Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  962 963 [964] 965 966   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 2/9/2013 8:33:41 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown
I just hate Frankie Lampard, although I'm sure the only thing he's ever been accused of raping is the world of children's literature.

Oh, has he written a book?

I'd heard a rumour...

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 28891
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 10:45:27 AM   
DancingClown

So apparently Vinnie Jones is a moronic twat. Who knew?

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 28892
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 12:22:56 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

At the same time there are an awful lot who get found innocent of assault etc when there is overwhelming evidence against them
(wasn't there one who left a footprint on someones face but was found not guilty). Generally the attitude of many footballers needs to alter away from the way it has gone since the 70's and those who are doing good work and are in fact role models need to make themselves more noticeable and to stamp out (forgive the pun) the bad sections. The reason no one stereotypes them as rich do gooders is because the most noticeable and vocal are the arrogant sexually aggressive thugs.

I'd dispute the phrase 'an awful lot' - that implies far bigger numbers than the very small percentage of professionals who've been accused or found guilty of sexual (or any other kind of) assault. And lest we forget, there may well have been some who got off scott-free but there have also been plenty of cases where the accusations were made up.
And the ones doing good work (Drogba, Gerard, Shearer, Bellamy, Cisse, to name a few) are noticeable to people who actually follow football and don't just get their distorted view of them from the press. My point about labelling them as 'rich do-gooders' was a deliberately flippant one - the simple fact being there are overwhelmingly more who do good than bad (and plenty who do neither and simply play football and earn shitloads of money) yet there are no headlines in that: people are much happier buying into the tabloid myth that most of them are 'arrogant sexually aggressive thugs' or 'overpaid rapists'.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28893
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 12:38:29 PM   
Chief

I keep seeing the term 'overpaid rapist'. How much should they be paid?

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 28894
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 1:36:30 PM   
matty_b

Minimum wage, and not a penny more.

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I'd dispute the phrase 'an awful lot' - that implies far bigger numbers than the very small percentage of professionals who've been accused or found guilty of sexual (or any other kind of) assault. And lest we forget, there may well have been some who got off scott-free but there have also been plenty of cases where the accusations were made up.
And the ones doing good work (Drogba, Gerard, Shearer, Bellamy, Cisse, to name a few) are noticeable to people who actually follow football and don't just get their distorted view of them from the press. My point about labelling them as 'rich do-gooders' was a deliberately flippant one - the simple fact being there are overwhelmingly more who do good than bad (and plenty who do neither and simply play football and earn shitloads of money) yet there are no headlines in that: people are much happier buying into the tabloid myth that most of them are 'arrogant sexually aggressive thugs' or 'overpaid rapists'.

Ooh good, I get to tell my Craig Bellamy story. A mate of mine was organising a charity fundraise a few years ago when Bellamy was still playing for Newcastle and he happened to know a pub where he would frequent during his days off. Anyway, he managed to cotton him one day and asked him if he would donate a signed shirt to the raffle. Sure thing, Bellamy said and asked him how much they were hoping to raise (can't remember what it was for now). "£5,000" my mate told him. The next day, the signed shirt gets delivered to my mate's house along with a cheque for five grand.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 28895
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 2:07:07 PM   
DancingClown

That's nothing. I bought a Big Issue the other day.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 28896
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 5:29:47 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

At the same time there are an awful lot who get found innocent of assault etc when there is overwhelming evidence against them
(wasn't there one who left a footprint on someones face but was found not guilty). Generally the attitude of many footballers needs to alter away from the way it has gone since the 70's and those who are doing good work and are in fact role models need to make themselves more noticeable and to stamp out (forgive the pun) the bad sections. The reason no one stereotypes them as rich do gooders is because the most noticeable and vocal are the arrogant sexually aggressive thugs.

I'm not saying most are but you look at the number of premier league football players and proportionate to that number who have been involved in some form of shenanigan and it is a worryingly large number who can indeed be defined as sexually aggressive thugs. It seems to be something which has occurred more in the last thirty years or so which is the same time that the culture of football altered so that probably had an impact. At the same time you never used to have women whose ambition in life was to be the wife or girlfriend of a football player and that is the height of that ambition which is another worrying trend.

That said, and as I mentioned before, those who do good work need to be held as the ideal to aspire to and not those who are the bad eggs which is a media issue.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 3/9/2013 5:33:13 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28897
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 5:43:02 PM   
jonson

Can you put a figure to that worryingly large number of sexually aggressive thugs?

quote:

At the same time you never used to have women whose ambition in life was to be the wife or girlfriend of a football player

I reckon that goes back to the 60's, it's nothing new at all.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28898
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 6:21:28 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not saying most are but you look at the number of premier league football players and proportionate to that number who have been involved in some form of shenanigan and it is a worryingly large number who can indeed be defined as sexually aggressive thugs. It seems to be something which has occurred more in the last thirty years or so which is the same time that the culture of football altered so that probably had an impact. At the same time you never used to have women whose ambition in life was to be the wife or girlfriend of a football player and that is the height of that ambition which is another worrying trend.

That said, and as I mentioned before, those who do good work need to be held as the ideal to aspire to and not those who are the bad eggs which is a media issue.

Such as who (and John Terry shagging his mate's wife, Wayne Rooney paying for hookers or Ashley Cole sending pictures of his cock to a waitress don't count)?
I'm pretty sure there's been far more players wrongly accused of sexual assaults than found guilty. And even then, we're talking a tiny number compared to the amount of players who get on with their jobs and don't do anything more heinous than spend a fortune on over-sized headphones.
I'd agree with Jonson too, women throwing themselves at footballers has been going on since the days of George Best.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28899
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 7:00:22 PM   
sanchia

quote:

John Terry shagging his mate's wife, Wayne Rooney paying for hookers or Ashley Cole sending pictures of his cock to a waitress don't count)

Why don't they? They are all sexually aggressive and reprehensible actions towards the friends, girlfriends and wives involved?

I could bring up the trump card of Joey Barton.

To be honest I am not invested enough in the discussion to research it to any great depth and essentially we are agreeing on the important thing. Those who are true role models need to be promoted more.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 3/9/2013 7:04:25 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28900
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 7:15:22 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

John Terry shagging his mate's wife, Wayne Rooney paying for hookers or Ashley Cole sending pictures of his cock to a waitress don't count)

Why don't they? They are all sexually aggressive and reprehensible actions towards the friends, girlfriends and wives involved?

I could bring up the trump card of Joey Barton.

To be honest I am not invested enough in the discussion to research it to any great depth and essentially we are agreeing on the important thing. Those who are true role models need to be promoted more.

I dunno, they may well have been tender, sensitive lovers for all I know...seriously though, sleazy cheats they may be but my point was they're not rapists.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28901
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 7:16:00 PM   
sanchia

I never said they were.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28902
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 7:21:59 PM   
horribleives

No but when you were talking about this large number of sexually aggressive thugs the discussion was about footballers who've committed sexual assaults not ones who've cheated on their wives.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28903
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 7:37:34 PM   
sanchia

Actually I was referring to the roaming in packs and preying on women who are too foolish and lacking in self respect to realise what is going on see the many reported and verified instances of the so called "spit roast" (an unpleasant term if ever there was one). The thug aspect refers to the proclivity towards acts of violence al la Joey Barton and Bradley Orr . Those who cheat on their wives etc can hardly be called role models and admirable and do bring a reductive quality to the sport.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 28904
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 8:45:47 PM   
DancingClown

Just for the record I wasn't being entirely serious. It was a seemingly flippant remark that I wasn't expecting to have any traction. I don't honestly believe all footballers to be rapists. Peadophiles, maybe, but not rapists.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28905
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 8:53:00 PM   
sanchia

In reality they are lizard people from beyond the stars. A bloke very familiar with football, wearing a turquoise tracksuit told me this.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 28906
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 9:03:40 PM   
superdan

quote:

Actually I was referring to the roaming in packs and preying on women who are too foolish and lacking in self respect to realise what is going on see the many reported and verified instances of the so called "spit roast" (an unpleasant term if ever there was one). The thug aspect refers to the proclivity towards acts of violence al la Joey Barton and Bradley Orr . Those who cheat on their wives etc can hardly be called role models and admirable and do bring a reductive quality to the sport.

Indeed. I prefer to call it a chinese finger trap.

< Message edited by superdan -- 3/9/2013 9:04:01 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28907
RE: What are you thinking......... - 3/9/2013 9:33:07 PM   
sanchia

If you can't get out without assistance you are in real trouble!

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28908
RE: What are you thinking......... - 5/9/2013 8:11:52 AM   
Funkyrae

"Installing Wordpress will be simple. It's a matter of a one-click installation, simply remove this database first and everything will be fine."

Yep. That's not worked and now the website has gone kaploowey.

Support section? Hello? Echo...Echo...Echo...

That's me that is!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28909
RE: What are you thinking......... - 5/9/2013 12:04:27 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Gah, it's just one thing after another with this fucking house. I'd hoped we'd be able to move in properly last week (as opposed to me sleeping there because I'm too shattered to walk to my mum's house after working on the bastard place) but it looks like at least another week and a half before the kitchen is ready to fit and another few days on top of that before I can get a joiner in to sort out the skirting boards and stuff. 

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 5/9/2013 12:06:19 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 28910
RE: What are you thinking......... - 5/9/2013 12:35:03 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Drivers are idiots where fog is concerned.....

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 28911
RE: What are you thinking......... - 5/9/2013 2:32:00 PM   
jonson

Sitting in the office = lovely weather
Day of off tomorrow to play golf = heavy rain.

Arse.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 28912
RE: What are you thinking......... - 5/9/2013 3:38:53 PM   
impqueen

My niece sleeps with one eye open; itís both hilarious and terrifying.

Yes, always.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 28913
RE: What are you thinking......... - 5/9/2013 4:08:11 PM   
elab49

My niece scares my husband anyway. You remember that little psycho from the Haribo interrogation ad? And the new one from the Oreos ad? He thinks they're based on her. Just because she used to use him as a chair.

I don't get many lunches when working from home. it's my own fault - working with the laptop on your lap it's harder to switch off so I tend to eat and read/browse stuff. But this week I've taken two longish lunches to go down the coast a bit to a festival that was advertising, earlier in the week, a Scottish Food and Craft Fayre+Italian Market and from yesterday an added Continental Market.

First trip was a bust. The Scottish Food and Craft Fayre comprised of one genuine local food firm (a confectioner) and 3 food outlets - one French crepe, one goat curry and one closed. No Italian market in sight, lots of cheap trinket stalls.

Today, the stuff above is still there with an added paella/fajita place, bratwursts and noodles. Along with some Greek olives/baklava. And that was it. Shockingly bad.

The reason this isn't in pissed off though is that, instead, I went for a walk along to the end of the prom. About 16degrees, a nice breeze - not too hot, not too cold. A gorgeous view out across the water, along to watch the swans and ducks. And it was just really nice. I should do that more often with my lunchtimes at home - it's only down the road.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 28914
RE: What are you thinking......... - 6/9/2013 12:31:05 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

I have read 8 books in a month.

The upsides of unemployment.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28915
RE: What are you thinking......... - 6/9/2013 3:16:57 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I have a new found respect for anyone who project manages in construction/renovation. Trying to co-ordinate all the workmen coming over in the best order and ensuring that the stuff they need has been delivered on time is one of the most mentally demanding things I've ever done (apart from that one time I did Monstercat's mum when I was sober). The fact that I'm at work all day doesn't help. I have a feeling I'm going to get a bit of grief at this rate because I'm constantly either on the phone with my plumber/joiner/sparky/plasterer or I'm texting them flat out.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 6/9/2013 3:24:32 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 28916
RE: What are you thinking......... - 6/9/2013 6:59:31 PM   
horribleives

Susanna Reid AND Rachel Riley are on Strictly Come Dancing? Oh my god...

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 28917
RE: What are you thinking......... - 6/9/2013 7:18:18 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Despite it feeling like Ultimate Dodgems, hydroplaning isn't fun.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 28918
RE: What are you thinking......... - 6/9/2013 7:25:34 PM   
matty_b

quote:

Susanna Reid AND Rachel Riley are on Strictly Come Dancing? Oh my god...

I KNOW.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 28919
RE: What are you thinking......... - 6/9/2013 8:03:34 PM   
sanchia

Opticians near Matty and horribleives are going to be raking it in due to their impending Saturday evening short sightedness.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 28920
Page:   <<   < prev  962 963 [964] 965 966   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  962 963 [964] 965 966   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI