Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  968 969 [970] 971 972   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 10:11:15 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I can't believe you can park blocking a driveway and not see it. And if I can believe that someone can do that then I have to fear for the times they might not see a cyclist or someone on a motor bike or a child crossing the road. And having paid the best part of 5 grand for the drive to be put into the house by way of having to have architects drawings, apply for planning permission and pay the council for the work I'll be none too happy for the attitude from some ignoramous that I can't now use it if it is more convenient for them to park blocking it.

I'll bore you with details because I feel like it: The driveway is off of a main road, the MiL's brother's house backs onto the same road. There are two rather plain high walls either side of the driveway. The driveway itself is more of a hill leading up to the house, if you'd paid £5k for it I would have been stunned at your stupidity and taken pity on you.

I wouldn't have parked there, I don't like it if someone parks near my driveway. In fact, I get annoyed when anyone even parks outside my house. People can be territorial arseholes. But I'd never touch someone's property because of it.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 29071
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 10:17:38 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

My daughter comes home from college (she's just started) yesterday and I asked her what she had done, eaten etc. She said she wanted a packed lunch tomorrow as the canteen only serves Halal Meat (she eats meat but she's decided she doesn't agree with Halal)
Now, being a multi-cultural city, I understand Halal meat has to be offered. I don't eat meat myself but curiously I have no problem with Halal if this is what their religion decides. I do however find it odd that non-Halal meat is not served.
"It complicates things" said the chef "so we just serve only Halal"
So my daughter and her friends didn't eat from the canteen. I think they're being a bit dramatic but I defend their right to eat non-Halal meat just as much as I'll defend someone's right to only eat Halal meat, I didn't honestly think they wouldn't be allowed to serve an alternative?

Interesting one. I'm not religious one way or the other, but this is one of my major problems with organised religion. When their beliefs and requirements are held to be important, it trumps anyone else's views. And you can't argue with them because you are an anti-religious bigot for daring to take a different view.

This may be my ignorance, but isn't halal meat just a way of killing it (and no bacon - boo!)? Why would it impact on the dishes served, or the taste of them? I can see the practicality argument but from their view perhaps it's also pretty irrelevant because they just make the meals they always do, just with meat from a different supplier. So I'm not sure why someone would refuse it, unless it's an ethical thing wrt the way the animal is killed? I only recall the word 'humane' about that, but that may be misrecalled too.

You are quite right and this is why there is no option. The animals is supposedly stunned/knocked out prior to having it's throat cut. As I explained to my daughter, it's not as if it's writhing around in agony before it dies (I don't think) I also explained that they do this to 1 animal per shipment (apparently) which is good enough to qualify it all as Halal.
As I also explained to my daughter, there is nothing to say you can't eat it, which is why there is no option. Some people can only eat Halal, but there is nothing to say you can't, unless you form your own religious group to say you reuse Halal, then after a certain period of time, coupled with a certain amount of followers, your voice might be heard.

As Prof Moriarty says above, you can't argue without being looked upon as some kind of bigot.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 29072
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 10:18:26 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My daughter comes home from college (she's just started) yesterday and I asked her what she had done, eaten etc. She said she wanted a packed lunch tomorrow as the canteen only serves Halal Meat (she eats meat but she's decided she doesn't agree with Halal)
Now, being a multi-cultural city, I understand Halal meat has to be offered. I don't eat meat myself but curiously I have no problem with Halal if this is what their religion decides. I do however find it odd that non-Halal meat is not served.
So my daughter and her friends didn't eat from the canteen. I think they're being a bit dramatic but I defend their right to eat non-Halal meat just as much as I'll defend someone's right to only eat Halal meat, I didn't honestly think they wouldn't be allowed to serve an alternative?

Interesting one. I'm not religious one way or the other, but this is one of my major problems with organised religion. When their beliefs and requirements are held to be important, it trumps anyone else's views. And you can't argue with them because you are an anti-religious bigot for daring to take a different view.

This may be my ignorance, but isn't halal meat just a way of killing it (and no bacon - boo!)? Why would it impact on the dishes served, or the taste of them? I can see the practicality argument but from their view perhaps it's also pretty irrelevant because they just make the meals they always do, just with meat from a different supplier. So I'm not sure why someone would refuse it, unless it's an ethical thing wrt the way the animal is killed? I only recall the word 'humane' about that, but that may be misrecalled too.

I understood from the way the animal is killed was their problem. I'm not really on the best ground to grade humane ways of killing animals, but halal doesn't appear (from what I know about it, which might be a bit limited) to be at the top of that list.

Though, I'd eat it

Seems to be a lot of argument out there - some biology based (it cuts a specific artery that does stop pain) etc, a lot pointing out even best practice there is compromised by mass production. I was reading one link that referred to a Nicky Campbell show that also notes a lot of chain restaurants (Nandos, Dominos, Brewers Fayre, Subway) and many supermarkets use halal meat without labelling it, so we're probably all eating it (the claim is that pretty much all NZ lamb is halal and a fair chunk of UK lamb) - the latter claim is referenced to a Fail article.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 29073
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 10:20:43 AM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are quite right and this is why there is no option. The animals is supposedly stunned/knocked out prior to having it's throat cut. As I explained to my daughter, it's not as if it's writhing around in agony before it dies (I don't think) I also explained that they do this to 1 animal per shipment (apparently) which is good enough to qualify it all as Halal.
As I also explained to my daughter, there is nothing to say you can't eat it, which is why there is no option. Some people can only eat Halal, but there is nothing to say you can't, unless you form your own religious group to say you reuse Halal, then after a certain period of time, coupled with a certain amount of followers, your voice might be heard.

As Prof Moriarty says above, you can't argue without being looked upon as some kind of bigot.

I hadn't come across the 1 animal per shipment thing. But Iooking around a lot of people do make it a specifically ethical argument which seems entirely fair to me. I bet the Subway usage would surprise a lot of right on students who live off the stuff.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 29074
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 10:21:08 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I wouldn't have parked there, I don't like it if someone parks near my driveway. In fact, I get annoyed when anyone even parks outside my house. People can be territorial arseholes. But I'd never touch someone's property because of it.

My missus hates it if anyone parks near our driveway. As I've explained to her countless number of times, as long as they are not blocking you in, there's fuck all you can do about it. She has put a note on a car before, but perhaps this was the final straw and your mother-in-law copped it full on.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29075
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 10:49:02 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

I also explained that they do this to 1 animal per shipment (apparently) which is good enough to qualify it all as Halal.

This is bonkers. If you are going to eat food prepared in a special way, at least prepare it in that way. Not one chicken every other Sunday died like that so its okay for the rest of them.

As I've said, I've no idea of the ins and outs of this preparation or any other. Then again, I'm the worst person in the world on food prep. I've been known to walk past a group of students protesting that a shop was selling foie gras, get in there and think... "you know what? I fancy a nice bit of foie gras" and picked some up

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 29076
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 2:21:15 PM   
sanchia

It seems like quite a process

quote:

The slaughtering rules (dhabh in Arabic) for Halal, which are based on Islamic teachings, ethics and jurisprudence need to strictly follow the guidelines below:
-
• Our abattoirs are under constant supervision by us
• The premises, equipment and machinery must be classed according to Islamic Shariah (Law) before any production takes place
• A trained Muslim man should slaughter the animal in a licensed slaughter house with the implementation of all the hygiene and animal welfare regulations
• The slaughterman must be a mature and pious Muslim of sound mind who fully understands the fundamentals and conditions relating to Halal slaughter and must be licensed by the Meat Hygiene Service
• The animal/bird must be fed and grown on natural vegetarian diet
• The animal/bird must be alive, healthy and free from any disease or injury at the time of slaughter. This should be certified and checked by a veterinary surgeon
• The animal’s skin or fur and bird feathers must be clean prior to slaughter and free from faeces, dirt or other unhygienic substances
• The animal/bird should be fed and should not be hungry or thirsty before slaughter
• The animal should not be slaughtered in front of other animals and no blood seen so that no stress or discomfort has been caused to the animal
• The animal should be handled gently and individually
• The knife should be very sharp and clean and should not be sharpened in front of any animal before slaughter
• The Muslim slaughterman says the following before slaughtering: in the name of Allah, Allah is greatest (Bismillah, Allah Akbar)
• The cut to be done in the right anatomical position in the throat by cutting the two carotids, the two jugulars, the windpipe and the gullet, but without cutting the spinal cord
• All blood should be allowed to be drained from the carcass
• A specific time should be allowed till the animal ceases any movement
• De-feathering, de-skinning and evisceration can be done afterwards
• Any unlawful meat like pork should not contaminate Halal meat. Separate knives, equipment and utensils should be used for Halal meat

I get the impression that a lot of the opposition relates to the manner in which animals did not used to be stunned but it appears that this is now no longer the case and reversible stunning is now used. Although I would think that if all the above is complied with it would be a time consuming and costly process for mass production.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 29077
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 2:35:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

• Any unlawful meat like pork should not contaminate Halal meat. Separate knives, equipment and utensils should be used for Halal meat

What kind of student canteen wont be serving a bacon buttie

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 29078
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/9/2013 8:07:52 PM   
horribleives

It must give PC arseholes a right moral dilemma deciding whether to side with an animal or an ethnic minority.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 29079
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 8:35:17 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

It must give PC arseholes a right moral dilemma deciding whether to side with an animal or an ethnic minority.

= vegetarians.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 29080
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 9:37:40 AM   
UTB

So, I'm on the train this morning and the person in front is watching Forrest Gump. I'm listening to music. Only I find myself watching FG and it gets to the scene where Forrest meets his son for the first time and OHMYGODIAMFUCKINGCRYINGWATCHINGIT.... It's been a very long time since I last saw it but I knew all the dialogue which made it worse....

I've handed in my man-card for today.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29081
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 10:02:16 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

So, I'm on the train this morning and the person in front is watching Forrest Gump. I'm listening to music. Only I find myself watching FG and it gets to the scene where Forrest meets his son for the first time and OHMYGODIAMFUCKINGCRYINGWATCHINGIT.... It's been a very long time since I last saw it but I knew all the dialogue which made it worse....

I've handed in my man-card for today.

I've been trading pictures of puppies with a friend online.

I think my man card expired.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 29082
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 10:19:30 AM   
UTB

Ah my phone is filled with pictures of our dog. I guess mine expired too.

But he's soooooooo cuuuuuuuuute.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 29083
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 10:26:29 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I've been trading pictures of "puppies" with a friend online.

Post #: 29084
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 10:59:59 AM   
homersimpson_esq

You can put any of those words in inverted commas and it changes the meaning.

Oddly enough it just sounds weird if you actually use the correct word and then put it in inverted commas.

Thus:

Would you like to come upstairs and "see my etchings"? is very oo er missus.

Where:

Would you like to come upstairs and "have sex"? is HOLY SHIT WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ASKING ME TO DO?!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29085
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 2:01:38 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 29086
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 2:09:14 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

""

That is disgusting. You monster.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 29087
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 6:57:21 PM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

""

That is disgusting. You monster.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29088
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 7:04:43 PM   
kumar

Im feeling a little let down by my own performance up til this point. Ive done well academically but not managed to translate this at all into a meaningful career that I am really interested. I suppose for the time being im busy with an internship but the money isnt sustainable (i live at home anyway, so why am i concerned?) and its not particularly rewarding at all mentally - though it is better than retail.

I spend a lot of time job hunting and I think im doing alright in terms of networking, ultimately though a lot of job specs seem way beyond my capability and i often feel like an imposter applying to them - even after ive convinced myself that I actually could fit that bill.

Does anyone else feel like that? How long has it taken people to find that job they wanted to do in the first place?

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29089
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 7:31:34 PM   
sanchia

I never have found a job I really want to do. I doubt if many people are lucky enough to actually find such a thing. Sorry to be a downer.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 29090
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 7:41:30 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Im feeling a little let down by my own performance up til this point. Ive done well academically but not managed to translate this at all into a meaningful career that I am really interested. I suppose for the time being im busy with an internship but the money isnt sustainable (i live at home anyway, so why am i concerned?) and its not particularly rewarding at all mentally - though it is better than retail.

I spend a lot of time job hunting and I think im doing alright in terms of networking, ultimately though a lot of job specs seem way beyond my capability and i often feel like an imposter applying to them - even after ive convinced myself that I actually could fit that bill.

Does anyone else feel like that? How long has it taken people to find that job they wanted to do in the first place?

Don't worry buddy, I graduated in 2007 and have ended up in various retails jobs ever since. (Despite always vowing I'd use my degree) Mostly because I don't have a fucking clue what I want to do and also because most of the jobs out there are far beyond my capabilities/intelligence.

So you're not alone!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 29091
RE: What are you thinking......... - 25/9/2013 8:43:29 PM   
indysgill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Don't worry buddy, I graduated in 2007 and have ended up in various retails jobs ever since. (Despite always vowing I'd use my degree) Mostly because I don't have a fucking clue what I want to do and also because most of the jobs out there are far beyond my capabilities/intelligence.

So you're not alone!

I graduated in 2000 and have never been able to get into a position relavent to my degree.

Also, the guy across from me at work really needs a punch in the face.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 29092
RE: What are you thinking......... - 26/9/2013 11:27:14 PM   
Hood_Man

I saw Othello at the cinema tonight (one of those National Theatre live shows). It was a really good production, a great cast, well acted... but really fucking boring.

Sorry to my old English teachers As entertaining as it was when everything was wrapped up in the final scene, I was just so bored the rest of the time. I'd still like to see Kenneth Branagh in MacBeth at some point, though.

Now, "All's Well that End's Well," there's an entertaining piece of Shakespeare!

I hope I can appreciate Danny Boyle's Frankenstein more when that plays in a few weeks.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 29093
RE: What are you thinking......... - 27/9/2013 9:59:02 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I swear I'm getting dumber day by day. I'm struggling to play simple card games and I'm even giving people the wrong money notes when I go to pay for things. Even writing this I nearly posted "right money notes" instead of wrong. I sure hope I'm just having a bad day and I haven't seriously started losing my freaking marbles.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 29094
RE: What are you thinking......... - 27/9/2013 11:46:09 AM   
Chief

On a scale of 0-Type 2 diabetes, how many cakes is too many to eat in one morning? This MacMillan Coffee Morning carry on is going to kill me.

Edit: Also, on further inspection, the two women doing the baking look like Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood.

< Message edited by Chief -- 27/9/2013 11:56:30 AM >

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29095
RE: What are you thinking......... - 27/9/2013 1:50:36 PM   
horribleives

quote:

On a scale of 0-Type 2 diabetes, how many cakes is too many to eat in one morning? This MacMillan Coffee Morning carry on is going to kill me.

Get Fat For Cancer - it's got a nice ring to it.

Just reading the Arnie/Sly interview in the latest issue of Empire. Perhaps something was lost in translation and they were just kidding around but they come across as a right pair of cunts.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29096
RE: What are you thinking......... - 27/9/2013 2:04:39 PM   
matty_b

Good thing Snake Eyes isn't here anymore, he'd no doubt throw a faux-macho threatening insult in the third person at you. In blue, obviously.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 29097
RE: What are you thinking......... - 27/9/2013 3:05:21 PM   
horribleives

quote:

Good thing Snake Eyes isn't here anymore, he'd no doubt throw a faux-macho threatening insult in the third person at you. In blue, obviously.

After no doubt informing me I 'fucked up big time'.
Fittingly enough, it's his idol Stallone who comes across as the most cunty of the two.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 29098
RE: What are you thinking......... - 27/9/2013 5:34:49 PM   
Shifty Bench

Tesco have been forced to take this product off their site-

Surely the most offensive thing about the whole thing is censoring the word 'gay'?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 29099
RE: What are you thinking......... - 27/9/2013 5:42:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I thought it was red when he got really angry?

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 29100
Page:   <<   < prev  968 969 [970] 971 972   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  968 969 [970] 971 972   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI