Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  991 992 [993] 994 995   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 1:10:51 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

TWIN PEAKS - FIRE WALK WITH ME is one of my favourite ever films... very different in tone to the TV show... truly shocking and scary in parts... and BTW, the soundtrack album is one of my favourite albums ever...

It should deffo be watched after familiarising yourself with the TV show. Don't get me wrong, there's still a hell of a lot that will have you scratching your head, but that's the beauty of it...

What pisses me off a bit is that there was so much stuff filmed that has NEVER been released, including scenes with several beloved characters... rumour has it that the original cut was about four hours long. There are so many of us that would kill to see some of that stuff, but despite a couple of re-releases over the years, we get scant extras...

C'mon, Mr Lynch, it's been over 20 years!

There's a strong chance that the deleted footage will appear on the blu-ray boxset.

In other news, please tell this is a joke http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Expendabelles-Gets-Director-Releases-Embarrassing-Plot-Details-41518.html

Sexist much?

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 7/2/2014 1:13:19 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 29761
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 9:15:21 AM   
Hobbitonlass

This sounds like a top night out (or would have been).....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-26066153

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29762
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 1:46:22 PM   
impqueen

Do I give up my reasonable (yet hated) job in the city and make off for the middle of nowhere to work at something completely different for less than half my current pay?

Yes, always.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 29763
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 5:22:39 PM   
musht

Clearing out my room I found a cinema ticket for Back To The Future from 2010.

I have no recollection of this

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29764
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 6:59:19 PM   
sanchia

Maybe you will at some point go back in time and see the film again and leave the ticket as an enigmatic clue to something...

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 29765
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 7:26:32 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Do I give up my reasonable (yet hated) job in the city and make off for the middle of nowhere to work at something completely different for less than half my current pay?

This me every hour, on the hour.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29766
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 7:43:04 PM   
Valanya

quote:

If the new job would be one you liked, and living out of the city would mean your outgoings would be much lower (or you could just live with having less/little disposable income) then yes.

Otherwise, no.

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29767
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 8:38:39 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Maybe you will at some point go back in time and see the film again and leave the ticket as an enigmatic clue to something...

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 29768
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 8:48:14 PM   
elab49

quote:

Something different is a bit different from 'something you've always dreamed of doing'. Different in itself isn't necessarily the thing?

I read an article recently about people working out how to downsize and a high proportion of them were saving in costs what they were losing in London wages. Half seems a bit much though - but there's no profit in continuing to do something you despise if you have options.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29769
RE: What are you thinking......... - 7/2/2014 11:51:07 PM   
rawlinson

I can't decide what's making me happier, the great reviews of The Lego Movie or the great reviews of Grand Budapest Hotel.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29770
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/2/2014 10:24:51 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

I can't decide what's making me happier, the great reviews of The Lego Movie or the great reviews of Grand Budapest Hotel.

Latter - meh. The same reviewers always give his stuff fawning reviews

Lego Movie is a surprise so I'll be taking my niece on Monday, probably (it's half term up here so I think it's showing a bit earlier). Nephew isn't interested though - trailer did nothing for him. Instead we ended up at Mr Peabody last week thanks to them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29771
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/2/2014 2:59:54 PM   
rawlinson

It must be killing you that the film is getting compared to Lubitsch.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29772
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/2/2014 3:38:54 PM   
elab49

Is it? I've not read any reviews - based on his other work he doesn't have the subtlety but anyone can surprise. I'll wait till DVD tho'.

Although it sounds more like the kind of facile comparison reviewers often come up with. (And I genuinely mean that beyond my dislike for Anderson's work - most of the review comparisons you seem to read from people trying to place themselves in the market, these days, seem pretty facile IMO).

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29773
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/2/2014 4:45:32 PM   
impqueen

So I知 taking the plunge and changing careers, it値l either be an unmitigated disaster or an excellent life altering decision.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29774
RE: What are you thinking......... - 8/2/2014 4:50:24 PM   
elab49

quote:

So I知 taking the plunge and changing careers, it値l either be an unmitigated disaster or an excellent life altering decision.

Good luck! Already makes you braver than I ever was

quote:

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29775
RE: What are you thinking......... - 10/2/2014 5:12:59 PM   
DancingClown

I'm still completely baffled by Curling.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29776
RE: What are you thinking......... - 10/2/2014 6:52:39 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

New Utd manager

You'll be a roaring success. Best of luck impy

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29777
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 1:00:57 PM   
horribleives

Last night I watched one of the worst horror movies I've seen in ages (Mama) followed by one of the best (Banshee Chapter). Yet the nasty nightmare I had was inspired by Mama, a film roughly 100 times less scary than one of those Scooby Doo episodes featuring Scooby Dum and not Banshee Chapter, which was terrifying and made me never want to hear the sound of an ice cream van jingle ever again. Weird.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 29778
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 1:56:29 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Last night I watched one of the worst horror movies I've seen in ages (Mama) followed by one of the best (Banshee Chapter). Yet the nasty nightmare I had was inspired by Mama, a film roughly 100 times less scary than one of those Scooby Doo episodes featuring Scooby Dum and not Banshee Chapter, which was terrifying and made me never want to hear the sound of an ice cream van jingle ever again. Weird.

It's that movement that freaks you I think. THe short that came before Mama was better, and so was the trailer. It's just the film is a bit kak. but I think you can see why it would cause the worst dreams?

quote:

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 29779
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 2:09:06 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

It's that movement that freaks you I think. THe short that came before Mama was better, and so was the trailer. It's just the film is a bit kak. but I think you can see why it would cause the worst dreams?

I think the dream was only partially inspired by it - the rubbish villain wasn't even in it, just the feral children in the woods, one of whom I believe was my niece, and the woods were actually the ones at the bottom of my old school field. Having said all that, though it made little sense, it was still way better written and directed than Mama and the effects were infinitely superior.
It's interesting that Del Toro as a producer (The Orphanage aside) is responsible for some of the lamest, tamest and -crucially - most visually unconvincing horror flicks of the last few years. But I guess that's what mainstream American horror does these days. I mean, the CGI in Mama and Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark...jesus wept.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29780
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 2:14:24 PM   
elab49

I wondered if the credit was basically recognising the short as pretty impressive rather than being actively involved in the short's director not being up to making a decent feature. He helped give someone promising a shot but the shot was a dud?

quote:

Post #: 29781
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 2:32:52 PM   
horribleives

Who knows, perhaps directors just have a different sensibility or priorities when they've got their producer's hat on - look at some of the tripe Sam Raimi's put his name to.
It just seems a bit strange that the American stuff he's helped get made is pretty much in line with everything that's crap about mainstream horror and the polar opposite of the likes of Pan's Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone or Cronos. Obviously his creative input is nowhere near the same but you'd think at some point he might have stuck his head in the edit booth and though 'woh, hold on lads - it's not a great idea to reveal your witch-monster-thing so early on, especially when the CGI looks like something knocked up by the tea-boy'.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29782
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 2:42:08 PM   
elab49

I think executive producer is basically a name because he found the original property? His real problem was using the word 'presents' - that implied he saw it and still liked it

I've always thought Luther was badly written, relying on the superb Elba for it's popularity - the fact Cross turned out arguably the worst shit ever to hit Dr Who helped confirm that (followed by a massive copy/paste of horrors). Unsurprised to discover he worked on Mama.

quote:

Post #: 29783
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 3:13:45 PM   
horribleives

I've never seen Luther but I don't think the problems with Mama were to do with the writing - the same script probably could've been quite effectively shot on a lower budget with less sheen and much less reliance on tired, obviously placed 'shocks' and been ten times the film. And by using a barely-glimpsed actor or actress with subtle, clever make-up rather than a gleaming CGI monstrosity that would've been cut from the first two Harry Potter films for not being scary enough. But hey, that's what the studios do and they must be successful otherwise they, er, wouldn't. It's just depressing to see interesting filmmakers enabling this bland, safe state of affairs. To bring this full-circle, a movie like Banshee Chapter is the type of film you'd expect to see a visionary like Del Toro producing - it wasn't perfect but it had mystery and menace in spades and made no attempt to pander to the comfortable studio horror template.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 11/2/2014 3:14:41 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29784
RE: What are you thinking......... - 11/2/2014 3:17:11 PM   
elab49

I've got it on rental but the synopsis didn't grab me.

There's a British film coming to DVD soon called The Borderlands, tho', and that's had pretty good write-ups.

quote:

Post #: 29785
RE: What are you thinking......... - 13/2/2014 3:45:57 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

How do people eat three course meals? I had two courses 5 hours ago and I still can't look at food.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29786
RE: What are you thinking......... - 13/2/2014 4:22:39 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

How do people eat three course meals? I had two courses 5 hours ago and I still can't look at food.

Yeah, but you're a dwarf. Probably all that ale you quaffed before, during and after.

Me? My claim to fame is double booking myself for Christmas dinner one year and eating 3 courses twice in a matter of hours.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 29787
RE: What are you thinking......... - 13/2/2014 7:31:26 PM   
UTB

Beer? Beer.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29788
RE: What are you thinking......... - 13/2/2014 9:49:23 PM   
UTB

For some reason (probably the above), I totally thought Valentine's Day was on Saturday. I even laughed to myself at the train station earlier that the flowers people were buying probably wouldn't last til Saturday... then I get home and Mrs UTB has got a card and present ready...

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 29789
RE: What are you thinking......... - 13/2/2014 10:15:30 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

For some reason (probably the above), I totally thought Valentine's Day was on Saturday. I even laughed to myself at the train station earlier that the flowers people were buying probably wouldn't last til Saturday... then I get home and Mrs UTB has got a card and present ready...

But at least you had beer, right?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 29790
Page:   <<   < prev  991 992 [993] 994 995   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  991 992 [993] 994 995   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI