Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  986 987 [988] 989 990   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 13/1/2014 1:21:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

So keep at it - I'm beginning to think you can get readers block like you get writers block and it'll pass. I promise

This. I can go months without picking up a book but then something clicks and I get straight back into it.

I thought that reading A Song Of Ice and Fire last year might have got me out of the slump. I read them all in two months (quicker than it took me to read The Pirates! In An Adventure WIth Scientists earlier in the year, which is about a 15th the size of the Ice and Fire Books) but in the two months since I've read half of a graphic novel. That's why I'm starting the Master and Commander series. The first book is an old favourite and I'm hoping the prospect of a long series will make me want to continue reading and actually pick them up once in a while.

I blame The Prestige for this. I started it soon after the film came out, and up until that point I was reading all the time and had never given up on a book. Determined to finish it but not wanting to actually read it, it took me 18 months to complete.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29611
RE: What are you thinking......... - 14/1/2014 7:37:01 PM   
sanchia

By crikey, is that Magnum on Murder She Wrote?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 29612
RE: What are you thinking......... - 14/1/2014 7:44:47 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Novel Connection & Magnum on Ice! Landmark television!

Yes, always.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 29613
RE: What are you thinking......... - 14/1/2014 7:54:00 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Novel Connection & Magnum on Ice! Landmark television!

Indeed

The syndicated version of Novel Connection ends differently, with no cliffhanger so watching them both one after the other on Netflix is a wee bit odd if seeing them for the first time.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 29614
RE: What are you thinking......... - 14/1/2014 8:06:22 PM   
horribleives

While the posts about James Joyce on this page didn't quite inspire me to read one of his books, they have given me an overwhelming urge to listen to Potato Junkie by Therapy? so god bless you all.

As far as reader's block goes, while I'm always reading something I'm a lot slower than I used to be and probably only average about 10 a year now. Though I've started 2014 off with a bang by polishing off three already - Difficult Men By Brett Martin, a re-read of The Shining before I start Dr Sleep, and NOS4R2 by Joe Hill, the only downside being the fact that the latter was hugely disappointing.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 29615
RE: What are you thinking......... - 15/1/2014 9:40:10 AM   
elab49

Quickly turned over TV when Gideon turned up on BBC News to something where people try and emigrate to Aus/NZ. THey seem wholly unrealistic about this - the woman appears to think that the idyll also means she'll work less hard or work fewer hours. Bafflingly stupid TV.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 29616
RE: What are you thinking......... - 15/1/2014 11:31:53 AM   
MonsterCat

The Golden Raspberries thing has completely outstayed its welcome at this point, hasn't it?

Oh look, they've nominated the latest pile of Adam Sandler starring rubbish for the millionth time. Isn't that hilarious and subversive?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29617
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:27:23 PM   
rawlinson

As funny as I find the entitled cry baby whining that follows the Oscar nominations each year, would it be too much to ask for people to actually do a little bit of research into how they work? Just for one year?

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29618
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:35:30 PM   
elab49

Blue? The number of people who don't understand France sent Renoir does seem to be quite high.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29619
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:35:45 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

As funny as I find the entitled cry baby whining that follows the Oscar nominations each year, would it be too much to ask for people to actually do a little bit of research into how they work? Just for one year?

You'd think so, right?

I'm not too overly concerned about the Oscars but it was cool to see Gravity get nommed. Finally, the Academy have recognized a sci-fi film made purely for the sake of entertainment.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29620
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:42:56 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Blue? The number of people who don't understand France sent Renoir does seem to be quite high.

You get that every year, and I'm willing to let the foreign language confusion slide a little more, because it is at the more arsey end of the nominations scale. I'm just talking about the really simple stuff like not knowing the voting isn't done by five people who just pick out what to put in each category, that it's a complex procedure involving thousands of people. Or that different people vote in each category, so just because a film like Captain Phillips got nominated in certain categories, it doesn't follow that it'll be nominated in every single category it was eligible for. I get that some people have no interest in cinema, and I get that some people who are interested in cinema have no interest in the Oscars, but if you're going to a website dedicated to discussing cinema and you take the time to rant about the Oscars, you'd think you'd have done the slightest bit of research first.

quote:

Finally, the Academy have recognized a sci-fi film made purely for the sake of entertainment.

To be fair, they have done before - Star Wars, E.T.,District 9, Avatar, etc.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29621
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:48:05 PM   
elab49

Avatar was made to make a point about terminology. I refuse to believe that at any point that horseshit was made to entertain.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29622
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:50:03 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Avatar was made to make a point about terminology. I refuse to believe that at any point that horseshit was made to entertain.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Avatar. I guess I just proved Rawlinson's point. I haven't seen that yet, though.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29623
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:51:06 PM   
rawlinson

I'd say don't waste your time, but I'd say that about pretty much every Cameron film and there are some odd people out there who assure me they really do think Aliens is a good film.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29624
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:52:58 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'll have to watch the final episode of Sherlock again as I think it was one of the best pieces of TV I've watched in ages, so I'm confused to what others are talking about.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29625
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:53:19 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
I guess I just proved Rawlinson's point.

Missed that bit when I first responded. Do you mean my point about the Oscars? Again, I wouldn't say that it does, because that involves being a bit anal and able to remember what's been nominated. If I ever go on Pointless I would fucking nail the films rounds. Which is a bit different to the basics, I think. Like if you're ranting that the people voting are idiots for not nominating Tom Hanks, that one of those idiots would be Hanks himself.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29626
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:54:21 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I'll have to watch the final episode of Sherlock again as I think it was one of the best pieces of TV I've watched in ages

Agree totally.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 29627
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:57:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

I'd say don't waste your time, but I'd say that about pretty much every Cameron film and there are some odd people out there who assure me they really do think Aliens is a good film.

Hey! Even Scorsese makes the odd watchable film.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29628
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 6:59:15 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Aliens is good. It's just that when stacked up against something as elegantly put together as Alien it really does pale in comparison.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29629
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:01:54 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

Aliens is good. It's just that when stacked up against something as elegantly put together as Alien it really does pale in comparison.

It pales in comparison when you stack it up against Plan 9 from Outer Space, never mind Alien.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29630
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:03:56 PM   
MonsterCat

Actually Plan 9 is really entertaining and fun.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29631
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:09:59 PM   
rawlinson

It is, I love the film, but I wouldn't say it was made by the most elegant of directors.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 29632
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:17:00 PM   
Hood_Man

Scorsese and Aliens receiving an ass kicking?

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29633
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:21:24 PM   
rawlinson

Can you imagine how good Aliens could have been if made by a director with more talent than Cameron? Like Tommy Wiseau or Ray Dennis Steckler.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 29634
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:32:51 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

Can you imagine how good Aliens could have been if made by a director with more talent than Cameron? Like Tommy Wiseau or Ray Dennis Steckler.

After all these years, you've gone Gimli.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29635
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:33:59 PM   
garvielloken

Ah, Ray Dennis Steckler. Why the hell is it so hard to find Rat Pfink a Boo Boo online? You'd expect that shit to be up on youtube or vimeo in full, but no dice.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29636
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:36:15 PM   
rawlinson

I've always been very vocal about hating Aliens (and Cameron in general), I'm surprised there's anyone left to be surprised about it.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 29637
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:37:35 PM   
Darth Marenghi

It's clearly passed me by somehow, Rawls!

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29638
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:38:01 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Ah, Ray Dennis Steckler. Why the hell is it so hard to find Rat Pfink a Boo Boo online? You'd expect that shit to be up on youtube or vimeo in full, but no dice.

"Remember Boo Boo, we only have one weakness - Bullets."

You can get it on R1 for under $10. Worth every penny.

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 29639
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/1/2014 7:41:31 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

It's clearly passed me by somehow, Rawls!

I also only like about seven Spielberg films, thought I should break more of the bad news to you.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 29640
Page:   <<   < prev  986 987 [988] 989 990   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  986 987 [988] 989 990   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI