Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Haruki Murakami

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Haruki Murakami Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Haruki Murakami - 8/6/2007 9:41:20 PM   
Grunny

Is Haruki Murakami any good?

I saw a selection of his books and read the back they all sound really intressting and different!

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”
Post #: 1
RE: Haruki Murakami - 9/6/2007 12:11:10 AM   
mjwicks

He's my favourite author ever, i wont go into the whole describing his style etc, becasue its nice to discover it for yourself, but i'll just say, yes read his work, read it all and enjoy 

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 2
RE: Haruki Murakami - 10/6/2007 9:02:36 PM   
Casserine

Yes, yes he is.

I've read "Norweigean Wood", "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" and "Kafka on the Shore" and I'd reccommend them all highly. The "Chronicle" is considered by many to be his masterpiece, and I'm inclined to agree. His prose is unlike a lot of things you've read before, it's a simple blend of the mundane facts of every day life and warped dream logic. I always feel really calm and soothed when I'm reading him, even when he's describing scenes of intense torture or sex or death. I'm looking forward to reading more of him!

[URL]http://catherine-mixedupfiles.blogspot.com/[/URL]

(in reply to mjwicks)
Post #: 3
RE: Haruki Murakami - 12/6/2007 4:50:39 PM   
HarryCaul

He is my favourite author of all time too.

I've read a hell of a lot of books over the years, but no author comes close to Murakami for style, comfort reading and just pure brilliance.

Start at the start and let yourself get involved in Murakamiworld

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 4
RE: Haruki Murakami - 8/7/2007 2:04:06 PM   
Zatoichi

Reading a Murakami book, it's as if David Lynch decided to write novels instead, except made them far more accessible and quite frankly more enjoyable. "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" was the first of his I read, and admittedly I got a bit impatient with it at first, but by God was I glad I read through to the end. An incredibly imaginative book.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to HarryCaul)
Post #: 5
RE: Haruki Murakami - 8/7/2007 2:28:06 PM   
ila.aoki

love him more than any writer ever
i've been a fan since 'Kaze no oto wo kike' - Hear the Wind Sing and '1973 nen po pinbohru' - Pinball, 1973 

beautiful, mediatitive, lyrical. he writes of lonliness and surrealism, connects with and makes connections of japan's state of mind and emotional impassivity. he's a millions times better read in japanese but the translaters do a fantastic job in conveying the heart of Murakami-sensei.

ooooh, i feel all gushy!

doesn't have a sig (>_<) (>_<) but does have the vainest avatar ever!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 6
RE: Haruki Murakami - 8/7/2007 3:37:27 PM   
Grunny

I'm half way into read the The Elephant Vanishes

Very surreal, witty, weird yet extremly easier to connect with on a realistic and personal level.

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to ila.aoki)
Post #: 7
RE: Haruki Murakami - 9/7/2007 8:02:08 AM   
Juror Number 8

I was blown away by Cloud Atlas a couple of years ago, and through that found out about Mitchell's influences, mainly Murakami.

He is supoib.  A literary Kurosawa, in that he bridges the gap between typically Western and Japanese styles, his work is accessible but somehow, infuriatingly and rewardingly elusive.

Eeek, artsy nonsense.  Erm, tits.

Anyway, thoroughly recommended.

Shameless plug:
www.QualityCrosswords.com

Juror's film clue:
"Model misses film (10)"

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 8
RE: Haruki Murakami - 19/9/2007 9:08:41 PM   
G.O.B

I bought "Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world" and "The wind-bird Chronicle" and i can't wait to read them thanks to this thread,any other Murakami books i should pick up if i like them? i've heard good things about "Norwegian wood"

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 9
RE: Haruki Murakami - 4/10/2007 8:26:51 AM   
hozay

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

I bought "Hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world" and "The wind-bird Chronicle" and i can't wait to read them thanks to this thread,any other Murakami books i should pick up if i like them? i've heard good things about "Norwegian wood"

You've got yourself  arguably his best two books right there.I loved both of them and Wind-Up Bird is my favourite book by any author.Sputnik Sweetheart and Blind Willow,Sleeping Woman and South Of The Border,West Of The Sun are all worth a read but I'd suggest your next one be Kafka On The Shore,especially if you enjoy the two you have.If you need a little break between Murakami novels but wish to maintain that unique Japanese atmosphere I'd suggest either of the following two books....
The Woman In The Dunes - Kobo Abe
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea - Yukio Mishima (Mishima,like Murakami, will also having you rushing out to find everything else he's written.)

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 10
RE: Haruki Murakami - 4/10/2007 8:59:38 AM   
belluccisbra

I keep meaning to read something by Murakami- which book would be the best introduction?

Exterminate all rational thought

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 11
RE: Haruki Murakami - 4/10/2007 9:44:34 AM   
hozay

The Wind-up Bird Chronicles,without a doubt but make sure it's the full novel translated by Jay Rubin,not the short story poorly translated by someone else (forgot their name).I read A Wild Sheep Chase first and was hungry for more but having read nearly all of his books I would (and often do) suggest Wind-up as a good starting point.
His short stories are contained in Blind Willow,Sleeping Woman or The Elephant Vanishes if you'd like to start that way.

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 12
RE: Haruki Murakami - 13/11/2007 1:29:52 PM   
dh_19

I've just read Norwegian Wood which was pretty cool. From reading this thread, it looks as if i should read the Wind-up Bird Chronicles next! I hope there is less sex with an incredibly wrinkly woman named Reiko in that one. Uuurrrghhh!

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 13
RE: Haruki Murakami - 9/12/2007 4:14:26 PM   
mikioninja

I read Kafka on the Shore in the summer and was amazed. Definatley a new favourite author for me, any suggestions on which of his books would be good to read next?

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 14
RE: Haruki Murakami - 10/12/2007 10:57:25 AM   
vernieboy

I'm a big fan with Norweign Wood, Kafka on The Shore and Dance, Dance , Dance being personal favourites

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to mikioninja)
Post #: 15
RE: Haruki Murakami - 2/1/2008 10:40:07 PM   
DaveNewman18

Im getting through Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman slowly but surely, it is unlike anything I have read before, and it is simply delightful to read a short story or two of his before hitting the sack, very dream stimulating.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to vernieboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Haruki Murakami - 27/9/2008 11:36:16 AM   
Jim

I just finished Kafka on the Shore, first book I've read by him. Really enjoyed it, so I'll follow-up on the suggestions here and get the Wind-Up Bird Chronicles next.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 17
RE: Haruki Murakami - 29/9/2008 3:39:50 AM   
ilovebeerme

Just finished Wind Up Bird for the first time and loved it. He seems to manage to project his characters emotions and mind set onto the reader incredibly well. You can't help but relax into it and just go with the flow. Hard Boiled Wonderland next.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 18
RE: Haruki Murakami - 30/9/2008 7:14:40 PM   
Mikey C

I'm about 5 pages from the end of After Dark. I've not decided whether I like it or not though... 

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 19
RE: Haruki Murakami - 30/9/2008 8:15:55 PM   
Filmfan 2

Reading The Wind Up Bird Chronicle at the moment. Enjoying it so far.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 20
RE: Haruki Murakami - 4/10/2008 4:24:39 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

I'm about 5 pages from the end of After Dark. I've not decided whether I like it or not though... 

i read that - great atmosphere but i thought it was abit weak.

luckily its a short read.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 21
RE: Haruki Murakami - 18/10/2008 6:35:39 PM   
Mikey C

I enjoyed Norwegian Wood... I like the sense of nostalgic melancholia and the themes of death and madness and stuff. But not the constant references to handjobs.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 22
RE: Haruki Murakami - 29/10/2008 9:15:07 AM   
Jim

I'm almost done with The Wind-Up Bird now, really enjoyed it again, so I was thinking of getting either Norwegian Wood or Sputnik Sweetheart. Any thoughts?

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 23
RE: Haruki Murakami - 10/11/2008 12:52:37 PM   
Acho

I have a book/film club that meets once a month in my house and I'm going to pick a Murakami book for next month. After re-reading this thread, I think I'm going to go with The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle to start (they'll kill me - they were hoping for a nice easy read over Christmas!), but will be reading Kafka on the Shore myself first (for the Empire Book Club!). I'm really looking forward to both. It's been a while since I've consciously started reading a specific author's works. If the comments on this thread are anything to go by, I'm in for a treat!

I do have a film question though. I was going to pick a Kurosawa film anyway, to have a Japan theme. Juror Number 8's comment above re-inforced that for me ("A literary Kurosawa, in that he bridges the gap between typically Western and Japanese styles"), but I'm just not sure what one to pick. I reckon one of Seven Samurai, Ran or Ikiru might be best. I'm just wondering, for those who are familiar with Murakami's books, is there a Kurosawa film that you feel would make a complementary partner? Be it similar themes, tones, plot, etc. Any comments/suggestions appreciated!

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 24
RE: Haruki Murakami - 12/11/2008 3:50:16 PM   
Acho

Shameless, selfish bump to try to bring a bit more attention to this!

In brief: does anyone know if there is a particular Kurosawa film which would complement Murakami; more specifically, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle?

I figure a book thread on a film forum is the best place to ask!

Ta!

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 25
RE: Haruki Murakami - 12/11/2008 6:08:20 PM   
rupert303

Read Norwegian Wood or Hard Boiled Wonderland at the End of the World - those are his two best, IMO

will try and think of some films, too

< Message edited by rupert303 -- 12/11/2008 6:12:28 PM >

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 26
RE: Haruki Murakami - 16/11/2008 1:33:14 PM   
Circe

I've read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and it blew me away. I also read Kafka on the Shore, which is probably slightly more accessible, but I thought it went on a bit too long.

All the same - great books, fantastic prose and a sense of otherworldliness made more believable than any other author I've ever heard of.

My signature is clever and witty

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 27
RE: Haruki Murakami - 26/11/2008 7:36:57 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Finished reading Kafka On The Shore yesterday, best book I've read in a while. Can't decide what's next, Hard Boiled Wonderland At The End Of The World, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Norwegian Wood. I've got a feeling Norwegian Wood may be more accessible, and I'm going to be taking a break inbetween Murakami's anyway so it might be better to ease back in.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Circe)
Post #: 28
RE: Haruki Murakami - 24/2/2009 6:41:53 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Just finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and for me it tops Kafka On The Shore by quite a margin. Norwegian Wood next I think, Murakami's becoming one of my favourite authors.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 29
RE: Haruki Murakami - 24/2/2009 6:48:29 PM   
sanchia

I am halfway through Hard Boiled Wonderland At The End Of The World and I think I have just got the idea of what it is about.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Haruki Murakami Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI