Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  932 933 [934] 935 936   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 3:50:20 PM   
MonsterCat

Yeah, fuck you Rawlinson.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27991
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 3:53:26 PM   
Hood_Man

^^ Aaaaaand welcome to a new page

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27992
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 3:57:36 PM   
matty_b

I really hopes he clicks into this page and wonders just what the hell he's done.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 22/5/2013 3:58:01 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 27993
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 4:03:39 PM   
rawlinson

I just did. My first thought was because of the politics thread.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27994
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 4:37:59 PM   
Sway

Holy shit.

I just experienced a really bad case of sleep paralysis. Something I've only experienced once, briefly, in my life before. (Woke up in the midst of a dream about a plane crashing into the house and for a couple of seconds couldn't move any of my body)

Went for about a 2 hour nap this afternoon and even after immediately properly waking up from it, I can't tell which part was real which part was dream.

What felt real was waking up half way through - I could see my bedroom door at the foot of my bed and I could see part of my green sleeve (not a euphemism! Had gone to bed wearing a green jumper) out of the corner of my eye because I had one arm tucked behind my head. I decided it was time to get up, but I could not move a muscle. What I'm guessing happened is that I possibly opened my eyes for a second, saw the scene, and immediately fell back asleep but believed I was still awake. Because I then decided there was somebody in the flat and that they had drugged me. Which naturally terrified me and made me want to get out of bed asap. But again, I could not move an inch. And this went on for what felt like ages. I was trying to move to grab my mobile, or just even make some progress by sliding down and out the bed. I was adamant somebody was waiting behind my door, I've never felt so helpless in my life.

All this time I'm looking at my door and seeing part of my sleeve - exactly as it actually was. I don't know how much of it was a dream, and how often I opened my eyes for real. It's all blurred.

At one point I managed to get the arm that was behind my hand to fall onto my face and try to pinch my nose... Again, I'm not 100% sure if this genuinely happened or I was actually asleep. My brain's logic was if I could pinch my nose, I could then pull my whole body forward out of bed...

Anyway eventually I completely woke up, or realised I was genuinely awake and in turn realised I could actually move my limbs again.

I know this is a long, drawn out, boring story, but I had to write down the version of events just so I could try and make sense of them myself. I'm not kidding when I say that's the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced while sleeping. I've not even had nightmares that have come close.

< Message edited by Sway -- 22/5/2013 4:43:06 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27995
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 4:44:48 PM   
bobatim

I'm thinking that I want the paperwork for my new job to hurry up and get here so that I can hand in my notice at this dump and get the fudge out of dodge!

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27996
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 5:59:05 PM   
sanchia

I was cut up on a roundabout the other day by someone who then tried to overtake a van on a blind corner just a few metres further along. Today i saw her cutting between a mini and bus with about three inches on either side (and causing the bus to brake hard) in order to undertake the aforesaid mini. She then proceeded to drive at 40mph along a 60mph stretch causing a bit of a queue Some people are just inherently dangerous and should not be allowed anywhere near a car.

Also I did not realise that a seller could cancel an auction if they did not get the amount of bids they wanted to the level of money they wanted (hence the whole auction thing). If you don't want to risk a low sale price then put a reserve on it.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 22/5/2013 9:01:13 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to bobatim)
Post #: 27997
RE: What are you thinking......... - 22/5/2013 11:53:49 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I'm tempted to try out one of those microfibre travel towel thingies because they look very light and packable, but I don't know how I'd feel about drying myself with a ShamWow.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27998
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/5/2013 8:21:33 PM   
Valanya

I am thinking that it's a bit rich of one of my friends to ask me to provide free vouchers (I make celebration cakes as a sideline) for a raffle at the fundraiser for her new musical, but then ask me to pay full price for a ticket to said fundraiser.

What came first, the music or the misery?

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 27999
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/5/2013 8:38:24 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

I'm tempted to try out one of those microfibre travel towel thingies because they look very light and packable, but I don't know how I'd feel about drying myself with a ShamWow.

I own one. And my only complaint is that I didn't buy one sooner. I can't believe how much room I took up in my backpack on ALL my travel trips by packing a standard beach towel. Seriously, I've been on dozens of trips and I only bought a travel towel about 2 years ago. They take up less room, and are light - which helps for drying out.

Plus you can choose whether to have a micofibre one or a softfibre one. The microfibre towels have more of a towel feel to them, it's the softfibre ones that you're possibly thinking of there.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 28000
RE: What are you thinking......... - 23/5/2013 8:47:21 PM   
SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

I own one. And my only complaint is that I didn't buy one sooner. I can't believe how much room I took up in my backpack on ALL my travel trips by packing a standard beach towel. Seriously, I've been on dozens of trips and I only bought a travel towel about 2 years ago. They take up less room, and are light - which helps for drying out.

Plus you can choose whether to have a micofibre one or a softfibre one. The microfibre towels have more of a towel feel to them, it's the softfibre ones that you're possibly thinking of there.

I took one with me to Bestival last year and turned out to be very useful, considering it was that weekend in September when it was red hot. They also dry very quickly, so that's a plus.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 28001
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 7:42:43 AM   
Sway

I just had yet another horrible dream which woke me up because I was so scared.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 28002
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 8:54:38 AM   
sanchia

Dreams can be nasty things when you think they are real at the time (see the dream thread for my messed up subconscious).

I have a day off, I was going to head out with my camera but it is tipping it down and freezing (less than a month to midsummer day!)

Also Bradley Cooper is the same age as me. I would hate him if he did not appear to be such a pleasant chap.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 24/5/2013 8:57:11 AM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 28003
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 9:15:04 AM   
Harry Tuttle

What with ghost dog's reappearance and now Practically Perfect posting it feels like 2003 again.

On another note thank fuck it's friday. It's been a bastard of a week but at least there's a bank holiday weekend to look forward to. I could do with the break because I am absolutely shattered.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 24/5/2013 9:16:50 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28004
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 9:16:31 AM   
elab49

Partly pissed off ish I suppose. I feel like crap having spent more than an hour at the side of a road last night (mainly the motorway) when the car decided to act up. Lovely RAC arrived, had a look, a drive and we were eventually able to drive home ourselves, very slow, but they're the nice part. I feel really chilled, though, and anti-histamines are telling me this isn't hayfever. I'd to dig out one of the heavy coats from the boot (part of the winter preparations still in the car) and must have looked like I was headed off for an arctic adventure to anyone passing!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 24/5/2013 9:17:04 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28005
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 10:09:24 AM   
sanchia

It feels like winter. The thermometer says its 7c out there today. Did we have a volcano erupt and no one told us and that is blocking the suns rays?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28006
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 5:11:02 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Dreams can be nasty things when you think they are real at the time (see the dream thread for my messed up subconscious).

I have a day off, I was going to head out with my camera but it is tipping it down and freezing (less than a month to midsummer day!)

Also Bradley Cooper is the same age as me. I would hate him if he did not appear to be such a pleasant chap.

Oh, I've posted plenty of my random dreams in that thread before. It's highly unusual for me to have a nightmare though, and Wednesday's sleep paralysis episode was genuinely terrifying.

This morning's was just a standard nightmare - dreamt the world was ending - and I woke myself up from fear.

Ha, I never used to be a fan of Bradley Cooper. Always thought he had a smug face and I always thought he'd actually be like his
character from The Hangover in real life. But in every interview I've seen with him, he's always come across as a really affable guy.

Plus the episode of 'Between Two Ferns' that he's in is my favourite.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 28007
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 7:35:20 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

Ha, I never used to be a fan of Bradley Cooper. Always thought he had a smug face and I always thought he'd actually be like his
character from The Hangover in real life. But in every interview I've seen with him, he's always come across as a really affable guy.

I always had that perception of Matthew McConaughey, who is by all accounts a nice guy too (well at least according to the taxi driver I once had who'd been his private chauffeur one night).

I had a really panicky dream last night that I was on Masterchef and couldn't handle the pressure and ended up just having a complete meltdown. It's weird because that's the third dream of that kind in recent months, very vivid, leaving me feeling quite upset and almost in tears by the time I woke.

Is it possible to suffer from sleep based panic attacks?

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 28008
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 7:58:34 PM   
elab49

It's terrible for the family, but I genuinely don't understand why the bereaved relatives of the man murdered in Woolwich are on TV giving a press conference. It's not relevant to any investigation. which is the normal reason. Did someone tell them they had to because it's somehow expected now, when they were too vulnerable to tell them no?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 28009
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 9:17:09 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It's terrible for the family, but I genuinely don't understand why the bereaved relatives of the man murdered in Woolwich are on TV giving a press conference. It's not relevant to any investigation. which is the normal reason. Did someone tell them they had to because it's somehow expected now, when they were too vulnerable to tell them no?

I hope you are not implying that the media in this country would be so base, so rapacious as to take advantage of grief-stricken and traumatised people... .

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28010
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 9:31:35 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I think that giving a press conference is the best idea for them anyway, it puts them front and centre straight away, they're given a chance to share their thoughts and memories and might make life a little easier in the coming few weeks and the journalist and media vultures hunt them and their extended family and friends down for a comment every five minutes, they're going to be followed around anyway but this gives them a bit of a chance to get ahead of it and offer their statements up in a formal setting, in the long run it's the right call I think.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28011
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 9:36:54 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

I always had that perception of Matthew McConaughey, who is by all accounts a nice guy too (well at least according to the taxi driver I once had who'd been his private chauffeur one night).

I had a really panicky dream last night that I was on Masterchef and couldn't handle the pressure and ended up just having a complete meltdown. It's weird because that's the third dream of that kind in recent months, very vivid, leaving me feeling quite upset and almost in tears by the time I woke.

Is it possible to suffer from sleep based panic attacks?

I am in no way qualified to answer that, but a cursory search on google suggests yes it's possible and probably more common than you'd think! Although the article I just read says the panic attacks are not actually caused by nightmares or dreams themselves.

I'm not really into the whole 'meaning of dreams' business, since mine are usually garbled nonsense (I once dreamt I was being chased by Jesus...then turned into him halfway through the chase), that you simply can't read into. (A friend gave me a book years ago that was like, 'if you dreamt about fish it symbolises good health' and all that crap) However with the likes of the two recent dreams I've had where I've woken up terrified, or your Masterchef one, I think it's safe to say they're probably anxiety related. I can understand why you might be experiencing that, due to all the stresses you've gone through/going through, however I can't think of anything I'm currently anxious about.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 28012
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 9:44:52 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

I think that giving a press conference is the best idea for them anyway, it puts them front and centre straight away, they're given a chance to share their thoughts and memories and might make life a little easier in the coming few weeks and the journalist and media vultures hunt them and their extended family and friends down for a comment every five minutes, they're going to be followed around anyway but this gives them a bit of a chance to get ahead of it and offer their statements up in a formal setting, in the long run it's the right call I think.

But since when did talking to a bunch of strangers with cameras become the de facto way we deal with loss? They could as well have been allowed to tell any press to feck off and shamed them publicly if they didn't instead of being persuaded to this.

quote:

I hope you are not implying that the media in this country would be so base, so rapacious as to take advantage of grief-stricken and traumatised people... .

Which is basically it. Needing to fill 24 hour schedules doesn't mean they get a bye on common decency and demand horrible things like this. WHo on earth wants to sit and watch that kind of raw grief anyway? What kind of sick voyeurs are they pandering too? Just give the poor people privacy and peace.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 24/5/2013 9:45:08 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 28013
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 9:53:24 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

But since when did talking to a bunch of strangers with cameras become the de facto way we deal with loss? They could as well have been allowed to tell any press to feck off and shamed them publicly if they didn't instead of being persuaded to this.

In an ideal world it sounds perfect, but we don't live in one and since when does the majority of the press care for people's privacy and feelings, especially in these kind of circumstances? This gave them an opportunity to get out in front of what is undoubtedly coming they're way, their worlds will be turned upside down even more than they already have in the coming few weeks and this gets them a little ahead of it before every comment is taken out of context and everyone wants to speak on their behalf.

If they wanted to speak publicly as well I'm not at all against that, they are probably one of the few people I want to hear from right now, especially given the way so many others on television have used these events as a soapbox and a launchpad for their deluded, twisted views.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28014
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 10:03:37 PM   
superdan

quote:

If they wanted to speak publicly as well I'm not at all against that, they are probably one of the few people I want to hear from right now, especially given the way so many others on television have used these events as a soapbox and a launchpad for their deluded, twisted views.

Isn't that part of the problem though? What can you possibly expect to hear from them? I'm with elab on this, in that unless they specifically sought out the press themselves then they should have been afforded the grace to grieve in private. And the fact that they've held a press conference does not mean they are now somehow immune to the attentions of the press from now on either.

< Message edited by superdan -- 24/5/2013 10:04:10 PM >

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 28015
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 10:11:06 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Isn't that part of the problem though? What can you possibly expect to hear from them? I'm with elab on this, in that unless they specifically sought out the press themselves then they should have been afforded the grace to grieve in private. And the fact that they've held a press conference does not mean they are now somehow immune to the attentions of the press from now on either.

I normally have the news on in the background when I'm working. I've spent most of today turning several news channels off at various times because I'm not sure what you're 'hearing from' from someone whose grief is so raw they're sobbing uncontrollably. It's not a reality show - no-one should want to see that.

quote:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28016
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 10:19:14 PM   
steffols

The whole handling of this horrible incident by the press has been scandalous. I spent the whole of Thursday trying to scan papers without having to look at that horrible picture on the front of ALL the papers, not just the redtops. When did a photo like that become acceptable on the frontpage of all the papers? If I was a kid (and The Sun is constantly priding itself on being a 'family' paper), I would be utterly terrified of that. My workmate and I both commented that we weren't comfortable looking at that picture, but with every other customer buying newspapers, what choice did we have?

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28017
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 10:21:09 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

I'm not saying I directly do, I'm just stating I'd much rather listen to their memories than listen to the endless commentary we've seen on BBC News 24 over the last few days from people who protest to lead and have all the answers, and who don't and often end up creating more offense, your not going to change the medium of media or the craving in this country for that level of emotion and drama that ranges from the fact soap operas are the most-watched television shows or the fact that magazines like Heat sell the most copies or the world of social media that so many of us are sucked in and engaged too, it's all connected. As I already said it will do little to change the attentions of the press, but it gives them a chance to get ahead of it a little, and given the way the British media has behaved in recent times, especially where these kind of stories are concerned, that is not such a bad idea I think.

quote:

I normally have the news on in the background when I'm working. I've spent most of today turning several news channels off at various times because I'm not sure what you're 'hearing from' from someone whose grief is so raw they're sobbing uncontrollably. It's not a reality show - no-one should want to see that.

There is a difference between wanting to see it because of an urge or desire to watch that kind of thing and watching it out of respect and sympathy, I don't really see how this has just come about today because this kind of thing has been going on for a long time, I'm not at all surprised by the response of the media.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 28018
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 10:25:23 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

The whole handling of this horrible incident by the press has been scandalous. I spent the whole of Thursday trying to scan papers without having to look at that horrible picture on the front of ALL the papers, not just the redtops. When did a photo like that become acceptable on the frontpage of all the papers? If I was a kid (and The Sun is constantly priding itself on being a 'family' paper), I would be utterly terrified of that. My workmate and I both commented that we weren't comfortable looking at that picture, but with every other customer buying newspapers, what choice did we have?

That was my issue as well with the video and the body lying in the background that I aired on the thread in News and Hot Topics. But I'm not at all surprised by any of the actions or the way it's been handled by the press, I'm sure there were a few wry smiles in the offices of chairman and executives of all forms of media across the country on Wednesday afternoon when they learned of this atrocity and realized their numbers were about to go up. It's one of the many reasons I don't buy national newspapers, never have, never will.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 28019
RE: What are you thinking......... - 24/5/2013 10:27:12 PM   
elab49

I genuinely don't get it - what's respectful or sympathetic about watching someone sob in pain and intruding on private grief? It seems to be creating an excuse for media voyeurism - oh, but people want to sit in front of something that private to respect it? That just baffles me.

And ditto on Steffols on the papers - I was really surprised at how distastefully provocative The Guardian's was.

quote:

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 28020
Page:   <<   < prev  932 933 [934] 935 936   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  932 933 [934] 935 936   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI