Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: What are you thinking.........

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  930 931 [932] 933 934   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What are you thinking......... - 16/5/2013 7:36:01 PM   
sanchia

It's a shame how quickly your opinion of someone can change. There is a bloke who I know through work who has always come across as polite and pleasant but in the space of one email which was truly uncalled for, exceptionally rude and offensive I now think he is in fact a bit of a dick.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27931
RE: What are you thinking......... - 16/5/2013 10:10:12 PM   
DancingClown

When I submitted a novel for the Dundee International Book Price I didn't realise that one of the judges was Lorraine Kelly.

Not a fucking chance...

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27932
RE: What are you thinking......... - 16/5/2013 10:18:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

When I submitted a novel for the Dundee International Book Price I didn't realise that one of the judges was Lorraine Kelly.

Not a fucking chance...

I like to think that your novel is pure filth and secretly Lorraine will love it, but never vote for it.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 27933
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/5/2013 7:26:24 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Not a fucking chance...

I like to think that your novel is pure filth and secretly Lorraine will love it, but never vote for it.

Seeing as I didn't actually make the short-list I'm going to assume that's true.

On the plus side I did find a manuscript of a novel I had saved on a pen-drive that I subsequently lost. Thought I had lost it forever. Trouble is I just don't have the energy to slog away at another draft at the moment.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 27934
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/5/2013 9:36:35 AM   
Harry Tuttle

That bacon and egg bap was fucking delish.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 27935
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/5/2013 10:04:11 AM   
Chief

I agreed to play badminton earlier on this week, at 7pm tonight. What the fuck was I thinking?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27936
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/5/2013 5:12:03 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I agreed to play badminton earlier on this week, at 7pm tonight. What the fuck was I thinking?

I'm forever agreeing to things in advance and then getting to the day of said plan and wondering what I was thinking.

I actually had something similar today. Was absolutely wiped by the time I left work, and was in the supermarket picking a few items up when my flatmate text and asked if I wanted to join him and another pal for dinner then the cinema. I was all like, 'yeah count me in!' Then I got back to the flat and collapsed in a heap and realised my mistake. I am going nowhere this evening!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 27937
RE: What are you thinking......... - 17/5/2013 5:22:26 PM   
sanchia

If betting on a race between a swan and a goose always bet on the swan.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27938
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/5/2013 3:40:59 PM   
sanchia

So I get to the cinema to watch Start Trek and am told it is the first screen on the left. I sit down in a very dark screen and a trailer for Fast and Furious 6 starts. Hang on that is not a trailer, that's the start of the film!

Wrong screen (sidles out nonchalantly hoping no one notices)

It turns out because I wanted to see it in 2D it was in the tiny screen which is tucked away behind the other screen and is entered by a poorly signposted door which leads to a corridor with no lights in it which turns sharply left at the end.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 18/5/2013 3:42:56 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27939
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/5/2013 4:43:00 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

So I get to the cinema to watch Start Trek and am told it is the first screen on the left. I sit down in a very dark screen and a trailer for Fast and Furious 6 starts. Hang on that is not a trailer, that's the start of the film!

Wrong screen (sidles out nonchalantly hoping no one notices)

It turns out because I wanted to see it in 2D it was in the tiny screen which is tucked away behind the other screen and is entered by a poorly signposted door which leads to a corridor with no lights in it which turns sharply left at the end.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27940
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/5/2013 4:51:00 PM   
sanchia

Iron Man 3 may have put me off 3D even more so than before.

The 3D finale was the first time I nearly projectile vomited in an auditorium (or at least felt like I was about to).

Anyway I just had to sit in a broom cupboard to watch a film. Pity me.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 18/5/2013 4:52:07 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27941
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/5/2013 5:28:03 PM   
Sway

I can't actually remember last time I saw a film in 3D. I'm fairly certain I didn't see any last year at all.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27942
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/5/2013 7:50:46 PM   
moontheloon

I am wondering if I did the right thing. Someone who previously stole from us was back in the shop today. We confronted him, got him to admit he stole, and pay for the item he previously stole and was banned from the store. But he was wearing his staff uniform for the store in which he worked. So after much deliberation with my manager I went over to his store to speak to his manager. Our thinking was that we had a duty of care to let them know, because if he was stealing from us, a shop just 5 minutes from where he worked, there is always a chance he is stealing from other places, including the place that he works, so I wouldn't want to put them at risk of theft from him. However, because of this he will almost certainly lost his job.

I feel guilty about being the reason for him losing his job, but at the same time I know that what he did was wrong and that he needs to understand that what he did was wrong and has consequences, and potentially he has been stopped from stealing from elsewhere. On the plus side he won't have a criminal record so should be able to get other employment, and hopefully won't make the same mistake twice. Never the less I feel bad about the situation and really don't know if I made the right call.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27943
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/5/2013 10:16:03 PM   
sanchia

Sam Spade is a bigger dick than I remember him being (not in the complimentry sense).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 27944
RE: What are you thinking......... - 18/5/2013 10:30:36 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

When I saw it in 2D (the best way to see it) it was in a smaller screening room away at the arse end of the cinema too. I don't see the point in seeing converted 3D films, it's rubbish. If you have to see 3D, best seeing a film that was actually shot in the format. On the big screen at least.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27945
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 2:35:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The new Doritos Jacked Spicy Buffalo Wings are gorgeous! So nice, in fact, that they've ousted Nice n Spicy Nik Naks from my top 5 crisps.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 19/5/2013 2:37:25 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27946
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 9:21:02 AM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

When I saw it in 2D (the best way to see it) it was in a smaller screening room away at the arse end of the cinema too. I don't see the point in seeing converted 3D films, it's rubbish. If you have to see 3D, best seeing a film that was actually shot in the format. On the big screen at least.

As I was saying I almost had to climb through an air vent to access the screen.

The screen was absolutely packed and I had to perch at the end of a row even though I was 10 minutes before the film was due to start.

A friend of mine later went to the IMAX 3D showing and texted me yesterday evening to tell me that only seven other people were in there with them. It was the same with Iron Man 3. I could not book a 2D showing as they were all sold out and the IMAX 3D showing was me and ten other people. I can't see how it is cost efficient?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 27947
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 11:08:15 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

I am wondering if I did the right thing. Someone who previously stole from us was back in the shop today. We confronted him, got him to admit he stole, and pay for the item he previously stole and was banned from the store. But he was wearing his staff uniform for the store in which he worked. So after much deliberation with my manager I went over to his store to speak to his manager. Our thinking was that we had a duty of care to let them know, because if he was stealing from us, a shop just 5 minutes from where he worked, there is always a chance he is stealing from other places, including the place that he works, so I wouldn't want to put them at risk of theft from him. However, because of this he will almost certainly lost his job.

I feel guilty about being the reason for him losing his job, but at the same time I know that what he did was wrong and that he needs to understand that what he did was wrong and has consequences, and potentially he has been stopped from stealing from elsewhere. On the plus side he won't have a criminal record so should be able to get other employment, and hopefully won't make the same mistake twice. Never the less I feel bad about the situation and really don't know if I made the right call.

You can't steal and not realise there will be consequences for your actions. So it's ultimately his own fault, and if he's stupid enough to return to somewhere he'd stole from and been spotted before, then he's doing himself no favours.

Did the manager of the other store say he would definitely lose his job straight away? Maybe he might keep an eagle eye on him until he see's any suspicious behaviour in his own work?

Post #: 27948
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 4:56:15 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

Did the manager of the other store say he would definitely lose his job straight away? Maybe he might keep an eagle eye on him until he see's any suspicious behaviour in his own work?

They said they would have to suspend him, I imagine this is so a formal investigation can be carried out which would then cover themselves and give them a reason to dismiss him that he couldn't appeal against. That was my take on it anyway.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27949
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 8:47:06 PM   
sharkboy

I found out yesterday that a good friend passed away that morning. He'd taken a seizure on Thursday and had slipped into a coma by the time they got him to hospital, from which he never woke. He had just turned 38. He'd played drums in bands with me for years, but he had a real problem with drink that meant he couldn't really keep drumming, and that also cost him his job and, sadly it sems, his life. I'm caught between feelings of sadness, anger and guilt. Sadness because my friend has died far too young, anger because he just wouldn't listen when we suggested that he needed to seek help for his alcoholism and guilt because I'm left wondering if we could have done something to prevent this. RIP mate, the world is a bit less fun without you

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 27950
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 8:56:31 PM   
sanchia

Sorry to read about that Sharky. It sounds like you tried to help when it was needed but you cannot make a person seek help when they do not want to so try not to feel that guilt.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 27951
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 9:07:28 PM   
matty_b

Yeah, what sanch said, Sharky. Very sorry to hear that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27952
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 10:03:12 PM   
sharkboy

I've just been told that a team of surgeons flew in by Lear jet in the wee small hours and took his heart back to Newcastle where earlier today it was transplanted into a 19-year old youth. It's comforting to know that Gary's still beating out a rhythm even after he's gone.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27953
RE: What are you thinking......... - 19/5/2013 10:13:29 PM   
matty_b

That's amazing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 27954
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/5/2013 11:22:37 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I've just been told that a team of surgeons flew in by Lear jet in the wee small hours and took his heart back to Newcastle where earlier today it was transplanted into a 19-year old youth. It's comforting to know that Gary's still beating out a rhythm even after he's gone.

What Matty said. This is why I carry a donor card. It's a small measure of comfort that in the event of a tragic accident that might take my life, that I can continue to be of use after I've gone. And it would be a small measure of comfort to family and friends, as it is here.

Anyone who wants to join the donor register, it's really easy:

CLICK HERE

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 27955
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/5/2013 11:28:00 AM   
Rebenectomy

That's certainly a positive lining to a tragic story Sharky, hope you're okay. Currently dealing with similar concerns with a friend of mine, though in this case the drinking is part and parcel with what appears to be an increasingly worrying mental health issue. Can't seem to get the person to acknowledge it though, and as a result, can't get them to seek help. It's a friendship minefield to be honest.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 27956
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/5/2013 11:45:13 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

Such a lovely sentiment.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 27957
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/5/2013 12:30:41 PM   
jcthefirst

This Tayto Chesse and Onion Chocolate bar is quite nice.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

Post #: 27958
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/5/2013 12:36:38 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Sorry to hear about the loss of your mate Sharky, it's nice to know that some good has come out of his passing.  I carry a donor card as well   

My next door neighbour but one was an alcoholic (mid to late 30's I reckon) and he seemed a lovely guy, very quiet, never bothered anyone (one time though, I was returning from a night out on New Years Day and looked up as I went to get out the car and he was stood by the car, naked, asking if I had a spare cigarette ).  He moved in about 10 years ago with his wife but they split up not long after.  I don't know whether he had a problem before that but it obiously didn't help as a couple of times a year after that the police would turn up to kick the door in and an ambulance would take him away and he'd be gone a while.  He'd then come back and would seem fine for a bit but being back in the same house can't have helped.   Unfortunately he passed away last year.  I did get annoyed at the regularity of the services having to come and go through the same thing over again but having watched the real life A&E prog at the weekend with the 22yr old alcoholic, you realise just how hard it is to get off once you are on the alcoholic roundabout.  A lot of willpower that I guess he didn't have.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 27959
RE: What are you thinking......... - 20/5/2013 2:17:41 PM   
sharkboy

Thanks for your kind words folks. It's been a difficult couple of days, but it is good to know that amidst the tragedy there has been some hope.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

That's certainly a positive lining to a tragic story Sharky, hope you're okay. Currently dealing with similar concerns with a friend of mine, though in this case the drinking is part and parcel with what appears to be an increasingly worrying mental health issue. Can't seem to get the person to acknowledge it though, and as a result, can't get them to seek help. It's a friendship minefield to be honest.

That was the hardest part here too. This wasn't the first seizure he'd had, but the tablets that he had been prescribed to control them actually made the likelihood of a seizure higher if alcohol was taken. Denial is a powerful thing and the subsequent seizures were blamed on the drugs rather than the root cause of the problem, eventually becoming a downward spiral until it reached its inevitable conclusion on Saturday. I wish we could have been more persuasive in the increasingly less frequent moments of sobriety, but we ended up accepting that any breakthrough we had with him only lasted until his next session and until he recognised that he had a problem, all the persuasion in the world wasn't gonna make much impact.

Good luck with your friend Reb, and remember - friendships can always be repaired.

WWLD?

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 27960
Page:   <<   < prev  930 931 [932] 933 934   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads >> RE: What are you thinking......... Page: <<   < prev  930 931 [932] 933 934   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI