterpieces by a great author!!! Never knew it was comin out in film though!!!!! WOW!!!!!

(in reply to kirk)
Post #: 13
- 18/2/2006 8:50:28 PM   
hannah-marie

People really need to stop freaking out about book-to-film adaptations. It's a different genre, therefore it's going to be different - but that doesn't necessarily mean bad! I have no doubt that with Pullman on board it will retain the same elements that were so key in making the trilogy fabulous, and with modern CGI they can do some fantastic stuff with bringing the daemons to life. The only thing that we should be worrying about is the casting of Lyra...

Post #: 14
Loved the books - 28/2/2006 2:35:46 PM   
goldengirl

I've read the books and they were brilliant! I hope the movie can be as magical as the books. I heard it's all going to be in anime. wow. That's going to take ages to do all three. Do you think it will live up to the magical books?
Oh by the way there was another book to the triligy called "Lyra's Oxford". But a word of advice don't read it. It is rubbish compared to the triligy, believe me when I say this it isn't worth it.

< Message edited by goldengirl -- 28/2/2006 2:43:02 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Loved the books - 10/4/2006 2:10:49 PM   
carmencat6

Read the books and thought they were brilliant. Obviously the films are going to be different to books, you can't make them exactly the same. Though I hope they don't cut out all the religious stuff just to please people and make it less controversal. It annoys, especially with the HP, that people get upset when the film misses out bits from the book - they can't include it all in. TPOA was my fav HP film but loads of people I know though it was rubbish because it didn't follow the book entirely.

As to the auditions, I'm taking my younger sister along and she's definately not private school/ stage school child, though I expect they'll be loads of them there. I really hope they don't pick one of those, like for the Stormbreaker films. Have you seen the trailer? The boy to play Alex looks so OTT public school.

(in reply to goldengirl)
Post #: 16
RE: - 10/4/2006 4:04:47 PM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gorfbeast

THE greatest childrens books of all time without question. If they get it right then this film and inevitable sequels could well make a small spectacle wearing wizard cack his pants.

*COUGH**SPLUTTER*BLECH*, er no, I'm certainly questioning it!!!!  They were ok, hugely over-rated tho...

The whole thing is just an attack on religion.  I'm not making any judgement on that, but to take the religion out of the films, what exactly is it they are making?!?!  There's nothing left (and it wasn't great to start with!)...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!
Post #: 17
RE: RE: - 10/4/2006 4:13:09 PM   
KennyM

Yes but there's polar bears... in armour.... fighting. Loved the books but did think when i was reading them they'd be pretty much umfilmable. The religious thing is a bit iffy, but i thought the biggest thing would be the making the deamons good enough.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 18
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 11/4/2006 12:18:42 PM   
miss_phoenix

the books were  simply amazing and i think that it will be a make or break as far as the film is concerned, the book by pullmam will be a spectacular film if paired up with the director and crew, otherwise it could ruin the book altogether   

Post #: 19
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 11/4/2006 8:16:47 PM   
carmencat6

Went to the audition today with my sister. We got there at 8:15 and were out by 10. There was about 700 kids there when we queueing but I was told the line went all the way down the road, which is pretty long.
We went in and the children were taken upstairs to meet the casting directors and they were down in 10 minutes. Six girls got picked out of the 50 - 100 that went in. Which means there will be six girls out of every group that went in - so alot.
My sis said that they just picked girls at random, blonde, brunette - tall, short. They asked a few questions and that was it.
The lucky 6 had their photos taken or did a scene in front of camera. Unfortunately my sis didn't get picked but one of the girls we were standing with was - she looked like a mini cho cheung.

Post #: 20
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 11/4/2006 8:17:27 PM   
carmencat6

So the last venues on wed/thurs. Can't wait to see who they pick?

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 21
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 26/5/2006 4:45:26 PM   
Baby in the corner.

Just thought I'd ressurect this thread again. So far there's been no further developments on the pre-production front, at least that's what it says on imdb. It looks like they're still working with Weitz's script under the book's American title "The Golden Compass" (according to Wikipedia the title will be changed to "Northern Lights" here) and religion still isn't featured in the script. It's also rumoured that Pullman would like Nicole Kidman to play Mrs Coulter and Gerald Butler/Jason Issacs to play Lord Asriel.

As long as the film's cast is still undecided (and that I'm a bit bored today) I'd like to reccomend the following:

Alexander Siddig for Lord Asriel. If you saw him in the BBC version of "Hannibal" you'd know where I'm coming from:

[image]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/attackcat/Alexander20Siddig20-20120-2030020-2.jpg[/image]

As for Mrs Coulter, I think Nicole Kidman circa "Birthday Girl" would be perfect:

[image]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/attackcat/birthdaygirl.jpg[/image]

Josh Holloway (i.e. Sawyer from "Lost") for Lee Scoresby:

[image]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/attackcat/Lost-sawyer.jpg[/image]

Clémence Poésy (Fleur Delacour from "Harry Potter") as Serafina Pekkala:

[image]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/attackcat/clemencepoesy17.jpg[/image]

And Vin Diesel as the voice of Iorek Byrnison.

< Message edited by Baby in the corner. -- 26/5/2006 4:52:38 PM >

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 22
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 26/5/2006 4:51:56 PM   
Baby in the corner.

Okay I don't know wtf has happened to the image links, but they were fine on the preview. Just click the quote button if you want to see the pictures.

< Message edited by Baby in the corner. -- 26/5/2006 4:53:23 PM >

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "

(in reply to Baby in the corner.)
Post #: 23
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 26/5/2006 5:15:54 PM   
Katamarang

I'm very scared about this film but I guess that's natural when a book you love is adapted... I don't really like the idea of Josh Holloway as Lee Scoresby, he's way too young and good looking. Nicole Kidman could be interesting but I dunno, can she do evil she always seems really breathy to me... I don't really like the idea of Gerad Butler or Jason Issacs either, neither of them look nearly threatening enough. And as for the exclusion of religion in the script, that just fills me with total dread. I'd rather they left the books alone completely than made them without mentioning religion. Or maybe just waited a few years until maybe people are a bit more open minded if that ever happens.

It's so funny I'm haemorrhaging inside.

http://www.savethetivoli.co.uk/
please help save my local cinema cheers

Post #: 24
RE: His Dark Materials Northern Lights - 26/5/2006 5:50:09 PM   
jimoakley666

It'll be interesting to see.

It's cool that Philip Pullman is keeping an eye on it,
Can't wait to see Iorek et al
It's also cool that New Line is doing it, but one thing to remember is, if somebody makes a film of something and cocks it up, doesnt matter, at least we still have the unchanged sourse material. And the internet to scream blue bloody murder about it, ha ha.

Nah. Fingers crossed. I loved the books and was suprised. Its one of the very few Sci Fi/Fantasy books ive enjoyed, with Jurassic Park and X-Men as well.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

(in reply to Katamarang)
Post #: 25
RE: - 26/5/2006 6:21:20 PM   
wdruck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gorfbeast

THE greatest childrens books of all time without question. If they get it right then this film and inevitable sequels could well make a small spectacle wearing wizard cack his pants.

Oh you must have made an error, it looks like you said the greatest kids books when they're some of the worst. Absoloute shit! Incredibly overrated and so so boring.
Post #: 26
RE: RE: - 29/5/2006 3:22:26 PM   
kirk

have to disagree....

these are hundreds times better than anything that has came out for kids lately.....harry potter, series of unfortunate events, and all the others....

this is a genuine book with some really great ideas, well thought out characters and better than most books,

ok so its not on par with lets say lord of the rings, but jesus what is these days, and even they someitmes are boring....

ive read the trilogy many times, and theres always something new that you pick up on....

as for casting, a big YES for nicole kidman i think she'd be fantastic as Mrs Coulter.

im not sure bout the others though....

im actually more bothered about the two lead young actors......as long as they get someone good, unlike most child actors....

but we shall see

(in reply to wdruck)
Post #: 27
RE: RE: - 29/5/2006 5:15:00 PM   
Darth Lex

Haven't read the book, could you please explain what's the whole thing about?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 28
RE: RE: - 29/5/2006 5:55:32 PM   
Baby in the corner.

I think you'll need wikipedia for that one.

Click the link to find out.

Anybody else have any casting suggestions?

< Message edited by Baby in the corner. -- 29/5/2006 5:56:22 PM >

(in reply to Darth Lex)
Post #: 29
RE: RE: - 29/5/2006 7:43:19 PM   
carmencat6

The two leads should be unknown or relatively unknown. But not like the Luna Lovegood child.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> His Dark Materials Northern Lights Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI